Please stop saying, "It is hard to beat a team 3 times in a season"

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People have been misunderstanding this saying since the dawn of time. They take it to mean, that now, since we already beat the Vikings twice, we don't want to face them again, because hey, it's tough to beat a team 3 times in a season!

The reason it is "tough" to beat a team 3 times in a season is 1) teams will very rarely meet 3 times in a season, and if they do, 2) there's at least a 50% chance that will have split their first two games, making it impossible for either to beat the other 3 times.

Compare this to a 3 shot foul in basketball. It's hard to make all 3 free throws, right? That's what they say. But, if the shooter makes the first two and is a 75% free throw shooter, his chances of making the third are still 75%. Each event is independent. His chances don't go down for the third just because he made the first two.

Given two already secured victories, when teams meet a third time, the 2-0 team, historically, also wins the 3rd match, at about a 70% success rate. This is obviously not a guarantee, but it is a very long ways from being the difficult task that everyone seems to think it is going into a third meeting.

That is all.

Sky King

Reaction score
Is there some tortured logic going on here? Everyone is being politely implored not to mention you-know-what. Apparently, after the OP made the post the expectation was that nobody would then make any comments in support of the unsaid, unwanted opinion, except that the OP himself mentioned you-know-what and Amish echoed that digitally.

SMH :tdown:...

Time to close the thread?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was pretty tough to beat them in the 2004 season three times, in fact... we didn't. And lost to them in the playoffs while attempting to sweep them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Please stop saying, "Please stop saying, 'It is hard to beat a team 3 times in a season.'"

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alternate: It's hard to sweep a team over two games, but even harder to sweep a team over three games.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or....

It gets increasingly tougher with every game in a single season to finish a game with more points than the same team...especially hard in the final possible re-match within a single season with that same team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just say it...it is impossible to beat a team 4 times in a row in a single season for the Packers.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets just all agree it's easier to beat a team 3 times in one season than to get lucky with the wife two nights in a row.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets just all agree it's easier to beat a team 3 times in one season than to get lucky with the wife two nights in a row.
With all due respect, I’d posit... that you may be married to the wrong wife lol.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all due respect, I’d posit... that you may be married to the wrong wife lol.

hah! think i have been saying that since I got married! just playin'. she is the best thing. HOWEVER, you'd think for staying married this long the rewards would be a better sex life. LOL

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was pretty tough to beat them in the 2004 season three times, in fact... we didn't. And lost to them in the playoffs while attempting to sweep them.

Just because it has happened before does not make it the most likely of the scenarios. This is very simply statistics. Each event is independent of the others.

In the 97-98 season, we beat Tampa 3 times. The 2-0 team has won 14 games and lost 7 in the 3rd matchup, that was 1 of the 7. That does not make it more likely.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
In one season beating the same team 3x means we got their number, we got their address, we got the championship...

Champagne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings will have a tough time in San Francisco against the 49ers.

The Seahawks will play hard and I don't think that they will get blown out.

But, if the choice is between playing the Vikings at home vs. the Packers flying to SF to play the 49ers, you've got to prefer the latter (obviously).

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings will have a tough time in San Francisco against the 49ers.

The Seahawks will play hard and I don't think that they will get blown out.

But, if the choice is between playing the Vikings at home vs. the Packers flying to SF to play the 49ers, you've got to prefer the latter (obviously).

I have to assume you meant the former, not the latter.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I would rather take a chance at the team we went 2-0 against and out scored 44-26 than a team that beat us 8-37.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe please stop saying "Please stop saying"

I'm just saying.

The original thread title wasn't meant to be literal. Say what you will, it's your life.

I was simply pointing out the falsehoods about an old tired cliche, to which we have all too many that get spun into urban legends and get people to think crazy things like we actually have a better chance of going into San Francisco and winning than beating Minnesota again at Lambeau.

Didn't think it would get this far off the rails.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The original thread title wasn't meant to be literal. Say what you will, it's your life.

I was simply pointing out the falsehoods about an old tired cliche, to which we have all too many that get spun into urban legends and get people to think crazy things like we actually have a better chance of going into San Francisco and winning than beating Minnesota again at Lambeau.

Didn't think it would get this far off the rails.

Don't ever say a thread has gotten off the rails.... LOL :)

Members online

Latest posts