Peter King mentions in this round table discussion that Cobb will stay in GB

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I applaud your fanhood but you are one of the only people in the world that would turn down at least $15m for doing the exact same job in a different state.

Well then he better not say it's about winning championships when he signs elsewhere because it's crap. Jax isn't winning a damn thing anytime soon. I don't blame him, hell get paid son, life of a football player is short but be real about it and say it was ALL about the money

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, If Cobb signs with the Jags then we all know its all about the Money to him.
Aaron Kampman signed with the Jags for money we weren't willing to spend on him, and I don't think there's a soul in the world who judged him as being a greed bag for taking a deal that paid him substantively more than we were offering after playing for modest values with us for several years. It's not like Cobb is posting instagram shots of himself tossing dollar bills like Beyonce in the offseason. While I'd like him to stay and feel like paying him similarly to Jordy is a sound approach, I'm certainly in no position to assess what's in his best interest or the interests of the people he loves and supports...

D

Deleted member 6794

Aaron Kampman signed with the Jags for money we weren't willing to spend on him, and I don't think there's a soul in the world who judged him as being a greed bag for taking a deal that paid him substantively more than we were offering after playing for modest values with us for several years. It's not like Cobb is posting instagram shots of himself tossing dollar bills like Beyonce in the offseason. While I'd like him to stay and feel like paying him similarly to Jordy is a sound approach, I'm certainly in no position to assess what's in his best interest or the interests of the people he loves and supports...

A huge reason why Kampman left was because he didn't want to play in and wasn't a great fit for a 3-4.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well then he better not say it's about winning championships when he signs elsewhere because it's crap. Jax isn't winning a damn thing anytime soon. I don't blame him, hell get paid son, life of a football player is short but be real about it and say it was ALL about the money

Who exactly saw the Giants winning twice as many Super Bowls as the Packers have recently? Nobody can say what teams might do in the future. Nobody can say that the Jaguars will not contend for a title in four years because a lot can change.

Packers have been one of the better teams in the NFL and still haven't won a title in the past few years. That's not a shot at anyone on the team, just proof that going somewhere to "win titles" is no certainty. Players can say all they want about coming back to Green Bay to win a title but the reality is that Green Bay actually has a very slight chance to win it all; yeah, that slight chance is better than most, but it's still far more likely that the Packers don't win it all.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who exactly saw the Giants winning twice as many Super Bowls as the Packers have recently? Nobody can say what teams might do in the future. Nobody can say that the Jaguars will not contend for a title in four years because a lot can change.

Packers have been one of the better teams in the NFL and still haven't won a title in the past few years. That's not a shot at anyone on the team, just proof that going somewhere to "win titles" is no certainty. Players can say all they want about coming back to Green Bay to win a title but the reality is that Green Bay actually has a very slight chance to win it all; yeah, that slight chance is better than most, but it's still far more likely that the Packers don't win it all.

So you're telling me that the Jaguars will be in the SB in the next 4 years? I would bet everything I have that they won't.

Again, I don't blame him one bit for taking the money but don't tell me it's about winning championships if that's what ends up happening.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you're telling me that the Jaguars will be in the SB in the next 4 years? I would bet everything I have that they won't.

Again, I don't blame him one bit for taking the money but don't tell me it's about winning championships if that's what ends up happening.

The Seahawks were a combined 23-41 from 2008-11, did you see them making it to two consecutive Super Bowls in 2013 and '14 at that point???

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seahawks were a combined 23-41 from 2008-11, did you see them making it to two consecutive Super Bowls in 2013 and '14 at that point???

Yea you're right, fair point, and anything can happen but I'll take my chances here. I'm not privy to the Jaguars front office personell but I'm willing to bet it's not on par with Seattle's.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some of these receivers, and prospective teams, forget how much better AR makes these guys. Sure Cobb could still be successful elsewhere but i have to imagine his production drops with just about any other QB in the league. Not to mention that, as the prospective #1 WR on that team, he'll garner a lot more attention and double teams.

In the same breath, us Packers fans need to also remember how much better AR makes these guys and not feel terribly committed to them. Cobb has been a great player for us and by all reports a great teammate. I think what the Pack has offered him is reasonable but i wouldnt go any higher either.

If you look at the Superbowl winners for the past few years, none of them have had STUD receiving corps. Seems to me like it might be better to spend that money in a different place.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And play in front of a stadium that's 60% filled with Blake Bortles throwing you the ball? Nah I'll take the 2 time MVP and income taxes. But hey, just one man's opinion

And again, an opinion you might feel differently about if it was actually your life and future and wasn't just a fantasy scenario to us, and you actually had to consider a hundred other real life variables other than who the QB is and how good the team is.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And again, an opinion you might feel differently about if it was actually your life and future and wasn't just a fantasy scenario to us, and you actually had to consider a hundred other real life variables other than who the QB is and how good the team is.

And again, I don't blame him for doing it. Life as a football player is short, he knows that, his agent knows that but it's ALL about the money if he takes it and runs not winning championships.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I hear about this situation the more I suspect 18 will be playing elsewhere next season. From Randall's perspective I can fully understand wanting to maximize your earning potential given the inherent risk involved with football and the roll of the dice on every snap that it may just be your last. As I have stated many times I think RC is a special player and has game-changing ability but the question is, how much is that worth? 11-12M a year is way too much chili in my eyes and if that indeed is the number he is seeking than I would like to wish him well in JAX or OAK or wherever he goes. Having 20+M tied up between 2 receivers just doesn't make sense and when you look at the guys on the current roster as well as some pretty quality slot guys looking for work currently it makes even less sense. One of those guys looking for work is Harry Douglas formerly of the Falcons. While he isn't Cobb I think he still has plenty of gas left in the tank and could help soften the blow of losing 18 for what one would guess a reasonable figure. He is just one guy off the top of my head but the point is a guy like Douglas would probably run around, what $2-4M/year, leaving a bunch of jack to bring in other talent to help solidify the D. In a perfect world the Packers keep Cobb for a reasonable amount but we don't live in a perfect world. The simple truth is overpaying for a player isn't TT's style and I don't see him breaking that trend with RC. I am not giving up hope just yet but like I said the longer this goes on the more I believe we will be calling Randall a "former Packer" before too long. G P G!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you had a nice job in Wisconsin, but a competitor offered to pay you 33% over what your current employer was offering to move down to sunny Florida and pay no state income taxes, is this something that you might have to consider?

That would depend on how comfortable of a life I had with my current job. Moving to Florida would mean leaving behind my family and truth be told that means a lot to me. If I am struggling to get by and barely earning a living then yes it is something I would have to consider but if I was making 9 million a year I don't think I would leave for 12 if i was happy in my current job. I'm pretty sure I could do everything I wanted to do just as easily with 9 million as I could with 12.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would have to improve the TE position as well though to compensate for the loss of Cobb.

I think a lot of people automatically assume that whomever we have catching the ball will be able to make up for the loss of Cobb just because it is Aaron throwing it. An assumption I do not necessarily agree with but I hope to heck I am wrong about.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A huge reason why Kampman left was because he didn't want to play in and wasn't a great fit for a 3-4.
True that- he played a year for us in the 3-4 and he definitely wasn't elated. I also recall us not wanting to fork out nearly the coin Jacksonville was offering him. His exit wasn't about not liking Green Bay or being ungrateful or greedy- he got better money to play in a system he felt offered him a greater chance to excel. He had made his name as a 4-3 end for sure.

In Cobb's case, if a Jacksonville offers him 2.5 mil more per year than we do and he becomes their de facto no.1 receiver instead of having to be a complimentary piece behind Lacy and Nelson, is he really a greed bag? Despite the fact that few guys who shift out of a role like his ever pan out in a lead role, I understand his choice. I guess I'm just reticent to call a guy who leaves in free agency a money grubber just because he takes a better deal and moves up a notch on the depth chart.

My view is that Cobb is optimally effective as a compliment. Physically speaking, Antonio Brown in Pittsburgh is similar, but he's come up playing on the outside, even as a smaller guy. Cobb is better in motion, out of the backfield, moving around the formation. No.1's don't seem to get that treatment nearly as much, and I'd figure that would diminish his impact in a new setting. I think playing behind Nelson and Lacy makes him deadly. I think becoming the featured threat negates his strengths. Even Percy Harvin wasn't worth his mega deal, and he's as close to an analogous talent to Cobb as I can think of. Try getting Cobb to realize that though... Here's hoping!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way of knowing what will be going through Cobb's mind when the moment for a decision comes, but all in all, it's not sounding too good for him staying in Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to a Yahoo! report the Packers balked at paying Cobb $10 million per season and he´ll hit free agency.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to a Yahoo! report the Packers balked at paying Cobb $10 million per season and he´ll hit free agency.

Going by latest news, Raiders are ready with offer at 11m and possible Jaguars to match/beat that. But then, neither can get him into Playoff's.

I hope a combo of us offering him 10m and him wanting to play in post season with Rodgers swings it for us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Going by latest news, Raiders are ready with offer at 11m and possible Jaguars to match/beat that. But then, neither can get him into Playoff's.

I hope a combo of us offering him 10m and him wanting to play in post season with Rodgers swings it for us.

Well, according to the report the Packers don´t want to pay him $10 million per season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Due to income tax rates, the Packers could offer Cobb the same or a little less money than the Raiders, and Cobb would receive more money in Green Bay than Oakland.

http://www.jrn.com/wtmj/wi-sports/g...es-help-keep-Cobb-in-Green-Bay-295083041.html

With no income tax in Florida though, that's a plus for the Jaguars.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Cobb to field offers starting on Saturday after he's allowed. That will give the Packers his actual market value.

Then the Packers can match the offer.

Members online

Latest posts