Packers sign rookie quarterback - Thompson

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
For as raw as he is... this might be a really decent find... even if he spends a year on the practice squad... Here is a video of him leading a 99 yard drive... a little play action... rollout... interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TLD2VmMI00

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

The Green Bay Packers signed another undrafted rookie quarterback, Oklahoma’s Paul Thompson, for this weekend’s minicamp and perhaps beyond.

Thompson (6-3 5/8, 216) played receiver for a good part of his career at Oklahoma but last season was its quarterback after projected starter Rhett Bomar was kicked off the team in the summer.

Thompson finished the season completing 60.7 percent of his passes (204-for-336), including throwing 22 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Some teams considered him an NFL prospect as a combination receiver, return man and specialty quarterback rather than as a true quarterback. But General Manager Ted Thompson said the Packers signed him as a pure quarterback prospect.

“We did a lot of work on him there at the end (of the draft evaluation),” Thompson said. “He was at the (scouting) combine as a thrower. He is a good athlete but he also threw the ball pretty well, and you go back and watch the game tape, especially toward the end of the season there at Oklahoma, we thought he played pretty well and deserved another look.”

Thompson’s presence will give the Packers three healthy quarterbacks at minicamp this weekend: third-stringer Ingle Martin, undrafted rookie Jerry Babb and Thompson.

Backup Aaron Rodgers is coming back from a broken left foot and probably will have only limited participation in drills. Starter Brett Favre has not fully recovered from offseason ankle surgery and might not show up for the camp at all.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like a decent project QB. I like the snap he has on his throw, and the accuracy was pretty good. Good mobility, good height... huh.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Yeah... looking at some more clips right now.. and the one thing I haven't seen him do once however.. is check down his progression of reads or look off a defender... seems to lock onto the first reciever or takes off running.

But has the measurables and SPEED :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZdQOVyxmk

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well now we have 5 QBs......thats pretty good if you ask me. I think thompson is pretty good.....hes got height thats for sure....hes the tallest of our QBs, but i havent seen the video of him yet cuz im at school and they have some firewall. Anyone know any good proxies???

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he doesnt look bad at all.

i think on that drive, his recievers helped him out a ton!

and that Cornhusker defense was pretty terrible.

but i like his height, his delivery and he seems to keep poised. could be on to something.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
For as much leadership Stucco brings... he doesn't have the arm strength the play in the NFL... maybe he will hook someplace on a practice squad.. but I doubt it.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well now we have 5 QBs......thats pretty good if you ask me. I think thompson is pretty good.....hes got height thats for sure....hes the tallest of our QBs, but i havent seen the video of him yet cuz im at school and they have some firewall. Anyone know any good proxies???

Me is at school now. stupid padlocks

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
no i mean who is Mark Brunnell?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Click Mark Brunell

Year G GS Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
TOTAL 157 150 4594 2738 59.6 31826 6.93 79 182 106 389/2388 360 73 84.2

He was a backup QB for the Packers for 2 years. Turned into a 'ok' QB. I think he only had a few solid years in him.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hes another one of the QB who served apprenticeships under BF ala Matt Hasselbeck and went on to start on other teams

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just noticed this guy on the roster now:
C PETE BIER #54

6' 3" • 297 lbs. • Army

Exp: Rookie NFL Season, Rookie Packers Season
Acquired: Free Agent 2007
Current Status: Active Roster

Never saw anything announcing this addition, competition for Wells i guess

Tiger

Cheesehead