Packers re-sign Aaron Jones

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
KC was missing half their OL starters I think. Actually pretty relevant to a lot of topics here.

KC has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR, top 2 TE, 1st round RB, and had other good WR’s. They still got pummeled because their OL sucked that game. So how much did having a great #2 option help them?

The priority for GB this draft should be fixing the OL. You cannot win without a good OL.

Yep.

WR, while certainly not irrelevant, is the most overrated position in the league in terms of importance.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
KC was missing half their OL starters I think. Actually pretty relevant to a lot of topics here.

KC has a top 3 QB, top 3 WR, top 2 TE, 1st round RB, and had other good WR’s. They still got pummeled because their OL sucked that game. So how much did having a great #2 option help them?

The priority for GB this draft should be fixing the OL. You cannot win without a good OL.
I believe I said same thing.

* edit*

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

But some just dont get it

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry. Suggesting a more talented #2 WR would have made a difference is probably wrong. Wouldn’t have fixed the OL. Wouldn’t have fixed dumb defensive plays.

A better #2 receiver might have allowed Rodgers to get rid of the ball faster, helping the offensive line as well.

Just to clarify, I agree it wasn't one of the main reasons the Packers lost the game though.

And even still, it all basically swung on one play-- Jones' fumble. That one play on its own was at least a 7 point swing, if not 14. And obviously the margin in the end was 5 points.

The game actually swung in the Bucs' favor in a sequence of plays that took only 1:40 of time off the play clock, starting with Rodgers being intercepted, Brady's hail mary just before halftime, Jones' fumble deep in Packers territory and the Bucs scoring another touchdown only one play later.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Like your last comment. After looking at this and these threads for so long, I'm convinced the Packers got as far as they deserved. I was worried after they played the Bucs in Week 6, not because of Brady but because of that D. And I don't think the Bucs had Vita Vea in the first game.

Silverstein actually wrote a very good article yesterday about how Gluten is managing personnel decisions, given the cap constraints. It's a really good article, even though it implicitly suggests that FA won't help the Packers. But it does point out that resigning Jones was a FA transaction, and that's the right way to look at it.

Gonna need to have a solid draft, with at least two, ideally three of the picks becoming starters and having an impact on the goal to win the SB (or maybe just the first goal to win the NFCCG.....). From here, FA won't impact the team much.
So apparently you believe that the three drafted last year (plus the others already under contract) aren’t going to improve enough to be successful as starters?

I find it so bizarre that some people here still refuse to consider the possibility that current young players on the roster will continue to improve their game and contribute to the team’s success. It happens every single year here and yet so many still ignore it and think the magic bullets for NEXT season are sitting in Tuscaloosa, South Bend and Ann Arbor.

That concept is so weird to me.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game actually swung in the Bucs' favor in a sequence of plays that took only 1:40 of time off the play clock, starting with Rodgers being intercepted, Brady's hail mary just before halftime, Jones' fumble deep in Packers territory and the Bucs scoring another touchdown only one play later.
That wasn't a hail mary. It was a TD pass. :(

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So apparently you believe that the three drafted last year (plus the others already under contract) aren’t going to improve enough to be successful as starters?

I find it so bizarre that some people here still refuse to consider the possibility that current young players on the roster will continue to improve their game and contribute to the team’s success. It happens every single year here and yet so many still ignore it and think the magic bullets for NEXT season are sitting in Tuscaloosa, South Bend and Ann Arbor.

It's a good point Pike and I just forgot to mention them. Dillon should have a great year, I think Josh D will contribute at TE and HB, and Runyon may well become a starter. And that in fact takes some pressure off the point I made about drafting immediate impact players. Thanks for pointing it out.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry don't agree. He was specifically speaking of the 3 OL drafted last year. None of them were considered top prospects when drafted. Hopefully at least 2 of them pan out. At least one of them is going to have to play plenty of snaps this season even if they find a quality guy somewhere in their first 3 picks.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I really wanted to talk about. I was ticked after the TB loss and the original emotional reaction was good riddance to King and Jones. The end of the 1st half and beginning of the 2nd half haunted me for weeks. Then you get over it and look at things realistically and are happy they re-signed Jones and can tolerate the King signing.
Then I got to thinking what if emotion won out and instead of those 2 they re-signed Linsley and Williams? How much more money would that have cost? Would they be a better team? Would the draft set up better with CB now being the clear need over OL?
Thoughts.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I personally never have much hope for the 6-7th round picks and am pleasantly surprised when they contribute.

Runyan I think can be a quality starter. The rest of them? They either weren’t healthy, or good enough, to be on the active roster. Maybe they can be okay depth next year, but there’s no reason to expect more.

What GB needs is OT depth, and badly.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

What is actually weird is you considering it all but guaranteed that every second year player will develop into a decent starter.

Nobody is denying the possibility of player development but the Packers relying on it is a terrible idea.

He was specifically speaking of the 3 OL drafted last year. None of them were considered top prospects when drafted. Hopefully at least 2 of them pan out. At least one of them is going to have to play plenty of snaps this season even if they find a quality guy somewhere in their first 3 picks.

That depends on when Bakhtiari is back to full strength. If he's ready to start in week 1 and the Packers add a starter via the draft it's not a given Hanson, Runyan or Stepaniak will receive a significant amount of snaps.

This is what I really wanted to talk about. I was ticked after the TB loss and the original emotional reaction was good riddance to King and Jones. The end of the 1st half and beginning of the 2nd half haunted me for weeks. Then you get over it and look at things realistically and are happy they re-signed Jones and can tolerate the King signing.
Then I got to thinking what if emotion won out and instead of those 2 they re-signed Linsley and Williams? How much more money would that have cost? Would they be a better team? Would the draft set up better with CB now being the clear need over OL?
Thoughts.

Well, taking a closer look at the deals signed by the players you mentioned the Packers more or less guaranteed to pay $25 million to retain Jones for two seasons and King for one. On the other hand Linsley and Williams account for a total of $32 million over the next two seasons.

I definitely prefer to have Jones and King but as mentioned in another thread would have liked to keep King for less.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What is actually weird is you considering it all but guaranteed that every second year player will develop into a decent starter.

Nobody is denying the possibility of player development but the Packers relying on it is a terrible idea.
My world is not binary, all or nothing. I generally take the view that some will develop into varying degrees of useful players and some won’t. No guarantees that any of the three O-linemen drafted and those brought in as UDFA’s will be significant contributors but as we’ve seen in similar scenarios in the past with 3 RB’s and 3 WR’s drafted, it generally holds true.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry don't agree. He was specifically speaking of the 3 OL drafted last year. None of them were considered top prospects when drafted. Hopefully at least 2 of them pan out. At least one of them is going to have to play plenty of snaps this season even if they find a quality guy somewhere in their first 3 picks.
Runyon has a good chance. Not so sure about the other two.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aye, captain, did you forget a zero after the 1 when guessing when Bahk is back to full strength ? It will be closer to week 10 than week 1 unfortunately.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aye, captain, did you forget a zero after the 1 when guessing when Bahk is back to full strength ? It will be closer to week 10 than week 1 unfortunately.
Knowing Bakh, it's probably somewhere in the middle. But even if it's six weeks, it's a huge loss. My guess is that Turner will keep LT until Bakh returns, and as we saw in the playoffs, that works until the big dogs line up opposite. It's also why I wouldn't be surprised to see GB draft an OT in the first round, assuming a starter-type is available. But yeah, Bakh's injury certainly has implications beyond last season's playoffs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Historical data on ACL recovery has Bahk back around mid to late Oct. but who knows, could be earlier or later.

One thing is for sure, it is going to be pretty damn important when some of our games fall on the schedule. The Packers are going to be facing some pretty nasty pass rushers in 2021. T.J. Watt, Nick Bosa, Myles Garrett, Chase Young, Chandler Jones, J.J. Watt and Khalil Mack (twice). Also don’t forget about Vikings’ Danielle Hunter who was sidelined for the entire 2020 season with a herniated disk.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

My world is not binary, all or nothing. I generally take the view that some will develop into varying degrees of useful players and some won’t. No guarantees that any of the three O-linemen drafted and those brought in as UDFA’s will be significant contributors but as we’ve seen in similar scenarios in the past with 3 RB’s and 3 WR’s drafted, it generally holds true.

That's a reasonable take yet you want the Packers to rely on at least one of them developing into a decent starter by the start of the season. I don't consider that to be a smart approach.

There's a possibility Bakhtiari will be able to play in week 1, nine months removed from tearing his ACL. I agree he most likely won't be back to full strength at that point.

Knowing Bakh, it's probably somewhere in the middle. But even if it's six weeks, it's a huge loss. My guess is that Turner will keep LT until Bakh returns, and as we saw in the playoffs, that works until the big dogs line up opposite.

I believe it's more likely the Packers move Jenkins to left tackle if Bakhtiari isn't able to play at the beginning of the season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the first 6-8 games will be inconsistent at best in the level of play of the offensive line. I don’t expect to see Bakhtiari playing at an all pro level in September and October. Besides him, losing two other starters is difficult to replace and expect excellent performance consistently as a blocking unit. I believe that was also a strong consideration in the re-signing of Lewis. I’m not expecting a rookie draft pick to immediately solve that problem in September so I wouldn’t be surprised if Wagner or Veldheer were signed in August to provide a stop gap. Runyon’s continued ascent would be greatly appreciated. My greatest hope for immediate relief lies in Adam Stenavich. He was truly a miracle worker last year. If he can bring along some of the guys like Hanson, Stepaniak, Nijman (RFA), Braden and Johnson that would be amazing as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Optimistic? Yes I am just like I was last year that guys like Lazard, Scantling, Tonyan, Savage, Gary, Sullivan and Keke would improve.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Optimistic? Yes I am just like I was last year that guys like Lazard, Scantling, Tonyan, Savage, Gary, Sullivan and Keke would improve.

Don't forget Shepherd, Taylor, Juice Williams, Josh Jackson, Burks, Greene, etc. ;)

I think most of us try to be optimistic, but the question is, how realistic is it for the Packers to rely on some of these guys making the jump?

So in 2021.....who would you expect to make the jump from "barely known to a starter?"

I am going with Runyan, Keke or Barnes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said earlier. Some will, some won’t. The ones that don’t will be replaced new blood.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget Shepherd, Taylor, Juice Williams, Josh Jackson, Burks, Greene, etc. ;)

I think most of us try to be optimistic, but the question is, how realistic is it for the Packers to rely on some of these guys making the jump?

So in 2021.....who would you expect to make the jump from "barely known to a starter?"

Keke and Barnes are definitely not barely known. They played a lot last year.

I think King will start at CB now but I expect to see guys like Hollman and Russell get more experience this year. I’m really hoping that Martin and Garvin make big jumps this year.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

???

KeKe played over 400 snaps last year as a DL. In Pettine's defense, that's a starter.

Barnes was a starter for the majority of the season.

I'm seeing your signature for the first time. If you'd like to find the personal attacks, you may show them. You just don't like when people disagree with you. If that's a personal attack, then well, that's awfully soft.

Reaction score
Agreed. But I think both of us and a few others are wasting our time continually stating the rather obvious. I laugh at those who keep saying "but...but...but the offense led the league in all these categories, how can we be any better? That proves your premise to be false" Pathetic excuse for settling and trying to deflect away from what most of the NFL world recognizes, Adams has been the only legit starting caliber WR for the Packers since Cobb and Jordy left and that hasn't changed much.
Can you just imagine had we drafted another legit 1000+ yard capable WR opposite in the last 2-3 years? Although I will say Tonyan gets props for raising his bar.

I still see us missing that underneath piece Slot WR threat who can punish teams with YAC. We never really got Cobbs upgrade/replacement.

Kadarius Toney could be one draft prospect example of someone who could fill a niche for us. He’s very multi faceted and could be a nice chess piece in this Offense/ST. Him and Tonyan and Davante and AJ and MVS all running rampant would be a lot to ask of any Defense. I just fear he’s gone by pick #62

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Keke and Barnes are definitely not barely known. They played a lot last year.

I never said that they weren't known. I was stating who I thought had a good chance of stepping up their games and thus someone the Packers could rely on. Gary might be in that group as well.