Pats studs n duds

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The weak run defense is really a surprise. They added Reed to the DL, added Walker as an ILB, the secondary is made up of smart, hard-hitting athletes.

It seems like more of a coaching failure than a talent failure. The Packers give up yards even when the other team telegraphs "run", like yesterday after a 3rd string QB came in. I don't understand where the problem(s) is, but it needs to be fixed. The other rankings are very good, I expected this to be at least a top 10 D. The run D needs fixing. Wish I knew the answer.
I agree that it’s mostly schematic only because I saw it with my novice eyes. On replay they would go into that Coaches All-22 angle and there would be 2 DL from Tackle to tackle from time to time. It’s like we sent an invitation to run!
The other odd thing is while we are 22nd in Rushing yards, you’ll notice we are 7th in Rushing TD and 9th in passing TD. That tells me our opponents thus far essentially successfully run down the field..
and then get relatively stymied as they get into scoring range. We are 7th in Redzone Defense
The red zone numbers are a little reassuring. Bend don't break. And the D hasn't given up a lot of points. You could take 14 away from the Pats if Lazard doesn't fall down and the refs do their jobs. But that's just wishing. It was an ugly game, but good teams find a way to win those.

Best teams in the NFC are Eagles/Packers, and in the AFC Chiefs/Bills. Some will disagree, but that's kinda where we are at week 4. Not bad, not great, but winning.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The weak run defense is really a surprise. They added Reed to the DL, added Walker as an ILB, the secondary is made up of smart, hard-hitting athletes.

It seems like more of a coaching failure than a talent failure. The Packers give up yards even when the other team telegraphs "run", like yesterday after a 3rd string QB came in. I don't understand where the problem(s) is, but it needs to be fixed. The other rankings are very good, I expected this to be at least a top 10 D. The run D needs fixing. Wish I knew the answer.
Walker was 2nd lowest rated on Pro Football Focus at 38.5 due to poor play against the run. He's an exceptional sideline to sideline defender, but is not good at the point of attack. He doesn't get off blocks well. Campbell was 3rd lowest rated. He wasn't very effective either.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker was 2nd lowest rated on Pro Football Focus at 38.5 due to poor play against the run. He's an exceptional sideline to sideline defender, but is not good at the point of attack. He doesn't get off blocks well. Campbell was 3rd lowest rated. He wasn't very effective either.
Yeah I guess that's the trade off. Guys with the speed and agility to go sideline to sideline, drop in coverage, and occasionally rush the QB usually don't play well sitting between the hash marks. I don't like Blake Martinez, but he could stop the big run. Maybe there's someone like him out there on a PS.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to do it, but a dud for Clark on that roughing penalty. That reignited a scoring drive that should have ended in a punt.
Clark definitely a dud. He failed against the run and made a bone head play that cost us points.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
Run defense- going to be a long season if that doesn't change.
Studs- Aaron Jones, Lazard, and Gary.
I think our Run D can be very good. The scheming has to be better week to week. First, you key on Dalvin Cooke and Jefferson kills you. Then you try and stop Fields but Montgomery gets you. You have a strong game against Tampa then when you know you have a 3rd string QB you should be able to stuff the box and stop the run. Barry has to dial down these opponents.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The red zone numbers are a little reassuring. Bend don't break. And the D hasn't given up a lot of points. You could take 14 away from the Pats if Lazard doesn't fall down and the refs do their jobs. But that's just wishing. It was an ugly game, but good teams find a way to win those.

Best teams in the NFC are Eagles/Packers, and in the AFC Chiefs/Bills. Some will disagree, but that's kinda where we are at week 4. Not bad, not great, but winning.
Good assessment. Philly has a lot of speed in all areas. The Chiefs are devastating if they do not schedule their own byes. And the Bills have truly matured.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good assessment. Philly has a lot of speed in all areas. The Chiefs are devastating if they do not schedule their own byes. And the Bills have truly matured.
Yeah some might argue that the NFC nest is Philly/LA. I don't buy that. If the Packers hadn't blown the game against the niners, they would have beaten the Rams and then the Bengals in the SB. They play this year. Packers will win.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Aaron Jones - shifty and alert, gashed the defense with great field vision

Gary - improving every year and continues to get after the qb

Lazard - hands hands hands...sticky good.

Duds:

Barry - in comes a 3rd string qb and plays zone. Having nightmares of Pettine....load the box and make the rook beat you.

Amari Rodgers - limited time on the clock and runs the punt back at the end - horrible idea.

Very disgruntled by the coaching in this game. The officials(back judge) that ignored the time clock was clown car ridiculous. It was a scoring play which is reviewable and played blind skunk. On to Tottenham for some tea and bland food. Oh bloody hell..

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs -
Aaron Jones - d'uh
Rashan Gary - also d'uh
Bahktiari - don't care how he played, he finally shut up all those people who wanted to cut a guy who was the best LT in football
Doubs - fumbles are bad but a 4th round rookie has played himself into the top-2 receivers for the team and that's pretty amazing
Cobb - Overall numbers aren't eye-popping but the guy is always there to make the needed play
Lazard - Looks to be back from his early season injury and is obviously earning those targets

Duds -
Joe Barry - starting to look like the guy who never coached a defense ranked above 25th in the league prior to last season
Amos & Savage - Savage has been disappointing for a while now but Amos has looked more like Damarious Randall than himself out there so far this season
Devondre Campbell - starting to look like last year was a but of a fluke
AJ Dillon - Been looking a lot like Leroy Hoard so far this season ("if you need one yard, I'll get you three yards. If you need five yards, I'll get you three yards.") Obviously he gets more than 3 yards...but not much more (that 2020 draft really needs to step it up from becoming an all-time stinker)
Entire front 7 - how a team with Zappe at the helm (he might eventually be good but not his rookie season) can run for over 5 yards a carry is a true testament to the front 7 not giving a damn

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amos left the game with a concussion on their 2nd possession after flying up and making a great tackle for a loss. Not sure how he ended up a dud, unless you're going to start doing that for injuries which seems a bit unfair if you ask me.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amos left the game with a concussion on their 2nd possession after flying up and making a great tackle for a loss. Not sure how he ended up a dud, unless you're going to start doing that for injuries which seems a bit unfair if you ask me.

His play has been pretty awful all season and it wasn't looking much better to start the game. I probably let too much of the prior games influence that one.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was 10/15 for 99 1TD, not exactly a clinic there. I do agree though Barry was complacent and never really effectively challenged him enough. Especially early on. It was the 33 Runs for 167 yards allowed when you knew good n well they’d mix Run heavy. I saw several times where we had 4 on the DL??? We should’ve had 7!!!

Stud: Gary, Lazard, Doubs, Cobb
Our running game finishing for 199! Way to Go AJ+AJ!!
Rodgers honorable mention for resilience bouncing back.

Duds: Barry’s tender game plan once that 3rd stringer arrived.
Jenkins (Get Nij in there and pair Elgton with Runyon at Guard)
I don’t think Elgton is at 100% yet
I agree. I think Barry thought that 3rd stringer at QB, would be a pretty easy win. I will be happy if they ever learn to go for the throat.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard fell down about the same time as the pick. The INT was happening whether Lazard fell down or not. The defender read it and made a good play.

Rodgers in his post-game even said if he'd actually thrown the ball where he should have it would have been a much harder pick, but still possible...he just flat blew it and owned it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers in his post-game even said if he'd actually thrown the ball where he should have it would have been a much harder pick, but still possible...he just flat blew it and owned it.
yeah, i heard him say he threw it so badly the defender almost overran it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
yeah, i heard him say he threw it so badly the defender almost overran it.
But according to some, he never holds himself accountable for his play.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud - Rodgers and his new haircut. He looks like an abandoned kewpie doll.

Oh, here is a picture of Rodgers post game Sunday after he combed his hair and before he could put on a cap.

Attachments

• tempImage5TvrIJ.png
    tempImage5TvrIJ.png
    869.7 KB · Views: 49

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Studs:
Jones: 16 carries for 110 yards. 6.9 yards a carry is definitely stud like.
Lazard: Dogged him in the past but no longer will. 6 catches for 116 yards.
Gary: 2 sacks and the fumble. Enough said.
Ford: Led the team with 6 tackles and looked solid. I really like this signing.
Crosby: I did want to cut him this year. However, looked solid. Nothing special or long about his FGs. Did his job.
Duds:
Campbell: Tied for the lead in tackles but gave up a TD.
Lowry: Stinks against the run. I will celebrate when we replace him with someone better.
TE Group: Tonyan had a TD. Beyond that, this group isn't bringing anything offensively. Before people start ranting about run blocking, I get it. It's important. We need more plays out of this position.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Jones: 16 carries for 110 yards. 6.9 yards a carry is definitely stud like.
Lazard: Dogged him in the past but no longer will. 6 catches for 116 yards.
Gary: 2 sacks and the fumble. Enough said.
Ford: Led the team with 6 tackles and looked solid. I really like this signing.
Crosby: I did want to cut him this year. However, looked solid. Nothing special or long about his FGs. Did his job.
Duds:
Campbell: Tied for the lead in tackles but gave up a TD.
Lowry: Stinks against the run. I will celebrate when we replace him with someone better.
TE Group: Tonyan had a TD. Beyond that, this group isn't bringing anything offensively. Before people start ranting about run blocking, I get it. It's important. We need more plays out of this position.
Good summary. Lowry needs to be replaced with Slaton. Slaton is bigger and opponents are running between the tackles. Also, drop a safety. Two high unnecessary when opponent is running so much.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But according to some, he never holds himself accountable for his play.

He points the finger a decent amount, albeit usually in subtle or sly ways.

Look I honestly don't care he doesn't come to early camps stuff...BUT he also then now cannot be frustrated with timing issues with these young wideouts....whole nother issue though and separate but also not from this.

Krabs

Reaction score
Also, drop a safety. Two high unnecessary when opponent is running so much.
It always frustrates me when the Packers know what's coming and can't do anything to stop it. Were their o-lineman just that much better? I'm not an expert in football when it comes to x's and o's. Do something though. Challenge them to pass with the 3rd string guy. Don't just sit back and let them run over and over.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It always frustrates me when the Packers know what's coming and can't do anything to stop it. Were their o-lineman just that much better? I'm not an expert in football when it comes to x's and o's. Do something though. Challenge them to pass with the 3rd string guy. Don't just sit back and let them run over and over.
Yeah I mean I think if Bellichik were coaching the Packers Sunday, he would have loaded the box, basically saying, let the third string rookie QB beat us.

But the Packers didn't do that. The DL is talented, but they need to be moved like chess pieces. I don't know if MLF can't see that. He seems to stubbornly stick to the game plan for that week no matter what happens on the field. But when Zappe came in, things should have changed to attack that. Things didn't change. Weird.

Krabs

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I think if Bellichik were coaching the Packers Sunday, he would have loaded the box, basically saying, let the third string rookie QB beat us.

But the Packers didn't do that. The DL is talented, but they need to be moved like chess pieces. I don't know if MLF can't see that. He seems to stubbornly stick to the game plan for that week no matter what happens on the field. But when Zappe came in, things should have changed to attack that. Things didn't change. Weird.
I don't think MLF has much to do with the defensive calls and lets Barry do his thing. I did hear in an interview that he wants to talk over what happened, which he would do regardless, and see if changes can be made. He also said they need some toughness. Point is, he is much more involved in offense than defense.

Members online

Latest posts