Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Bottom line for me. The Transfer portal and NIL Money has changed the landscape of College Football forever. Until they figure out a better way to regulate both, the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. Basically, the Powerhouse programs are going to get the best proven players.

Back to Hafley. I actually am more and more impressed with this guy as I read more about him. I wouldn't be surprised if Gute drafts one of his former players at OSU or BC either. One guy that jumps out at me, who Hafley coached at OSU is DE Javontae Jean-Baptiste. I remember seeing him play at OSU and thought "Oh great (eye roll), the Buckeyes have another NFL caliber DE!"

I am really hoping that the Packers finally landed a great DC, it could propel this team to a SB a lot faster than anyone would have anticipated.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line for me. The Transfer portal and NIL Money has changed the landscape of College Football forever. Until they figure out a better way to regulate both, the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. Basically, the Powerhouse programs are going to get the best proven players.

Back to Hafley. I actually am more and more impressed with this guy as I read more about him. I wouldn't be surprised if Gute drafts one of his former players at OSU or BC either. One guy that jumps out at me, who Hafley coached at OSU is DE Javontae Jean-Baptiste. I remember seeing him play at OSU and thought "Oh great (eye roll), the Buckeyes have another NFL caliber DE!"

I am really hoping that the Packers finally landed a great DC, it could propel this team to a SB a lot faster than anyone would have anticipated.

A great offense will take a team far in the regular season. In the playoffs, it seems the teams with the best D win. That certainly seems to have been true in the SB. This year is a good example. KC had a sold offense, Patrick Mahomes makes sure of that. Their D was superb and largely responsible for getting them another Lombardi.

Rodgers and Favre rarely played with great defensive units. Sometimes it came down to the inability to make one stop with a game on the line.

So yeah, I hope Hafley is the real deal. It's been a long time since GB had a great DC.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the final four games this year and they were very good. I suppose that will get better as they put more teams in the running. Bowl games have sure taken a hit. Not like it used to be at all. Especially, imho, because it is all about how much money they can make and not for only the teams with better records. Or maybe conference winners. It was bound to happen. Like too many bs bowl games. But I sure believe that Universities should be for the students. That's where the money should go. To hell with the rich and powerful alums that can't think of a better place to put their money.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean; OK, guys, welcome to Wisconsin, and I'm glad to have you... but what do you want here? It's not like we're a Top 5 or even Top 10 team who's in the BCS every year..... what's in it for you?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This article is a few years old but probably still relevant.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the final four games this year and they were very good. I suppose that will get better as they put more teams in the running. Bowl games have sure taken a hit. Not like it used to be at all. Especially, imho, because it is all about how much money they can make and not for only the teams with better records. Or maybe conference winners. It was bound to happen. Like too many bs bowl games. But I sure believe that Universities should be for the students. That's where the money should go. To hell with the rich and powerful alums that can't think of a better place to put their money.
The BCS and now the CFP were the beginning of the end for relevant/traditional bowl games. The Rose Bowl was always the Big Ten champ versus the PAC 12 champ. And it meant something.

Now I like that there is at least a better way to determine a national champ on the field rather than polls. It's still at least somewhat subjective as to who gets in the CFP, but probably 80% accurate.

So now we're stuck with a million bowl games, star players don't play ahead of the draft, and so the CFP is about all worth watching. Yeah some of the games present some good matchups, but that's more by luck than design.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t wanna face the wrath of the thread enforcers, but is there any interest in Green Bay signing Devin White.

Along with Quay Walker and with the release of D Campbell, White offers a young veteran with championship experience at OLB.

A veteran defense supplementing (hopefully) a potent youthful offense sounds like a great recipe.

As the defense ages, the offense will mature, and GB will have developed an organizational philosophy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t wanna face the wrath of the thread enforcers, but is there any interest in Green Bay signing Devin White.

Along with Quay Walker and with the release of D Campbell, White offers a young veteran with championship experience at OLB.

A veteran defense supplementing (hopefully) a potent youthful offense sounds like a great recipe.

As the defense ages, the offense will mature, and GB will have developed an organizational philosophy.
I liked that idea too, until someone pointed out that he's a head case. He has the athletic profile of an outstanding LB and a SB ring. Just sounds like he wouldn't fit in with the Packers, or maybe a lotta teams. Kinda telling that he's still available.

If he stays unsigned long enough, he may be willing to sign a one-year "prove it" deal. I'm not sure. Once a head case.....

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked that idea too, until someone pointed out that he's a head case. He has the athletic profile of an outstanding LB and a SB ring. Just sounds like he wouldn't fit in with the Packers, or maybe a lotta teams. Kinda telling that he's still available.

If he stays unsigned long enough, he may be willing to sign a one-year "prove it" deal. I'm not sure. Once a head case.....

Do have any sources?

This is the 1st time I heard of this…

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do have any sources?

This is the 1st time I heard of this…
Just hearsay from the forum, and I had not heard that either. I think he was a first round pick by the Bucs and I thought he played up to his billing. It is strange that he's still unsigned though. Then again, he may be looking for too much money.

And after Jacobs and McKinney, I don't think Gluten has big money left. He's also likely thinking he can fill the rest of the holes via the draft - OT, another S, LB, Edge. But a proven LB would certainly be good for the team.

Maybe someone else can chime in on White.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just hearsay from the forum, and I had not heard that either. I think he was a first round pick by the Bucs and I thought he played up to his billing. It is strange that he's still unsigned though. Then again, he may be looking for too much money.

And after Jacobs and McKinney, I don't think Gluten has big money left. He's also likely thinking he can fill the rest of the holes via the draft - OT, another S, LB, Edge. But a proven LB would certainly be good for the team.

Maybe someone else can chime in on White.
I heard he was demanding ridiculous money - over $20M per year. He isn't near worth it IMHO. He is a great team leader and I thought he was an interesting character pre-draft. Seems to have changed. Saw where Mike Daniel's tweeted if the Pack signs him they will be SB bound or something similar. Didn't watch much Bucs, but I thought White got benched for a while though he was healthy. Think it's a pass except for a get-your-head-out-of-your-**** 1 year vet min deal.

Ps every time I see your posts I think of the Hendrix song and when I read it, it's in Jimmy's voice.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard he was demanding ridiculous money - over $20M per year. He isn't near worth it IMHO. He is a great team leader and I thought he was an interesting character pre-draft. Seems to have changed. Saw where Mike Daniel's tweeted if the Pack signs him they will be SB bound or something similar. Didn't watch much Bucs, but I thought White got benched for a while though he was healthy. Think it's a pass except for a get-your-head-out-of-your-**** 1 year vet min deal.

Ps every time I see your posts I think of the Hendrix song and when I read it, it's in Jimmy's voice.
OMG that's hilarious! What a great song - and musician.

And yeah if White is looking for $20 mil/year he'll be looking for a while. I liked him a lot pre-draft and thought he was holding his own in TB. We'll see, but I think the splash signings are over for the Packers. Nice to finally have some cap space to carry.