Pats studs n duds

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
Run defense- going to be a long season if that doesn't change.
Studs- Aaron Jones, Lazard, and Gary.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: The front 5 of the D DL and OLBs. Pressure early and late when it was needed. What was the sack total today 6?

Dud: 12. Said it before, I'll say it again the under throws, the receivers not knowing where to go is a DIRECT cause of 12 REFUSING to play during pre-season with live rounds. Also a pick 6 today while going 4-11-44 yards in the 1st half? Did someone tell Aaron it was the playoffs?

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: The front 5 of the D DL and OLBs. Pressure early and late when it was needed. What was the sack total today 6?

Dud: 12. Said it before, I'll say it again the under throws, the receivers not knowing where to go is a DIRECT cause of 12 REFUSING to play during pre-season with live rounds. Also a pick 6 today while going 4-11-44 yards in the 1st half? Did someone tell Aaron it was the playoffs?
You know the rookie, Doubs dropped a touchdown pass right? Perfect throw by AR again btw

D

Deleted member 6794

Studs D and Doubs cobb lazard

I don't agree with Doubs being a stud. He lost a fumble and dropped a touchdown.

This should have been a cakewalk, we were getting schooled by a 3rd stringer. A 3rd stringer who was playing D2 ball.

Zappe played for Western Kentucky in the FCS last year, throwing for nearly 6,000 yards and 62 TDs in 14 games in 2021.

With that being said, that doesn't make the defense's performance any better.

It was the 33 Runs for 167 yards allowed when you knew good n well they’d mix Run heavy. I saw several times where we had 4 on the DL??? We should’ve had 7!!!

Do you agree the run defense might be an issue after all? ;)

While the defense finished with four sacks the defensive line and outside linebackers don't deserve to be considered as studs as they weren't able to stop the run.

Dud: 12. Said it before, I'll say it again the under throws, the receivers not knowing where to go is a DIRECT cause of 12 REFUSING to play during pre-season with live rounds.

I guarantee that Rodgers playing in the preseason wouldn't have made any difference in yesterday's game.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Demoralizing game; this team is not a super bowl contender.

Duds

Run Defense-How is it that no matter the coaches or personnel, we can never ever tackle well and can always be gashed on the ground?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Injuries to the secondary, turnovers, and perhaps a bit of over-confidence. Dumb penalty of Clark.

Studs: Rashan Gary, Mason Crosby, Aaron Jones, Alan Lazard, and despite a bad drop Romeo Doubs.

3-1, and off to London...I'll take it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So hard to pick

Duds, refs for sure
A lot of duds on the Packers side of the ball. I'll give a stud to Crosby for missing the entire PS and still making a critical kick when the lights were brightest (I know it was shorter than a PAT, but with a lot more pressure. And it was a walk off. Extra stud points for that stuff.)

And a stud to both running backs. All they do is produce every week, even with Belichik gunning for them.

Another big dud, outside of Crosby, was STs, again. Terrible covering returns, terrible at returns. Sure wish they would give someone, anyone a try other than Rodgers. He's just not good. I still have confidence in Bisaccia to get it right.

I better stop here or I'll be typing all day......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Demoralizing game; this team is not a super bowl contender.

Duds

Run Defense-How is it that no matter the coaches or personnel, we can never ever tackle well and can always be gashed on the ground?
Agreed. And with 3rd string rookie Frank Zappa at QB, Barry should have known they'd run. Still couldn't stop them.

I hate to do it, but a dud for Clark on that roughing penalty. That reignited a scoring drive that should have ended in a punt.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Lazard. Jones. End of game Dillon. Doubs redeemed himself. Watson needs to get the ball more.
Duds: Refs. Defense being unable to stop the run. Walker and Campbell need to blow up these run plays. I think Stokes seems to be floating around out there.
Yeah, it seemed to me that Q gets in behind all the tacklers where he really isn't needed and then the runner cuts for the close hole. Q should be going where they ain't, where the runner might be going; not where it is already clogged imho. And Jenkins needs to move to the interior.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am with @captainWIMM on being against Doubs getting a stud ranking.

One could say kudos for sticking to it and never letting the fumble (which Rodgers took some of that one on him as he set Romeo up to barely catch it to start and led him to defenders while outstretched)….and the way the young kid bounced back on the winning drive with two big catches after not completing the dagger through the ground.

Kid has grit, and one cannot deny he is showing signs of being special….but a fumble and dropped game winner. Worthy of being positive but not a stud for sure.

My Studs are Aaron Jones, Lazard and Patty D again (this dude is special).

My Duds are Defensive scheme sucked IMO overall, 1st half Rodgers

Not dud worthy but Dillon seems to be running reactive more than proactive if that makes sense this year. He needs to decide to hit a hole as hard as he is willing to hit a person.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One could say kudos for sticking to it and never letting the fumble (which Rodgers took some of that one on him as he set Romeo up to barely catch it to start and led him to defenders while outstretched)….and the way the young kid bounced back on the winning drive with two big catches after not completing the dagger through the ground.

Kid has grit, and one cannot deny he is showing signs of being special….but a fumble and dropped game winner. Worthy of being positive but not a stud for sure.

Not dud worthy but Dillon seems to be running reactive more than proactive if that makes sense this year. He needs to decide to hit a hole as hard as he is willing to hit a person.
The problem is, if he doesn't secure that ball a whole heck of a lot better, he's going to be a dud at the worst time. He lost one, he dropped the dagger and on the game winning drive he did have 2 nice catches, and one of those, he almost lost too. There was nothing spectacular about those hits that made him lose control. and that's 3 times in one game.

This has been going back to his very first action in the preseason. It must improve. Teams see this and they're going to be coming for that ball extra ******* him for the rest of the season until he can prove he's not losing control anymore and when they care more about the ball than him he can break those tackles and make them pay in the endzone. He needs to right this ship, and quickly.

Reaction score
Im not talking about the game. It was implied the qb was lighting them up. So far from the truth. Getting schooled by the qb was the quote. You believe that?

Now..if it was said cake walk for this win amd you let them hang around. I would agree 1000000 percent.
Yes. We have to remember that Rodgers threw a Pick 6.
So effectively The Pats O scored 17 pts, which is really a good performance for a backup QB (I think he managed 14 points run/pass).

The good news is our D allowed 17 points and they did it looking ugly at times. When is the last time we could say that!
I don’t think it helped that our CB1 was ruled out and Safety1 injured on the second Pats possession.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. We have to remember that Rodgers threw a Pick 6.
So effectively The Pats O scored 17 pts, which is really a good performance for a backup QB (I think he managed 14 points run/pass).

The good news is our D allowed 17 points and they did it looking ugly at times. When is the last time we could say that!
I don’t think it helped that our CB1 was ruled out and Safety1 injured on the second Pats possession.
Except the problem was'nt Alexander and Amos being out. It was getting gashed again in the run game when you knew it was coming.

Reaction score
Except the problem was'nt Alexander and Amos being out. It was getting gashed again in the run game when you knew it was coming.
Actually it did matter. Because if you recall how were we using Amos?

Also had Alexander played? You bring Rasul into the Slot.

By Alexander and Amos missing most or all of this contest, it directly or indirectly eliminated 2 of our best Run defenders from the Secondary grouping (Amos +Rasul) in my opinion.

Couple that with us giving Wyatt (1Tackle in 5 snaps) the cold shoulder for 4 consecutive games and playing a relatively tender scheme (lining up Campbell as an Edge rusher etc.. just weird while we’re being stabbed in the stomach you tell him to watch the side door) while the Pats operated on us with no anesthesia.
I’m not sure if they remembered, but Wyatt finished up as the LEADING iDL tackler on a Champion team with an 18% TFL rate and 1st and 2nd team SEC designation in 2021 (coaches/AP). He did that several season (2019,2021) Devonte was known coming into the NFL to need Pass Rush refinement, but he’s an animal in Run Stop on iDL and we all but benched him when we needed to stop the run. Why even pick him at #28?? Just go get a Safety or Edge if you don’t like him.

Last edited:

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with Doubs being a stud. He lost a fumble and dropped a touchdown.

Zappe played for Western Kentucky in the FCS last year, throwing for nearly 6,000 yards and 62 TDs in 14 games in 2021.

Do you agree the run defense might be an issue after all? ;)

While the defense finished with four sacks the defensive line and outside linebackers don't deserve to be considered as studs as they weren't able to stop the run.

I guarantee that Rodgers playing in the preseason wouldn't have made any difference in yesterday's game.
I agree that Zappe wasn't lighting the world on fire, but playing like that will not win in the playoffs IMO. Again, they needed OT to beat a team that might not make the playoffs (with their starter) and rookie starting 3rd stringer. This should have been an easy win, but it wasn't. The blame has to go to almost everyone tbh. It's early, but this not looking like a playoff winning team right now. But again, this is my opinion, if you disagree, that's fine. IMO, we won but looked like we might lose, (again, to 3rd stringer) we should expect better.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree with most of this. Dillon doesn't seem to be following his blockers and/or looking for gaps. He takes the ball and runs into the pile a lot. He's not gonna last long playing like that, and it's not effective. Last year he'd pause and look for gaps. He may just need to slow down half a second before committing.

He's never gonna be a finesse guy like Jones. Dillon is all about power. Even so, he either needs to find gaps, or the O line needs to open some for him. I don't know what the problem is.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

This is purely an "FYI" comment, but WKU is FBS.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Weird game. Both frustrating and encouraging for different reasons.

Frustrating:

-The offense is still clunky. Its pieces aren't working together yet. The receivers aren't quite in sync with Rodgers, the OL is still rounding into form, Rodgers is still a little uneven, Dillon hasn't really gotten rolling yet. I would bet money that by mid-season, they're running a lot smoother, but it hasn't happened yet and it's costing them in key situations.

-Turnovers and close calls... either Rodgers misplaced that screen pass or Doubs wasn't in the right spot, but it resulted in a fumble. Lazard fell down and Rodgers threw a rare pick 6. Doubs essentially catches a touchdown but is foiled by the NFL's ridiculous catch rule.

Encouraging:

-If you ignore the big picture for a minute (which the team obviously shouldn't and won't do, but as fans...), the individual performances in this game were generally pretty good!

--Rodgers: Brutal in the first half (3/10 for 38 yards and a pick), but once he got things figured out, he was 18/25 for 213 yards and 2 TD.

--Receivers: Lazard had his biggest game so far, Doubs caught a TD, Cobb continues to be a key player on 3rd downs, Tonyan finally scored, Watson contributed.

--Jones continued his fantastic season (6.8 YPC so far!).

--Dillon was solid if not spectacular.

--Gary was elite.

--Crosby was perfect and O'Donnell continues to be really good.

The Defense:

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the way the defense played. They were not outstanding, but they were pretty good. Here's my case.

-The Patriots' offense had three scoring drives on the day.

--Their first drive resulted in a field goal. It's very typical for a team to be at its most effective on drive #1 with scripted plays designed particularly to catch the defense off-guard.

--Their first drive of the second half resulted in a touchdown. This drive is totally fraudulent. The roughness penalty on Clark was stupid, but even if you set that aside, the Pats threw a touchdown after a clear and obvious delay of game. So if you're going to criticize the defense, I don't want to hear about this drive.

--Their final scoring drive came right afterwards. It was 6 runs and 1 pass. Now if you want to criticize the run defense, by all means. But that's not exactly a case of Bailey Zappe tearing them up. He completed one pass.

--On the day, the defense produced: FG, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Fumble, TD, TD, Punt, Punt. 17 points. 10 of them legitimate.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If that delay gets called, Zappe goes 9/14 for 75 yards, 0 INT, 3 sacks.

And the media is like “wHY DId tHe dEFenSE struGgLE sO MUCh wITH zApPe???”

I feel like paying attention to and understanding the game should be a prerequisite of reporting on it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is, if he doesn't secure that ball a whole heck of a lot better, he's going to be a dud at the worst time. He lost one, he dropped the dagger and on the game winning drive he did have 2 nice catches, and one of those, he almost lost too. There was nothing spectacular about those hits that made him lose control. and that's 3 times in one game.

This has been going back to his very first action in the preseason. It must improve. Teams see this and they're going to be coming for that ball extra ******* him for the rest of the season until he can prove he's not losing control anymore and when they care more about the ball than him he can break those tackles and make them pay in the endzone. He needs to right this ship, and quickly.
Don’t disagree with any of this.

Reaction score
Weird game. Both frustrating and encouraging for different reasons.

Frustrating:

-The offense is still clunky. Its pieces aren't working together yet. The receivers aren't quite in sync with Rodgers, the OL is still rounding into form, Rodgers is still a little uneven, Dillon hasn't really gotten rolling yet. I would bet money that by mid-season, they're running a lot smoother, but it hasn't happened yet and it's costing them in key situations.

-Turnovers and close calls... either Rodgers misplaced that screen pass or Doubs wasn't in the right spot, but it resulted in a fumble. Lazard fell down and Rodgers threw a rare pick 6. Doubs essentially catches a touchdown but is foiled by the NFL's ridiculous catch rule.

Encouraging:

-If you ignore the big picture for a minute (which the team obviously shouldn't and won't do, but as fans...), the individual performances in this game were generally pretty good!

--Rodgers: Brutal in the first half (3/10 for 38 yards and a pick), but once he got things figured out, he was 18/25 for 213 yards and 2 TD.

--Receivers: Lazard had his biggest game so far, Doubs caught a TD, Cobb continues to be a key player on 3rd downs, Tonyan finally scored, Watson contributed.

--Jones continued his fantastic season (6.8 YPC so far!).

--Dillon was solid if not spectacular.

--Gary was elite.

--Crosby was perfect and O'Donnell continues to be really good.

The Defense:

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the way the defense played. They were not outstanding, but they were pretty good. Here's my case.

-The Patriots' offense had three scoring drives on the day.

--Their first drive resulted in a field goal. It's very typical for a team to be at its most effective on drive #1 with scripted plays designed particularly to catch the defense off-guard.

--Their first drive of the second half resulted in a touchdown. This drive is totally fraudulent. The roughness penalty on Clark was stupid, but even if you set that aside, the Pats threw a touchdown after a clear and obvious delay of game. So if you're going to criticize the defense, I don't want to hear about this drive.

--Their final scoring drive came right afterwards. It was 6 runs and 1 pass. Now if you want to criticize the run defense, by all means. But that's not exactly a case of Bailey Zappe tearing them up. He completed one pass.

--On the day, the defense produced: FG, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Fumble, TD, TD, Punt, Punt. 17 points. 10 of them legitimate.
I’ll just add. Our D allowed 17 points in near 5 Quarters of play. Now I’m not claiming it was our best D performance ever, but like you said, it’s not exactly a blowout here.

In the wake of our week 4 contest, the only area our D was ranked outside the top 16 is in rushing yards (22) and 4th dn% (23) INT (24)
We are
7th in points against
6th in yards
3rd in pass yards
9th pass TD
7th Rushing TD
6th TD total
3rd RZ attempts
4th RZ TD
#1 in 3rd down %

Doesn’t look like we moved much off last weeks ratings.

On Offense we 6th in yards and 21st in points. That speaks to me.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll just add. Our D allowed 17 points in near 5 Quarters of play. Now I’m not claiming it was our best D performance ever, but like you said, it’s not exactly a blowout here.

In the wake of our week 4 contest, the only area our D was ranked outside the top 16 is in rushing yards (22) and 4th dn% (23)
We are
7th in points against
6th in yards
3rd in pass yards
9th pass TD
7th Rushing TD
6th TD total
3rd RZ attempts
4th RZ TD
#1 in 3rd down %

Doesn’t look like we moved much off last weeks ratings.
The weak run defense is really a surprise. They added Reed to the DL, added Walker as an ILB, the secondary is made up of smart, hard-hitting athletes.

It seems like more of a coaching failure than a talent failure. The Packers give up yards even when the other team telegraphs "run", like yesterday after a 3rd string QB came in. I don't understand where the problem(s) is, but it needs to be fixed. The other rankings are very good, I expected this to be at least a top 10 D. The run D needs fixing. Wish I knew the answer.

Reaction score
The weak run defense is really a surprise. They added Reed to the DL, added Walker as an ILB, the secondary is made up of smart, hard-hitting athletes.

It seems like more of a coaching failure than a talent failure. The Packers give up yards even when the other team telegraphs "run", like yesterday after a 3rd string QB came in. I don't understand where the problem(s) is, but it needs to be fixed. The other rankings are very good, I expected this to be at least a top 10 D. The run D needs fixing. Wish I knew the answer.
I agree that it’s mostly schematic only because I saw it with my novice eyes. On replay they would go into that Coaches All-22 angle and there would be 2 DL from Tackle to tackle from time to time. It’s like we sent an invitation to run!
The other odd thing is while we are 22nd in Rushing yards, you’ll notice we are 7th in Rushing TD and 9th in passing TD. That tells me our opponents thus far essentially successfully run down the field..
and then get relatively stymied as they get into scoring range. We are 7th in Redzone Defense

Last edited: