Peter King mentions in this round table discussion that Cobb will stay in GB

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its only 17 mil. Considering the franchise tag was over 12 mil, 17 mil is not bad at all on a 4 year deal.

No, I'm not saying it's bad at all. It just seems weird that everyone was saying we were only going to offer $9-10 million and that's what what the deal ended up being. My question is what actually got this deal done without him testing FA?

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome news and a lesson that you can't believe everything you read at this time
Of the year as most reports had him with one foot out of the door. Thank you TT
And Randall for taking less to stay with us.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I'm not saying it's bad at all. It just seems weird that everyone was saying we were only going to offer $9-10 million and that's what what the deal ended up being. My question is what actually got this deal done without him testing FA?
I think he really wanted to return and he knew how good of a situation he was in with Jordy, Rodgers and the entire offense. I think he told his agent enough is enough....I don't want a few mil more to rot in Jacksonille. I would not be shocked if good ol boy Jimmy Sexton is pissed off as all hell with Cobb right now.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He DID test free agency, he (reportedly) got 7 offers, Green Bay was the one ALL things considered, he thought was the best

17 Mil even after taxes etc SHOULD be enough to set you up pretty comfortably if you don't go crazy

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOW we can concentrate on our ILB situation along with the Bulaga and Williams deals.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome news and a lesson that you can't believe everything you read at this time
Of the year as most reports had him with one foot out of the door. Thank you TT
And Randall for taking less to stay with us.

As per Cobb's twitter page on February 26th.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All smiles here. Good call on Cobb. Hard to look at Jennings chasing money, Jones chasing money, and others, and seeing the best possible situation slip away for him.

At 24, he will only be 28 when this contract runs out, and prime if he had aaron throwing to him and jordy taking pressure off.

He had to realize this and know that if he signed another deal and gambled with the #1spot too early, with a young qb, no help at wr, possible different coach, scheme,etc, it meant bad news.

glad to have him stay!

:tup:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad he took the offer. Had he took the Oakland gig his numbers would of plummeted and no chance to earn a SB ring. Stay in Green Bay increases his chances of getting a Ring. Why would any WR leave a team that has a future HoF QB still in his prime throwing ball to you. Look at what happen to Greg Jennings he has done squat in Minnesota.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he is a FA again I believe he will still be younger than Jennings was when his sister made him leave for the $$$$$

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe receivers in the NFL are finally starting to learn that they generally are not going to be much of anything without a good quarterback? Of course there are the outliers and there have been plenty of good receivers without good quarterbacks but generally speaking you don't see it too often.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is that as fans we rarely see a 24 year old player hit free agency while in a very nice upward trajectory. It is very rare.

He is a young, talented, smart wr in a good system, that has excelled. Not one who has the talent to excel, but is doing it already.

Most wr in his caliber are at or near 30.

The last time I remember a situation like this is welker being traded to n.e. from Miami.

I thought that was a steal for the pats back then.

We won this one. I think Cobb has the ability to be special for a long time in green bay.

I'm happy we aren't feeling like Miami 10 years ago moving on from welker.

You never know when the next guy who can do this job is going to show up

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider fans are extremely disappointed. Just read their forum, LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

Great news, it was important to get Cobb re-signed. Now bring back Bulaga.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 mil a year. Thats only 1 mill more from what he was originally asking for?

Well, none of us really know what he was originally asking for and that's the hilarity of all the speculation, we heard anywhere from 8-13M. It's possible that his agent managed to inflate his value over the past couple weeks, but I would think if we could have had him for 4/36 three weeks ago, we would have.

To add even more speculation, my best guess is the reports that Cobb was willing to take 1-2M less here were true, and that he could have landed 11-12M a year in Oakland or whoever else the highest bidder was. In the end, he wisely decided that the 10-20% extra wasn't worth giving up the sure thing he has here.

Cobb obviously likes it here, and that's great, but he's also no dummy. Both him and his agent know that the perception of Randall Cobb as one of the games' premiere slot receivers in 4 years is a pretty safe bet with Aaron Rodgers throwing to him the next 4 years, and much more uncertain with a question mark like Carr or Bortles throwing to him.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I am stoked that TT doesn't have to negotiate with this clown for 4 more years.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phew, this is big. Congrats to Cobb and the Packers. Yeah, Cobb took less than he could have gotten , but still did very, very well, and gets to stay where he wants to be.
Excellent job by TT and staff. It speaks highly of an organization when it's best players will forego millions of dollars to stay with you.
Let's get Bulaga done now.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing. If Cobb goes to Oakland for an extra $2M a year or so, he could actually lose money in the long run. If things come apart in Oakland, maybe he's released before the end of the contract.
Maybe things go so poorly for him there that it costs him those extra millions and then some on his next contract.
But now, he's in a great situation, where he wants to be, and with a chance to break the bank on his next deal.
Sometimes, it's best to take less now with the long view in mind.
Besides, $10M a year is nothing to sneeze at.:)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is exactly what is supposed to happen. The "draft and develop" Packers take a portion of their $33M cap space and resign a 24 year-old Pro Bowl receiver.

Could not be happier to have Cobb for four more years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts