Post draft conference call: Gutekunst emphasizes confidence in current WR group

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just cos we could all use a laugh :)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
That’s hilarious
Pan to AR in his boxer shorts, Danica on the deck in Malibu in a bikini, tens of millions of dollars stacked up on a shelf beside a SB trophy and MVP awards and see him smiling and winking!!!!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought I'd use this thread to talk about our WR's.

We all know what we have in Davante Adams. He's elite. So who else is there?

Allen Lazard - Decent speed, he's a big WR that plays like a big WR. He's 6'5 with a 38" vertical and he plays like it. Great hands. He's not a separation guy, but he can win contested catches. Good ST's player, good run blocker. Physical. If you take his stats from when he started to play, and extrapolate that across the whole season, he's putting up 50/700/4, which are really good numbers for a 2nd year player. Problem is that he and Funchess are pretty similar.

EQSB - I'm legitimately excited to watch him play. I think he's really good. He's big, but he moves like he's 5" shorter. Really fluid. Good speed. Good hands. Has some separation ability. Think he could play slot a decent amount. Outside of Adams, the most talented WR on the roster. Rodgers liked him and EQSB a fair amount.

MVS - Can he do anything other than run a 9? He's got real speed, but nothing else.

Funchess - A big, strong WR. Creates separation with his body. Actually pretty good at it. Better route runner than Lazard. Spotty hands. The battle between him and Lazard will be really interesting. If Funchess is healthy, I think he takes it.

Kumerow - Can we please be done with him? He's not good.

Steward - UDFA, with poor hands. Might make the roster because he's a slot and we don't have any true ones.

Bobby D

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old Teddy’s favorite response after being asleep at the wheel forever
“I really like our fellas”
We’re doomed!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought I'd use this thread to talk about our WR's.

We all know what we have in Davante Adams. He's elite. So who else is there?

Allen Lazard - Decent speed, he's a big WR that plays like a big WR. He's 6'5 with a 38" vertical and he plays like it. Great hands. He's not a separation guy, but he can win contested catches. Good ST's player, good run blocker. Physical. If you take his stats from when he started to play, and extrapolate that across the whole season, he's putting up 50/700/4, which are really good numbers for a 2nd year player. Problem is that he and Funchess are pretty similar.

EQSB - I'm legitimately excited to watch him play. I think he's really good. He's big, but he moves like he's 5" shorter. Really fluid. Good speed. Good hands. Has some separation ability. Think he could play slot a decent amount. Outside of Adams, the most talented WR on the roster. Rodgers liked him and EQSB a fair amount.

MVS - Can he do anything other than run a 9? He's got real speed, but nothing else.

Funchess - A big, strong WR. Creates separation with his body. Actually pretty good at it. Better route runner than Lazard. Spotty hands. The battle between him and Lazard will be really interesting. If Funchess is healthy, I think he takes it.

Kumerow - Can we please be done with him? He's not good.

Steward - UDFA, with poor hands. Might make the roster because he's a slot and we don't have any true ones.

Begelton. The CFL YAC monster.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which to be fair only 2 guys from last year from week 1 still here.
They are putting too much faith into that group. Funchess is intriguing but just missed an entire season. The rest are nothing other than projections. There should be more legitimate competition, outside of Adams obviously.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are putting too much faith into that group. Funchess is intriguing but just missed an entire season. The rest are nothing other than projections. There should be more legitimate competition, outside of Adams obviously.

To be fair I'd say there is a ton of competition with basically everyone vying for #2 snap count behind Adams.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've seen worse groups.

Reaction score
I've said it before one could argue we have added more to WR room than any other heading into 2020...

Funchess - arguably a Day 2 type pick
Begelton and healthy ESB - Day 3 type picks
UDFA or more FA signings possible.
We also have the benefit of seeing on-field production from those Day 3 types. I feel like EQ plays more like a 4th rounder and Begelton would easily be picked in that late day 3 area in hindsight.

You could argue that its almost like we never lost J’mon Moore (EQ took his spot and Begelton took EQ’s spot) and now we’ve added Funchess. Lazard was also a nice surprise and he’s already playing like you’d expect from a mid-round selection.

That doesn’t take into account that we’re not dealing with Rookies anymore. Everyone of these guys (Davante and Funchess are already there) has gained valuable experience and are entering into time when you would normally see a production jump year 2-3. MVS, who we all thought was a front runner to move up the pecking order last season, may very well be in the outside looking to get back in.
While we all wanted to see a dominant WR group with another draft addition, by no means are we in worse shape than last season at WR either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Adams
Funchess
Lazard
MVS
EQSB
Begelton

That's your WR room.

The depth chart at wide receiver doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, especially considering the team lacks proven talent at tight end as well.

To be fair I'd say there is a ton of competition with basically everyone vying for #2 snap count behind Adams.

Well, unfortunately a lack of talent is the main reason the competition for the #2 spot on the depth chart is wide open entering the season.

I've seen worse groups.

Aside of last season, when was the last time the Packers entered a season with less talent at wide receiver???

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of last season, when was the last time the Packers entered a season with less talent at wide receiver???

Offhand I cannot remember one in the last 20-30 years. I'm sure we've had worse from a production stance maybe...but last year was worst in my recent memory for sure.

JohnnyBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2005 season was pretty brutal from a production standpoint. I know a lot of that was the injury to Javon Walker who had a breakout year in 2004.

Donald Driver - 86/1221/5
Antonio Chatman - 49/549/4
Robert Ferguson - 27/366/3
Andrae Thurman - 7/92/0
Terrence Murphy - 5/36/0
Rod Gardner - 4/67/0
Javon Walker - 4/27/0
Walter Williams - 1/19/0

2005 Totals: 183/2,377/12

2019 Total: 192/2,461/13

After 2005, the Packers added Jennings and Ruvell Martin and hoped for a healthy Javon Walker.
After 2019, the Packers added Funchess and Begelton and hoped for a healthy EQ St. Brown.

I'm not sure that enough has been done in the WR space, but I do think that Lazard, MVS, and EQ St. Brown have a higher upside than Chatman, Ferguson, andThurmon. Funchess is better than Gardner as well IMO.

We will have to see who steps up and who doesn't. If no one does, it will be a miscalculation by the leadership team. If Lazard and either MVS or EQ do, we should be OK with the additional emphasis on running the ball.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Terrence Murphy would have been Greg Jennings, before Greg Jennings. Shame to see a kid robbed of a career because of injury so early.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2005 season was pretty brutal from a production standpoint. I know a lot of that was the injury to Javon Walker who had a breakout year in 2004.

Donald Driver - 86/1221/5
Antonio Chatman - 49/549/4
Robert Ferguson - 27/366/3
Andrae Thurman - 7/92/0
Terrence Murphy - 5/36/0
Rod Gardner - 4/67/0
Javon Walker - 4/27/0
Walter Williams - 1/19/0

2005 Totals: 183/2,377/12

2019 Total: 192/2,461/13

After 2005, the Packers added Jennings and Ruvell Martin and hoped for a healthy Javon Walker.
After 2019, the Packers added Funchess and Begelton and hoped for a healthy EQ St. Brown.

I'm not sure that enough has been done in the WR space, but I do think that Lazard, MVS, and EQ St. Brown have a higher upside than Chatman, Ferguson, andThurmon. Funchess is better than Gardner as well IMO.

We will have to see who steps up and who doesn't. If no one does, it will be a miscalculation by the leadership team. If Lazard and either MVS or EQ do, we should be OK with the additional emphasis on running the ball.

This is an excellent comparison...albeit EQ is not Javon but still excellent job.

D

Deleted member 6794

Offhand I cannot remember one in the last 20-30 years. I'm sure we've had worse from a production stance maybe...but last year was worst in my recent memory for sure.

For the record, last season was the first time since 1978 when the NFL increased the regular season to 16 games that the Packers didn't feature at least two players with a minimum of 500 receiving yards (the 1982 strike shortened season excluded).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder for a moment if the Draft played out that say we drafted in the Second Round a WR...and then change one of our 7ths or a 6th to WR....does everyone's tune change?

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder for a moment if the Draft played out that say we drafted in the Second Round a WR...and then change one of our 7ths or a 6th to WR....does everyone's tune change?

If the Packers drafted a wide receiver in the second round instead of Dillon it would make me feel more comfortable about the receiving corps entering the season.

I still wouldn't like trading up for Love and selecting Deguara in the third round though.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts?

He's an idiot. And a liar.

Well at least number one I'd agree with.

I would say ... well Funchess was a huge gamble. If healthy, I'd take him over GMo and probably Kumerow. But I think Lazard would beat him out for WR2 spot.

I saw a bit of Baggleton in the CFL and he looked pretty good there. But this is a way different league and I haven't heard of too many players coming out of there and turning into stars. Still, I am curious to see how he does.

ESB you would assume would have a bounce back year, but between him, MVS and the new guys we just brought in, nothing seems certain.

I'll give Gute kudos on the OL. We definitely needed that new RT, and I think our late round pick may fill it.

What I'm not sure about is whether our ILB spot has been taken care of. Blake is gone now, and I feel like we should have used our 1st round pick on there as Kamal Martin clearly wasn't getting looked at by others.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give Gute kudos on the OL. We definitely needed that new RT...

What I'm not sure about is whether our ILB spot has been taken care of. Blake is gone now, and I feel like we should have used our 1st round pick on there as Kamal Martin clearly wasn't getting looked at by others.

Loved Day 3 along the OL as well but none out of Stepniak, Runyan or Hanson were drafted to play RT this season.

Nor Kamal start at ILB. I do think Kamal will pair nicely with Kirksey

Last edited: