Post draft conference call: Gutekunst emphasizes confidence in current WR group

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
19 TD Aaron Jones and Allen Lazard come to mind immediately as qualifiers. So I have more than that before I even look further.
It just occurred to me! No wonder why you are so pessimistic this season!! :laugh:

Well I agree optimism is good, but so is evaluating off-seasons objectively and adjusting expectations accordingly.

Now I'll admit I did not like the draft last year and things turned out quite well in the end. But in this league today there are quite a few windfalls that can take a team from playoff or Superbowl contender one year to sub 500 the next. Most teams that mitigate those windfalls do so by making changes where they really need them and not just maintaining the status quo, the move it appears we've mostly taken.

Reaction score
Well I agree optimism is good, but so is evaluating off-seasons objectively and adjusting expectations accordingly.

Now I'll admit I did not like the draft last year and things turned out quite well in the end. But in this league today there are quite a few windfalls that can take a team from playoff or Superbowl contender one year to sub 500 the next. Most teams that mitigate those windfalls do so by making changes where they really need them and not just maintaining the status quo, the move it appears we've mostly taken.
Pre-draft, I actually wanted GB to trade out of round 1 IF an ideal player wasn’t there. The only player that I would’ve been happy at was Queen but not enough to trade up (unless it was a 6th or 7th rounder maybe) and we now know he was gone.

I liked Higgins, Blacklock then Shenault but not at #30. I would've traded back enough to add an early 4th rounder and #33 Cincinnati was ideal. We would’ve had Tee Higgins.
Then my plan was to trade up using #62 and #94 for Blacklock if he slid to #50 range. We would’ve essentially had a #107 4th rounder to replace using #94 in a trade up. But all for naught, Blacklock was gone so I’m ok with that Dillon pick because no one else really excited me and I had my WR. Plus I’m trying to be realistic by not changing everything in this draft drastically. I would’ve been happy modifying slightly.

My start would’ve been
Tee Higgins (this was our ideal chance at WR)
AJ Dillon (I’m ok here)
Josiah Deguara (I’m ok here)
Akeem Davis-Gaither (to help our D) pick #107
Tyler Biadasz or Josiah Scott could’ve been had next and so on..
+ + + etc..

So this was not MY ideal draft. But I know that nearly everyone including myself has limited knowledge compared to the staff at GB. So I don’t pretend to know better then them. If they thought Love was #20 on their board and he was sliding? Well #26 was enough to override my “position” desires. Reading more into Love’s history and such.. I actually believe God made that happen... he looks out for widows and orphans in particular and his family qualifies. That’s far and away more important to me than my will and I’m rooting for Love to succeed and I’m convinced his late Father and my Father in heaven agree with me. I stand down

So I have my “wish list” like everyone else but it doesn’t trump my heavenly daddies list. He’s taken care of me nicely.. this stuff is peanuts compared to my blessings and I see a lot of selfish people these days. I feel sorry for them actually.. they miss out on a great deal of peace and replace it with worry and such. I love football but I don’t worship it.. I did that for many years but the Lord straightened me out. I’m much more at peace now. I broke a remote Once over losing a football game! That’s pretty pathetic.
I like to Win as much as the next guy.. but I’m not putting Winning a football game (My interests) ahead of people who deserve a chance at greatness (Jordan Love etc..). I’m going to support our team regardless of my petty “wish list”.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts