Packers still not getting credit they deserve

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the bears dont have more players that have a name for themselves and last year all the media talked about was the bears. they just dont think we are that good but thats fine by me because it will be funny when they all feel stupid.

bt_impaler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The commentators talk a LOT about the Packers. It's just that it's always around Favre. Christ, in the Monday night game we played against Denver, they had this hero worship poetry lead by Kornhole(which is ironic since last year he was crapping on Favre) where he had his head buried inside Favre's rear. I have to think Favre has to be tired of it to a degree. Or when watching interviews with the players on Packers.com - you hear the journalist asking "So, Charles Woodson, good game - I liked the interception to seal the game and all, but tell me, how did it feel to be there when Favre threw that touchdown pass to Jennings."

It's actually funny watching the interviews because the players seem tired of it as well. Earlier in the season they were interviewing Al Harris and he responded "I don't care if he throws 3000 interceptions in a game, he's still the best." I like Favre's attitude throughout it all - he seems to care less about his achievements and tries to draw the media's attention to the fact that the Packers are winning games.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe its also in the youth of the team. People refuse to give us credit because of our youth. But i am very happy sitting at 2nd in the NFC.

If we beat Carolina next week, we will be 9-1. With that record, we have improved our record over last year and beat all my expectations. I pegged us to go about 6-10, sooo playoff bound with no free agents-thats awesome. Looking forward, i know one game at a time, but winning as we are, winning at Dallas could very well play the key game for home field advantage in the playoffs.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, both Yahoo Sports guys put us at #3 after last week.
One has us behind the Cows. The other has us behind the Colts. Both have us behind NE, of course.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the pack has to keep riding this wave, this is the time of year when momentum matters the most

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I try to be completely objective it's really hard for me to expect everyone to put us above the Cowboys.

They're blowing out soft teams, we're winning close ones against some soft, some decent teams.

They lost to NE, we lost to CHI at home. I gotta give them the edge there.

Until one of these two teams loses, I can't objectively say that one is better than the other.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're getting plenty of respect from media-types (with the exception of Terrell Davis).

We don't have any big-name, high-profile talent besides Favre, Woodson, and maybe AJ Hawk, who isn't even our best LB this season. People love to hear about guys they're already familiar with, and there not that familiar with Jennings, Jones, Grant, Donald Lee, Pickett, Kampman, Bigby etc.

When these guys start putting up some big numbers year in and year out, we'll get plenty of media-love.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
We're getting plenty of respect from media-types (with the exception of Terrell Davis).

We don't have any big-name, high-profile talent besides Favre, Woodson, and maybe AJ Hawk, who isn't even our best LB this season. People love to hear about guys they're already familiar with, and there not that familiar with Jennings, Jones, Grant, Donald Lee, Pickett, Kampman, Bigby etc.

When these guys start putting up some big numbers year in and year out, we'll get plenty of media-love.

I'd rather have a team then a bunch of big-name media hogs. That's what we are now. We're a team. That's why we keep winning.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Chris Mortenson interviewed by Mike Tirico on ESPN radio today. He mentioned that Mike McCarthy, who was the least-known coaching hire of two years ago, has turned out to be the best coach hired that year. Mortenson said that his colleague Tom Jackson recently spent a day with the Packers, doing a story on their defense, and Jackson was VERY impressed with McCarthy's attention to detail and the tempo of his practice.

This is the sort of thing we started to hear about Mike Holmgren in '94 and '95. There is getting to be a buzz around this team right now. People are slowly beginning to take notice.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
defanitely.... this team isnt under the radar anymore.... this team is for real, and the country is taking notice....

Lexstein

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course they aren't. Besides Favre, Driver and Kampman no one outside Packers fans know who most of these guys are. Jennings is making a name for himself and Grant is starting to step up. But when you have a team full of guys who no one knows and teams with big names of course they're gonna give them more attention.

It's all about the entertainment and ratings in the end. With a team full of guys that haven't made a name for themselves yet people wont be as drawn... just yet. Lets just keep winning and leave all the off field antics to the NFL celebrities while we grow stronger and better as a team.

Just my 2 cents.

Woodson, Harris, Barnett, Gbaja-Biamila, Hawk and others....I would say anyone who knows anything about the NFL knows who these guys are as well.

Scythe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

I've actually heard a lot of "experts" talking about Kampman. You're right about the others though. Except Shaun King talked about Jennings when they were listing under-rated players on ESPN's First Take.