Pictures tell a thousand words

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The oldest starting quarterback in the NFL in 2023 was Matt Stafford. The last time Green Bay started a rookie QB, Stafford wasn't even born yet.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too think that if Love is the starting QB for the Packers until 2033 (modest 10 year starting career), there will be people in there 40s that have only known 3 starting QBs... That is just mind boggling. Long way to go for that to happen, but how many positions in any sport have potentially had that few of starters?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too think that if Love is the starting QB for the Packers until 2033 (modest 10 year starting career), there will be people in there 40s that have only known 3 starting QBs... That is just mind boggling.
just to be completely random, how many starting kickers have we had in that same time span?

Reaction score
just to be completely random, how many starting kickers have we had in that same time span?
Between 1987-1997 and the emergence of Ryan Longwell we had already had 4 Kickers, although Chris Jacke, Longwell and Crosby all had nice runs or the number would’ve been much higher.

Eight is the answer

Why are Kickers always the last to want to go to someone else’s party?
Because they want to “kick it” from their own Place

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Jacke was part of the 1989 Cardiac Pack / Come-back Pack crew and then provided consistent kicking through the ascension of the Packers in the early-90s.

Max Zendejas was my guy though until Jacke came along....(j/k)

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can remember when we had Jan Stenerud!

(Actually, I remember all the way back to Chester Marcol.)

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too think that if Love is the starting QB for the Packers until 2033 (modest 10 year starting career), there will be people in there 40s that have only known 3 starting QBs... That is just mind boggling. Long way to go for that to happen, but how many positions in any sport have potentially had that few of starters?

Man.... very interesting thought. It really is an amazing thing when I look back on it; I was born in 1957, and I remember sitting on those damned aluminum bleachers at Lambeau Field watching quarterback duels between Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas and Sonny Jurgensen, and Starr dropping pinpoint passes right into the hands of Boyd Dowler and Carrol Dale. And now I'm watching Jordan Love, already a Top Ten NFL quarterback with a decade and a half to go before he finishes.

In between, I've watched Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers with receivers like Adams, Freeman, Jennings, Sharpe, Brooks, Chmura, Driver.... cripes, the sheer level of quarterback play over the years I've been watching this team is staggering when I think about it. It's just mind-boggling; almost every other team in the league is happy to look back on just one single stellar quarterback in their history who they can point to and say, "these were our 5 years or 8 years or whatever" - and in my lifetime we've had 3 of the alltime greats and may possibly be seeing anothe one.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Hornung and Kramer both use the square toe kicking shoe?

Wow, good question. I'd forgotten about those.

I know Kramer did, because it's in the Packer Hall of Fame. Here's a picture of him using it, too.

Kicking was a really different game back then; it wasn't taken very seriously. Very few teams (if any) actually had a kickng coach, and a lot of them didn't even waste a roster spot on a fulltime kicker. There were always a couple of guys who had done some kicking in college. We had Willie Wood kicking for a while, and Chuck Mercein too. Standards were low; if you banged 65% of your field goals, you were a god and most field goals weren't much more than 40 yards. Quite a lot of kickers back then never made more than 50% of their attempts, and some kickers would go a whole season without ever kicking anything longer than 40 yards.

Can you even imagine that in this day and age?!? Your kicker with a lifetime average of 50 or 60% and a range of 50 or maybe 60 yards? It'd be like the NHL in the 50s, where some players could not even skate backwards without tripping over their own skates.

Interesting how many years it took for the league to figure out what an important way that was to put points on the board and win close games. It's literally just an entirely different game now. Everything about how teams run their offenses and manage their drives revolves heavily around the assumption that if you can get to the other team's 35, you're probably going to score 3 points.

Edit: On second thought, I imagine they all must have used the box toe. They were all straight-ahead kickers, so they probably had to.

Attachments

• kramer.jpg
    kramer.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the answer is eight. Thou shalt not count to nine; nine being one too many. Nor shalt thou stop at seven unless thou then procedeth to immediately count to eight. Ten is right out.
Ah, the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, good question. I'd forgotten about those.

I know Kramer did, because it's in the Packer Hall of Fame. Here's a picture of him using it, too.

Kicking was a really different game back then; it wasn't taken very seriously. Very few teams (if any) actually had a kickng coach, and a lot of them didn't even waste a roster spot on a fulltime kicker. There were always a couple of guys who had done some kicking in college. We had Willie Wood kicking for a while, and Chuck Mercein too. Standards were low; if you banged 65% of your field goals, you were a god and most field goals weren't much more than 40 yards. Quite a lot of kickers back then never made more than 50% of their attempts, and some kickers would go a whole season without ever kicking anything longer than 40 yards.

Can you even imagine that in this day and age?!? Your kicker with a lifetime average of 50 or 60% and a range of 50 or maybe 60 yards? It'd be like the NHL in the 50s, where some players could not even skate backwards without tripping over their own skates.

Interesting how many years it took for the league to figure out what an important way that was to put points on the board and win close games. It's literally just an entirely different game now. Everything about how teams run their offenses and manage their drives revolves heavily around the assumption that if you can get to the other team's 35, you're probably going to score 3 points.

Edit: On second thought, I imagine they all must have used the box toe. They were all straight-ahead kickers, so they probably had to.
I'm not sure what roster sizes were back then but in the 60's they were essentially just coming out of the time period when players played offense and defense. Plus, no revenue sharing and TV revenue to speak of meant that team and league finances were at shoestring level. Players squabbled with Lombardi over hundreds of dollars.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between 1987-1997 and the emergence of Ryan Longwell we had already had 4 Kickers, although Chris Jacke, Longwell and Crosby all had nice runs or the number would’ve been much higher.

Eight is the answer

Why are Kickers always the last to want to go to someone else’s party?
Because they want to “kick it” from their own Place

Attachments

• 8enough.jpg
    8enough.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 18

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man.... very interesting thought. It really is an amazing thing when I look back on it; I was born in 1957, and I remember sitting on those damned aluminum bleachers at Lambeau Field watching quarterback duels between Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas and Sonny Jurgensen, and Starr dropping pinpoint passes right into the hands of Boyd Dowler and Carrol Dale. And now I'm watching Jordan Love, already a Top Ten NFL quarterback with a decade and a half to go before he finishes.

In between, I've watched Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers with receivers like Adams, Freeman, Jennings, Sharpe, Brooks, Chmura, Driver.... cripes, the sheer level of quarterback play over the years I've been watching this team is staggering when I think about it. It's just mind-boggling; almost every other team in the league is happy to look back on just one single stellar quarterback in their history who they can point to and say, "these were our 5 years or 8 years or whatever" - and in my lifetime we've had 3 of the alltime greats and may possibly be seeing anothe one.
Don't forget Lynn ****ey. The guy could wing the ball around!

There's another side to this coin too. You've also watched John Hadl, Rich Campbell, David Whitehurst, Anthony Dilweg, Blair Kiel, and the king of them all.....TJ Rubley!

Post Note - I could remember the play but couldn't remember Rubley's name. For some reason I was thinking Spurgeon Wynn, but he was a clusterfudge for the Vikings in a similar fashion. However, this list of Worst Ten Packers Backup QBs reminded me. It was a good, quick read too:

Members online