Peter King mentions in this round table discussion that Cobb will stay in GB

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Cobb is a damn good WR, I don't think hes a #1 WR at this point. Hes a damn good #2 and slot WR though. So this makes me curious if a team will offer a WR like that #1 WR money or not. It would be an example of overpaying at its finest if some team offers Cobb 10+ million a year.

I think with Cobb and the type of player that he is, hes worth about 8-9 million a year max.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you go back to 2008 I'm not sure what two years of great WR drafts are you referring to? 2006 we got Jennings, 2007 nothing, 2008 we got Nelson 2009 nothing. 2010 nothing, 2011 we got Cobb 2012 nothing, 2013 nothing, 2014 Adams looks decent. In 9 drafts we got 3 big hits a probable and a couple of potentials.
I can see why you misunderstood my post, i worded it poorly. I meant that the last two drafts had a lot of quality WR talent come out and I expect a bunch of quality WRs coming out of the draft again this year. Therefore, with many WRs flooding the market in the last few years, demand will be less than normal

Sky King

Reaction score
At 25 Cobb likely has one more lucrative contract to go, or at least he'll want to put himself in position for that to happen if he's looking carefully at his personal big picture. He'll be young enough to cash in again if he puts up similar numbers to last season or close to them over the next 3-4 seasons, the likely duration of his impending contract. If he signs for a longer period of time he risks his next contract negotiations to occur when he's 30 or older. Bad timing. That's getting up there for some WRs and GMs, and the current college game is ideal for developing less-raw WR talent. Cash in big twice? It's possible for Cobb, perhaps. Elite players can and have done that if they're truly elite.

For Cobb to enjoy sustained professional and financial success it is also essential "The Man" be at QB, or darn close to him, for any contending team he signs with. Distill that down even further to include teams with "The Man" also being young enough for Cobb to benefit by remaining relevant for the next 3-4 years. Should he take a chance on signing with a team with an up-and-coming QB? Well, there's no guarantee any young QB will ever become "The Man" so he will be taking a big chance if he goes that route. Great QBs can make a receiver look great but the other way around not so much.

Brady and Manning, for example, are too old to offer Cobb more than a year or two of helping him to remain a consistent, relevant star at WR. As of today, how many teams and their QBs would truly qualify as a sure thing for Cobb's best case scenario? I can think of one. Will Cobb opt for the best short-term deal with the highest guaranteed sum for the immediate future, ala Greg Jennings? Will Cobb roll those dice or does he have more thoughtful and ambitious plan for playing longer and earning more in a more promising, longer lasting productive situation?

Distill it down even further. This is a draft that allegedly has several potential stars at WR. That's plural. A team needing a WR not only has numerous choices to fill their gaps but they can also get that WR through the draft who will be more cap-friendly over the next 3-4 years. And, they would not have Cobb's signing affecting their draft formula for receiving compensatory picks next year should that be a factor. For them, Cobb may represent a luxury more than a necessity thanks to the availability of young talent through the immediate draft. The rookie learning curve for a draftee may be worth enduring in order to stay healthy enough cap-wise to secure other needed championship puzzle pieces. Nobody has it all and everybody needs something. The problem is, nobody can afford everything. Pay a slot receiver $12 million when you may get the whole WR package for less through the draft? Sacrifice other needed players to attain just one guy? He better be special.

This is not a rap on Cobb nor an argument against signing him. I think he's terrific and a definite keeper, but only at the right price for both Cobb and the Packers. Cobb is not enjoying all the leverage in this situation. A talented WR in the draft any Cobb-signing-team passes on drafting causes a domino effect of making one more talented receiver available for somebody else to pick-up via the draft, maybe even the Packers. If Cobb wants too much money -- higher than the more versatile Jordy Nelson receives -- then it may be wise for the Packers to move-0n. They'll survive just as they did when Cobb was injured. They did not draft Adams, Abbrederis and Janis because Thompson is short-sighted and impulsive. He must have been preparing for something to have drafted so many in one year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see why you misunderstood my post, i worded it poorly. I meant that the last two drafts had a lot of quality WR talent come out and I expect a bunch of quality WRs coming out of the draft again this year. Therefore, with many WRs flooding the market in the last few years, demand will be less than normal

Thanks for clarifying. I agree, Last year's rookie WR class was the best I can ever recall some people are saying there could be 4-5 WRs in the first round again this year. Demand may be less than normal and that might help keep Cobbs price down. I sure hope that is the case and we can keep Randall rather than having to rely on one of these rookies regardless of their potential.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will take a small step backwards next year over being in cap hell the next 4-5 years because of a ridiculous contract to Cobb.

I don't think Cobb will ever have as good of a season as he did last year. That was the perfect situation for him to succeed and he did. He had Jordy drawing corner and safety coverage on many plays allowing him soft zones and single coverage. He also had an MVP Qb throwing to him. He was also healthy all year. I just think we saw his ceiling. It was a great ceiling but still not worth 12.

Re-signing Cobb won´t put the Packers in cap hell. In addition I really don´t think Cobb has already reached his ceiling as he´s only 24 years old.

Brady has one highly paid receiving weapon. Brees has only one. Luck has only one. Manning didn't actually have any but DT will soon change that. The common feature is that all great quarterbacks can make mediocre receivers good and good receivers great. Packers have one great receiver in Nelson and Adams looks like he could also be great next year.

Look at the slot receivers in the NFL. There's not many terrific ones. NFL teams don't pay slot receivers highly because they don't have a huge impact. It shouldn't be difficult for a team with Rodgers at QB and Nelson/Adams at receiver to find an average to good slot receiver.

Once again all of these teams you mentioned spent more cap space on WRs and TEs last season than the Packers did. There aren´t a lot of decent slot receivers available in free agency and it takes some time to develop a draft pick within the Packers offense.

I'm just going to throw it out there because there's reports he's looking to be traded or cut but Andre Johnson?

I know he doesn't fill the Cobb/slot role but he has put up pretty gaudy numbers over his career with no QB throughout his entire career. At his current salary absolutely no way I want him but if he wants to come and play for a championship contender and one of the best QB's in the league I'd consider looking at him.

That would be a very Peppersesque move for this offseason

Andre Johnson will be 34 years old once the 2015 season starts. The Packers should look to bring in a slot receiver if Cobb walks away in free agency and Johnson doens´t fit that specific need at all.

I guess it would depend on how well they think Adams could produce in the slot, because I think he'd see a lot of snaps there.

I really don´t think Adams is a great fit to play in the slot.

I still want Jacoby Jones. He is cheap, no draft pick attached to signing him and he can return kicks with the best of them.

Jacoby Jones isn´t a productive slot receiver. He won´t get a lot of snaps outside with Nelson and Adams around and Thompson doesn´t sign special teams players only, especially with McCarthy´s promise to play more starters on ST.

If we lose Cobb, I hope we sign Julius Thomas.

You really have no idea about how Thompson runs the Packers and will be disappointed by the lack of high profile free agents the Packers will sign.

Jimbo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I kinda new(ish) to all this FA stuff, I can't understand how you'd let Cobb walk? He showed up last year & proved how good he is. How is he not worth the money he's supposedly asking for?

I've read a lot of the same kind of comment "Let him walk, we've got Adams, Janis etc" "We'll draft a WR as its a deep class" but there's no guarantee that any of that will work out. Surely Cobb is proven & should be given a long contract to carry on his work in GB catching balls from AR.

Maybe I am struggling to understand as if this was one of our football (Soccer) players in the UK their team would reward them with a big deal/contract as they've earnt it & the team can't afford to let them walk. Also in the UK/Europe a top player would not join a struggling team (Jags, Raiders) just for the money so I find it hard to believe that for an extra 500k/1 Mill a year RC would rather be trying to read Bortles or Carr?

Just trying to get it clear in my head tbh, but like I say I am still learning the ropes!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Hey, I kinda new(ish) to all this FA stuff, I can't understand how you'd let Cobb walk? He showed up last year & proved how good he is. How is he not worth the money he's supposedly asking for?

I've read a lot of the same kind of comment "Let him walk, we've got Adams, Janis etc" "We'll draft a WR as its a deep class" but there's no guarantee that any of that will work out. Surely Cobb is proven & should be given a long contract to carry on his work in GB catching balls from AR.

Maybe I am struggling to understand as if this was one of our football (Soccer) players in the UK their team would reward them with a big deal/contract as they've earnt it & the team can't afford to let them walk. Also in the UK/Europe a top player would not join a struggling team (Jags, Raiders) just for the money so I find it hard to believe that for an extra 500k/1 Mill a year RC would rather be trying to read Bortles or Carr?

Just trying to get it clear in my head tbh, but like I say I am still learning the ropes!!

In comparison to European leagues there´s a hard salary cap in place in the NFL. Teams that manage the cap pretty well, like the Packers, will assign a certain amount of money they want to pay to a specific player and won´t offer them significantly more than that as it would either keep them from improving other positions of need or result in problems with staying under the cap in future seasons.

According to rumors the Packers are offering Cobb around $9 million per season while it seems he´s asking for $12 million per season. IMO if he´s really asking for that kind of money it´s better for the Packers to let him test free agency and if another team offers him a contract like that let him walk.

Jimbo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In comparison to European leagues there´s a hard salary cap in place in the NFL. Teams that manage the cap pretty well, like the Packers, will assign a certain amount of money they want to pay to a specific player and won´t offer them significantly more than that as it would either keep them from improving other positions of need or result in problems with staying under the cap in future seasons.

According to rumors the Packers are offering Cobb around $9 million per season while it seems he´s asking for $12 million per season. IMO if he´s really asking for that kind of money it´s better for the Packers to let him test free agency and if another team offers him a contract like that let him walk.
Thanks.

But is his production/numbers not worth paying for?

Keeping room within the salary cap is all well & good but do you not want to keep good players & try & win? isn't that essentially the main objective?

Sorry if I am not making sense but just trying to get my head around this situation.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks.

Keeping room within the salary cap is all well & good but do you not want to keep good players & try & win? isn't that essentially the main objective?

Sorry if I am not making sense but just trying to get my head around this situation.

Certainly you want to keep good players. You also always want to keep the big picture in mind and not spend 12-13M per year on a player you feel is worth 8-9M per year. That's a bad precedent to establish.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks.

Of course teams want to keep productive players around but not at all costs.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, If Cobb signs with the Jags then we all know its all about the Money to him.

If you had a nice job in Wisconsin, but a competitor offered to pay you 33% over what your current employer was offering to move down to sunny Florida and pay no state income taxes, is this something that you might have to consider?

Jimbo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you had a nice job in Wisconsin, but a competitor offered to pay you 33% over what your current employer was offering to move down to sunny Florida and pay no state income taxes, is this something that you might have to consider?

I'm not sure you can really liken a sports career to a normal career but I see your point. Although I'd rather live in Cali ;)

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And play in front of a stadium that's 60% filled with Blake Bortles throwing you the ball? Nah I'll take the 2 time MVP and income taxes. But hey, just one man's opinion

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ace, I really hope you are wrong on this one. But, money may trump everything again.

Hey, I hope I am too, I really do. But I'm not paying him $11-12M per year and he's going to get it.

There's too much smoke around him right now for there not to be a fire somewhere. I wonder if the news about Maclin and Philly not being close on a deal and him possibly hitting the market helps our chances of getting Cobb back? Without Maclin on the market Cobb is by far and away the best WR available, IMO Torrey Smith is not in the same category.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good article. If the Packers' tight end becomes productive it makes the slot receiver less important as well. Cobb is making a huge mistake if he takes the money now instead of catching passes from the best QB in the league, imo.

The Packers would have to improve the TE position as well though to compensate for the loss of Cobb.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I hope I am too, I really do. But I'm not paying him $11-12M per year and he's going to get it.

There's too much smoke around him right now for there not to be a fire somewhere. I wonder if the news about Maclin and Philly not being close on a deal and him possibly hitting the market helps our chances of getting Cobb back? Without Maclin on the market Cobb is by far and away the best WR available, IMO Torrey Smith is not in the same category.
With Cobb's remark of, "Don't believe everything you read" - - gives me a sliver of hope. But it definitely does look like Oakland is ready to pounce.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And play in front of a stadium that's 60% filled with Blake Bortles throwing you the ball? Nah I'll take the 2 time MVP and income taxes. But hey, just one man's opinion

I applaud your fanhood but you are one of the only people in the world that would turn down at least $15m for doing the exact same job in a different state.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would have to improve the TE position as well though to compensate for the loss of Cobb.

Would they? Adams, Nelson and Janis improving or finding an Emmanuel Sanders-like receiver would leave this offense with plenty of firepower. In 2011 the Packers fielded an outstanding offense and the team only had one 1,000 yard receiver. 2011 team had more depth at receiver but it's not like they were fielding a ton of All-Pros out there. Also, this Packers team has a MUCH better running game than the 2011 team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would they? Adams, Nelson and Janis improving or finding an Emmanuel Sanders-like receiver would leave this offense with plenty of firepower. In 2011 the Packers fielded an outstanding offense and the team only had one 1,000 yard receiver. 2011 team had more depth at receiver but it's not like they were fielding a ton of All-Pros out there. Also, this Packers team has a MUCH better running game than the 2011 team.

The Packers would have one proven receiving threat on the roster if Cobb walks away in free agency. While it's possible some second year players make major improvements I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the season solely relying on it.