Packers scouting a PF.. yep a Power Forward...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Interesting... very very interesting..

http://www.railbirdcentral.com/2008/04/packers-scout-hard-court-star.html#links

The Green Bay Packers were one of six teams in Kalamazoo scouting Western Michigan basketball player Joe Reitz (pictured) on April 8th.

The Packers took a chance on a University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse basketball player Joe Werner just a year ago, so they're the type of team that seems willing to take a chance.

More than likely, Reitz would be an undrafted free agent at best, so it's not like the Packers (or any team) would be investing much into an unknown player. Just like Werner a year ago, Reitz might be asked to try out for a team after the draft. If a team likes what they see, they could sign him to a contract afterwards.

Draft guru Gil Brandt of NFL.com reports that the Packers weren't the only team interested in checking out Reitz.

Brandt reports, "Six teams -- the Dolphins, Colts, Bears, Packers, Eagles and Chargers -- sent scouts to see a college basketball player who played football in high school and is obviously drawing some NFL interest."

Brandt does not report at what position Reitz may be trying out for, but just looking at his measurables (6-6 1/8, 261 lbs), it's likely he'd make a tight end (also similar to Werner).

Reitz was one of Western Michigan's best basketball players during his time at the school. Throughout his college career, he was one of the MAC Conference's leading scorers and rebounders.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great if a kid who is not going to make it in the NBA still winds up playing professional sports. I like stories like this, if it all works out.