Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think the coach was the root problem. Aside from questions about his offense, or overall coaching ability (those are for other discussions), he obviously lost Aaron Rodgers and communication broke down. It's reasonable to think that that bled into other areas of the team. A huge part of coaching in professional sports is managing egos and I think MM had just been around long enough that his voice wasn't being heard the same. Not necessarily MM's fault, just seems like they need a new voice, someone that can communicate more effectively with the team and, specifically, Rodgers.

It's one of the reasons that I would be ok with McDaniels. He's an experienced OC who obviously has experience dealing with ego. He's about the only guy that can point to results and maybe convince Rodgers to embrace a more horizontal passing game. Just a thought.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is what I fear about Eric Bieniemy with the Chiefs. Everyone knows that’s Reid’s offense.

Absolutely Reid is the chief architect of his offenses, but we've seen his offensive assistants find success without him more than once. Matt Nagy is the most recent example. Before him it was Doug Pederson. Going further back, you have Pat Shurmur. It's no guarantee, but history has demonstrated that you shouldn't fear hiring his offensive coordinators.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely Reid is the chief architect of his offenses, but we've seen his offensive assistants find success without him more than once. Matt Nagy is the most recent example. Before him it was Doug Pederson. Going further back, you have Pat Shurmur. It's no guarantee, but history has demonstrated that you shouldn't fear hiring his offensive coordinators.

I just haven’t seen much from him to suggest he’s capable of being a HC. He doesn’t even call the plays, Pederson and Nagy both did but this year Reid is, if what I’ve read is correct.
Right now imo, Bieniemy is reaping the rewards of being at the right place at the right time with a Coach like Reid and a massive stable of playmakers.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think the coach was the root problem. Aside from questions about his offense, or overall coaching ability (those are for other discussions), he obviously lost Aaron Rodgers and communication broke down. It's reasonable to think that that bled into other areas of the team. A huge part of coaching in professional sports is managing egos and I think MM had just been around long enough that his voice wasn't being heard the same. Not necessarily MM's fault, just seems like they need a new voice, someone that can communicate more effectively with the team and, specifically, Rodgers.

It's one of the reasons that I would be ok with McDaniels. He's an experienced OC who obviously has experience dealing with ego. He's about the only guy that can point to results and maybe convince Rodgers to embrace a more horizontal passing game. Just a thought.

I don't think the root of the problem is any one thing. Nobody will argue a team that loses to AZ won't lose their HC, but at the same time there's definitely no Reggie White in the camp either. That guy was arguably the greatest leader in Packer history.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The talent discrepancy between OH state and almost every other school in the big 10 is pretty big. There is very little recruiting advantage in the NFL and I don't think he'd be as successful with out. Either way, i don't want him.
and why do you think there is that recruiting gap that wasn't fully there even with Cooper and Tressel? Because Parents and HS kids love Urban, he is an excellent recruiter, but if you know much about OSU football, he is also a great game manager. Hell, I am a Badger fan, that can't stand OSU, but I acknowledge that Urban is one of the best in college football. People may not like what happened last year with his assistant Zach Smith, but IMO that wasn't as directly related to who Urban is that some would like to make it.

He isn't going to coach in the NFL, so debating whether he would be a good HC for the Packers is kind of silly anyway.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urban Meyer is a fantastic recruiter, and a terrible person.

I wouldn't even consider him for more than a split second for an NFL job.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Leach, on the other hand, is worth hiring for the press conferences alone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His 49ers knocked us out of the playoffs twice. It was a happy day for me when they fired him, I think they made a big mistake.
Yeah before Harbaugh is completely dismissed as a candidate, it’s important to remember the success he’s had in the NFL and at Michigan. That said, I lived in SF when Harbaugh coached the Niners. He couldn’t get along with the owner, York. Now York was/is a jerk, but I’m not convinced Harbaugh’s competitive/aggressive ways can be limited to the field. He’s a risky candidate, but should be considered.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just haven’t seen much from him to suggest he’s capable of being a HC. He doesn’t even call the plays, Pederson and Nagy both did but this year Reid is, if what I’ve read is correct.
Right now imo, Bieniemy is reaping the rewards of being at the right place at the right time with a Coach like Reid and a massive stable of playmakers.

The play calling thing is a good point. And he's only been in the OC position for this season.

But aside from that, I don't know what you're expecting to see. What specifically are we seeing in other coordinators, or past ones like Nagy and Pederson, that Bieniemy isn't showing. That seems too vague to be a substantive criticism.

I like him because he's been very successful with his position group, he's worked under a fantastic offensive mind who produces a lot of great head coaches, and he's been involved in the offense taking a huge leap in his first year as OC.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play calling thing is a good point. And he's only been in the OC position for this season.

But aside from that, I don't know what you're expecting to see. What specifically are we seeing in other coordinators, or past ones like Nagy and Pederson, that Bieniemy isn't showing. That seems too vague to be a substantive criticism.

I like him because he's been very successful with his position group, he's worked under a fantastic offensive mind who produces a lot of great head coaches, and he's been involved in the offense taking a huge leap in his first year as OC.

Really imo just being an nfl OC for a single season and not even calling plays. To me that doesn’t qualify him if it were me seeking a hc.

It’s not like he was an OC for more than a season at the nfl level, or even was a QB coach who likely work more at the level of a QB and the gamplan from that POV. Or a college coach who has had continued years of success as hc at a big program or redefined an entire offensive system..He’s basically done running backs his whole career.

Right now we don’t even know if he can call a play, and we don’t know much about how he can lead a football team, but I suppose that’s Gute and Murphy’s job to fish out of an interview of him and his colleagues. It just feels like the media is doing the whole “Chiefs offense is outstanding, give their OC a HC gig” thing.

He shouldn’t be a serious contender for the position. Just my opinion and I’m not even close to pretending to be an expert and probably not even as knowledgeable on coaches around the league and in college as you are.

He just doesn’t stack up to some of the other candidates I hearing about is all. I’m sure he does a good job in his current position for the chiefs.

charlottecheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really interested in Bieniemy. Like they say all the time, the NFL is a copycat league, and it sounds unfair to the rest of the league for the Chiefs' playbook to be unleashed with Aaron Rodgers under center. I wouldn't put him in the same situation as others in the Andy Reid coaching tree like Pederson and Nagy since I'm definitely a little concerned about the whole "not the playcaller" thing and his lack of experience even as OC. But I can't help but be tempted by the prospect of a Kansas City-like attack. Plus, as long as Bieniemy and Rodgers mesh well, I think it could be a bonus that EB is so experienced both as a player and a coach at the running back position...hopefully he could take Aaron Jones to the next level, because 33 has so much potential.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Yeah as really need to find someone that can really handle Rodgers as really it is about not just getting along with the QB. But also in the letting that person coach the team. And really need to find a coach that is a players' coach. And in the play calling on what to do with the team. And coming down clutch.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Really imo just being an nfl OC for a single season and not even calling plays. To me that doesn’t qualify him if it were me seeking a hc.

It’s not like he was an OC for more than a season at the nfl level, or even was a QB coach who likely work more at the level of a QB and the gamplan from that POV. Or a college coach who has had continued years of success as hc at a big program or redefined an entire offensive system..He’s basically done running backs his whole career.

Right now we don’t even know if he can call a play, and we don’t know much about how he can lead a football team, but I suppose that’s Gute and Murphy’s job to fish out of an interview of him and his colleagues. It just feels like the media is doing the whole “Chiefs offense is outstanding, give their OC a HC gig” thing.

He shouldn’t be a serious contender for the position. Just my opinion and I’m not even close to pretending to be an expert and probably not even as knowledgeable on coaches around the league and in college as you are.

He just doesn’t stack up to some of the other candidates I hearing about is all. I’m sure he does a good job in his current position for the chiefs.

That makes sense to me. I just still think there could be something there for reasons already stated.

Frankly, I'm not blown away by the coaching candidates this coming offseason. Arians is my top choice. I think he and Rodgers could have a nice 3-5 year stretch here to end their respective careers and then the Packers could try again.

John Defilippo is a solid candidate. I wouldn't turn my nose up at him. But I expected a little more than just the status quo from that offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still think the search needs to be 2 guys, not just an offensive minded guy for HC. Rather a solid HC and an innovative OC that everyone feels can work well with #12. With the kind of money the Packers spend on players and seem to be stocking away in their war chest, what is the limit that they will spend on 2 solid guys?

Hopefully, in 2-3 years the Packers will actually be a team that other teams are trying to poach their coaches away from, I didn't see much of that during the MM reign.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I still think the search needs to be 2 guys, not just an offensive minded guy for HC. Rather a solid HC and an innovative OC that everyone feels can work well with #12. With the kind of money the Packers spend on players and seem to be stocking away in their war chest, what is the limit that they will spend on 2 solid guys?

Hopefully, in 2-3 years the Packers will actually be a team that other teams are trying to poach their coaches away from, I didn't see much of that during the MM reign.

Bruce Arians and Freddie Kitchens.

Or how about Dave Toub as HC and Eric Bieniemy as OC? Maybe Bieniemy would take the lateral move to get out from under Reid's shadow and prove his worth as the main offensive coach.

If John Defilippo was to be the guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought over Press Taylor to be his OC from the Eagles. Taylor was his assistant QB coach in 2016-17. Press' brother, Zac, is the QB coach of the Rams who is getting a lot of love. Maybe they could pull him in as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bruce Arians and Freddie Kitchens.

Or how about Dave Toub as HC and Eric Bieniemy as OC? Maybe Bieniemy would take the lateral move to get out from under Reid's shadow and prove his worth as the main offensive coach.

If John Defilippo was to be the guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought over Press Taylor to be his OC from the Eagles. Taylor was his assistant QB coach in 2016-17. Press' brother, Zac, is the QB coach of the Rams who is getting a lot of love. Maybe they could pull him in as well.

Some good names and combinations of. As much as Gute, Murphy and Rodgers himself want to deny there was any kind of issue with AR and MM, I just think the safe bet is really looking hard for an OC that is going to run the offense and do it in a way that #12 and his teammates respond positively to. I've heard some talking heads say that the Packers need a new HC that can reign in Rodgers, maybe that would work if Aaron was 25, but he is 35, a smart guy and possibly a bit too set in his ways and success to operate well under those conditions. The new HC should be coaching the entire team, not just Aaron Rodgers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d have taken Bruce over these other guys being mentioned. But I don’t want to convince someone that doesn’t want to be here to come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online