Pats studs n duds

Reaction score
You have a strong game against Tampa then when you know you have a 3rd string QB you should be able to stuff the box and stop the run. Barry has to dial down these opponents.
I agree. However to be accurate Barry didn’t know Hoyer would go down early in. However I agree you need to be more aggressive attacking Zappe, in the mold of what K.C. Did to Love. Come with the kitchen sink
Amos & Savage - Savage has been disappointing for a while now but Amos has looked more like Damarious Randall than himself out there so far this season
I see what you are saying. It’s actually accurate as So far globally Amos is underperforming in the passing game. However his role has been modified and we’ve seen more of him playing closer to LOS. I also wonder if several big plays were attributed to him that were the result of CB substitutions (group failure)

I’m not sure if you guys noticed but Savage had a terrific TFL and completely blew up a screen. I’ve been harping on us to use him more aggressively in attacking style. I remember he did some of that in College film and used his speed to disrupt like a heat sealing missile. Maybe Barry is recognizing it’s a relative strength? Hopefully.
I noticed in college Darnel will not always make the full stop like he did perfectly on Sunday, but he’s all over the ball carrier and it slows the play down for others too rally. I had to replay that Savage TFL 3X because it looked so good.. I couldn’t believe my eyes. He was playing Big for a small guy. I think we need to s ask most force him by play design to play attack style in certain packages where he can display His exceptional speed. That blur coming in hard past LOS is Savage
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think MLF has much to do with the defensive calls and lets Barry do his thing. I did hear in an interview that he wants to talk over what happened, which he would do regardless, and see if changes can be made. He also said they need some toughness. Point is, he is much more involved in offense than defense.
Good point. MLF calls the offense and Barry calls the defense. So it's really Barry's responsibility to implement the overall game plan and make adjustments as necessary during the game.

For whatever reason, and specifically with the run game, this isn't happening. It's weird, because I think the Packers have the talent. As a Monday morning coach, I'd drop a safety, load the box, and use Slaton instead of Lowry. Maybe that's being done and the players aren't executing.

It's a puzzle, and one they better fix starting Sunday in London.

Reaction score
Good point. MLF calls the offense and Barry calls the defense. So it's really Barry's responsibility to implement the overall game plan and make adjustments as necessary during the game.

For whatever reason, and specifically with the run game, this isn't happening. It's weird, because I think the Packers have the talent. As a Monday morning coach, I'd drop a safety, load the box, and use Slaton instead of Lowry. Maybe that's being done and the players aren't executing.

It's a puzzle, and one they better fix starting Sunday in London.
We’re not alone. Matt eluded to making Defensive adjustments quicker in situations like this when asked about it and it seemed he was already aware of this problem. He’s still the HC and thus he’s fully responsible and accountable for all 3 phases and Joe Barry likely wouldn’t be here without Matt’s thumbs up, so these guys are workmates but also good friends. This will be addressed imo.

That said, I did notice weve been starting to use our Safeties in blitz packages and run support and in small samples quite effectively, just not often enough imo.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I think Barry thought that 3rd stringer at QB, would be a pretty easy win. I will be happy if they ever learn to go for the throat.

Tackling wasn't great, guys coming off blocks wasn't great.

I don't know that I can blame that on the scheme...A better effort by those on the field, perhaps.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm quickly becoming of a mindset that the coaching is not good enough, and the talent isn't all it was cracked up to be either.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. However to be accurate Barry didn’t know Hoyer would go down early in. However I agree you need to be more aggressive attacking Zappe, in the mold of what K.C. Did to Love. Come with the kitchen sink

I see what you are saying. It’s actually accurate as So far globally Amos is underperforming in the passing game. However his role has been modified and we’ve seen more of him playing closer to LOS. I also wonder if several big plays were attributed to him that were the result of CB substitutions (group failure)

I’m not sure if you guys noticed but Savage had a terrific TFL and completely blew up a screen. I’ve been harping on us to use him more aggressively in attacking style. I remember he did some of that in College film and used his speed to disrupt like a heat sealing missile. Maybe Barry is recognizing it’s a relative strength? Hopefully.
I noticed in college Darnel will not always make the full stop like he did perfectly on Sunday, but he’s all over the ball carrier and it slows the play down for others too rally. I had to replay that Savage TFL 3X because it looked so good.. I couldn’t believe my eyes. He was playing Big for a small guy. I think we need to s ask most force him by play design to play attack style in certain packages where he can display His exceptional speed. That blur coming in hard past LOS is Savage
He got to play a lot Sunday with Ford instead of Amos because of the concussion. Wonder if that makes a difference.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’re not alone. Matt eluded to making Defensive adjustments quicker in situations like this when asked about it and it seemed he was already aware of this problem. He’s still the HC and thus he’s fully responsible and accountable for all 3 phases and Joe Barry likely wouldn’t be here without Matt’s thumbs up, so these guys are workmates but also good friends. This will be addressed imo.

That said, I did notice weve been starting to use our Safeties in blitz packages and run support and in small samples quite effectively, just not often enough imo.
That's all good info, thanks. And yeah, MLF is ultimately responsible for results. I'm guessing they start sitting Lowry and playing Slaton more to help defend the run. Slaton is bigger and IMO a better athlete than Lowry.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. He's a very athletic big man and a first-round pick. Give him some snaps. Certainly the run defense can't get worse. Well, I hope not.

Be careful what you wish for. . .

Wyatt doesn't seem to play disciplined enough to be a good run defender at this point in his career. He has a little bit of that wild man, CMIII vibe to him. Obviously, at over 300 pounds it looks different, but the idea holds. He's crazy and get up field as a pass rusher, but that doesn't mean he's immediately a stout run defender. Also doesn't mean he won't get there someday.

And I don't want to crap on athletes on the d-line either. All things equal, I'd prefer the athlete as well, but one doesn't have to be a ballerina to not get moved from your gap.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. . .

Wyatt doesn't seem to play disciplined enough to be a good run defender at this point in his career. He has a little bit of that wild man, CMIII vibe to him. Obviously, at over 300 pounds it looks different, but the idea holds. He's crazy and get up field as a pass rusher, but that doesn't mean he's immediately a stout run defender. Also doesn't mean he won't get there someday.

And I don't want to crap on athletes on the d-line either. All things equal, I'd prefer the athlete as well, but one doesn't have to be a ballerina to not get moved from your gap.
Good point and really, until the Packers can establish some type of run defense, it's not a good idea to try a rookie, regardless of pedigree and draft position. Thanks for your comment.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with @captainWIMM on being against Doubs getting a stud ranking.

One could say kudos for sticking to it and never letting the fumble (which Rodgers took some of that one on him as he set Romeo up to barely catch it to start and led him to defenders while outstretched)….and the way the young kid bounced back on the winning drive with two big catches after not completing the dagger through the ground.

Kid has grit, and one cannot deny he is showing signs of being special….but a fumble and dropped game winner. Worthy of being positive but not a stud for sure.

My Studs are Aaron Jones, Lazard and Patty D again (this dude is special).

My Duds are Defensive scheme sucked IMO overall, 1st half Rodgers

Not dud worthy but Dillon seems to be running reactive more than proactive if that makes sense this year. He needs to decide to hit a hole as hard as he is willing to hit a person.
Who??

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of folks are wringing their hands over this game because we didn't dominate at home against a 3rd string QB. But come December nobody is gonna remember this one other than the W. IMO it is better to find a way to win when things aren't going your way and/or you aren't playing your best. Getting the W is the important thing. There are no style points in the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trotting out your 3rd string QB when you're a team like GB and the drop off from 1-2-3 is dramatic, yeah you'll see a big difference in the game. Trotting out your 3rd stringer when or offense is based off running with a couple bootlegs or play actions a game regardless who's the QB and then strong defense and special teams, the difference isn't so noticeable. Especially when you factor in a TD in which half the defense was caught standing around from a 2+second expired play clock wondering when the whistle is coming and another exceedingly rare pick 6 by the QB it tends to make games look close.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think MLF has much to do with the defensive calls and lets Barry do his thing. I did hear in an interview that he wants to talk over what happened, which he would do regardless, and see if changes can be made. He also said they need some toughness. Point is, he is much more involved in offense than defense.
It could be me, but what I heard was that he wasn't happy with some of the defensive calls and he wanted to talk to Barry about that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Barry is coaching up the inside linebackers against the run very well. They are not hitting the holes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Barry is coaching up the inside linebackers against the run very well. They are not hitting the holes.
That's true, and yet that's a big part of their job. Can't wait for Barnes to get back.

But they're paying Campbell a lot, and Walker is their first draft choice. Time to start making some stops in the run game.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and that hair makes him look like a freak. :p
It's awful. It looks like he was right in the middle of getting his head shaved and the barber died. He does look like a freak, or like he walked off the set of Peaky Blinders (check out their haircuts).

When he has a baseball cap on, long strands of hair poke out around his ears, and yet the back of his head looks shaved. Is this the look in Malibu ARod?

Reaction score
Time for Wyatt to see more action too.
Amen!
I noticed Wyatt was on a recent injury list recently with a Quadriceps (but did practice) I’m now wondering if he’s had some lingering issue that’s limiting him? Just a thought.

Reaction score
He's got a lot to learn, but I like what I seen so far. Remarkable quickness and athleticism for a big man.
I noticed he almost always quickly wins his 1 on 1 matchups. Going back in limited looks thus far, he’s been doubled a lot. He’s got a little Young Kenny in there somewhere.

Where I think he could help more situationally is on Known Rushing plays, he’s really quick and instinctive at tracking the ball and he’s hard to move. If he’s left 1 on 1 he’s got some young Kenny (disruptive) qualities and springs into the backfield very quickly. If his thigh is ok? I’d like to see a little more of him and a little less of Lowry. I think Lowry is a smidge better in the Passing game, but I seriously think that Wyatt can play the Run a little better today. He’s got very good hands to shed, he’s quick laterally and he’s a very sound tackler. He’s the speed of a LB at 307lbs

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts