Post MM firing -- coaching search: who we want -- ALL threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
I just listened to Mark Murphy’s interview on WTMJ about the Firing and their current coaching search. Something that stood out to me that I think will disappoint many in here is when he said “they won’t be looking for someone with a huge ego” They will be looking for someone that will be putting the team ahead of themselves. I think that will eliminate several of the big names I’ve seen thrown around in here. I also think it is the right direction to go.

they're thinking one huge ego in the building is enough. it'll be someone down to earth, unassuming, like mccarthy.

Yeah, great. I've been waiting all these years to get back to the good old days of Phil Bengston, Bart Starr and Lindy Infante. You know, when a coach knew how to be polite and not upset anyone. Just be boring and remember that Murphy and Rodgers are more important than you are, if you can do that you're hired.

If Murphy is serious about that being an issue, he's going to ruin this team. Seems like he's trying to hire an elementary school teacher when he should be beating the bushes trying to find the one person that can bring home a Lombardi Trophy.

Anyway, sounds like Murphy is saying he would NEVER hire Lombardi, Bill Belechick, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Holmgren, Bill Parcells, etc. And some of you are happy about it. Great.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hey, let's read into some comments Murphy made in an interview, draw broad brush conclusions, and then get mad at each other about it.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Current state of Packerforum.com

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, it's been a long week. The media has been giving Rodgers and the Packers a beating this week. All this no one will want to work with Rodgers stuff, his game is off, he's declining, he won't listen to anyone, he's a bad leader, he's unpleasant to be around, etc., etc. From last year so many people calling him the GOAT to this. And also people saying no one will want to coach the Packers because they have no cap space, Rodgers will be too stuck in his ways, etc. The Jets and the Browns have young QBs that a head coach can mold, instead of being "stuck" with Rodgers. Not a pleasant week to be a Packer fan.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Man, it's been a long week. The media has been giving Rodgers and the Packers a beating this week. All this no one will want to work with Rodgers stuff, his game is off, he's declining, he won't listen to anyone, he's a bad leader, he's unpleasant to be around, etc., etc. From last year so many people calling him the GOAT to this. And also people saying no one will want to coach the Packers because they have no cap space, Rodgers will be too stuck in his ways, etc. The Jets and the Browns have young QBs that a head coach can mold, instead of being "stuck" with Rodgers. Not a pleasant week to be a Packer fan.

That's weird, because the Packers are going to be right around average in cap space this off-season without cutting anyone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The talking heads are going to talk because that's what they do. Facts be damned. I'm sure Rodgers has his quirks that make him difficult at times, but that can be said for every single player that has ever stepped foot on a football field, especially at a prime position like QB. our struggles have not been ALL the coaches problem, all the QB's problem, ALL the offensive line's problems, All the young receivers problems, etc. They've all played a role, and they all added up to a big one. We have a decent amount of cap space to work with. We do need a couple more impact players, we do have a number of really good established and young players to build around. We have a GM who seems like he is more apt to work WITH the team and staff rather than just hand them a pile of players and say make it work. We have a city, state and fans around the nation that are some of the most loyal in the league. Great facilities and great history. There are a lot of reasons this job will be attractive to a lot of potential coaches.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's weird, because the Packers are going to be right around average in cap space this off-season without cutting anyone.
Some have said Rodgers salary drags the team down, some have flat out said "They have no cap space". They could just be getting their facts wrong (and Cobb and/or Matthews may not be back). But they've been comparing us to the Jets and the Browns as teams looking for a new coach. Maybe they meant our cap space is tight compared to theirs?

But really, I just think it was Beat Up on the Packers week.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Edgar Bennett
Bill Cower
Barry Alvarez

Bennett ...no thanks. Wasn't impressed with what he did as a Packers "OC" from 2015-17.

Cowher has stated that he has little or not interest in coaching again. “Highly unlikely" were the words he used when asked.

Alvarez, at 71 and a very successful AD at UW....he has everything to lose and nothing to gain. Maybe 20 years ago.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. And I think they pick up cap space by releasing unproductive, expensive players like CMIII, Cobb, and Perry. Gluten should have plenty of cap ammo in FA.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some have said Rodgers salary drags the team down, some have flat out said "They have no cap space". They could just be getting their facts wrong (and Cobb and/or Matthews may not be back). But they've been comparing us to the Jets and the Browns as teams looking for a new coach. Maybe they meant our cap space is tight compared to theirs?

But really, I just think it was Beat Up on the Packers week.
Sounds about right. The Pack will have enough cap space, especially if they release CMIII, Cobb and Perry - three guys who are not producing anyway.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sounds about right. The Pack will have enough cap space, especially if they release CMIII, Cobb and Perry - three guys who are not producing anyway.

Matthews and Cobb are free agents already, so they can't be cut to save more cap space. Perry can be cut, but he's so early in his extension that cutting him will carry a lot of dead money.

Packerpug

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it McDaniel is the smartest choice. Maybe Mike Leach and his "Air Raid" offense who would showcase Rodgers who is our best player. I think my sentimental choice would be John Kuhn. Yes John Kuhn. I know he has no experience but he trusts Rodgers and is one of my favorite Packers.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of people want McDaniels but I have a feeling hes been promised Belichick's position.

D

Deleted member 6794

Alot of people want McDaniels but I have a feeling hes been promised Belichick's position.

After what McDaniels pulled on the Colts last offseason the Packers shouldn't be interested in him.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After what McDaniels pulled on the Colts last offseason the Packers shouldn't be interested in him.

I like the idea of the Rams QB coach - would have an inside scoop on how their offense rolls. I think McDaniels has burnt a lot of bridges and I'd be a bit hesitant there.

NCPackerBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Harbaugh has stated rather emphatically that he's staying at Michigan. Coach's lie a lot, but again, for what it's worth.

People change (McDaniels.) The whole story with the Colts didn't come out. Rather have him than a lot of the names being thrown out here.

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Harbaugh

Jesus God please no! John Harbaugh I can support, his idiot brother no way. Always with the mouth wide open hissy fits on the sidelines. Let's the college ranks keep him. He did great with thr 49ers and the fluky Kaepernick years until the nfl learned how to stop him. The defense he built was amazing, I just dont think can do it twice, and I'd hate to see him in green bay.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
While I think many Packer fans feel they want one person or another to coach, I have a feeling the new coach will be someone no one is expecting.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely not a quick situation in GB. But adding thru free agency would be a help for speeding up the recovery process

If last year was any indication, Brian Gutekunst is likely to be active in free agency.

That doesn't necessarily guarantee success, however. Gutekunst's biggest free agent splashes were Jimmy Graham and Muhammed Wilkerson. Graham has been so-so at best and Wilkerson departed early with season-ending injury - Not a lot of bang for the buck.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dave Toub, Eric Bieniemy, Freddy Kitchens. Probably throw McDaniels in.

If John Harbaugh is fired, he's my #1.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Ravens would be stupid to Fire Harbaugh, but if they did, call him up.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the Ravens would be stupid to Fire Harbaugh, but if they did, call him up.
Many "outsiders" thought it was crazy for the Packers to fire MM, so this might be a similar situation. Harbaugh has kind of hit the wall in Baltimore and may need a change of scenery? I don't think he or MM are "bad" coaches and if both continue to coach, I see them being successful in the right organization and situation.

I just hope if John Harbaugh is the next HC, he leaves OC Marty Mornhinweg behind and finds a young up and comer for that role.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts