Are the Packers the most likable team in football?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Hear me out...I am the token Packers fan in my life. Friends, family, my coworkers, my clients, etc. the second they see Green and Gold, they think about me and likely reach out to me in some way, shape or form. For the past 3 decades, this has been a pain point in my life. Everyone reaches out, talking crap after the most brutal of losses (Seattle NFC championship) or saying the Packers never deserved the win (Dez catch), you know the list goes on and on. In the inaugural Jordan Love season, there has been a shift. I must have received 60 texts from different people in my life yesterday, all positive vibes, cheering this team on. Is this young team, so likable that fans around the league actually want to see them make a run? Is this just happening to me? Lets talk Pack fans, because I feel we are experiencing something special here.

Reaction score
The bulk of those that didn’t like the Packers probably won’t switch allegiance. Might be a few in betweeners and some young fans that become Packer fans based on us being exciting and Jordan being a good kid.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the inaugural Jordan Love season, there has been a shift. I must have received 60 texts from different people in my life yesterday, all positive vibes, cheering this team on. Is this young team, so likable that fans around the league actually want to see them make a run?

Because Love is new and shiny and people love that.

From the movie Air : " It's an American story, and that's why Americans are gonna love it. People are going to build you up, and God are they going to, because when you're great and new, we love you. Man, we'll build you up into something that doesn't even exist. You're going to change the f****** world. But you know what? Once they've built you as high as they possibly can, they're gonna tear you back down - it's the most predictable pattern"

Not to mention there is a subset of people, both Packer fan and non-Packer fan, that absolutely despise Aaron Rodgers and wanted nothing good to come to him. So, with Love playing well they get the new and shiny and also get to laugh at Rodgers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL has pushed hard for parity, which I think is a great thing. However, we all know that there are teams like the Lions and Dolphins that have gone decades without winning a playoff game. They all have the same tools so while a team might be the underdog, fans don't tend to have a ton of sympathy for the have-nots.

However, the young team aspect is a bit different. It gives the Packers that element of the small-school, Cinderella story going into March Madness. It would be most compelling if it were a team such as the Dolphins, because people have seen the Packers successful for a long time, but it will still be a part of the excitement.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bulk of those that didn’t like the Packers probably won’t switch allegiance. Might be a few in betweeners and some young fans that become Packer fans based on us being exciting and Jordan being a good kid.
Well exciting anyway. I don't think being a good kid factors into much it with young fans. I think they will undoubtedly get back a few fans that Aaron Rodgers drove away. Of course there will be the Packers fans extoling the virtues of Jordan Love and proclaiming him to be the 2nd coming of Aaron Rodgers, or the third coming of Brett Favre (read that as the third consecutive HOF QB) that will turn a lot of people off. Its like with many teams, the haters will say "I don't' mind the team so much its their fans I hate" I know exactly how they feel and to be honest there are some Packers fans that who are so obnoxious they almost make me want to question my allegiance.

Having said that I don't know if the Packers have that divisive guy on their roster. Those few guys that just turn off a lot of fans (Packers fans and those of other teams.) Most of the players seem to be pretty well grounded and dare I say humble. Maybe Jaire comes the closest but being outspoken doesn't always equate to being unlikeable. Lets hope the success doesn't change them.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our continued success since 1992 and now we found yet another QB I have a feeling a lot of non-Packers fans are sick of us. lol

We do have one of the largest fan bases in the league. A lot of folks love the small town/David vs Goliath thing we have going. There are Packers fans EVERYWHERE. It surprised us when we moved down here.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting watching J.Johnson at 1/2time when asked what should be said to the cowboys. Very unbecoming. I didn't see any former Packer on that stage. They just hated what the Pack were doing.
It's the same with most football analysts on tv and NFL radio. They were giving huge kudos to Houston and Stroud for drumming Cleveland. Green Bay, hardly a mention. Just talk about what is Dallas gonna do and how could it happen cuz GB had no business winning like they did
They just hate what the Pack did. Probably cuz we have no pro bowlers.

GO PACK and remember how you did it. Don't get an attitude like the cowboys.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not in Dallas, we aren't.

Speaking of which..... from their forum, I think this post sums up everything that happened to them yesterday.

"
  • Yeah Quinn got cute and it backfired. And then we never adjusted. They coached circles around Quinn. We had zero sacks. They made Parsons a non factor in a huge game. Jordan Love almost had a perfect QB rating. But his QBR was insane at 99.3. We didn't do nothing to make him look uncomfortable.
  • Idk what was up with CeeDee but the drops when we needed him to be a playmaker was bad.
  • Other than a few decent runs Pollard struggled to run the ball.

This game was terrible. It's like GB was too physical for our guys. I wonder why we don't feature Ferguson more he was the only one on offense matching the GB physicality. It's like GB took away Lamb and forced someone else to beat them. Then we started forcing the ball to Lamb and GB was right there and picked it off for a defensive score. You can't do that in the NFL."

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Quote from another Dallas fan about the crowd and the Packers.

"It was cool at first. I left at halftime. Call me a fake fan, or whatever, but I was beating traffic home, and I couldn't stomach another playoff loss to the Packers, and their annoying fans basically taking over the 2nd half. I knew after the 1st offense and defensive drives the game was over."

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how relevant it is today, but years ago in an issue of SI they were talking about popularity of different teams and overall they had Cowboys and Packers #1 and #2. But they also asked people who their SECOND favorite team was, and #1 by a big margin was Packers, second place was Steelers and Cowboys were somewhere down in the 20's. So yeah, I would say among fans of other teams, the Packers are probably the most liked. I can't imagine it would have changed that much.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in Chicago. Both my friends and bar acquaintances hate the Pack even more now.

Ive really been enjoying watching clips of Bears fans watching the Packers play...cracks me up that they take it so seriously

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me we're the most likeable. But we usually rank among the most liked teams, but rarely #1. Since we started to become successful again in the '90s, we've also become one of the most hated teams. Successful teams always get hated, I'm sure some people are tired of seeing us as perennial contenders. But it's hard to imagine who could hate the Packers, it's the best story in sports.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive really been enjoying watching clips of Bears fans watching the Packers play...cracks me up that they take it so seriously
Please post links to them. It's one of my favorite forms of entertainment

Members online

Latest posts