Packers re-sign Ahman Green

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Insiders Blog | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

Ahman Green works out for Packers

Former Packers running back Ahman Green was back at Lambeau Field today working out for the team, according to an NFL source.

They also had running back Dominic Rhodes in for a workout, the source said.

The 32-year old Green, who is second on the Packers' career rushing list with 8,162 yards and a four-time Pro Bowl selection, has been out of football since Feb. 10, when the Houston Texans released him. Green left the Packers in free agency following the 2006 season and signed a four-year, $27 million deal with the Texans in 2007. He played in only 14 games over two years with the Texans due to injuries. He has been living at least part time in Green Bay for the past six months.

Rhodes, 30, has been out of football since he was released by the Buffalo Bills on April 17. He last played during the 2008 season with the Indianapolis Colts. He split time with Joseph Addai and rushed for 538 yards in 15 games (including four starts).

-- Rob Demovsky, [email protected]
http://twitter.com/RobDemovsky

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Hmmm ... Ahman Green brings back some fond memories ... - During his "prime" that man was an absolute Beast ... however he seems highly injury-prone ... - So I'm not sure if this is a sign of positive thinking or just showing how desperate the organisation is atm ?

Perhaps this will entice Grant to be even more competitive ?

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Yo I would be sooo happy if Green came back. Even if he can't run better than grant (even though i think a paraplegic could), atleast Green gave us a lot of smiles in his prime. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green can run the screen plays and catch the ball out of the back field and knows how to get open in the short passing game. Green may fit our O-line needs better than Grant Wynn, and Jackson.

I think the short passing game of our RBs and the screen plays has been a source of our sack problem. 2 or 3 screen plays a game can cool off a pass rush. A running back who can catch the ball can help A-rod avoid a sack.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Green can run the screen plays and catch the ball out of the back field and knows how to get open in the short passing game. Green may fit our O-line needs better than Grant Wynn, and Jackson.

I think the short passing game of our RBs and the screen plays has been a source of our sack problem. 2 or 3 screen plays a game can cool off a pass rush. A running back who can catch the ball can help A-rod avoid a sack.

Certainly right on that one ... however ... question remains ... will Rodgers use him because screen plays are kinda like "check downs" ... >.< and Rodgers so far has been alarmingly (unwilling?) or unaware of those ...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both would be a tremenduous upgrade as a 3rd down backer than what we have.
-
And are you kidding me about RODGERS using screen plays? You know that's a call the coaches make, right? Does it need to be about Rodgers all the time? Man, talk about agenda...

BTW, the screen pass has been terrible ever since MM came aboard. With Favre. Favre can't throw a screen pass? He can. It's just the backs we had couldn't run a good screen and the lineman couldn't play in space...

We should be calling more trick plays, like screens, but don't expect it to be better just because Green or Rhodes are on the team. But they sure will help on 3rd downs, I'll tell you that!
-
P.S.: I think it was Greg Bedard who brought in the idea that Green is just finished, and that we would only be only working him out so other teams might create some interest in him. It would only be a nice gesture, given his past with the organization.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now all we need is to work out Jerry Kramer, Forrest Gregg and Gale Gillingham to improve the o-line.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Now all we need is to work out Jerry Kramer, Forrest Gregg and Gale Gillingham to improve the o-line.

Could they be any worse than Baby Swiss? Should bring em in and have em teach the line how to play the position. Do we even have an O-line coach? Sure doesn't seem like it.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
How is this frightening? Grant has to be the WORST back in the NFL. He trips over the line of scrimmage, falls if somebody pokes him, and plays half the game on his back with the ball coming out of his hands. GIVE ME GREEN!

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is this frightening? Grant has to be the WORST back in the NFL. He trips over the line of scrimmage, falls if somebody pokes him, and plays half the game on his back with the ball coming out of his hands. GIVE ME GREEN!

It is frightening not because I do not respect Green - I loved that man!!! But, it is because TT has now resigned himself to second-guessing his abilities to evaluate talent. He refused years ago to re-sign Green and now finds himself considering signing a back that is finished. Also, he refused to keep Tauscher on the squad until he new exactly where he stood with his boys.

Basically, it sends pretty feeble messages to me. The guys he's let go - he is not replacing them with better players a la Green, Tauscher, Sharper, etc.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Haven't we all been second guessing his abilities to evaluate players? I think this is a good sign, that he's willing to accept he might have messed up, and is now trying to correct it.

It would be nice to get some FRESH talent in, cause I agree Green is "finished" or at least used up. Tausher had an injury that wouldn't allow him to play or practice until atleast October, so there was no use on using a roster spot on him until October, which gave ample time to try and find a replacment as well.

Overall I'm just happy to see SOME interest in changing our running game, because this could ultimatley take a lot of coverage off of Jennings and Driver, and open up some BIIIIIG plays :D :D

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just one thing. He declined to sign Green as a starter, for starter money. Which was a GREAT decision. Now they're considering him as a 3rd down back for 3rd down money.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
^ STILL HAPPY.

We should be passing 80% of the time on first and second downs anyway.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just one thing. He declined to sign Green as a starter, for starter money. Which was a GREAT decision. Now they're considering him as a 3rd down back for 3rd down money.

True, but you've fallen into the trap yet again - putting the salary cap in the stratosphere like it is the ONLY variable in the equation to consider.

I think most average Joe's realized Green's best days were behind him, but why do you and TT seem to prize salary cap space above talent? If Green wasn't good enough then, why is he good enough now? Because he's much cheaper - even though his legs and body are far worse??? See what I am getting at??? Here are some examples of the point I am trying to make: In 5 years, TT still has not found consistent replacements for:
-Tauscher
-Clifton
-Sharper (Collins and Bigby are not Sharper, so stop.)
-Green
-Franks (Good blocker and consistent stats when healthy)
-Flanagan (Hey, our running game simply hasn't been the same.)

These just happen to be the 5 of the most important positions on a football team. So, would you be willing to have given up around 10-20 million over the past 5 years to have some fairly long-term solutions to these positions???

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I take it Hauschild doesn't read Andrew Brand's blog on nationalfootballpost.com

Andrew was in charge of getting Green to stay...

Pay close attention to this..

Andrew said they were were at $ 5 million a year but when Texas went to $8 mill, the Packers went up to $ 7 mill

So yeah its all Teds fault..Ted does things wrong, but when people such as hauschild basing opinions on lies, it makes you look ignorant.

Show us again hauschild how Ted was all to blame here? Even though Andrew even agreed that the price was way to high?

Ahman's Rush to Texans is Downsized | National Football Post

What we did not expect was the aggressive level of contract they were offering, especially 8M in the first year for a 30 year-old running back!

We had been at 5M for first-year money but with the Texans going to this level we reluctantly crossed the 7M threshold for the first year, but wanting 2M of it to be in the form of 45-man active roster bonuses. T

I spent the entire time during my son’s 10th birthday party at — of course — Lambeau field on the phone with Ahman’s agent and Ahman trying to tell them that this was bigger than money, that Packer stars like Ahman have a lifetime pass wherever they go, that he would hold all the Packer records, that he would not like Houston, that he shouldn’t be fooled by all the recruiting, that Mike Sherman would not be there long, and so on. It was all for naught.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it Hauschild doesn't read Andrew Brand's blog on nationalfootballpost.com

Andrew was in charge of getting Green to stay...

Pay close attention to this..

Andrew said they were were at $ 5 million a year but when Texas went to $8 mill, the Packers went up to $ 7 mill

So yeah its all Teds fault..Ted does things wrong, but when people such as hauschild basing opinions on lies, it makes you look ignorant.

Show us again hauschild how Ted was all to blame here? Even though Andrew even agreed that the price was way to high?

Ahman's Rush to Texans is Downsized | National Football Post

You will never see the big picture because you refuse to accept the shortcomings of the Green Bay Packers. And, until you do, you will be in a constant, painful state of denial.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You will never see the big picture because you refuse to accept the shortcomings of the Green Bay Packers. And, until you do, you will be in a constant, painful state of denial.

I know exactly what your issue is, but when a rb that was already 30 and had been injured to the point of not playing for lot of games the past two years wants $ 8 mill a year to stay.... I say good bye and let him walk..I would agree with that each and every time..

Ted does need to figure out who he has to get to replace him and judge that talent right..I will agree with that too..

But if your saying Green deserved $ 8 million a year I say your not as smart as we think

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait...your pissed that now Ted wants to look at him?

So what LOL

As someone said if he is just good enough for a 3rd down back and will only be 800K, whats the difference? If they need or want someone to replace Wynn, wouldnt Green or Rhodes be a good option for that?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait...your pissed that now Ted wants to look at him?

So what LOL

As someone said if he is just good enough for a 3rd down back and will only be 800K, whats the difference? If they need or want someone to replace Wynn, wouldnt Green or Rhodes be a good option for that?

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Why are we wasting time arguing over a "3rd down back" and again, who cares how much or little it costs (means absolutely nothing to winning games)??? Good Lord - haven't we all (emphasis on Gray Goose) bigger fish to fry???

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kinda my point. Why are we wasting time arguing over a "3rd down back" and again, who cares how much or little it costs (means absolutely nothing to winning games)??? Good Lord - haven't we all (emphasis on Gray Goose) bigger fish to fry???

do you think there should be someone there already IN PLACE and they should have to bring in a a RB?

Jason Wilde on milwaukee espn today said it was more to offer relief on the kick off return..

I think that is what he said, I was listening to it online and was walking out of the room as he was saying it..Not sure how it helps to have those two guys on kick off returns tho..

Team is worried that injuries are adding up on that end and want more insurance

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Welcome Back, Ahman Green!

Sportsradio 107.5 out of GB is reporting that we signed him. Apparently it's on the news too.

I don't really know why he's here, but for some odd reason I feel good about it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, baby! Him with one leg is better than DeShawn Wynn. Don't know if he's able to start, though.
-
Of course, we could've kept Tyrell Sutton in the first place...

Members online

Latest posts