Packers re-sign Aaron Jones

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We finally found the award winning recipe snd it’s not wise to modify those ingredients dramatically or it could backfire.

Dramatically? I agree and I barring injuries, we will see quite a few of the same players on Offense. Will Tonyan be back?

I still would like to see an improvement in the WR Room and that could come in the form of current guys stepping up, Funchess being better than expected, a Free Agent or a Draft pick. We need a better offense when it comes to games against top defenses.

Reaction score
Dramatically? I agree and I barring injuries, we will see quite a few of the same players on Offense. Will Tonyan be back?

I still would like to see an improvement in the WR Room and that could come in the form of current guys stepping up, Funchess being better than expected, a Free Agent or a Draft pick. We need a better offense when it comes to games against top defenses.
The combination of Funchess being an additive and several other incumbent receivers being firmly planted in the system should conceivably make the unit similarly competitive. However it would make sense to go after a WR in the draft since it was ignored altogether last season.

Oddly we performed pretty good last season, so it drops my prioritizing WR. Now that we resigned Jones it drops my prioritizing RB (except maybe a day 3 RB with good upside).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

He missed a few games this year.

Didn’t miss any the year prior.

He missed the majority of his games in 2018 bc of suspension, not injury.

He hasn’t been hurt that much, actually.

For the record, Jones missed a total of four games in 2018, two because of a suspension.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We can have an improved WR room, but Rodgers needs to find them when they are open. We had good enough WRs to beat TB, if only Rodgers had seen a wide open Lazard.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We can have an improved WR room, but Rodgers needs to find them when they are open. We had good enough WRs to beat TB, if only Rodgers had seen a wide open Lazard.

Improved yes, good enough no. One play doesn't not make a case for "this is all because AR can't find open receivers" either.

I won't get back into a 90 page back and forth thread on "did the Packers have a good enough group of WR's or not and everything that goes into what constitutes a good WR". I think if you read enough of what was said on the subject, outside of Green Bay, it was pretty clear to most that the Packers lacked a solid group of WR's.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look around the league at WR groups. GB is in the top half easily.
This signing (which I like) makes last years draft look even worse.
Bright side, it will be awful tough to have a worse draft this year.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon will get the bulk of William's touches. He will likely get 150 to 200 touches for the year. That should net him 600 to 1000 on the ground next year. Don't underestimate the significance of being able to grind out a 3rd or 4th and one with him. While I still can't excuse the Jordan Love pick, the rest of the draft may prove to be ok if Runyan and Martin turn out to he decent starters. I don't mind the Jones signing because he's young with lot of tread on the tires and especially because he's such a great receiving threat. With a less than stellar WR crew after Adam's, Jone's receiving abilities take on extra importance.

Reaction score
True that. We have 10 draft picks and 7 of those prior to the last 2 rounds (7 by close of round 5)
We should also consider being aggressive and offering to package a future 2022 draft pick in the event it ensures locking down a focus player (priority position of interest etc..) who is in earshot of our turn. That in addition to or conjunction with consolidating a day 3 selection this year.

I like we will also have Funchess competing on the cheap for a prove it deal and our 2020, 2nd and 3rd Rounders back in the fold. Adding those 3 guys who missed all or most of last season is like having a draft with a
1-1st rounder.
3-2nd rounders.
2–3rds
2-4ths
2-5ths
2-6ths
1-7th

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mind the Jones signing because he's young with lot of tread on the tires and especially because he's such a great receiving threat.
I haven't seen the number$ but sounds like his deal is easy to get out of down the line. Could he be a trade candidate during the 2022 season as trade deadline approaches? Assuming we draft a competent replacement before then.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers won the MVP award last season but because he supposedly missed an open Lazard on a single play the wide receiving corps was good enough :rolleyes:

No, the Packers wide receiving corps isn't anywhere close to being in the top half of the league.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is very true...Jones left money on the table here. Something I'm sure his agent is not happy about, but you hear him in an interview for any amount of time talking about his childhood, family structure and how he communicates with his elders...not out of character for him to have done this.

According to drew Rosenhaus, jones left money on the table. And I tend to think he's right....but we really don't know that for sure. Obviously Rosenhaus is in position to have that info. But he also has been known to release false information like all agents

This signing (which I like) makes last years draft look even worse.

Aj dillion gonna be a big part of the offense in 2021. Jamal Williams had 150 touches last season...that's alot of opportunities to make an impact

I haven't seen the number$ but sounds like his deal is easy to get out of down the line. Could he be a trade candidate during the 2022 season as trade deadline approaches? Assuming we draft a competent replacement before then.

I'll be shocked if the Packers move on from Jones during the 2022 season. I'd say its at least a 2 year deal with first chance Packers get out of it coming after the 2022 season. Coincidentally at the same point they are likely to either make the decision to go with Love or extend Rodgers...I do expect them to draft a rb or 2 in April. Chris Evans, Jemar Jefferson, Jaret Patterson.

Chris Evans tape is very impressive he looks to be one of those players with a knack for finishing plays, like aaron jones. Also like Jones he catches the ball effortlessly with his hands away from his body and runs routes like a wr. Only this dude is 5-11 216

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aye captain,
I prefer GB WR group to those of these teams
Arz-Blt-Chi-Cin-Den-Det-Hou-Ind-LV-Mia-N.E.-N.O-Gia-Phl-SF-Ten-Wsh

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread WR free-agents were discussed. Fuller-Samuel & TY. The guy I would love to see the Packers get is Willie Snead. When he was in N.O. I thought he was on his way to being a perfect compliment to MThom. He has been wasted in BLT. He has been a willing blocker which GB likes and if playing with a top passing QB again I see a big upside.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones' contract is essentially a 2yr/$20Mil deal as his '23 cap hit is over $19Mil.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So jones gets 20 million over the first 2 years of his contract. About 1 million more than 2 consecutive franchise tags would of cost the Packers...at which point it's any easy out for the team prior to 2023 if they so choose.

He has a bonus due close to start of league year in 2023

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Austin Gayle of PFF was talking about this deal and citing it as a reason why teams should never spend their top picks on running backs.

His argument was basically "if you can get Aaron Jones for 9.5M then you don't need to spend draft capital-- just sign him!"

It's absurd just how stupid some of these arguments are becoming.

Austin... teams can't just go sign Aaron Jones. He never hit free agency. Just like Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Ezekiel Elliott, Alvin Kamara, David Johnson, Chris Carson, Todd Gurley, Austin Ekeler, etc.

Nearly all the good running backs end up signing an extension with their first team. FA is not a good source for the position for that reason, and also because 2nd contracts for RB's are fraught.

It's just incredible to me how some of these analysts will make such clearly poor arguments to support their priors.

The truth is that if you want good play at RB, far and away the best way to get it is to spend a day 2 pick on the position.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just incredible to me how some of these analysts will make such clearly poor arguments to support their priors.
IMHO it's because they're not "battle hardened" in a forum such as this. My brain has callouses and I'm not even one of the more daring posters! ;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers did a great job with this deal.

The cap hits in 2021 and 2022 are 4.5M and 9M respectively. Then they jump to 19+M, but they can axe the deal after 2022 for 6.5M in dead cap and that's it. So this is essentially a two year deal. They're paying for his age 27 and 28 seasons while Rodgers is still the QB, and then they're out.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers did a great job with this deal.
The cap hits in 2021 and 2022 are 4.5M and 9M respectively. Then they jump to 19+M, but they can axe the deal after 2022 for 6.5M in dead cap and that's it. So this is essentially a two year deal. They're paying for his age 27 and 28 seasons while Rodgers is still the QB, and then they're out.

I wouldn't say "and then they're out". If Jones is playing at the same level he is currently. The team would either restructure or try to extend him. Even if Love does take over in 2023 there's no reason to think they wouldn't want aaron jones helping him out.

Also in 2023 the cap is likely to be around 40 million more than what it is today...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wouldn't say "and then they're out". If Jones is playing at the same level he is currently. The team would either restructure or extend him. Also in 2023 the cap is likely to be around 40 million more than what it is today...

I would say they're most likely out. It's hard to see the scenario where they pay big cap hits to a running back in his late 20's as they're probably in the process of moving on from Rodgers.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say they're most likely out. It's hard to see the scenario where they pay big cap hits to a running back in his late 20's as they're probably in the process of moving on from Rodgers.

I'd agree that may be the most likely scenario but I would put it like 60/40.

Jones has only like 782 touches or something. I don't think the age thing is gonna be as big for him as it has been for a lot of other running backs. And I don't expect them to start over using him now especially because of the money and more so Dillion. Who's gonna be a better backup to Jones than Williams was and Williams was pretty damn good as a #2

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd agree that may be the most likely scenario but I would put it like 60/40.

Jones has only like 782 touches or something. I don't think the age thing is gonna be as big for him as it has been for a lot of other running backs. And I don't expect them to start over using him now especially because of the money and more so Dillion. Who's gonna be a better backup to Jones than Williams was and Williams was pretty damn good as a #2

There's little point debating it. Suffice it to say, I see it more like 90/10.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's little point debating it. Suffice it to say, I see it more like 90/10.

Yeah that makes sense because you were against and didn't think they were going to resign him now at the 12 m per number they did...I guess we shall see again

Although, I will say Jones only got 2 million more in the first 2 years than Austin Ekler did...and you said you'd resign him for that deal so...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense because you were against and didn't think they were going to resign him now at the 12 m per number they did...I guess we shall see again

Although, I will say Jones only got 2 million more in the first 2 years than Austin Ekler did...and you said you'd resign him for that deal so...

Well... I was for it, and then the cap shrunk and I was against it.

But I didn't imagine they'd get him for a 4.5M cap hit, 9M cap hit, and then a 6.5M hit to move on in 2023. Had you told me up front that the deal would be so affordable, I would have said it was a no brainer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts