Post-game Notes

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Fox broadcasting crew, as always, was terrible.
They had a sideline reporting girl for this game, and where was she? Worthless. She didn't report this:

-Brandon Chillar injured himself early in the game on our kickoff following the Crosby FG. He met the return guy head on, and imagine that: our guy was hurt. He came away holding his arm, hand..... I told my mom at the time: Watch, that will turn out to be serious.
Sure enough, I noticed him in street clothes late in the game when they showed Sam Shields going to the sideline following the bullschit penalty they called on him for the stiffarm to the face. We see stiffarms to the face ALL THE TIME, and they never call it on the ball carrier. NEVER. But they chose to there.

Anyway, Chillar is finesse... he gets hurt all the time. He doesn't cover well. He's not a thumper. He needs to be replaced, although our special teams may have suffered after that with him out.

-Desmond Bishop was 100% to blame on the wide open Tony Gonzalez TD. It was his little window to cover, but Bishop inexplicably chose to run to his right 3 steps to follow the FB, even though we already had a DB over there. He vacated his window and it was the easiest TD throw Matt Ryan will ever have down there.

-The White Wall (our offensive line) is softer than a gay poodle's ****** in a puppy brothel.
How many times do these guys fail on 3rd & 1 to blow their guy off the line of scrimmage? So many times. So many that we usually have to pass in those situations, which is pathetic, or we run QB sneaks or draws. That's unacceptable.

Early in the game, Dimitri Nance blew his chance. The blocking wasn't good, but he should have scored on that 3rd & 1 down there, and he found the meat of the tackler. Then we chose to kick the FG.

So did Rodgers on his first QB sneak the following drive.... before the one that he fumbled. He went quick, tried to trick the defense. But LG Daryn Colledge didn't execute his block strong enough, and Rodgers went to the wrong crease. That should have scored on that play, and it wouldn't have gotten to the next play that he fumbled.

Our tackling was soft..... on 3rd & about 15 in the 2nd half, they dumped it off to the FB Snelling. Woodson had him wide open for about a 4 yard game, but he chose to girl-up instead of man-up, diving low at his ankles. He missed. Then Peprah game in and did the same thing... had he tackled him there, it would have been a punt at about 4th & 9. Instead, he got it close enough to let Atlanta go for it at 4th & 2. And they got it. And they eventually scored the big touchdown.

Those were flatout missed tackles on a slow Snelling, because our guys were scared and whimpy. Zombo did it too later on on Snelling on another 3rd & long. It was soft, wimpy tackling. Zombo's a big guy, there's no excuse for that. Peprah, I thought, was a strong guy, good tackler.

In games like this, all those little plays usually prove big in the end. There's not much that separates good teams like that.

Inches.... mental toughness, missed tackles. Fumbles early in the game.

I was very proud of how clutch Rodgers was on the final drive. Even though we lost, he proved clutch there. That's big.

However, his early fumble proved enough to kill us. Just like his early Int last playoff game at Arizona. He can't give the ball away like that, give points away.

We had TWO 11-play/80+ yard drives in that first half, and came away with 3 & 0 points. You can't do that. You need touchdowns.

We're good. As good as any team in the NFL in my opinion. But we're soft.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want the media and the fans to question a few things tonight and all week:

-Toughness of the offensive line (physically & mentally). We all know by now we pretty much expect we can't get the ONE yard on 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1 if we run it.

-Special Teams coach Slocum.
Last year was his first year, but he learned under **** Stock, who was terrible enough that he was fired. Our special teams coverage units are so bad, we expect a KR or PR for a TD against us.... we hold our breath every time.

Here's a point that illustrates that:
Sam Shields fields their kick 4 or 5 yards in the end zone, and takes it out. We yell "NO, stay in there!"... he comes out, and gets killed at the 10 or 15 yard line by 5 guys in free that far.

Our guy Crosby, he kicks that last kickoff about 4 yards deep into the end zone, and with good hang time.
We still yell "stay in there, take the touchback!".
But no, he knows better, even though he's not Devin Hester, or Percy Harvin. What happens? He almost scored, he easily makes it out to almost the 40 yard line, and he draws a facemask for 15 more yards and they're already almost in FG range.
And we're not surprised at all.

That's unacceptable. Either the personnel is bad over and over. Or the same system that Stock coached, that Slocum learned from him, is crap. It's too often and too consistent to be coincidences.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, the Giants would beat us out for the wildcard spot, so the 2 wildcard spots would go to New Orleans and the Giants.

Us and 7-4 Tampa Bay would be out, even though tied with the Giants.
I think Tampa Bay is ahead of us too, because this loss for us was an NFC loss, which is doubly-ouch.
The loss to the bad Redskins continues to haunt us.

We need to win all our NFC games coming in:
-49ers
-@ Detroit
-Giants
-Bears

We can win those 4 games, and lose at AFC New England, and we will be in great shape, probably the #2 seed, which is perfect because someone will beat Atlanta in the playoffs and then we'll host them in the NFCCG.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
so when the team faces a VERY VERY good run D at their place our line is soft?

I feel this was more of a bump in the road..It is proven that they can correct mistakes so I believe they will fix what they screwed up on this week

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score

I feel this was more of a bump in the road..It is proven that they can correct mistakes so I believe they will fix what they screwed up on this week
I don't think there's any way to correct our RB's. They're just not that good plain and simple. We need to find ways to distract defenses with screens and short passes so that we can get the ground game going.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Chill out guys. We watched two really good teams out there today - maybe the two best in the NFC. One of the teams had to lose and unfortunately it was us today. We went into Atlanta where they have barely lost in the last two years and it took a last second FG for Atlanta to win. We got NO breaks.

Next time it may be different.

Our goal needs to be to make the playoffs and if we take care of business we will make it. Then maybe the breaks even out and we win some of these tight games

Totally fricking agreed. Hey, I am pissed we lost the game just like everybody, but not all is lost with this game:

Rodgers was a ********** star out there. He put the team on his back and HE DELIVERED. Ok, he fumbled, too. Damn.

The Packers (and the Falcons) KNOW they can play with this team, who are the best in the conference. Another game, another outcome maybe. I guarantee you that Atlanta is counting their lucky stars and hoping not to meet GB again this year. Don't get me wrong-- ATL played great and deserve this win. But, it was far from easy.

The Pack may not reach the playoffs this year. But, considering their problems with injuries, knocking on the door at this level has me quite impressed.

I also liked that this team never quits. Can't say that about many other teams...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think that's what he said LT.

Struggling to run against the 4th ranked team = not being soft.

Not being able to gain 1 yard in different attempts = OL being soft.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, 4th ranked run D at home
So this is the first time you've noticed our offensive line has trouble getting tough short yards?
Have you noticed how often we pass on 3rd & 1?

This isn't news here and all credit doesn't go to Atlanta.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Fox broadcasting crew, as always, was terrible.
They had a sideline reporting girl for this game, and where was she? Worthless. She didn't report this:

-Brandon Chillar injured himself early in the game on our kickoff following the Crosby FG. He met the return guy head on, and imagine that: our guy was hurt. He came away holding his arm, hand..... I told my mom at the time: Watch, that will turn out to be serious.
Sure enough, I noticed him in street clothes late in the game when they showed Sam Shields going to the sideline following the bullschit penalty they called on him for the stiffarm to the face. We see stiffarms to the face ALL THE TIME, and they never call it on the ball carrier. NEVER. But they chose to there.

Anyway, Chillar is finesse... he gets hurt all the time. He doesn't cover well. He's not a thumper. He needs to be replaced, although our special teams may have suffered after that with him out.

-Desmond Bishop was 100% to blame on the wide open Tony Gonzalez TD. It was his little window to cover, but Bishop inexplicably chose to run to his right 3 steps to follow the FB, even though we already had a DB over there. He vacated his window and it was the easiest TD throw Matt Ryan will ever have down there.

-The White Wall (our offensive line) is softer than a gay poodle's ****** in a puppy brothel.
How many times do these guys fail on 3rd & 1 to blow their guy off the line of scrimmage? So many times. So many that we usually have to pass in those situations, which is pathetic, or we run QB sneaks or draws. That's unacceptable.

Early in the game, Dimitri Nance blew his chance. The blocking wasn't good, but he should have scored on that 3rd & 1 down there, and he found the meat of the tackler. Then we chose to kick the FG.

So did Rodgers on his first QB sneak the following drive.... before the one that he fumbled. He went quick, tried to trick the defense. But LG Daryn Colledge didn't execute his block strong enough, and Rodgers went to the wrong crease. That should have scored on that play, and it wouldn't have gotten to the next play that he fumbled.

Our tackling was soft..... on 3rd & about 15 in the 2nd half, they dumped it off to the FB Snelling. Woodson had him wide open for about a 4 yard game, but he chose to girl-up instead of man-up, diving low at his ankles. He missed. Then Peprah game in and did the same thing... had he tackled him there, it would have been a punt at about 4th & 9. Instead, he got it close enough to let Atlanta go for it at 4th & 2. And they got it. And they eventually scored the big touchdown.

Those were flatout missed tackles on a slow Snelling, because our guys were scared and whimpy. Zombo did it too later on on Snelling on another 3rd & long. It was soft, wimpy tackling. Zombo's a big guy, there's no excuse for that. Peprah, I thought, was a strong guy, good tackler.

In games like this, all those little plays usually prove big in the end. There's not much that separates good teams like that.

Inches.... mental toughness, missed tackles. Fumbles early in the game.

I was very proud of how clutch Rodgers was on the final drive. Even though we lost, he proved clutch there. That's big.

However, his early fumble proved enough to kill us. Just like his early Int last playoff game at Arizona. He can't give the ball away like that, give points away.

We had TWO 11-play/80+ yard drives in that first half, and came away with 3 & 0 points. You can't do that. You need touchdowns.

We're good. As good as any team in the NFL in my opinion. But we're soft.

Very nice post. But I have a question. If your QB Rodgers' right arm is sore from from a stinger (which ESPN reported today), why doesn't he tell the coaches? He ended up doing that QB sneak holding the ball in his left hand. And isn't a QB sneak supposed to be made through a crease made by the lineman, not a leap with the ball exposed in his weaker hand?

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very nice post. But I have a question. If your QB Rodgers' right arm is sore from from a stinger (which ESPN reported today), why doesn't he tell the coaches? He ended up doing that QB sneak holding the ball in his left hand. And isn't a QB sneak supposed to be made through a crease made by the lineman, not a leap with the ball exposed in his weaker hand?
Good question. Here's my question on the sneaks:
Your left guard is Daryn Colledge.
Your right guard is Josh Sitton.

Which side should you sneak on usually?
Why does he always go to Colledge's side?