Post draft conference call: Gutekunst emphasizes confidence in current WR group

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
So were you trying to get a receiver or weren’t you? Are you trying to lean more run heavy, or aren’t you? Gute talking out of both sides on this.

Thoughts?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Zach Kruse
@zachkruse2

Brian Gutekunst said he thought the WR class was strong at the top and not so strong in the middle to late rounds, explaining why he didn't take one Said again: "We really really like the group we have coming back."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before one could argue we have added more to WR room than any other heading into 2020...

Funchess - arguably a Day 2 type pick
Begelton and healthy ESB - Day 3 type picks
UDFA or more FA signings possible.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
His remarks on last night’s conference call, and the night before, are contradictory. Not one tweet vs the other.

Zach Kruse
@zachkruse2

Brian Gutekunst said he thought the WR class was strong at the top and not so strong in the middle to late rounds, explaining why he didn't take one Said again: "We really really like the group we have coming back."
Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

Brian Gutekunst says they had some WRs they liked early but didn’t see the value in the middle or later rounds because those guys wouldn’t likely help early anyway. Would rather roll with developing young guys they have than starting over with developmental guys.
6:04 PM · Apr 25, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

This would seem to resolve it.

His story is that he wanted a WR, but only one who would help right away. He wasn't interested in more projects. So when he missed out early, he decided to go another direction.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

His story is that he wanted a WR, but only one who would help right away. He wasn't interested in more projects. So when he missed out early, he decided to go another direction.
Said last night though that he would explore WR today with one or more picks. If I’m recalling the remark correctly.

Just seems like a lot of double talking going on. If you didn’t like them in later rounds, why even say you would explore it?

He’s betting pretty highly on internal improvement. Just as he did last offseason. I like Gute a lot, but his judgment on wide receivers leaves a little to be desired with me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a sneaking sense we are signing another veteran. Call me crazy but I sense it will be a guy like Gordon or Brown that are skilled but headaches. In a moment of odd times and head scratching moves I say we just keep it going. Cut Linsley, add Antonio Brown on a laced performance related contract and go... I'm only half joking and other half drunk...

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Higgins, Mims, Shenault.....case closed
Queen ....LB

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a sneaking sense we are signing another veteran. Call me crazy but I sense it will be a guy like Gordon or Brown that are skilled but headaches. In a moment of odd times and head scratching moves I say we just keep it going. Cut Linsley, add Antonio Brown on a laced performance related contract and go... I'm only half joking and other half drunk...
Is Jordy still serviceable?

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Dez???

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Higgins, Mims, Shenault.....case closed
Queen ....LB

Maybe his connection to NFL.com's prospect rankings timed out?

You can't expect everyone to be able to look these players up so quickly and know exactly who they are as prospects. You clearly have a gift.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You can't expect everyone to be able to look these players up so quickly and know exactly who they are as prospects. You clearly have a gift.
Being so smart and knowledgeable sometimes is a curse but I know I’m a draft god!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Said last night though that he would explore WR today with one or more picks. If I’m recalling the remark correctly.

Just seems like a lot of double talking going on. If you didn’t like them in later rounds, why even say you would explore it?

He’s betting pretty highly on internal improvement. Just as he did last offseason. I like Gute a lot, but his judgment on wide receivers leaves a little to be desired with me.

I don't know?

He explored and didn't like who was there?

He was putting out smoke rather than share his actual plans to the general public?

I have no clue if Gutekunst is good at this. We are a season away from being able to get a good look at his first class.

But I don't expect any NFL GM to be completely forthcoming in public about his intentions.

If I'm just offering my opinion-- I buy the argument that taking developmental guys today wouldn't have changed anything. They have guys like that in house who likely would have remained ahead of any new, incoming projects.

After choosing Love at #26 and not moving up from #62 or #94, I figure the ship sailed on finding rookie help at WR in 2020.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't know?

He explored and didn't like who was there?

He was putting out smoke rather than share his actual plans to the general public?

I have no clue if Gutekunst is good at this. We are a season away from being able to get a good look at his first class.

But I don't expect any NFL GM to be completely forthcoming in public about his intentions.

If I'm just offering my opinion-- I buy the argument that taking developmental guys today wouldn't have changed anything. They have guys like that in house who likely would have remained ahead of any new, incoming projects.

After choosing Love at #26 and not moving up from #62 or #94, I figure the ship sailed on finding rookie help at WR in 2020.
I can understand and give him a pass for not drafting one in the later rounds. I refuse though to give him a pass for the first two days.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He wasn’t watching the draft board at all and based on his comments there preparation was non existent as well. The first round actually fell less rapidly for top rated receivers than expected. Hell even drunk Jerry stumbled onto Cee Dee Lamb at 17
Mims , Higgins , and Shenault were all in the 1A tier predraft mix so his ascertation there wasn’t a good to go WR at 30 is either a lie or incompetence ( or both)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I can understand and give him a pass for not drafting one in the later rounds. I refuse though to give him a pass for the first two days.

By all means, don't.

I was hoping for Mims and later Duvernay. I would have applauded a trade up to secure one or the other when they got close.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He wasn’t watching the draft board at all and based on his comments there preparation was non existent as well. The first round actually fell less rapidly for top rated receivers than expected. Hell even drunk Jerry stumbled onto Cee Dee Lamb at 17
Mims , Higgins , and Shenault were all in the 1A tier predraft mix so his ascertation there wasn’t a good to go WR at 30 is either a lie or incompetence ( or both)

I want you to know that I've been around forums for a while, have thought about this, and feel pretty confident in my conclusion:

You are one of the more ignorant people I've ever encountered on a fan forum. Bravo.

Latest posts