Packers sign OG Siragusa

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stole him from the Ravens practice squad.

He was a 4th round pick and has lots of upside.

A great pickup. Takes Bells spot who was put on IR.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pros
  • Mammoth guard. Plays to every inch and ounce of his listed 6’4”, 324 pound frame.
  • Thick build from head to toe. Not a “soft” 324 pounds.
  • Uses his hands well to fight off defenders in pass protection or gain leverage in run blocking.
  • Creates holes in the running game.
  • Surprisingly nimble for a lineman his size.
  • Capable pass protector
  • Frequently used as a pulling guard, and played in a zone blocking scheme in college.
Cons
  • Needs to improve awareness and accuracy blocking in space. Too often misses second level defenders when he could steamroll them.
  • Frame might pigeonhole him as a right guard in the NFL. Needs to show his feet and agility in combine drills.
  • Needs to do a better job of sustaining his blocks and asserting himself in pass protection.
  • Generally handles stunts and twists well, but has the occasional mental lapse.
  • Occasionally gets tripped up in the trash at the line of scrimmage.
  • Played out of a spread offense in college. He could have a learning curve adjusting to the NFL game and protections.
https://www.chatsports.com/new-york...ragusa-og-san-diego-state-university-13271121

Reaction score
That’s a lot of man to move at 6’4 324lb! Get him in there!
Seriously though I like I like the fact one of his specialities was “pulling guard”. We’ve been weak in this area and need to utilize our TE seal blocking more while pulling a guard to lead Aaron Jones into the Edge defender and let him work his magic.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stole him from the Ravens practice squad.

He was a 4th round pick and has lots of upside.

A great pickup. Takes Bells spot who was put on IR.
Hadn’t heard that. Sounds like a good move, even if he is limited to playing RG. The right side of the O line needs a lot of help. Spriggs is NOT the guy. He’s had enough chances, and it’s time to admit he wasn’t worth a 2nd round pick (or a 7th) and move on.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He was a run blocking beast in college-- the best of the bunch of a great run blocking line that the Aztecs boasted. His pass protection needed work coming out and his knees have let him down.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hadn’t heard that. Sounds like a good move, even if he is limited to playing RG. The right side of the O line needs a lot of help. Spriggs is NOT the guy. He’s had enough chances, and it’s time to admit he wasn’t worth a 2nd round pick (or a 7th) and move on.
Why isnt Spriggs the guy? Certainly not based on his play, he has been playing well. I think Bulaga will be let go this offseason and Spriggs will take over. Spriggs is maybe a better overall player already.

H

HardRightEdge

So, he's a second year PS guy who missed his rookie year with a torn ACL, MCL and PCL who played in a spread offense in college and has never taken an NFL snap, let along in an NFL zone blocking scheme with unfamiliar guys. It is Wednesday before the third to last game of the season which doesn't leave much time to get up to speed under the liability of zero game or Packer experience.

The Packers could have signed him to the roster at any time this season in place of, say, Alex Light. The Packers might have gone instead for their own practice squad OG except they don't have one. I suppose he could move past Light who saw his only 3 NFL offensive snaps (and 6 ST snaps) last week.

Forgive me for thinking Siragusa will be the last guy off the bench, assuming he's even on the game day roster which would mean 3 guys are out like last week or are on shaky ground. In other words, he looks like a bottom of the bench emergency add for cheap, about $100,000. Gutekunst might have liked him when he scouted that draft class as may be the case with the other former mid-rounders he's been bringing in mid-season. If so, he's getting an an extended tryout to see if he'll be signed for next year's camp after the season, assuming he lasts through the season. Or he could be gone this time next week. Has he lost anything with that knee injury? That would be one of the questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Why isnt Spriggs the guy? Certainly not based on his play, he has been playing well. I think Bulaga will be let go this offseason and Spriggs will take over. Spriggs is maybe a better overall player already.
I'd have to put on some very rose colored glasses to see it that way. He gets killed by good or better edge rushers. As a pass blocker, in his third year, he looks like a formerly good college OT who plays well against one-move, less than threatening, or merely in-kind formerly good college edge players. That's why he looks inconsistent--he's as good a pass blocker as the competition allows him to be.

They should try him at RG next OTAs/camp where his feet and balance are less of a liability. He's added the bulk and his run blocking looks decent.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, he's a second year PS guy who missed his rookie year with a torn ACL, MCL and PCL who played in a spread offense in college and has never taken an NFL snap, let along in an NFL zone blocking scheme with unfamiliar guys. It is Wednesday before the third to last game of the season which doesn't leave much time to get up to speed under the liability of zero game or Packer experience.

The Packers could have signed him to the roster at any time this season in place of, say, Alex Light. The Packers might have gone instead for their own practice squad OG except they don't have one. I suppose he could move past Light who saw his only 3 NFL offensive snaps (and 6 ST snaps) last week.

Forgive me for thinking Siragusa will be the last guy off the bench, assuming he's even on the game day roster which would mean 3 guys are out like last week or are on shaky ground. In other words, he looks like a bottom of the bench emergency add for cheap, about $100,000. Gutekunst might have liked him when he scouted that draft class as may be the case with the other former mid-rounders he's been bringing in mid-season. If so, he's getting an an extended tryout to see if he'll be signed for next year's camp after the season, assuming he lasts through the season. Or he could be gone this time next week. Has he lost anything with that knee injury? That would be one of the questions.

All of what you say is true but in reality these last three games will be auditions for a lot of people. There is no doubt we need help on the Oline and while stealing another teams PS player is not as desirable as getting one of their starters in free agency it's about the only option we have right now. At least he was on a team and not out of a job. The guy was a 4th round pick and I think that still means something even though it was 2 years ago. Losing year to injury for a guy that needed time to develop anyway is crucial. Not only do you have three games you have three weeks of practice to at least get a feel for the guy and if he shows any promise when it comes to free agency he may show some loyalty to a team that gave him a chance on the 53 man roster.

I'm not expecting him to come in and solve any of our problems but IMO it's better than sitting on their hands and waiting for the season to end. We had a guy go to IR and we had to replace him so why not take a look.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm not contending that Siragusa is or will be good, but one correction-- he played in a pro style, run heavy offense at SDSU. And they ran plenty of inside zone in addition to power.

H

HardRightEdge

All of what you say is true but in reality these last three games will be auditions for a lot of people. There is no doubt we need help on the Oline and while stealing another teams PS player is not as desirable as getting one of their starters in free agency it's about the only option we have right now. At least he was on a team and not out of a job. The guy was a 4th round pick and I think that still means something even though it was 2 years ago. Losing year to injury for a guy that needed time to develop anyway is crucial. Not only do you have three games you have three weeks of practice to at least get a feel for the guy and if he shows any promise when it comes to free agency he may show some loyalty to a team that gave him a chance on the 53 man roster.

I'm not expecting him to come in and solve any of our problems but IMO it's better than sitting on their hands and waiting for the season to end. We had a guy go to IR and we had to replace him so why not take a look.
"But in reality" you pretty much just repeated what I said .

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not contending that Siragusa is or will be good, but one correction-- he played in a pro style, run heavy offense at SDSU. And they ran plenty of inside zone in addition to power.
I don't follow college football much until we get to the all star games and the prospect tape so I don't claim to be an expert. Far from it. But the few games I do watch I see little resembling the sophisitication of the pro game. Anyway, I was going by the note in the scouting report above: "Played out of a spread offense in college. He could have a learning curve adjusting to the NFL game and protections."

Zone blocking in college spread is a different animal. And "pro style, run heavy offense" strikes me as an oxymoron.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't follow college football much until we get to the all star games and the prospect tape so I don't claim to be an expert. Far from it. But the few games I do watch I see little resembling the sophisitication of the pro game. Anyway, I was going by the note in the scouting report above: "Played out of a spread offense in college. He could have a learning curve adjusting to the NFL game and protections."

Zone blocking in college spread is a different animal. And "pro style, run heavy offense" strikes me as an oxymoron.

I know it's an outdated term, but traditionally "pro style" refers to offenses that run a lot of 12, 21, and 22 personnel and play the QB under center. That's the Aztecs' offense. Whoever wrote that report doesn't seem to have actually watched him play football.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's an outdated term, but traditionally "pro style" refers to offenses that run a lot of 12, 21, and 22 personnel and play the QB under center. That's the Aztecs' offense. Whoever wrote that report doesn't seem to have actually watched him play football.

That's cause nobody cares about SDSU.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion it's worth a try giving Siragusa a shot as he was a fourth round pick less than two years ago. We'll see if he can provide an improvement at right guard.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Agreed with the extended tryout theme. Wouldn't be surprised to see that he was under contract for next season also with nothing much guaranteed if he were cut loose.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember any prior threads that were centered around a mid-season practice squad acquisitions. Yeah the guy has no experience, but we're just kicking the tires so I don't see the big deal. What is a little unusual is to have a 4th rounder still sitting on the practice squad in his second season. I'm mildly intrigued as usual, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here is a write-up on him coming out by Lance Zierlein who, for my money, is far and away the best OL evaluator in the media.

I watched maybe a dozen Siragusa games over his time at SDSU and this analysis is spot on.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can't remember any prior threads that were centered around a mid-season practice squad acquisitions. Yeah the guy has no experience, but we're just kicking the tires so I don't see the big deal. What is a little unusual is to have a 4th rounder still sitting on the practice squad in his second season. I'm mildly intrigued as usual, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Agreed and this signing would have probably gone virtually unnoticed if the Packers were 10-3 and had solid depth on the OL.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and this signing would have probably gone virtually unnoticed if the Packers were 10-3 and had a solid depth on the OL.

I mean, he was a guy I liked in the draft so I definitely would've noticed and brought it up.

Only problem is he had a pretty big injury his rookie year, he's probably still recovering.

Like somebody else said, this is just an extended look at him. It's a tryout. He's not going to be an active player, but Gute knows this season is pretty much over, so he's going to take a flier and see if he can improve the iOL this way...pretty cheap way to do it too. It will probably amount to nothing, but it's worth the shot.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I wasn't against getting rid of MM when they did. They aren't just laying down the last month of the season because their season is over (I understand that mathematically it is not but lot of chips need to fall in place first) They are trying new things and getting ready for the future. It is weird to think 2nd year in a row, with Rodgers, going to miss the playoffs and I think the organization shares that feeling and getting a headstart on making sure it doesn't turn into 3 years in a row. I am not a college guy, I don't know the first thing to look at and analyze when it comes to OLine play other than an upright QB. So my thoughts on the guy are neutral and hoping for the best. But I do enjoy seeing them attempt to figure something out NOW instead of waiting.

Members online

Latest posts