1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Packers sign a FB

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Jan 27, 2014.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,154
    FWIW, the Packers have signed FB Ina Liaina to a two-year contract. I have to admit that I've never heard of this guy.

2. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +333
    Whoopee!
    I used to have an aunt Ina.

3. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +992
    Does that mean they are expecting to lose Kuhn?? hmmm?? theres no need for two fullbacks on this roster. This guy is ALOT cheaper.

4. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,011
    Probably just another camp body. Maybe make it through OTA's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GreenDeath

GreenDeath Canuck

Ratings:
    +11
  6. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +868
    Awesome! Now the "Why doesn't Ted ever sign a free agent?"-whiners have nothing to whine about!

:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Allegedly we had him in for a predraft visit

8. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    Though you are likely correct, it's interesting to note that there was another twitter report today that the Pack worked out a different FB before signing this guy. The timing of zeroing in on fullbacks now with Kuhn's contract status is interesting. It could also be (1) plan B in case Kuhn bolts or (2) a ploy to gain leverage on Kuhn by saying we have your replacement ready if you bolt.

Personally, I think it's time for Kuhn to go, especially at the pay rate he was getting. His block on the 4th and 8 was huge and will forever make up for the god-awful FB dives we always ran with him. But, I'm not paying a FB in this offense that much money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    And that concludes Green Bay Packers free agency 2014... See you guys next year. Same time/same place?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GreenDeath

GreenDeath Canuck

Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, it depends on how much he's asking. At 31 turning 32 years old, the years and salary have to be extremely beneficial for us to invest money into him for another few seasons. I love the guy, but it's a business.

11. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Teddy going CRAZY this off-season wow.
    Wait til March.....

12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    Signing Liaini at this early date indicates they're expecting more than just a camp body. Also, the fact this is reported to be a 2 year deal expresses some level of interest beyond merely filling out the 90 man roster even if none of the contract is guaranteed.

I see where he caught 10 passes for 110 yds. and two TDs as a senior at San Jose St. while also doing a fair amount of special teams work. This suggests a jack-of-all-trades profile as with Kuhn.

I would conclude that the team has either already decided they will not be signing Kuhn or they are far apart on money. So, it's time to start bringing some guys in to compete.

In terms of expectations, I'd view a guy like this, signed in this way, as on a par with a low round draft pick.

Liaini is from American Samoa and had a cup of coffee with the Dolphins last season. Paul Soliai is also of Somoan descent and would have played with Liaini in camp last year. It appears both make their homes in Pago Pago. Draw your own conclusions. Just kidding. Sort of.

13. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +333
    Bait to attract Soliai perhaps?

14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    I was kidding, sort of.

It's quite a stretch to take up this line of thinking, signing a guy to caddy for somebody who likely won't get signed anyway, but stranger things have happened. They probably like something in the kid fullback regardless; then again everybody likes to have more than one reason for their decisions.

The prospect of being perhaps the only Samoan within 100 miles would have to be seen as a negative. It would appear Soliai does have a strong cultural identification. I've seen references to his being born in the US, played HS ball in the US through his junior year, but moved to Pago Pago for his senior year of HS. I've seen his current home town listed as Pago Pago.

15. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    2 year deals are pennies when there's nothing guaranteed. If he pans out you have him for another year, if not you lose little to nothing by cutting him. It's like the three year UDFA contracts.

16. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    All UDFA contracts are for 3 years. That is a stipulated requirement of the CBA.

I'm not going to make more out of a 2 year deal in this case than what's there. I already said we should assume no guarantee and the implications of that require no comment.

However, agreeing to 2 years instead of 1 in this case represents an expression of a certain level of interest, i.e., they think the guy has a chance to play and is not around just to fill out a camp practice group.

17. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    Probably over-thinking it a bit...but..."OK".

18. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    Saying the guy is a "camp body" is under thinking it. I was happy to just state that the situation indicates that he's more than a camp body and leave it at that. Others persist is arguing the point without merit or chipping in with random editorializing. ;)

19. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,904
    No matter what happens with Kuhn, Liaina, or any other FBs acquired this off season, what will interest me is how many FBs, if any, make the 53 and PS. Is McCarthy phasing out the position or not? If not I’d expect more than one FB on the roster and/or PS. Or will FBs compete with TEs on STs and in the offensive backfield?

20. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +333
    I was sort of kidding as well but it seems that there are a number of Somoans playing in college and entering the NFL.
    It seems like they are bigger than the average bear and pretty good football players.
    Maybe that's a pipeline Ted would like to tap into.
    He always seems to be thinking outside the box when acquiring talent.

21. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    ok...I know... it's the off-season for Packer fans so I suppose some of this is to be expected. Thankfully none of the Packer's staff is biased against Pago Pago like they are Canada so ....that's a good thing. lol

22. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    The fact he just signed one would lead one to believe he's not set on phasing out the position altogether. He's probably not all that happy with the performances of our TEs-come-Hbacks from the backfield. He shouldn't be anyway. MM also likes handing the ball to the up back often enough to think he'd like having a guy with experience running the ball, something most Hbacks don't bring to the table.

How many probably boils down to the relative talent on hand. If he stumbles on 2 FBs who can run block, catch and play special teams there's no reason to think one of them wouldn't be able to bump a guy like Ryan Taylor.

I'd say the default position, not knowing who would be drafted or otherwise brought into camp, would be a repeat of last year...one on the roster and on the PS at least on an off-and-on basis.

Personally, with Lacy, I'd rather see him go spread / single back a lot more often in short yardage, but that's just me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  23. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    Yes, you are a Packer fan and added twice to it with nothing but comments about the commenting. I guess I should have expected that myself. ;)

Yeah, the anti-Canada Ryan thing is hilarious.

24. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    Make that three. lol ... hey...I'm bored as he## also! :D

25. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,039