Packers sign a FB

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

FWIW, the Packers have signed FB Ina Liaina to a two-year contract. I have to admit that I've never heard of this guy.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does that mean they are expecting to lose Kuhn?? hmmm?? theres no need for two fullbacks on this roster. This guy is ALOT cheaper.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Awesome! Now the "Why doesn't Ted ever sign a free agent?"-whiners have nothing to whine about!

:rolleyes:

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably just another camp body. Maybe make it through OTA's.

Though you are likely correct, it's interesting to note that there was another twitter report today that the Pack worked out a different FB before signing this guy. The timing of zeroing in on fullbacks now with Kuhn's contract status is interesting. It could also be (1) plan B in case Kuhn bolts or (2) a ploy to gain leverage on Kuhn by saying we have your replacement ready if you bolt.

Personally, I think it's time for Kuhn to go, especially at the pay rate he was getting. His block on the 4th and 8 was huge and will forever make up for the god-awful FB dives we always ran with him. But, I'm not paying a FB in this offense that much money.

GreenDeath

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though you are likely correct, it's interesting to note that there was another twitter report today that the Pack worked out a different FB before signing this guy. The timing of zeroing in on fullbacks now with Kuhn's contract status is interesting. It could also be (1) plan B in case Kuhn bolts or (2) a ploy to gain leverage on Kuhn by saying we have your replacement ready if you bolt.

Personally, I think it's time for Kuhn to go, especially at the pay rate he was getting. His block on the 4th and 8 was huge and will forever make up for the god-awful FB dives we always ran with him. But, I'm not paying a FB in this offense that much money.

Yeah, it depends on how much he's asking. At 31 turning 32 years old, the years and salary have to be extremely beneficial for us to invest money into him for another few seasons. I love the guy, but it's a business.

H

HardRightEdge

Signing Liaini at this early date indicates they're expecting more than just a camp body. Also, the fact this is reported to be a 2 year deal expresses some level of interest beyond merely filling out the 90 man roster even if none of the contract is guaranteed.

I see where he caught 10 passes for 110 yds. and two TDs as a senior at San Jose St. while also doing a fair amount of special teams work. This suggests a jack-of-all-trades profile as with Kuhn.

I would conclude that the team has either already decided they will not be signing Kuhn or they are far apart on money. So, it's time to start bringing some guys in to compete.

In terms of expectations, I'd view a guy like this, signed in this way, as on a par with a low round draft pick.

Liaini is from American Samoa and had a cup of coffee with the Dolphins last season. Paul Soliai is also of Somoan descent and would have played with Liaini in camp last year. It appears both make their homes in Pago Pago. Draw your own conclusions. Just kidding. Sort of.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing Liaini at this early date indicates they're expecting more than just a camp body. Also, the fact this is reported to be a 2 year deal expresses some level of interest beyond merely filling out the 90 man roster even if none of the contract is guaranteed.

I see where he caught 10 passes for 110 yds. and two TDs as a senior at San Jose St. while also doing a fair amount of special teams work. This suggests a jack-of-all-trades profile as with Kuhn.

I would conclude that the team has either already decided they will not be signing Kuhn or they are far apart on money. So, it's time to start bringing some guys in to compete.

In terms of expectations, I'd view a guy like this, signed in this way, as on a par with a low round draft pick.

Liaini is from American Samoa and had a cup of coffee with the Dolphins last season. Paul Soliai is also of Somoan descent and would have played with Liaini in camp last year. It appears both make their homes in Pago Pago. Draw your own conclusions. Just kidding. Sort of.
Bait to attract Soliai perhaps?

H

HardRightEdge

Bait to attract Soliai perhaps?
I was kidding, sort of.

It's quite a stretch to take up this line of thinking, signing a guy to caddy for somebody who likely won't get signed anyway, but stranger things have happened. They probably like something in the kid fullback regardless; then again everybody likes to have more than one reason for their decisions.

The prospect of being perhaps the only Samoan within 100 miles would have to be seen as a negative. It would appear Soliai does have a strong cultural identification. I've seen references to his being born in the US, played HS ball in the US through his junior year, but moved to Pago Pago for his senior year of HS. I've seen his current home town listed as Pago Pago.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
2 year deals are pennies when there's nothing guaranteed. If he pans out you have him for another year, if not you lose little to nothing by cutting him. It's like the three year UDFA contracts.

H

HardRightEdge

2 year deals are pennies when there's nothing guaranteed. If he pans out you have him for another year, if not you lose little to nothing by cutting him. It's like the three year UDFA contracts.
All UDFA contracts are for 3 years. That is a stipulated requirement of the CBA.

I'm not going to make more out of a 2 year deal in this case than what's there. I already said we should assume no guarantee and the implications of that require no comment.

However, agreeing to 2 years instead of 1 in this case represents an expression of a certain level of interest, i.e., they think the guy has a chance to play and is not around just to fill out a camp practice group.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All UDFA contracts are for 3 years. That is a stipulated requirement of the CBA.

I'm not going to make more out of a 2 year deal in this case than what's there. I already said we should assume no guarantee and the implications of that require no comment.

However, agreeing to 2 years instead of 1 in this case represents an expression of a certain level of interest, i.e., they think the guy has a chance to play and is not around just to fill out a camp practice group.

Probably over-thinking it a bit...but..."OK".

H

HardRightEdge

Probably over-thinking it a bit...but..."OK".
Saying the guy is a "camp body" is under thinking it. I was happy to just state that the situation indicates that he's more than a camp body and leave it at that. Others persist is arguing the point without merit or chipping in with random editorializing. ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No matter what happens with Kuhn, Liaina, or any other FBs acquired this off season, what will interest me is how many FBs, if any, make the 53 and PS. Is McCarthy phasing out the position or not? If not I’d expect more than one FB on the roster and/or PS. Or will FBs compete with TEs on STs and in the offensive backfield?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was kidding, sort of.

It's quite a stretch to take up this line of thinking, signing a guy to caddy for somebody who likely won't get signed anyway, but stranger things have happened. They probably like something in the kid fullback regardless; then again everybody likes to have more than one reason for their decisions.

The prospect of being perhaps the only Samoan within 100 miles would have to be seen as a negative. It would appear Soliai does have a strong cultural identification. I've seen references to his being born in the US, played HS ball in the US through his junior year, but moved to Pago Pago for his senior year of HS. I've seen his current home town listed as Pago Pago.
I was sort of kidding as well but it seems that there are a number of Somoans playing in college and entering the NFL.
It seems like they are bigger than the average bear and pretty good football players.
Maybe that's a pipeline Ted would like to tap into.
He always seems to be thinking outside the box when acquiring talent.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying the guy is a "camp body" is under thinking it. I was happy to just state that the situation indicates that he's more than a camp body and leave it at that. Others persist is arguing the point without merit or chipping in with random editorializing. ;)

ok...I know... it's the off-season for Packer fans so I suppose some of this is to be expected. Thankfully none of the Packer's staff is biased against Pago Pago like they are Canada so ....that's a good thing. lol

H

HardRightEdge

No matter what happens with Kuhn, Liaina, or any other FBs acquired this off season, what will interest me is how many FBs, if any, make the 53 and PS. Is McCarthy phasing out the position or not? If not I’d expect more than one FB on the roster and/or PS. Or will FBs compete with TEs on STs and in the offensive backfield?
The fact he just signed one would lead one to believe he's not set on phasing out the position altogether. He's probably not all that happy with the performances of our TEs-come-Hbacks from the backfield. He shouldn't be anyway. MM also likes handing the ball to the up back often enough to think he'd like having a guy with experience running the ball, something most Hbacks don't bring to the table.

How many probably boils down to the relative talent on hand. If he stumbles on 2 FBs who can run block, catch and play special teams there's no reason to think one of them wouldn't be able to bump a guy like Ryan Taylor.

I'd say the default position, not knowing who would be drafted or otherwise brought into camp, would be a repeat of last year...one on the roster and on the PS at least on an off-and-on basis.

Personally, with Lacy, I'd rather see him go spread / single back a lot more often in short yardage, but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

ok...I know... it's the off-season for Packer fans so I suppose some of this is to be expected. Thankfully none of the Packer's staff is biased against Pago Pago like they are Canada so ....that's a good thing. lol
Yes, you are a Packer fan and added twice to it with nothing but comments about the commenting. I guess I should have expected that myself. ;)

Yeah, the anti-Canada Ryan thing is hilarious.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, you are a Packer fan and added twice to it with nothing but comments about the commenting. I guess I should have expected that myself. ;)

Yeah, the anti-Canada Ryan thing is hilarious.
Make that three. lol ... hey...I'm bored as he## also! :D

Members online

Latest posts