Peter King mentions in this round table discussion that Cobb will stay in GB

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Great news. While his deal averages more than Jordy's I don't think it will cause any problem at all in the locker room. Wilde's article linked in the other Cobb thread talks about that. Interesting that it's a four year deal - Cobb will be 28 in the last year of the deal and if healthy and if still productive he'll be able to cash in again.

The jsonline article talks about whether or not Cobb got an offer of $12M/year and if his willingness to give the Packers a discount affected the offers he received. Whether he did or not, I don't have any question that he received offers of more money - and more guaranteed money - than the Packers offered. So IMO it's very likely he gave the Packers a 'home town discount' - good for him. In the short-run it probably cost him some money. But IMO not in the long-run.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing. If Cobb goes to Oakland for an extra $2M a year or so, he could actually lose money in the long run. If things come apart in Oakland, maybe he's released before the end of the contract.
Maybe things go so poorly for him there that it costs him those extra millions and then some on his next contract.
But now, he's in a great situation, where he wants to be, and with a chance to break the bank on his next deal.
Sometimes, it's best to take less now with the long view in mind.
Besides, $10M a year is nothing to sneeze at.:)

It isn't your post so much that is the catalyst for my response DNA it just reminded of a few things I have read elsewhere that have been bothering me

I'm not sure why everyone automatically assumes a 12 million dollar a year contract anywhere else would mean he would be cut 2 years into the deal. I've seen more than one post along the lines of "what good is a 12 million dollar a year deal if you are going to be cut 2 years into it. If we are speaking of the Raiders or Jaguars they have lots of cap space this year and I would assume in the future as well. They have no big name contracts due that I am aware of and they won't since most people expect Carr and Bortles, and pretty much anyone else they sign or draft, to suck and never command a big salary. They could easily fit 12 million under the cap. Especially if the cap keeps going up as we expect it to and that money is going to their best player. Oh that's right these guys are only good in Green Bay.

You did say maybe and you are right, maybe that could happen but it could happen in GB too. I don't think this is going to happen but we are playing the maybe game aren't we.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points,sschind. Not what I was getting at, but many times you find that guys never see the end of a big contract. With the situation in Oakland for example being so uncertain from an organizational standpoint, it would be a possibility there.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers have a great argument when negotiating with free-agent receivers: "Please see Greg Jennings. He was on his way to an arguable Hall of Fame career until Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel, Josh Freeman and Teddy Bridgewater began throwing passes to him."

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is also a great case study because it shows TT doesn't screw around. Once big time greg decided TT's nice in season offer was too low for him TT pulled it and offered him way less in the off season. He ended up signing with the Vikings for less than that offer TT originally gave him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wasn't it more guaranteed money though with MN's offer? I thought it was, and looking back, I think Greg wanted to be "the man" and he wasn't going to be that in GB. He'd be a guy, albeit a big name guy, that "the man" was throwing the ball to. I didn't have that impression of Jennings until everything happened when he left, but that changed my perception.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fantastic news! This just made my day and knowing we have 12, 18 and 87 through 2018 let's me breathe easier. Hats off to Randall for not chasing extra bread and TT for offering him a fair deal. Draft and develop only works if you take care of your key pieces and needless to say RC is certainly that. This Packer fan is all smiles. G P G!!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If the Dolphins didn't offer more guaranteed money, back-loading the contract is meaningless.

Not that any of us have to be sold on Cobb’s staying in Green Bay, but someone on the NFL network mentioned this morning that targeting Cobb resulted in the highest QB rating of any player in the league last season.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was watching the Sunday morning news, eating my breakfast, when one of those trailers scrolled across the bottom of the screen.

"Randall Cobb signs 4 year, $40M deal with Packers".

I thought for sure it was going to say Patriots, or Panthers, or Pittsburgh, anything but "Packers".

I was so freaking relieved I almost blubbered.

I don't typically get "emotional" about the Packers but I wanted to keep this guy. Keep our team together.

Just SO freaking relieved.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I've quoted Michael Rodney's PackerUpdate site on occasion because I think he has interesting takes on issues. This is what he wrote in July of last year on what kind of contract Cobb would likely be signing:
That’s why I think Cobb will command more money than Nelson, who turned 29 in May. How much more? Based on contracts given to receivers of a similar age and ability, I’ll project $41 million for four years, including around $16 million guaranteed.
http://packerupdate.net/?p=34349

Subtract a million from the first figure and add a million to the second and you have Cobb's reported deal. That's a damn good guess.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good signing. 10 mil is a little high, but not outrageous, and leaves room to sign a few more. I think we're set at WR for 2015.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ThxJackVainisi; packerupdate is an excellent site. Very underrated. Glad you gave them a shout.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cobb's salary cap numbers:

$5.35 million in 2015, $9.15 million in 2016 and $12.75 million in both 2017 and '18.

Cobb received a$13 million signing bonus and is due a $3.5 million roster bonus in March 2016.

Oregon Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the limited number of years a player can play, it makes sense for someone like Cobb to sign for the highest amount of money that they can get. I know we would all like a raise. However, you also need to consider that a receiver might get more money somewhere like Oakland, but never make it to the end of their contract and get less in the long term.

Either way, I was happy to see Cobb back.

H

HardRightEdge

$5.35 million in 2015, $9.15 million in 2016 and $12.75 million in both 2017 and '18.

Cobb received a$13 million signing bonus and is due a $3.5 million roster bonus in March 2016.
Only the $13 mil signing bonus is guaranteed, but the dead cap number in year 2 is a tacit guarantee of that second year.

http://overthecap.com/player/randall-cobb/1130/

This so-called "cap friendly" deal makes room for a vet ILB or NT.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is why I'm not overly concerned with 'Oh My God, $10M a year is insane!!!' It's all about how it's structured. And consider that from '16 to '18, the cap will go up at least $15M and likely well over $20M.