Perceptions of the "Dominate NFC East".

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Detroit had won every game they lost to the East teams the last 5 years, the North would be 3 games behind of the East in wins. That's how close it really is.

One team can bring down a whole division, and Detroit has really done that in the North the last 15 years.
That I don't agree with.

Because the same way they bring down, they play the division twice, so it ends up balancing.

If there's a stat that shows they were more competitive intra-division than inter-division, then it's another discussion. If not, that case can't be made IMHO.

OP
OP
Raptorman

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
That I don't agree with.

Because the same way they bring down, they play the division twice, so it ends up balancing.

If there's a stat that shows they were more competitive intra-division than inter-division, then it's another discussion. If not, that case can't be made IMHO.
Detroit has been terrible in and out of the division. The Division wins would not change anything. What they did out of the division would make the difference. For example, out of the division the Lions are 26-64 since 2002. In the last 5 years they are 13-37 out of the division. BTW, they are actually better out of the division than in it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That I don't agree with.

The games in division really don't matter since every year for every division there are 12 wins and 12 losses (ignoring ties.) One team getting pasted every year will draw down the entire division over time.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I agree with the position that wins during the regular season play a huge role in public and media perception of East dominance. Playoff/SB wins, though vastly more important, play a smaller role in crafting this image.

The main reason for this general perception, imo, is the fact that the season is 17 weeks long versus the 5 week playoff "season". If a team does well all season long, there will be far more written about them, more cover stories, more interviews and hype simply because there is more bandwidth and time elapsed. Fans can look at a schedule, spot the dominant opposing team weeks away and start to mentally prepare. Stress over that length of time leave a mark!

Who hasn't already circled the NY Giants in the Meadowlands as a key non-div game for next year?

When I think back to 2007 season, it was the Patriots who were the dominant team. Not the Giants, despite the SB victory. That label came from their 16-0 season. Not from the short playoff bracket where they ran into a team that was "peaking".

Just my two cents.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good point you guys are making regarding intra-division wins and losses. I hadn't thought that through.

But, while it doesn't affect wins and losses for the division, it does affect teams' record. So instead of a 12-4 team, the Bears would be a 10-6 or 11-5 team, and would lose the #2 seed, which would make them go through a harder playoff game than Seattle at home, which would hinder their chances of making to the NFCC game...

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to take into consideration what is the strongest/most competitive division rather than which division has the best team which takes the Lombardi home. The East hasn't had a top team for the last couple of years but the division is arguably the closest in regards to wins for each team once the season is closing out. I agree they field the best division in the NFC. I personally think the NFC South gets that award next season but for the last couple of years the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles have had 3 way battles for their crown. I mean think about it, NFC West sucks except when Warner was there for a while but no other team to challenge them, NFC North is honestly weak aside from us but that might change next season, and Panthers/Bucs haven't been a force last couple of years disregarding the 2010 Bucs.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the North could begin to get a whole lot stronger, starting next season. The Lions are building a strong roster with a scary-talented D-line. If Matthew Stafford can stay healthy, that's huge. He's got big time talent. There are a lot of guys on that roster with big-time talent. And now they've got a fantastic HC to hold it and mold it together.

Minnesota will likely face an uncharacteristically down year, but they had to know that was coming after (if!) Brett quits. Still, I think Frazier is also going to be a fantastic HC, so they might surprise too.

And the Bears. Well... the Bears still suck.

Members online

Latest posts