Please stop saying, "It is hard to beat a team 3 times in a season"

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hey, how about a little sensitivity? They are not hillbillies but "genetic diversity challenged".

I`m sorry. I forgot they were partly YOUR people....lol A bit like every Liverpudlian originated from one of four Beatles. First tribe of Abraham if you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People have been misunderstanding this saying since the dawn of time. They take it to mean, that now, since we already beat the Vikings twice, we don't want to face them again, because hey, it's tough to beat a team 3 times in a season!

The reason it is "tough" to beat a team 3 times in a season is 1) teams will very rarely meet 3 times in a season, and if they do, 2) there's at least a 50% chance that will have split their first two games, making it impossible for either to beat the other 3 times.

Compare this to a 3 shot foul in basketball. It's hard to make all 3 free throws, right? That's what they say. But, if the shooter makes the first two and is a 75% free throw shooter, his chances of making the third are still 75%. Each event is independent. His chances don't go down for the third just because he made the first two.

Given two already secured victories, when teams meet a third time, the 2-0 team, historically, also wins the 3rd match, at about a 70% success rate. This is obviously not a guarantee, but it is a very long ways from being the difficult task that everyone seems to think it is going into a third meeting.

That is all.
True. I still prefer playing the one we have not played this season if it is possible. It makes for more adjustments by both teams. In NCAA hoops we see some teams play 3 and even 4 times in a season. It gets too predictable.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Es difícil vencer a un equipo 3 veces en una temporada

Сложно обыграть команду 3 раза за сезон

È difficile battere una squadra 3 volte in una stagione

シーズンでチームを3回倒すのは難しい

Det är svårt att slå ett lag tre gånger på en säsong

Thật khó để đánh bại một đội 3 lần trong một mùa

Il est difficile de battre une équipe 3 fois en une saison

One must say that it is quite formidable to triumph over a crew thrice in a season (British English)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

BTW, where is Penny Lane and please explain a fish and finger pie? :whistling:

Penny Lane is in Liverpool, the Woolton area I think, and I believe you might mean a fish finger pie not a fish AND finger pie. A fish finger is a three inch long piece of fish which is dipped in egg and breadcrumbs and is delicious on a sandwich with mayonnaise or tartar sauce.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sky King

Reaction score
For those still scratching their heads, they played two regular-season games against the Bears in 2010 as usual. However, one was played on the last game of the regular season, which also happened to fall on January 2, 2011. Three weeks later they again played the Bears, this time in the NFCCG. Thus they topped-out at three games played vs the Bears for a single season thanks to the playoff game but that made four games played during a single calendar year. I had forgotten about that quirk since it happened almost a decade ago. Tempus fugit.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. I still prefer playing the one we have not played this season if it is possible. It makes for more adjustments by both teams. In NCAA hoops we see some teams play 3 and even 4 times in a season. It gets too predictable.

When the alternative is the San Francisco 49ers, in California, where we didn't even look like we belonged in the NFL both times we went out there this year, I'll take my chances with a 3rd predictable game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'll just say it...it is impossible to beat a team 4 times in a row in a single season for the Packers.

Maybe the team can't, but a player could conceivably beat the same team 5 times in a single season. I will let you figure out the math on how one would accomplish that. :D

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
even more...think multiple trades AND playoffs.

Brilliant!

I was taking into account playoffs, which you could only face the same team once, due to the trade deadline. However, with multiple trades, I guess, conceivably a guy could face the Bears in week 1 and get traded each week to the team about to face the Bears. Up until the trade deadline, when he would be traded to a North Division Rival, face the Bears twice more in the regular season and once in the playoffs. Bringing the grand total to......

11 games against the same opponent in one year.

*drinks another Red Bull*

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Penny Lane is in Liverpool, the Woolton area I think, and I believe you might mean a fish finger pie not a fish AND finger pie. A fish finger is a three inch long piece of fish which is dipped in egg and breadcrumbs and is delicious on a sandwich with mayonnaise or tartar sauce.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
So a fish stick?

Staff online

Latest posts