Peter King mentions in this round table discussion that Cobb will stay in GB

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports; word, apparently from Cobb's camp, that he's take $1-2M less per year to stay in Green Bay.
I read that earlier im hoping of all the different stories out there, this is the correct one.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports; word, apparently from Cobb's camp, that he's take $1-2M less per year to stay in Green Bay.

Lets hope so.

In the end, if we do re-sign Cobb, its going to be for 10 million a year. I'd bet the farm on that figure.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here's the point to sell him on if he's on the fence. If we're offering $10M a year and Oakland is offering $12M a year, how much more is he going to be worth at the end of that contract if he stays with us? Cobb is still very young. If healthy and productive, this won't be the last big money contract of his career. How much more will he be worth when that happens if he has Aaron Rodgers throwing to him for the next 4-5 years than if he has Derek Carr throwing to him for the next 4-5 years? Not that he can't or won't be productive with Carr, but I'm willing to bet he's going to put up far better numbers with Rodgers and thus a lot more likely to be able to cash in again near the end of his career.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones sure as hell isn't freeing him up over the middle by drawing double coverage on the outside either. Cobb is the one getting double coverage in that situation. Jordy draws it for him here.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just ask Greg Jennings how quickly your career can die when you don't have an elite QB throwing to you. I know he was quite a bit older than Cobb when he signed, but he's still young enough where he would still be a big part of our offense yet if he had stayed here. Instead, he may only see the first 2 years of his contact and basically gave himself 2 years/$18M as a big FA with the Vikings by going there. There's already talk of him getting cut or taking a big paycut.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read this as well but why in the hell would he put that out there? That is his agent dealing in BS again just like he did with clifton. He is going to create a false offer from a mystery team that is 1-2 mil above what he thinks he should get paid. I hope TT doesn't budge. Sexton thinks he has boras power.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points all.
I think there's more for a guy like Cobb to consider as opposed to an older WR looking for one more big payday. If Cobb can stay healthy and productive- and the productive part would be all but assured with Rodgers as his QB- then he'd be looking at yet another big contract after this one.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that 15 mil TT rolled over from last year is killing him right now with agents. From their perspective that means he is either waiting for a specific free agent to spend on this year or he is cheap. They want to see him use most of what he has available to him and not let 10 percent of the cap sit on the table.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that 15 mil TT rolled over from last year is killing him right now with agents. From their perspective that means he is either waiting for a specific free agent to spend on this year or he is cheap. They want to see him use most of what he has available to him and not let 10 percent of the cap sit on the table.

It's very common under the new CBA for GM's to roll a few million in cap over from year to year, and he only rolled $7.8M over to this year, not $15M. Numerous teams rolled over more. The Jaguars rolled about $25M over. It's not an agent's business how much cap TT chooses to roll over and they're not going to make lighter demands for their client if a team is tight against the cap than if they have cap room carried over.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he didn't come free, or even cheap, but we kept him. Say hello to a Nelson, Cobb, Adams nucleus at WR for the forseeable future. All great weapons for the bad, bad man that is Aaron Rodgers.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
10 mil a year. Thats only 1 mill more from what he was originally asking for?

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Knew TT would get it done. Glad we got #18 for the foreseeable future. If the o-line remains solid with or without Bulaga and Davante Adams and Richard Rodgers can make some progressions next year the Offense will be so scary.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 years. 40 mil. 17 guaranteed. Supposedly had 7 other offers. I have a strong feeling that he told his agent enough is enough and to sign the deal. Sexton would have had him in Jax for 5 yrs 60 and then cut in 3 years because he fell off the face of the earth. Go Cobb!!!!! Welcome Back.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love it. Imagine how crappy it would have been for Cobb to leave and play for a team like the Queens. I was not a sanguine camper thinking about Boykin taking over for Cobb. Cobb made the right decision!!

Members online