Packers vs Bengals: Preseason Game 1 Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it is January at Lambeau those PATs are not a gimme. But it was August in Cincy with no pressure either. At least he is getting opportunities to kick.
Time to give Mason a call...

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any downside to the Packers having two good quarterbacks. We're a long way from a quarterback controversy. I'm not married to Love, regardless. If Clifford were to beat him out and be a better quarterback, it doesn't hurt my feelings any. Of course, that kind of talk is simply ridiculous at this point. Love looked good enough, I thought. I like Clifford, but didn't care for the two interceptions.

By the way, while the NFL Network screwed me over last night, I did get to record the rerun this morning.
I know. What was that? Sorry, we're cutting you off from the game. That won't happen next week here in Boston, for me. Local Yocal channel 4 will give us the entire game.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anders is going to get some competition tomorrow.
I sure hope so. After seeing that performance I don't trust him at all. PAT's should be automatic for an NFL caliber kicker. He must be a head case.

Reaction score
Thoughts on the game.

I am back to 85% sure Love is the guy long term. It dipped to 84% after Family Night. He had a bit of the yips early that I'm hoping is only in pre-season or his 1st start in PS as 'the man'.

Anders Carlson is doing as advertised. 72% on kicks at Auburn last year, he comes in hits from 45...and shanks 2 PATs. As an Auburn fan he was the guy I wanted the LEAST.

D looked real good last night with alot of starters sitting. Though I do believe if Burrow was playing that game may have been 36-31.

I would HATE to have to make cuts in that DB room this year. Not only can most of the castoffs play on other rosters, but they can start for most teams.

I get the feeling the final WR spot is gonna come down to Heath and Toure...and right now after 1 game it's Heath.

I LOVED what I saw out of Clifford except for the 1st INT. You can't eyeball your target.

O-Line depth is a concern as we saw last night BEFORE the injuries.

Not sure what to make of the D-Line or D-Line depth, haven't seen enough yet to assess.

ILB depth is gonna be an issue as it seems that Walker and Campbell might be all there is on the whole roster. You guys know I'm a LB guy, and I think not drafting new blood or upgrading may bite this team in the a** this yar.

RB depth looks phenomenal.

TE group I don't think we're gonna know what we have until mid-season, I also wouldn't be wholly surprised if we have multiple starters until about Week 10.

Returners weren't great, but they weren't as bad as Carlson was on PATs.
I agree with mostly what you said.

Although at ILB I think we can do much worse than Isaiah McDuffie. I’ll be watching him closer in his 3rd season. He led our team in QB hits (2) yesterday and also added a ST tackle. If he makes any improvement from a solid 2022 we’ll be fine. He seems to wear well but we she’ll see. I think he’s a keeper though he looked decent on both ST and spot duty last year.

I have Toure in a fierce battle with D. Wicks for WR4-WR5. I’d be absolutely shocked if Toure got beat out of the #53 altogether.
On top of the fact Toure just posted a 44 yard return for Teams. That’s 100 All-purpose in PS #1. He might even be my “most improved” Wideout through Camp and PS.

I don’t mind developing Anders for 1 season Before he starts. I just think that job is too important for on the job training though. I’m conflicted on him because I think he is going to be really good… after about 1 season of work. If I’m Gute I’m offering Crosby $2.5M for a 5-6 month assignment and maybe a few 150K season incentives, such as one if he’s in GB by this Wednesday ;)

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love was decent. Made a couple of good throws, but felt like a safe player. Doesn't take risks. Good if we are on top, but when behind or in a clutch situation, I don't think he's got what it needs.

Clifford is promising but needs some work. Love his aggression and confidence. The INTs could have been avoided, but it was a good play by the defender rather than outright bad throw from Clifford.

Be it a tight game or when we are behind and pushing for win on last drive, I'd rather have Clifford than Love at the helm, going by what I've seen vs Bengals.

Reaction score
Love was decent. Made a couple of good throws, but felt like a safe player. Doesn't take risks. Good if we are on top, but when behind or in a clutch situation, I don't think he's got what it needs.

Clifford is promising but needs some work. Love his aggression and confidence. The INTs could have been avoided, but it was a good play by the defender rather than outright bad throw from Clifford.

Be it a tight game or when we are behind and pushing for win on last drive, I'd rather have Clifford than Love at the helm, going by what I've seen vs Bengals.
I agree and I think Clifford is going to be a decent backup. He’s on the more experienced side for a Rook and given time he’ll make an above average QB2

I respectfully disagree on Clifford over Love in a last drive scenario though. Maybe in 2020 or earlier 2021 I’d agree with that. Love has been in system going on 4 years and also has a bigger arm and has better timing with his WR room. I like Clifford though and I still think he’s a good value for a Day3 selection.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any downside to the Packers having two good quarterbacks. We're a long way from a quarterback controversy. I'm not married to Love, regardless. If Clifford were to beat him out and be a better quarterback, it doesn't hurt my feelings any. Of course, that kind of talk is simply ridiculous at this point. Love looked good enough, I thought. I like Clifford, but didn't care for the two interceptions.

By the way, while the NFL Network screwed me over last night, I did get to record the rerun this morning.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When one of the two becomes a certain HOFer we can gladly have a QB controversy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time t Mason a call.

I picture Week One with a chance to hit a walk off winner against the Bears and.......Doink.
Well. Mason hit a game winner in his first NFL game in 2007. And a number in the last 16 seasons. But he also had some misses, too. I wish the kid a lot of luck.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we are all excited about Clifford but you really can't tell in preseason games. He isn't playing against starters. I liked Love's demeanor and how he took control of things out there. I think we'll have our ups and downs with Love this season but as long as he improved every week I'll be happy. I'm not expecting a winning season in 2023 but if he shows us he belongs watch out in 2024. With a more veteran cast around him Rodgers went 6-10 in his first season starting for us in 2008.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Clifford is our backup though, and isnt going anywhere. He showed some definite ability and potential. New and growing right off the bat. To me this o line has not small but HUGE concerns. When you are seeing multiple lineman playing center it points to Myers and Hanson being cut.
No doubt Clifford is the #2 QB, it was the hope when the Packers drafted him and he showed that he can be on Friday night. I was responding to a poster that said that Clifford was better than Love.

Josh Myers isn't going anywhere, unless he is traded. While he could lose his starting job to Tom, he won't be cut.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's hotter than Satan's family jewels outside. It's awful if I have to go outside I feel sick. I have a low heat intolerance.
Sultry summers are payback for the mild winters that Southerners get. Whereas, winter is payback for us Northerners for the many mild beautiful summer days we get. :) I've always looked at it this way, I can layer up and be very comfortable outside during any Wisconsin winter day. The south, there are summer days that even if you stripped down to your birthday suit, you can't be outside long.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I sure hope so. After seeing that performance I don't trust him at all. PAT's should be automatic for an NFL caliber kicker. He must be a head case.
Much like professional golfers, kicking can be a total head game, but more importantly, it requires to be very close to 100% with all the moving parts, including the snap, blocks, hold and kick. Think about it, how many passes, blocks, tackles, catches, etc. did you see last night that were off? Some by a lot, some by a little. Now when a kick is off, people go crazy and say things like "he sucks", "he's gotta go", "time to find a guy that can make them all". I got news for everybody, there were Packer fans that bitched about Crosby, his entire career. Give Anders some time and if he is off way more than he is on, than hit the panic button.

No matter the kicker you are going to have times when he is less than 100%. Might be a bad snap, hold, block or kick, but nothing, including an XP is automatic.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's hotter than Satan's family jewels outside. It's awful if I have to go outside I feel sick. I have a low heat intolerance.
We had 31 straight days of 110 or more. I've seen temp reading on my car hit 120 few times

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had 31 straight days of 110 or more. I've seen temp reading on my car hit 120 few times
The actual temps down here do not get onto the 100s but the dew points are ridiculous so the heat index gets up there. But come the middle of October the humidity drops and it is wonderful here until late April.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt Clifford is the #2 QB, it was the hope when the Packers drafted him and he showed that he can be on Friday night. I was responding to a poster that said that Clifford was better than Love.

Josh Myers isn't going anywhere, unless he is traded. While he could lose his starting job to Tom, he won't be cut.
I hope Myers picks it up. But I sure don't want to move Tom from tackle no matter what. I do not trust Nijman at all. I watched him getting pushed back from a bull rush from a 2nd or third stringer. I think they should start looking at others at center. Give all the guards a shot. The main thing is for the center to be aware of where the rushers/tacklers are coming from. Which side to help on when running. He can't just stand there when no one is coming up the middle. I've read that Myers is very good at getting to the 2nd level. That's not nothing. But he does need to take care of 1st responsibility first. Don't know why the coaches seemed to think we were perfectly all right on the O line. Maybe that is where we really need to think about bringing someone in or trading for someone. Have not given up on Myers though. He probably needs some extra coaching. That could be worth it. Go over films individually with him. So easy these days to have someone make a tape of only him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So that some fans can P&M about his inability to kick into the endzone?

Give Anders some time.
I agree. The thing i saw on the two missed points was that he just kicked the ball on the right side of his foot. Kind of like a golf shot. Lack of total concentration through the whole kick?? Those should be almost automatic and should help him with field goals if he gets it down. He sure hits them long and high when he connects with the ball properly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope Myers picks it up. But I sure don't want to move Tom from tackle no matter what. I do not trust Nijman at all. I watched him getting pushed back from a bull rush from a 2nd or third stringer. I think they should start looking at others at center. Give all the guards a shot. The main thing is for the center to be aware of where the rushers/tacklers are coming from. Which side to help on when running. He can't just stand there when no one is coming up the middle. I've read that Myers is very good at getting to the 2nd level. That's not nothing. But he does need to take care of 1st responsibility first. Don't know why the coaches seemed to think we were perfectly all right on the O line. Maybe that is where we really need to think about bringing someone in or trading for someone. Have not given up on Myers though. He probably needs some extra coaching. That could be worth it. Go over films individually with him. So easy these days to have someone make a tape of only him.
I remember reading a comment by one of the Packers coaches that Myers hasn't had any real competition since he was drafted and basically handed the starting job at C his rookie season. I'll have to find the article, but I got the impression that the Packers now feel that Myers just needs to be pushed harder. This is only his 3rd year and in his first year (2021) he only played 6 games before being injured, so fans shouldn't lose sight of that.

As of today, if I was going to choose between a starting lineup that included Myers at C with Tom at RT VS Tom at C and Nijman at RT, I am taking the first case scenario and it really isn't all that close.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
If I have to outside I go before 10 am or after it rains. Living in FL is not good for those like you who hate the heat. But perhaps you hate the cold even more? ;)
I miss the cold actually, when it gets somewhat cold here its refreshing. Only time the cold starts to bother me is when I about to get sick.

Reaction score
I'm not expecting a winning season in 2023 but if he shows us he belongs watch out in 2024. With a more veteran cast around him Rodgers went 6-10 in his first season starting for us in 2008.
Yeah I’m not expecting above .500. However if our Defense can finally play at their talent level, I think they can help us hover around .500 and possibly just over that area such as
(9-8 or 10-7)
So that some fans can P&M about his inability to kick into the endzone?
Funny stuff. Second thought I don’t think I can take any more of that! Interesting I must’ve seen 5 Kickoffs not make the Paint in that game. Fire them all! :roflmao:
I got news for everybody, there were Packer fans that bitched about Crosby, his entire career. Give Anders some time and if he is off way more than he is on, then hit the panic button.
That’s exactly what I’m saying. Although I could care less what fans say about our Kickers leg if he’s 86% FGM and 95%+ XPM. I’ll gladly take that exchange and just win games. This is simply my opinion based on what I’ve been watching and reading on him and his brother but my guess is he’s going to need most of a season and there’s a 50/50 chance he’s not his older brother. The reality is that we can’t just wait until after Week 5 or 7 or whatever to realize the plane is in a stall at 5K feet due to our neglect of a known issue that could’ve been quickly addressed and rectified at cheap $$ while we’re still taxi ing the run way. I don’t care if I’m delayed an hour I want the plane de-iced properly.

Then as far as options? we’re really can’t expect Mason to be desperately waiting by the phone to come back without reservation. However if we are considering that, even a little, we’d better plant that seed now.

PS. I always get blamed for being a homer and eternal optimist that agrees with every move we made. So heres a nugget of disagreement I have with Kicker. Should’ve traded back into Round 7 (more to keep our excitement off radar) then PS him for 1 season to bring on gradual. It’s an easy compromise with a well respected Richie Rich. I also think Mason will still sign on relative cheap $$ for a 6 month assignment. Call it $2-3Mil including all incentives. His willingness, emotional attachment or even availability meter will diminish harshly as the weeks go by. The damage may already be done and the more I consider this idea, the more I think this may all be futile talk at this point. I digress and I’ll crawl back in my hole

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
perhaps you are in hell...lol
Our area, here in Texas, is much cooler than Arizona. We're only hitting about 105° to 108°. More "balmy" than hot. ;)

We have all electricity at our home by the border turned off, except the AC. We set that at 85°. Our electric bill for the past month was $184.42. I guess that means it's kinda warm. Up here, in the Austin area, the electric bill is running near $350 a month. It takes a lot of money to keep your kneecaps from melting off.

Status
Not open for further replies.