Playoffs

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The point is NO TEAM in the NFC has shown an ability to compete with the Saints. We've already seen the Vikings get beat up by the Saints in Minnesota. You think that's going to change in NO? We've already seen a double-digit victory by the Saints over the Rams, who I think have clearly been the SECOND BEST team in the NFC. If the second-best team in the NFC lost by double digits to NO, how in the hell do you think ANY team can compete with them?

So when you say "Green Bay would be a bye week" for NO, same goes for all other teams. So, once again, according to your logic, should no teams try to make the playoffs since nobody is going to beat NO at this point?

Sounds like you have taken what Un4GivN has said, made your own theory out of it and are now trying to convince him that it is his theory, so that you can disagree with it.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to read more carefully.
My reading comprehension is really good, thank you.

Making the playoff this year would just give NO a second bye week.

"Making the playoffs would just give NO a second bye week"? Well, if that's the case, by the looks of things, nobody besides the Rams should be trying to make the playoffs. (and even the Rams would likely get spanked in NO.)

So should all the other teams give up as well, since they have zero chance of beating the Saints? Maybe you can further clarify. ;)

Your theory not his Red Crayon Boy!

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The faulty "theory" I was referring to was that a team should give up if they are not considered to have a chance in the playoffs. Reading carefully is your friend. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The faulty "theory" I was referring to was that a team should give up if they are not considered to have a chance in the playoffs. Reading carefully is your friend. :)
Again and for the final time. This "Faulty theory" you are referring to is a theory you derived all on your own. Someone said the Packers don't even stand a chance against the Saints. You ran with this and said that since in your opinion no team stands a chance against the Saints, in your opinion they all should give up.

Yeah I know......give me your RED X......I could tell you that Jeff Janis has a .000001% chance of getting inducted into the Hall of Fame and you would try to tell me I was wrong and not a Packer Fan.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again and for the final time. This "Faulty theory" you are referring to is a theory you derived all on your own. Someone said the Packers don't even stand a chance against the Saints. You ran with this and said that since in your opinion no team stands a chance against the Saints, in your opinion they all should give up.

Yeah I know......give me your RED X......I could tell you that Jeff Janis has a .000001% chance of getting inducted into the Hall of Fame and you would try to tell me I was wrong and not a Packer Fan.
Calm down. It's gonna be okay buddy. It looks like you're just out looking for an argument. I'm not going to give it to you. This is a thread to discuss the playoffs, which the Packers still have a chance of reaching. Please stay on topic. You can go discuss how the world is ending elsewhere.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think some people understand how difficult it is to leapfrog four teams in five weeks even if we do go undefeated.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think some people understand how difficult it is to leapfrog four teams in five weeks even if we do go undefeated.

Agreed and I think the second part is also something that people are afraid to admit probably won't happen, the Packers go undefeated.

Reaction score
I am newer to this board. So if the Packers miss the playoffs, does it usually die down around here? Or is everyone still here discussing stuff? I hope it stays active. I gotta kill time at work guys and gals.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and I think the second part is also something that people are afraid to admit probably won't happen, the Packers go undefeated.
Who in their right mind wouldn’t be able to admit that? I honestly cant imagine any member of this forum entertaining the idea of.. oh wait.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am newer to this board. So if the Packers miss the playoffs, does it usually die down around here? Or is everyone still here discussing stuff? I hope it stays active. I gotta kill time at work guys and gals.
Depends on what is happening in Packerland.
  • Hiring new coaches: will be active.
  • Resigning or not resigning players: active
  • Free Agency: Very active
  • Draft talk and the draft itself: Very active
So I guess the long and the short is stick around, there is always something fun to chat about. Probably the biggest down time are June and early July.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who in their right mind wouldn’t be able to admit that? I honestly cant imagine any member of this forum entertaining the idea of.. oh wait.
That moment when you cant even finish your post before “a Red X appears”

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sort of like Perry? Take the money and... :)

By the way, don't worry about a falloff in posting if the Pack continues to stink the bed.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The point is NO TEAM in the NFC has shown an ability to compete with the Saints. We've already seen the Vikings get beat up by the Saints in Minnesota. You think that's going to change in NO? We've already seen a double-digit victory by the Saints over the Rams, who I think have clearly been the SECOND BEST team in the NFC. If the second-best team in the NFC lost by double digits to NO, how in the hell do you think ANY team can compete with them?

So when you say "Green Bay would be a bye week" for NO, same goes for all other teams. So, once again, according to your logic, should no teams try to make the playoffs since nobody is going to beat NO at this point?
Yeah, the Saints won. Brees had 120 yards passing and the Saints had 106 yards rushing. But yeah, they weren't able to compete.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team doesn't deserve the playoffs,

Honestly what does that even mean?

It's not like we we're gifted the playoffs because MM won a beauty contest, eh!

We won and other teams didn't, simple as. I don't get fans down playing our own team for no reason at all. If we make it there, we deserve it.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big game to watch will be week 14 Vikings @ Seahawks. A Vikings win would probably be better for the Packers. Then all we would need from the Seahawks is a loss to the Chiefs.

I looked at this as Hawks winning would be better. They have a easier schedule than Vikes and probably a better team too. The game advantage which Vikes have over us will get wiped and us having the easier schedule than Vikes will help....or that was my thinking.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. It seems like some are afraid to admit your first major point, This team is just not that good. This is a 4-6-1 team that hasn't beaten anyone of note since Week 1. If this was a team that had looked pretty decent during the season and one that was getting a healthy player or 2 back from injury, which could make them highly competitive, I would be right on that "lets just make the playoffs, because we can win it all" bandwagon. But the fact of the matter is, this team isn't very good in its current state. Not even a win on the road, which is where they would be in the playoffs.

So as a Packer fan I too am looking at the Big Picture of what is best for this team going forward. Win out the season and just miss or make the playoffs or take the attitude of "this wasn't our year, what can we do over the next 5 games to improve this team for 2019?"

I don't think there is a lot that the Packers can or should do to save Coaching jobs at this point, so not even going to point to what winning or losing games the rest of the season does to that.

Sure, its great to win some games, but at what cost? Playing guys that probably won't be on the team next year, exposing AR to further major injuries, picking later in each round of the draft?

While they probably won't do what I am suggesting until they are "officially" eliminated, I would treat the rest of the season as getting ready for 2019. Get as much playing time in for the backups that will be here next year. If AR needs more time with the Rookie WR's to establish chemistry, do it safely with quick throws and not taking needless hits in the pocket. Losing games at this point isn't what a lot of Packer fans want to watch, but each loss moves you up in each round of the draft and I am OK with that.

Only problem, you probably have a Lame Duck coach making the decisions and I don't see MM wanting to do anything but throw everything he has to win now and who cares about the 2019 Packers, because he won't be around to coach them.

Take my opinion as a defeatist one, but I view it more of one of looking squarely at the reality of the situation and what is best for the teams future.
I don’t really disagree... but it’s not likely the current coaching staff is going to go along with that plan lol.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked at this as Hawks winning would be better. They have a easier schedule than Vikes and probably a better team too. The game advantage which Vikes have over us will get wiped and us having the easier schedule than Vikes will help....or that was my thinking.
I can see your point. An argument can definetly be made either way.

Things would really get interesting if the Bears dropped a game they shouldn’t, like this weekend in New York. Doubtful, but it would make things super interesting because the bears still have the packers, rams, and Vikings left.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly what does that even mean?

It's not like we we're gifted the playoffs because MM won a beauty contest, eh!

We won and other teams didn't, simple as. I don't get fans down playing our own team for no reason at all. If we make it there, we deserve it.

Another explanation... I must be off my game today. But here we go...

12 NFL teams make the playoffs each year. Often times not the best 12 teams because of the deviation of schedule, division strength, conference strength, playing less than 50% of nfl teams, etc. The Packers are not a top 12 team in the NFL.

Thus... If they make it by beating the Dolphins, Bills, 49ers, Arizona, Jets, Atl, Detroit, and the Bears. Only 1 of which has a winning record.

So that is what I mean when I say the Packers do not deserve a spot in the playoffs.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another explanation... I must be off my game today. But here we go...

12 NFL teams make the playoffs each year. Often times not the best 12 teams because of the deviation of schedule, division strength, conference strength, playing less than 50% of nfl teams, etc. The Packers are not a top 12 team in the NFL.

Thus... If they make it by beating the Dolphins, Bills, 49ers, Arizona, Jets, Atl, Detroit, and the Bears. Only 1 of which has a winning record. I don't see them worth their spot.
It’s very hard to argue against that with a straight face. That being said, if they somehow got in, I would be rooting for them... and it wouldn’t completely surprise me if they won a couple playoff games... of course to get there would mean they had just won 4 in a row.... something that they do not appear to be capable of doing.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like the Packers.
If you really think they have a chance then you need to stop being such a homer Mr. Simpson.
Stick a fork in us. We are done.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calm down. It's gonna be okay buddy. It looks like you're just out looking for an argument. I'm not going to give it to you. This is a thread to discuss the playoffs, which the Packers still have a chance of reaching. Please stay on topic. You can go discuss how the world is ending elsewhere.
I just had to give you the funny for that because that is just freaking heelarious!
Thanx for that laugh!
Now excuse me as I go get a rag to clean off my screen from the beer I spewed from cracking up!