Packers hire Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't want to play devil's advocate but theoreticall the Packers defense could get even worse as well.

Same, worse....it really won't matter. If the Packers defense doesn't improve, not even the great Aaron Rodgers will get them to the SB. There are too many teams with high powered offenses and solid defenses in the playoffs for the Packers to expect to go very far without a solid defense of their own.

D

Deleted member 6794

Another interesting thing to note are the defensive DVOA rankings.

In 2011, the Jets were 2nd in the league. In 2012, they were 10th. I believe in his lone year in Buffalo, they were 5th.

I don’t really know the reason for the discrepancy, but I generally think the DVOA metric is a good one. Perhaps the scoring defense was out of whack due to terrible offenses in both those places? He’s never actually coached a team with a good offense. It will be interesting to watch what happens when he has a vengeful Rodgers manning the other unit.

While the DVOA ranking isn't perfect by any means I agree that it definitely presents a better metric to evaluate Pettine's work than solely looking at points allowed.

You're right that he never had the benefit of having even an above average offense as according to Football Outsiders his teams averaged to finish 24th in DVOA.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same, worse....it really won't matter. If the Packers defense doesn't improve, not even the great Aaron Rodgers will get them to the SB. There are too many teams with high powered offenses and solid defenses in the playoffs for the Packers to expect to go very far without a solid defense of their own.
The defense is going to improve. I don't know about the pass rush (though I think Clark will be even better), but the corners will be better (may take a couple games to be at their best), and if the new linebacker pans out...that would really help.

D

Deleted member 6794

The defense is going to improve. I don't know about the pass rush (though I think Clark will be even better), but the corners will be better (may take a couple games to be at their best), and if the new linebacker pans out...that would really help.

I agree that it's realistic to assume the cornerbacks to perform significantly better than over the past two seasons. I don't expect Burks to have a significant impact though.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much criticism of Capers watching the games from the press box instead of being on the sideline... and now Pettine is going to do the same thing.

https://www.packers.com/news/mike-pettine-takes-big-picture-approach-to-play-calling

"For that reason, the Packers’ new defensive coordinator confirmed to reporters last week he plans to call games from the press box this season. He feels the aerial view allows him to properly make calls and adjustments throughout the course of a game."

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much criticism of Capers watching the games from the press box instead of being on the sideline... and now Pettine is going to do the same thing.

https://www.packers.com/news/mike-pettine-takes-big-picture-approach-to-play-calling

"For that reason, the Packers’ new defensive coordinator confirmed to reporters last week he plans to call games from the press box this season. He feels the aerial view allows him to properly make calls and adjustments throughout the course of a game."
I don't care where they call it from really.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

I noticed it during the 1st game but forgot to mention it. Announcers brought it up.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

A lot of the criticism for Capers doing so was 1. his defense's getting torched on a regular basis and 2. looking like he just woke up from a nap when the cameras catch a shot of him up there.

I don't care if Pettine calls games from his hot tub on his back porch if it results in the Packers defense turning into, at the very least, a solid and reliable unit.

H

HardRightEdge

Nobody's perfect. ;)

Seriously, Capers came across as a cerebral, low emotion guy. If Pettine's energy is contagious to his coaches who maintain energy and focus on the sidelines, it might work out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody's perfect. ;)

Seriously, Capers came across as a cerebral, low emotion guy. If Pettine's energy is contagious to his coaches who maintain energy and focus on the sidelines, it might work out.
Agree, although that’s also the reason (high energy) I’d rather see Pettine on the field. Not sure how many DCs work from the press box. I guess that would be an interesting stat for someone to uncover.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like bad juju, although I guess we got our last Super Bowl win with Capers up there. Can't help but feel a little disappointed though.

Reaction score
It wasn’t as much an issue for me game to game ... until our Defense began having consecutive seasons of poor Defensive performance. I just felt like Capers could’ve done a better job rallying the players on the sideline and being engaged. It may have also been out of frustration of just wanting to see change. Particularly in big games, playoffs etc..
Pettine gets a pass with me unless he starts putting together a Capers Style 31st ranked passing program. If that happens.. I want him so close to the field that the refs have to warn him to step back.
Then again maybe I’m just from OldSchool 101. Activity breeds activity

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As long as they have some Kevin Greene type guy down there lighting a fire under the players backsides, I don't really care where Pettine is coaching from. However, if the defense is sucking hind teet and all we see is Clay whipping his hair around and some jawing and finger pointing from the other 10.....time to put Pettine on the sideline.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of the coach being on the sideline, it provides instant accountability.
But I suppose Pettine knows what he's doing, got to give him his chance.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as they have some Kevin Greene type guy down there lighting a fire under the players backsides, I don't really care where Pettine is coaching from. However, if the defense is sucking hind teet and all we see is Clay whipping his hair around and some jawing and finger pointing from the other 10.....time to put Pettine on the sideline.
Well said. Personally, I’d rather see the coordinators on the field. They can put other guys in the press box for a vantage point, and it seems they get pics on the Surface devices immediately on the field.