Packers hire Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator

Reaction score
Unfortunately Matthews isn't a good player when being lined up inside though.
While I'm not sure the full context of what that implies. I do remember Clay moving to ILB midseason in 2014 and that Defense improved drastically, especially against the run. We were ranked 20-something in scoring just half way through the season and we brought that down to 14th in the final 8 regular season games (which means with him playing ILB we were playing well within the top 10 Defenses down the stretch)

D

Deleted member 6794

While I'm not sure the full context of what that implies. I do remember Clay moving to ILB midseason in 2014 and that Defense improved drastically, especially against the run. We were ranked 20-something in scoring just half way through the season and we brought that down to 14th in the final 8 regular season games (which means with him playing ILB we were playing well within the top 10 Defenses down the stretch)

It's true that the Packers defense performed at a better level with Matthews playing inside during the second half of the 2014 season as well as in 2015 but in my opinion that doesn't prove Matthews being effective playing ILB.

While he definitely benefitted rushing the passer from inside not having to defeat tackles anymore to get to the quarterback he struggled in almost every other aspect required to be successful playing the position. He even finishing two games without a tackle which is unheard of for an inside linebacker.

Reaction score
GB
It's true that the Packers defense performed at a better level with Matthews playing inside during the second half of the 2014 season as well as in 2015 but in my opinion that doesn't prove Matthews being effective playing ILB.

While he definitely benefitted rushing the passer from inside not having to defeat tackles anymore to get to the quarterback he struggled in almost every other aspect required to be successful playing the position. He even finishing two games without a tackle which is unheard of for an inside linebacker.
Wimm, while I don't specifically remember the games he finished without a tackle and his status those games (was he playing injured etc..?), I do know Matthews was 1 of just 4 GBP Players to be elected to the Probowl consecutively during the 2014 and 2015 seasons. I believe a big part of that honor was his level of play at ILB (especially considering it's not even his natural postion). He actually showed how good of an athlete he can be regardless where he lines up. I could care less where he lines up as long as he regains his latter 2014 form, I'm hoping Pettine figures out who to pair him with because that seems to be part of the formula of success. Hopefully it's not Jake Ryan again. Roquon Smith anyone?

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'm not sure the full context of what that implies. I do remember Clay moving to ILB midseason in 2014 and that Defense improved drastically, especially against the run.
Yeah, I mean honestly, as long as the defense plays better as a whole, who cares what an individual's stats are? Clay might, but I don't.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Our defense played better with him there, but I can't find any tangible stats to say he plays well there."

K.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodbye Darren Perry. I am excited to watch the defensive backs not be in mass confusion about the play call next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wimm, while I don't specifically remember the games he finished without a tackle and his status those games (was he playing injured etc..?), I do know Matthews was 1 of just 4 GBP Players to be elected to the Probowl consecutively during the 2014 and 2015 seasons. I believe a big part of that honor was his level of play at ILB (especially considering it's not even his natural postion). He actually showed how good of an athlete he can be regardless where he lines up. I could care less where he lines up as long as he regains his latter 2014 form, I'm hoping Pettine figures out who to pair him with because that seems to be part of the formula of success. Hopefully it's not Jake Ryan again.

I don't give a crap about Matthews making the Pro Bowl as it's solely a popularity vote. While I like moving Matthews around to rush the passer he's definitely not a decent traditional inside linebacker.

I definitely prefer Ryan to play there over Clay.

"Our defense played better with him there, but I can't find any tangible stats to say he plays well there."

K.

Take a look at the tape. Matthews struggles both defending the run and in coverage which is a recipe for disaster playing inside.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no denying Matthews is in decline, and at age 32, he's not gonna get better. He's also not nearly worth his cap hit.
That all said, he's almost certainly going to be here this season, and I think part of the problem is that he hasn't been moved around or used properly. I'm curious to see what Pettine has planned for him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no denying Matthews is in decline, and at age 32, he's not gonna get better. He's also not nearly worth his cap hit.
That all said, he's almost certainly going to be here this season, and I think part of the problem is that he hasn't been moved around or used properly. I'm curious to see what Pettine has planned for him.
Agree that he won’t get better but he might now be used moreeffectively that could result in better production. It appears now that Capers was a master at getting the least out of his players.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It appears now that Capers was a master at getting the least out of his players.

While that is a hunch by many of us, we really won't know for sure until the 2018 season. I doubt the Packer organization and Mike Pettine are fully banking on the theory that all the current defense needed was better coaching.

Reaction score
While I like moving Matthews around to rush the passer he's definitely not a decent traditional inside linebacker.

I definitely prefer Ryan to play there over Clay.
I'd prefer neither. Clay can be unleashed better at OLB, but he's still by FAR better than Jake Ryan at probably every position except Kicker ;)
I think Jake Ryan is a qualified guy off the bench and a solid special teams type athlete. Ryan is serviceable at best and most likely wouldn't start on 25 out of 32 teams (that's being kind). He has done adequate for a 4th round pick, but the guy to watch right now is Martinez.
I wouldn't even be surprised if Jake Ryan gets bumped as a starting LB during the course of the 2018 season

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how Pettine and Whitt are both talking about the need to simplify terminology, and eliminating mistakes. I think we'll see far less coverage mistakes next year. So far the coaches are saying all the right things, let's hope they can do them too.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree that he won’t get better but he might now be used moreeffectively that could result in better production. It appears now that Capers was a master at getting the least out of his players.

Capers used Matthews in a creative way rushing the passer from inside during the second half of the 2014 season, resulting in Clay registering 8.5 sacks over the last eight games compared to only 2.5 while lining up on the edge esrly that year. DC deserves some credit for that.

I'd prefer neither. Clay can be unleashed better at OLB, but he's still by FAR better than Jake Ryan at probably every position except Kicker ;)
I think Jake Ryan is a qualified guy off the bench and a solid special teams type athlete. Ryan is serviceable at best and most likely wouldn't start on 25 out of 32 teams (that's being kind). He has done adequate for a 4th round pick, but the guy to watch right now is Martinez.
I wouldn't even be surprised if Jake Ryan gets bumped as a starting LB during the course of the 2018 season

While I agree that Martinez has passed Ryan on the depth chart there's no doubt in my mind that both are more talented inside linebackers than Matthews.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Capers used Matthews in a creative way rushing the passer from inside during the second half of the 2014 season, resulting in Clay registering 8.5 sacks over the last eight games compared to only 2.5 while lining up on the edge esrly that year. DC deserves some credit for that.
Yes. Second half of 2014. Thank you Dom Capers for that. No thanks for not getting better production in 15,16 and 17. Obviously mishandled Raji, Hyde, Hayward and Randall. I blame Thompson for Dix. Definitely not a 1st round calibre pick imo (in retrospect). Looks like a round 3-4 pick to me. Four years in and he has multiple holes in his game.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While that is a hunch by many of us, we really won't know for sure until the 2018 season. I doubt the Packer organization and Mike Pettine are fully banking on the theory that all the current defense needed was better coaching.
Agree. With how Pettine wants the defense to look, I imagine he’ll want a few changes in personnel. I hope he’s not a Capers clone.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Second half of 2014. Thank you Dom Capers for that. No thanks for not getting better production in 15,16 and 17. Obviously mishandled Raji, Hyde, Hayward and Randall. I blame Thompson for Dix. Definitely not a 1st round calibre pick imo (in retrospect). Looks like a round 3-4 pick to me. Four years in and he has multiple holes in his game.

Look at the 2014 draft. Positionally, I don't think any safeties after him are better. Even out of position, who are we taking instead?

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't get me wrong, it was about time for the Packers to fire Capers but he deserves credit for using Matthews in a perfect way during the second half of the 2014 season.

While Clinton-Dix struggled at times last season I disagree with your overall evaluation of him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews should be released. He has been getting paid like 15 mil a year, and I remember just as many pathetic tackle attempts leading to big plays, as I do him making big plays.

He missed 1/3 of the season every year. It's not like we don't know what will happen of he leaves.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mathews should be released. He has been getting paid like 15 mil a year, and I remember just as many pathetic tackle attempts leading to big plays, as I do him making big plays.

He missed 1/3 of the season every year. It's not like we don't know what will happen of he leaves.

You mean like become a Pro Bowler in New England? ;)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to try using facts when they're available, he's missed 17 out of 144 regular season games, an average of 1/8, not 1/3.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure, he's overpaid...but if we cut him, who do we replace him with? We still need him, and he's still a good player.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sure, he's overpaid...but if we cut him, who do we replace him with? We still need him, and he's still a good player.

That to me is the conundrum in a nutshell, "who do we replace him with?". Currently, the Packers do not have anyone on the roster that appears to be able to come close to beating Matthews out at the position. I'm sure every team can go down its current roster and find quite a few guys who are being overpaid (and underpaid), so do you cut every overpaid player and start over? Obviously, you have to consider the amount of $$ that the players is being overpaid by and where you are on your cap and depth behind said player. Matthews should only be cut if they can use the saved money to improve the position. But weakening the position just to save some cap money, doesn't make sense when your defense is already in need of improvement.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft, free agency and trades are just ahead. That's how you replace people.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The draft, free agency and trades are just ahead. That's how you replace people.

Reverse that order, but yes. ;) I would prefer getting to the draft with your 22 starters and almost as many backups in place. Use the draft for building depth and addressing needs beyond the upcoming season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cut him and save some money, now you have to replace him. Sure he's overpaid, and had he played last year like the previous year I'm sure they probably would be cutting him. But he did have a pretty decent year. Not 14 sacks and probowl year, but he was more active and important than his sack numbers tell you he was. He played well. Now last I looked at the FA list, which will change a lot by the time it matters, nothing got me too excited and to get someone that is going to be that 12-14 sack guy you're going to pay a lot more than what we're paying Matthews. I think on a decent team defense, using Matthews correctly, he's still around a 10 sack a year guy and his backside rushing defense is still very good. He has the effort and skill to still be a big part of this defense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts