Packers Lions Studs and Duds

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
And what would we do without you to stir it up. I would think that you would be happy to not hear it. Yet, you are disappointed. I am replying to you and already replied to jhawk. What else do you want? I will repeat - Aaron Jones was great. #12 threw 2 dimes. The defense was average or below. Kevin King just lost his job. Special teams are questionable. Tonyan is going to have a big year. It was a win. Anything else?
I'm not disappointed in not seeing the negative posts. I'm disappointed there's not more participation in discussing the positive aspects of a MNF victory.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF MVS is not sprinting like the ball is coming to him; then that is a problem.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and our offense I'm not worried about, it's the our defense for the SF game that has to improve.
Last year the 9ers had a decimated squad. In 2019 you really had to worry about both. Given that Bosa is back and they held Philly to 11 points our offense is not going to put up another 35.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF MVS is not sprinting like the ball is coming to him; then that is a problem.
According to Marcus Eversol said there were several plays where MVS had a step or 2 on the CB. Said if Rodgers had better accuracy and went to him more (including 2 of the plays Rodvers got sacked) MVS could have had a huge night with several TDs.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Marcus Eversol said there were several plays where MVS had a step or 2 on the CB. Said if Rodgers had better accuracy and went to him more (including 2 of the plays Rodvers got sacked) MVS could have had a huge night with several TDs.
Yeah, I was just responding to someone else. Can't believe that would be the case. But MVS was not as open as he was last year I don't think. Maybe they are putting faster DBs on him. If that is the case; he should be able to stop for an easy 15 yarder or just an out pattern. But maybe I am hoping for too much.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yep. Even Rodgers in his presser said he's sick that he missed MVS multiple times. Said he could've had 2 or 3 touchdowns if he wouldn't have missed him.

Those aren't on MVS.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Even Rodgers in his presser said he's sick that he missed MVS multiple times. Said he could've had 2 or 3 touchdowns if he wouldn't have missed him.

Those aren't on MVS.
Your assuming MVS would have caught them. ;)

Reaction score
Duds
Rushing Gary - In 2 games he has done nothing. No sacks Same for Preston Smith.
?? That’s not true. He chased Goff from his position at 6T across the entire backfield and as he tackled Goff he forced a INT to Campbell. On another play I noticed he pushed the LT all the way into the pocket and was ready to smother Goff, it’s my opinion that forced him to quick release and the ball came out (partly due to slippery conditions also). Gary nearly recovered that ball and forced a 4th down.

?? Preston Smith had several pressures including the one he actually hit Goffs arm. That play forced a grounding penalty and loss of down forcing a Lions 4th down.

Both those plays were a significant part of a second half shutout. I understand harping in these guys when they get porous, but it’s unfair to say the D didn’t play a part in this win.

Also I might add.. Slaton’s bull rush pushed the Center so far backwards that when Goff fumbled the C exchange (on the play people are crediting the rain) Goff couldn’t recover the ball because his own man was being pushed back into him so violently. Slaton deserves indirect credit on that play blowing his man up. On review, I noticed Slaton himself didn’t even realize his own effect, he was looking around like he didn’t know what happened. His bulrush was heavily credited for spotting our O at the Lions 25 yard line. Barnes? made an instinctive move to ****** that loose ball, I’ll give him a split turnover there. If either of those guys isn’t fighting or focused on that play? It’s likely Lions ball. It’s more proof that if you keep working hard you’ll eventually create your own chance encounters.

After a tough first half start. King had a TD save on tight coverage, a near INT at Endzone sideline and a nice trip behind the LOS. Late in the game He got embarrassed in that hurdle, but looking back at it? luckily he was downhill aggressive and that play netted a couple.
Stokes had 2 breakups. 1 directly forced a turnover on Downs and the other saved a TD. He did get burned on a corner route for a TD, but that ball was perfectly thrown and executed by Goff and Sullivan, Jaire snd Stokes together can’t stop the perfect throw. That was a thing of beauty, even as a Packer fan that was impressive.

It is true the Lions helped us some on a drive or two. But if you recall we had penalty yardage also. Elgton’s holding, Dillons false start, Campbell’s personal foul etc.. it can be said that both teams could’ve played cleaner.

ST Stud: This Punter we have rocks! You know you have a great Punter when he kicks from his own 14 yard line and angles it to where the receiver flirts the sideline and and nets the opposite 38 yard line no return. The commentators mentioned “short punt”. I got news.. a 47 yard net punt in the rain ain’t short. If that’s short? sign me up a nice short 47 net punt on every punt going forward this season! He’s really precise at angling punts and he’s night and day over that teenager we had. Also K Hill looks great on returns so far. Amari I’m not impressed with thus far.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preston has done excellent honestly in a defense struggling as a whole.

Stop judging OLB off one specific stat line (sacks) - it is naive and ignorant to do so folks.

Reaction score

Stop judging OLB off one specific stat line (sacks) - it is naive and ignorant to do so folks.
I know right. I’ll take 0 sacks in any game that we hold our opponent to 17 points.
I know I know.. it’s the Lions at Lambeau. I agree.
But we’ve got to start somewhere and improvement is improvement, even if it’s modest gains.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we'll have to disagree because I think that what "someone" did with the tackles in that game really blew it.
based on the fact that Runyon “might end up being good”? I’m having trouble following that logic.

D

Deleted member 6794

:(
Passing offense: We were playing one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. They were down their top 2 DBs. We should have lit them up the whole game.

It's unrealistic to expect the passing offense to hit on every single play. While they weren't performing at an elite level by any means the unit was pretty effective for most of the game, ending up with a passer rating of 145.6, scoring 35 points. You will be disappointed the rest of the season if you consider that performance as a dud.

According to NFL Next Gen Stats' MVS has an average of 2.1 yards of separation per target this season, which ranks 88th out of 96 pass catchers with at least eight targets over the first two weeks this season. Last season he was significantly better in the regard at 3.1 yards.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's unrealistic to expect the passing offense to hit on every single play. While they weren't performing at an elite level by any means the unit was pretty effective for most of the game, ending up with a passer rating of 145.6, scoring 35 points. You will be disappointed the rest of the season if you consider that performance as a dud.

According to NFL Next Gen Stats' MVS has an average of 2.1 yards of separation per target this season, which ranks 88th out of 96 pass catchers with at least eight targets over the first two weeks this season. Last season he was significantly better in the regard at 3.1 yards.
The problem with separation stats is a guy can have no separation on a 5 yard curl and the 4.2 yards the next and be wide open 30 yards down the field.

Again, the lions were the worst pass defense in the NFL last year and were down their top 2 DBs. AR is a HOF QB with the best WR in the NFL and one of the best TEs and receiving RBs. It's okay to have high expectations.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
M
based on the fact that Runyon “might end up being good”? I’m having trouble following that logic.
My logic. The key was that L guard position because if someone else played there; then Jenkins could go to L tackle. By switching Turner to L tackle we lost a decent R tackle and put him in a position that he did not play well. And Wagner was just not up to it. The tackles were very bad all game and Turner would have played better at R and Jenkins would have been better at L. I could see trying it what we did, but it was clear early that it was not a good situation. Runyon played decently a couple games before and it is easier to pass block from guard position than tackle. Rodgers would have had more time. So even though Runyon might have been a weak link; still, he would have done less damage imo than was done by our two tackles. Turner showed me that playing L or R tackle is very different for him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUT that is operating under the impression Runyon and/or the team felt Runyon was as good then as he is now. Growth can occur in the offseason, sometimes quite a bit. None of know for sure in such a retrospective discussion.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Admittedly, I didn't watch Preston for most of the night. However, at some point mid-way through the 4th quarter I saw him kind of chase the RB on a screen. He was within a yard or two and just jogged. He 100% gave up on the play when it was right in front of him. I loudly exclaimed that he'd better get his tire rear off of the field, which he did. He came back onto the field a play later, so I watched to see how that went. He exploded off of the line and applied pressure to Goff before the ball was thrown.

While I was disappointed to see him give up on a play, the dude still had fight in him. I'll probably re-watch the game tonight with an emphasis on watching him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preston is playing vastly more snaps than anyone figured or planned with Z out.

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does Aaron look tired and worn down? He looks old, and just withdrawn. Maybe the hair style, or loss of weight? He just didnt have any energy in that press confrence. Do you feel he is just going to coast through the year and whatever happens, is how he will end his career as a Packers?

Reaction score
Each team has an opportunity for growth. GB has plenty of room for growth overall, more than the majority of teams. I think each week buys us needed time to fix issues which we definitely are seeing. A Win is a Win and it’s really important to stay relevant so when we start clicking we’re .500 or better. The playoffs are what matters most. It’s like the old saying “the end justifies the means”. If we go into the playoffs 11-6 or similar, but full tilt like last season? We have a very good chance at another shot in the NFC game.
I don’t believe this team and all it’s offseason snd early struggles will take that opportunity lightly again. This truly may be their last opportunity for a couple seasons. I see the troops being rallied late season as long as there is breath and a playoff game opportunity.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does Aaron look tired and worn down? He looks old, and just withdrawn. Maybe the hair style, or loss of weight? He just didnt have any energy in that press confrence. Do you feel he is just going to coast through the year and whatever happens, is how he will end his career as a Packers?
Those points are very subjective. Honestly, I don't care about press conferences. I respected Sterling Sharpe for not doing them. But now they have to. It seems to me that ARod is looking less to scramble so far. And less running also. But it's going to be a long season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
M

My logic. The key was that L guard position because if someone else played there; then Jenkins could go to L tackle. By switching Turner to L tackle we lost a decent R tackle and put him in a position that he did not play well. And Wagner was just not up to it. The tackles were very bad all game and Turner would have played better at R and Jenkins would have been better at L. I could see trying it what we did, but it was clear early that it was not a good situation. Runyon played decently a couple games before and it is easier to pass block from guard position than tackle. Rodgers would have had more time. So even though Runyon might have been a weak link; still, he would have done less damage imo than was done by our two tackles. Turner showed me that playing L or R tackle is very different for him.
I understand all of that…. but I’m basing my confusion on the fact that you are speculating that Runyon COULD be good in the future. He certainly didn’t have a lot of pro experience at the time and he needed to be good right then… it was the NFCCG after all. I just don’t think choosing to play the more experienced players at that point can be considered to be a mistake.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand all of that…. but I’m basing my confusion on the fact that you are speculating that Runyon COULD be good in the future. He certainly didn’t have a lot of pro experience at the time and he needed to be good right then… it was the NFCCG after all. I just don’t think choosing to play the more experienced players at that point can be considered to be a mistake.
Except after you realize it isn't working out.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except after you realize it isn't working out.
Well we could go back and forth forever on this … accomplishing nothing. Suffice it to say that I am hopeful that you are correct… that Runyan will become a good player.

Members online

Latest posts