Post draft conference call: Gutekunst emphasizes confidence in current WR group

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want you to know that I've been around forums for a while, have thought about this, and feel pretty confident in my conclusion:

You are one of the more ignorant people I've ever encountered on a fan forum. Bravo.
I’m crushed and am almost at a loss for words.
I guess those who state opinions and points of view that’s differ from yours brands them ignorant.... interesting perspective..... childish and self absorbed but interesting none the less
It would be interesting to find out what you find that what was said could be branded “ignorant”?

Description
Ignorance is a lack of knowledge and information. The word "ignorant" is an adjective that describes a person in the state of being unaware, or even cognitive dissonance and other cognitive relation.

Since a fan forum is a place to voice opnions the above noted description becomes muted since it’s a place of personal beliefs and observations rather than a place of knowledge

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would seem to resolve it.

His story is that he wanted a WR, but only one who would help right away. He wasn't interested in more projects. So when he missed out early, he decided to go another direction.

So he wasn't interested in a project at WR but was more then comfortable drafting projects elsewhere?

That statement doesn't add up

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If over the next two years, we under-perform and don't make the playoffs... The next coach and GM will be appreciative of Gute drafting Love for him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So he wasn't interested in a project at WR but was more then comfortable drafting projects elsewhere?

That statement doesn't add up

I think it does if you consider that they already have a few developmental projects in the pipeline at this particular position.

Again, I think he should have moved up with one pick on day two to secure a WR when Mims and Duvernay got close to their selection.

But once that ship sailed, what exactly would have made the WR room significantly better on day 3?

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A stab at the best spin possible:

The top of the draft and the bottom of the draft match up. A QB and RB for the future and young large people to block for them in the future. I love large people as I believe linemen are to football what pitching is to baseball. It remains to be seen whether the quality of those picks will match the quantity.

As for the WRs, it is possible we are not done yet. A draft loaded with young WRs means there are going to be some veteran WRs out of work. Maybe the "window is open" lobby will be rewarded with a top notch veteran. If the quality of some of those linemen exceed expectations, we could see some serious cap money freed in a hurry.

There is no question. For better or worse, the TT and MM, era is over. This clearly is Matt LaFleur's system and Gute's Free Agency and draft personnel. We will see if the Packers sink, tread water, or swim in 2020 and the rest of the twilight of the Rodgers era. In any case, this is a fresh start.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For what it’s worth:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This makes total sense.

Picking someone on day 3 would not have made a lick of difference for 2020.

I think the criticism here is that he didn't make a move up to get someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. But that ship probably sailed for them when they made the move for Jordan Love.

This whole draft, in the long term, is really going to boil down to him.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think the criticism here is that he didn't make a move up to get someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. But that ship probably sailed for them when they made the move for Jordan Love.
No doubt. He mentioned Friday night that he couldn’t move up without sending future picks which is something he wasn’t comfortable with. And I agree, I wouldn’t have either.

fix8ed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How to destroy a team in 7 rounds ....
With the exception of Davante Adams, this corps of receivers couldn't establish separation if equipped with a nail studded baseball bat. Gutekunst to my mind was not watching the board, as he said. He was watching for the BIg move...the one that would make him a future legend. And apparently he enlisted LaFleur, given the fact that he has (in his words) "not yet connected with Aaron" on the 1st round selection. I believe Rodgers makes them both nervous. And he should now, because in my opinion, he IS Green Bay. Can you imagine? 13 wins last year and our GM decides to enter rebuilding mode for God's sake.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is the rebuilding word again. You do realize that everyone picked in the draft is a rookie?

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My two cents:

Do I think we should have added a receiver or 2? Yes

Did I think we needed a first or second round pick to do so? not necessarily.

we drafted a 240 lb bruiser in the 2nd, an H-back in the 3rd, and three Hogs to push the pile. Of course we are putting more emphasis on the run.

Can you imagine how much easier Aaron Rodgers job will be when teams have to stack the box because they can’t stop the run. Jimmy G and Ryan Tannehill lived off play action and put up great numbers. Rodgers and the receivers we have rostered are much better than either of those QB’s and receiving corps so we will be just fine as long as our line and backs do their jobs.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if we might see the new tight end in the slot. He seems to be built for it.

I have no doubt. He was drafted because of his versatility. He’s LaFleur’s version of Delanie Walker.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
So were you trying to get a receiver or weren’t you? Are you trying to lean more run heavy, or aren’t you? Gute talking out of both sides on this.

Thoughts?
I thought this BS GM said he was addressing the Packers needs and a main one was WR’s what a BS artist

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen quotes from Gute recently talking about how he learned a lot from Ron Wolf. Seems like he's also learned to make the same mistakes as Wolf. Wolf's biggest regret was not getting Favre enough weapons.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The amount of people who openly believe our front office and coaching staff are sabotaging this team is idiot level astounding.

It's ok to assume incompetence, or dislike the picks, but these players are OUR team now.

I swear, it's like a flashback to 2008. Maybe it works, maybe it fails miserably.

But no part of me thinks these guys are doing anything they think hinders a championship team purposely.

Building a team doesn't occur in a vacuum. Drafts are fluid and you make picks based on your confidence in your draft board. You sign players based on your cap, and their willingness/ability to play within your scheme/system/ hell... Your location.

The goal, at the end of the day... Is to field the best team you can, with the players and coaches that you can put on the field to give you the best chance to succeed.

These are those players, when the decision had to be made, that this staff feels give the Packers that chance.

Calm down.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The amount of people who openly believe our front office and coaching staff are sabotaging this team is idiot level astounding.

It's ok to assume incompetence, or dislike the picks, but these players are OUR team now.

I swear, it's like a flashback to 2008. Maybe it works, maybe it fails miserably.

But no part of me thinks these guys are doing anything they think hinders a championship team purposely.

Building a team doesn't occur in a vacuum. Drafts are fluid and you make picks based on your confidence in your draft board. You sign players based on your cap, and their willingness/ability to play within your scheme/system/ hell... Your location.

The goal, at the end of the day... Is to field the best team you can, with the players and coaches that you can put on the field to give you the best chance to succeed.

These are those players, when the decision had to be made, that this staff feels give the Packers that chance.

Calm down.
A 1st and a 4th for a quarterback that you hope and pray doesn’t see the field for at least two years. I get your point, but that’s not a move with the intention of fielding the best competitive team possible.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 1st and a 4th for a quarterback that you hope and pray doesn’t see the field for at least two years. I get your point, but that’s not a move with the intention of fielding the best competitive team possible.
I agree, but I also think QB is a different position. IF, and it is a big IF, he's what they think he is, i'm fine with the pick. Odds are obviously against that, there are teams with high picks that have taken 2 decades and 5 picks and still can't find a QB worth a ****. So, if he's that guy that is going to be great, i'm completely fine with the pick.

On the flip side, I know everyone, myself included, wanted a WR to get excited about. I don't think we needed superstar, while nice, a 50 catch (give or take) receiver with reliable routes and hands will make a world of difference on this team paired with Adams and an emerging Lazard. I also think there are other ways to aid a passing game besides just adding a pass catcher. running game and play action for one.

now everyone is upset they "reached" for a big, fast, athletic RB based on media guessed draft boards, but would seemingly would be overjoyed with us having taken a Mimms in the 1st round even though that would have been a full round "reach" based on actual NFL GM draft boards.

i know the Love trade may have prevented a move up in the 2nd to get a WR. I get that, and I'll make an exception for a QB if he turns out to be good. We didn't have enough capital to move up too far in the round for the highest rated WR's or any other of the highest rated positions, so I wasn't in favor of moving up for that. I don't think there were any LB'ers worth really moving up for either. Maybe the best available, but being worth it are two different things.

anyway, i'll try to stay on point. LOL Every time i start writing 15 different lines of thinking come in and I ramble, I apologize. so I'll just finish with, I don't think Gute is being deceitful or lying or incompetent when he says they liked some guys, they felt they had to get a great QB that was available, and I agree if he is in fact great, and then the way the board fell, there wasn't a WR worth picking vs other spots.

Sure they could have gotten the "best" WR available at that point. But if they're no more talented than say a EQB, are we really going to hang our hat on it just because he's "new" or could getting 2 players that can actually allow a coach to run the offense he wants, and one I happen to think can benefit a cerebral and HOF QB who's closer to the end than the beginning by giving him better passing looks and taking some beating off of his body.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would seem to resolve it.

His story is that he wanted a WR, but only one who would help right away. He wasn't interested in more projects. So when he missed out early, he decided to go another direction.

I think you nailed it man

The Top 4 WRs could probably give you production right away, ala an OBJ type of talent

The others were mostly projects or ones who probably wouldn't be much better than Lazard or ESB, who already(presumably) know the offense

And probably have more refined route running abilities, I would hope at least since they are already pros

That said....

I still would have gone ILB or OT...I dont get that

The late round interior OL guys I'm totally cool with, we do that pretty much every year

Paddypacker12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been a head scratching draft to say the least, would love to give them the benefit of the doubt but not sure the Packers as an organisation going on past drafts have earned it. I think having a future HOF quaterback has papered over the cracks of what has been a pretty shoddily run franchise in recent times. Last years FA signings aside.