Peter King mentions in this round table discussion that Cobb will stay in GB

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Cobb to field offers starting on Saturday after he's allowed. That will give the Packers his actual market value.

Then the Packers can match the offer.

Technically, we'd only have the right to do so if we had put the transition tag on Cobb.
In theory, you'd hope that Cobb's camp would come to us in good faith and say, 'here's our offers, what can you do?' but they aren't obligated to.

I think it's unlikely anyway, if the 11M-13M reports are true, that TT strays that far away from his price point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Cobb really wants to leave, they'd be silly not to use that time between Sat and Tuesday to come back to the Packers and tell them what they're getting elsewhere. Maybe it ups the Packer's offer, maybe not, but I gotta believe they'd give the Packers a chance to sweeten their deal. I do think Cobb would prefer to stay here if the money is right. But if there are offers of 11-13 million? I'm glad he was here, but I'll be cheering someone else on next year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers are balking at 10 million per year it would stand to reason that 10 million per year has come up in some conversation between the two sides. If the Packers don't want top pay 10 million I doubt if they are the ones who brought the number up. This tells me it was Cobb's side who broached the 10 million per year number. Unless some reporter pulled the 10 million number out of his behind, which wouldn't surprise me, I would have to think its a reasonable figure in the negotiations. Cobb wants that much and the Packers, foolishly IMO, don't want to pay that much.

So the rumors have been anywhere between 8 and 12 which ones do you believe?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to a Yahoo! report the Packers balked at paying Cobb $10 million per season and he´ll hit free agency.

It would appear if the report is true that Cobb's #1 priority is maximizing the dollar amount, and that he's likely gone, most likely to Oakland or Jacksonville.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't Randall Cobb the prime example of a "draft and develop player" who fits the Packers whole philosophy? It would make sense for GB to sign a 24 year-old receiver who is in his prime and helps Rodgers escape from broken plays. I think he's a must resign.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Antonio Freeman, Javon Walker, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Bill Schroeder.
Packer WR's that left and were never heard from again basically.

Driver, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Brooks, Freeman, Jennings, Jones, Packer receivers that became studs with a great QB tossing the ball to them. That's off the top of a fading memory.

I certainly do not begrudge Cobb taking the money, he already has suffered an injury. But I would not overpay for him, since we all have seen in just the last few years how it turns out when you leave the best QB for the money. You get better financial security... until your time to retire hits.

Yet DD was able to turn his career into a bit of fame by playing with two of the all time greats into a stint of dancing to continue his fame.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob Demovsky: "The case for letting him walk: There really isn't one, even if Cobb's asking price is as high as $11 million-$12 million per year, as some reports have suggested. The Packers have plenty of salary-cap space (more than $33 million), and it would be foolish to let a young, homegrown player who was drafted in the second round leave this early in his career. Without Cobb, the only proven veteran receiver the Packers would have on the roster is Nelson. Davante Adamsshowed signs during his rookie season last year that he could be the next highly productive receiver in the Packers' offense, but he may not be ready to make that jump right away and there's no guarantee he will have two 80-plus-catch seasons like Cobb did in his first four years.

Prediction: The Packers won't let Cobb go even though it could cost them more than $10 million per season to keep him. They will get a deal done shortly before free agency opens."

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most of us agree on one thing. We all absolutely want Cobb back at the right price. The argument comes down to what does each of us think is the right price? We see everyone going back and forth saying we should sign him or we shouldn't sign him with everyone thinking we are on opposite sides of the fence when in reality we are on the same side of the fence but some of us are much closer to it than others. I see comments like "we should let him walk if he wants too much" or "if someone offers him a ton of money let him go" and I know the people making these comments don't really want to see him go they are just concerned about how much it would take to keep him and what that would do to the cap. I also see things like "he is a must sign" or we need to sign him no matter what" and something tells me most of these people would agree that there is a price that is too high.

My question is what is too high in your opinion. I've seen numbers everywhere from 8 million to 12 million regarding what he could expect to get or from 9 million to 12 million as to what he wants and I've seen numbers from 8 million to less than 10 million as far as what the Packers are willing to pay.

So, ignoring all the rumors and scuttlebutt about this or that number what do you think would be a fair price to pay for Cobb that he would possibly sign for and what do you think would be a safe number for the Packers to be able to sign him and still not mess up the cap. I think that number is right around 10 million I'd be willing to go maybe 10.2 on the Packers side and I thing Cobb might be willing to settle for as low as 9.8 depending on the other details of the deal (Length, Guarantee amount etc)

The bottom line for me is that you need to keep the integrity of your cap in place. You can not skew it too much in favor of one or two or three players. You set a value on a player and for the most part you stick to it. However, I think certain players, and Cobb fits that bill to me, are worth going a bit over. Not significantly but a bit. IMO an extra million a year will not kill any chance the Packers have of signing anyone else they want to either keep this year or hamper their ability to sign new players this year or in years to come.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think most of us agree on one thing. We all absolutely want Cobb back at the right price. The argument comes down to what does each of us think is the right price? We see everyone going back and forth saying we should sign him or we shouldn't sign him with everyone thinking we are on opposite sides of the fence when in reality we are on the same side of the fence but some of us are much closer to it than others. I see comments like "we should let him walk if he wants too much" or "if someone offers him a ton of money let him go" and I know the people making these comments don't really want to see him go they are just concerned about how much it would take to keep him and what that would do to the cap. I also see things like "he is a must sign" or we need to sign him no matter what" and something tells me most of these people would agree that there is a price that is too high.

My question is what is too high in your opinion. I've seen numbers everywhere from 8 million to 12 million regarding what he could expect to get or from 9 million to 12 million as to what he wants and I've seen numbers from 8 million to less than 10 million as far as what the Packers are willing to pay.

So, ignoring all the rumors and scuttlebutt about this or that number what do you think would be a fair price to pay for Cobb that he would possibly sign for and what do you think would be a safe number for the Packers to be able to sign him and still not mess up the cap. I think that number is right around 10 million I'd be willing to go maybe 10.2 on the Packers side and I thing Cobb might be willing to settle for as low as 9.8 depending on the other details of the deal (Length, Guarantee amount etc)

The bottom line for me is that you need to keep the integrity of your cap in place. You can not skew it too much in favor of one or two or three players. You set a value on a player and for the most part you stick to it. However, I think certain players, and Cobb fits that bill to me, are worth going a bit over. Not significantly but a bit. IMO an extra million a year will not kill any chance the Packers have of signing anyone else they want to either keep this year or hamper their ability to sign new players this year or in years to come.

I would be fine with the Packers offering Cobb a contract worth $9.5 million per season. That would be slightly less than the extension Nelson signed before last season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 or 9, i'm fine with. 10 is a pretty fuzzy line, depends on what they have in store for offensive changes, the guys development behind him, stuff that fans just aren't privy to. 11 or 12+, I think he can go wherever else he'd like

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Give him the most guaranteed $

9 mill per and guaranteed 20 mill with pack

Or 12 mill per but only 15 guaranteed with team X

That is something he might do

D

Deleted member 6794

I still want Jacoby Jones. He is cheap, no draft pick attached to signing him and he can return kicks with the best of them.

Jacoby Jones signed with the Chargers for two years, deal is worth up to $5.5 million.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob Demovsky: "The case for letting him walk: There really isn't one, even if Cobb's asking price is as high as $11 million-$12 million per year, as some reports have suggested. The Packers have plenty of salary-cap space (more than $33 million), and it would be foolish to let a young, homegrown player who was drafted in the second round leave this early in his career. Without Cobb, the only proven veteran receiver the Packers would have on the roster is Nelson. Davante Adamsshowed signs during his rookie season last year that he could be the next highly productive receiver in the Packers' offense, but he may not be ready to make that jump right away and there's no guarantee he will have two 80-plus-catch seasons like Cobb did in his first four years.

Prediction: The Packers won't let Cobb go even though it could cost them more than $10 million per season to keep him. They will get a deal done shortly before free agency opens."

If they were essentially willing to pay him whatever he wants (11M? 12M) per year to keep him from hitting free agency as Demovsky seems to suggest they should, they would have tagged him.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they were essentially willing to pay him whatever he wants (11M? 12M) per year to keep him from hitting free agency as Demovsky seems to suggest they should, they would have tagged him.

There are other reasons to not use the franchise tag. First of all the players don't like it and there's no guarantee a long term contract can be worked out afterwards. In addition it's possible the Packers hope no team will offer Cobb what he's looking for and will accept a lower offer from the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

After trading for Brandon Marshall the Jets are expected to release Percy Harvin which could possibly soften the market for Cobb.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hes exactly right. There honestly isn't a good reason to just "Let him walk"

Hes young....hes good....Rodgers likes him.....

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$$$$

The one and only reason.

Yep, and while that is true, we have plenty of cap space to sign him. We need to just bite the bullet and offer him 10mil/year....if he doesn't accept that, then bye.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go up to 10 million on Cobb....but that's it.
I think 9 is the most he is worth. He is not better than Nelson, and should not be paid more. I think the money could be used on other stuff rather than all on cobb. but thats my opinion :)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts