Peter King mentions in this round table discussion that Cobb will stay in GB

H

HardRightEdge

I expect Cobb to field offers starting on Saturday after he's allowed. That will give the Packers his actual market value.

Then the Packers can match the offer.
Sure they can match the offer. But will they match the offer? Doubtful.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has yet to let a really good player go after his rookie deal. Or at least I can't think of any.

In every instance besides Shields, he also had a new contract in place well before it got to this point.

This is a little bit of new territory, and it's not all up to Thompson.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay may not get the chance to match. Somebody waves a BIG *** in front of Cobb it may come with a take it or leave it NOW provision. If Green Bay let's Cobb slip away, they definitely take a step back, which is not to say they can't overcome it, but they become a much less dangerous football team. Jordy is very good, but he doesn't scare anyone, and he's probably all he's ever going to be. Cobb is still on an upward trajectory with a lot more upside. It's a parity league so, we'll be ok without Cobb, but we could be really good if we can find a way to bring him back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Green Bay may not get the chance to match. Somebody waves a BIG *** in front of Cobb it may come with a take it or leave it NOW provision. If Green Bay let's Cobb slip away, they definitely take a step back, which is not to say they can't overcome it, but they become a much less dangerous football team. Jordy is very good, but he doesn't scare anyone, and he's probably all he's ever going to be. Cobb is still on an upward trajectory with a lot more upside. It's a parity league so, we'll be ok without Cobb, but we could be really good if we can find a way to bring him back.

Other teams can't sign Cobb to a contract until Tuesday so the Packers most likely will get a chance to match any offers he receives starting today.

Nelson is an elite receiver, no idea why Packers fan would think differently.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No guarantees the Packers get a chance to match. The reality is Cobb could be gone today.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson knows what he's doing. It's the reason we're in the playoffs year after year. Relax.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jordy is very good, but he doesn't scare anyone, and he's probably all he's ever going to be.
What an ignorant 'couch potato' statement. According to nfl.com stats, Nelson finished the regular season 7th in receptions, 4th in total yards, tied for second in receiving TDs, and 2nd in receptions 40+ yards. Imagine a Packers fan posting a regular season of 98 receptions for 1,519 yards (15.5 average) and 13 TDs is "all he's ever going to be". How many long TD passes have we seen him catch? How many ballet-like sideline catches and he doesn't scare anyone? Oye.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No s**t, Sherlock. Meaning the reality is he can have a done deal today requiring nothing more than his signature at 4pm Tuesday.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson knows what he's doing. It's the reason we're in the playoffs year after year. Relax.

Well, then I guess that's it and that's that. Nothing to see here, nothing to discuss. Time to close down the site, and every one like it.

D

Deleted member 6794

No s**t, Sherlock. Meaning the reality is he can have a done deal today requiring nothing more than his signature at 4pm Tuesday.

The reality is he will ask the Packers to match the best offer he will receive during this negotiating period.

H

HardRightEdge

The reality is he will ask the Packers to match the best offer he will receive during this negotiating period.
We'd like to think so, but it may not work out that way. And it probably wouldn't matter anyway. It depends on the tenor of the Packer discussions to date, or a conversation with another team along the lines of "what would it take to put you in this helmet today?" Nobody wants to be played as a negotiating pawn. If Cobb, or anybody else, states a number and the number is accepted, an "I'll get back to you" might not fly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then that's your opinion my friend, not reality.

We'd like to think so, but it may not work out that way. And it probably wouldn't matter anyway. It depends on the tenor of the Packer discussions to date, or a conversation with another team along the lines of "what would it take to put you in this helmet today?" Nobody wants to be played as a negotiating pawn. If Cobb, or anybody else, states a number and the number is accepted, an "I'll get back to you" might not fly.

There's a three day negotiating period as of right now and an agent and his player would be pretty stupid not to use that time frame to maximize the offered money by talking to every single team interested.

H

HardRightEdge

There's a three day negotiating period as of right now and an agent and his player would be pretty stupid not to use that time frame to maximize the offered money by talking to every single team interested.
Certainly. But decision time from the team with the best offer can come before the 3 days has elapsed. If Cobb, or anybody else, states a number, and a team matches it, it may be under the condition that if he walks out of the room without a handshake, the offer is withdrawn.

D

Deleted member 6794

Certainly. But decision time from the team with the best offer can come before the 3 days has elapsed. If Cobb, or anybody else, states a number, and a team matches it, it may be under the condition that if he walks out of the room without a handshake, the offer is withdrawn.

I really don't see teams having as much leverage in these negotiations as you might think. An agent most likely listens to offers from several teams first before asking them to sweeten their deals. In addition I expect these discussions to take place over the phone.

H

HardRightEdge

I really don't see teams having as much leverage in these negotiations as you might think. An agent most likely listens to offers from several teams first before asking them to sweeten their deals. In addition I expect these discussions to take place over the phone.
The "handshake" and the "room" are proverbial. That should be obvious.

In any negotiation, if a price is offered, the price is accepted, and the answer that follows is "we'll get to you", you're being played. A good negotiator does not stand for it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn’t see this article referenced previously – it’s Jason Wilde three days ago suggesting the Packers not worry about paying Cobb more than Nelson.
At least one person thinks it’d be OK for the team to pay Cobb more than Nelson. Jordy Nelson. … Cobb won’t be a bargain – the guess here is that to return, he'd need a deal that averages between $10 million and $11 million, despite rumors that agent Jimmy Sexton is seeking a $12 million-a-year average – but it shouldn’t matter. The Packers gambled by not signing Cobb to an extension last year. Losing him over the antiquated notion of a salary hierarchy would be an even bigger gamble – and one they’d likely lose, too. Pay that man his money.
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=19601&is_corp=1

It includes a good re-cap of Cobb’s career in Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 6794

In any negotiation, if a price is offered, the price is accepted, and the answer that follows is "we'll get to you", you're being played. A good negotiator does not stand for it.

I think an agent for an NFL player takes a different approach in that he doesn't set a price for teams to match but listens to offers by several teams.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports; word, apparently from Cobb's camp, that he's take $1-2M less per year to stay in Green Bay.

Members online

Latest posts