Packers hire Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator

OP
OP
C-Lee

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really sure what to think, but anything is better than Capers, right?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the part where the Head Coach having to answer directly to the Team President comes in handy. Because Murphy should be saying "WTF?!". But of course Murphy knows nothing about football so.....

OP
OP
C-Lee

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His previous stints as a DC were 2009-2012 with the Jets (1, 3, 5, 8 in total yards)

2012-2013 for the Bills where they were top 10 in total yards

He also managed to win 7 games for the Browns.... I could be in on this, but it'll really be a wait and see. Same with Gute.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the signing. Fangio was top priority, but Pettine is a great hire as well. His previous stints as DC have been incredibly successful, mostly using attacking 34 defenses, even with unconventional front 7 sets.

I'm happy with the offseason so far.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont think they would make that announcement without interviewing the others. Unless they know the others are staying put. Its not like he is going anywhere. He hasnt coached in a couple yrs.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a really good track record and will be a no nonsense guy. I wanted fangio but Pettine has been really solid as a dc. He has been out of football since coaching the browns. What has he been doing?

So he has had a top 10 defense every year as a dc. The packers haven't had a top ten defense since 2010

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this because he's had a great track record with the Jets and Bills, but I'm also a little concerned because his run defenses weren't that good. He also had an elite Revis with the Jets. However, he seems to be really good at adjusting schemes to fit his players, unlike Capers. I guess we'll see, but I'm definitely excited to see where we go from here.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what he was doing, dont think he coached anywhere. He wasnt the guy i was hoping for but he is better than any internal hire.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am good with the hire. As pointed out above, his defenses have consistently been Top 10 and not just a season or two. If he could do anything decent in CLE, I like his chances of putting a solid D on the field in GB. People hear the word Browns and start assuming before even giving the guy a fair shake. The guys done it before and I'm betting he will do it again. I'm so freaking excited to see a different scheme next year!!!

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we like this or... And if so let's start the off-season planning. What's first now that the suits are tailored and ready to go?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I am good with the hire. As pointed out above, his defenses have consistently been Top 10 and not just a season or two. If he could do anything decent in CLE, I like his chances of putting a solid D on the field in GB. People hear the word Browns and start assuming before even giving the guy a fair shake. The guys done it before and I'm betting he will do it again. I'm so freaking excited to see a different scheme next year!!!

Bill Belichick had a losing record with the Browns.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers still need to fill out the staff on offense and defense, but the major pieces are now in place:

GM: Brian Gutekunst
EVP: Russ Ball
OC: Joe Philbin
DC: Mike Pettine

Quite the offseason so far. I can hardly wait until Free Agency!

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
The only thing I think that makes Fangio better is his recent success while Pettine hasn't had an NFL job since being fired after the 2015 season.
edit: apparently he had a job

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
His previous stints as a DC were 2009-2012 with the Jets (1, 3, 5, 8 in total yards)

2012-2013 for the Bills where they were top 10 in total yards

He also managed to win 7 games for the Browns.... I could be in on this, but it'll really be a wait and see. Same with Gute.

Pettine was actually 10-22 with the Browns. I would say that is like Super Bowl quality in Cleveland!

Here are the DVOA rankings of each of the teams for which Mike Pettine was the defensive coordinator:

2009 (NYJ) - 1
2010 (NYJ) - 5
2011 (NYJ) - 2
2012 (NYJ) - 9
2013 (BUF) - 4

He has been out of Football for 2 years, this might make him eager, hungry and ready to get back to work! So far I like what I am reading about the guy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Last year he was a defensive consultant with the Seahawks.

I like that he was getting an exposure to a defense that’s so different from what he’s run in the past. He’s already very multiple, so I think we can expect more of the same.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very glad they didn't go internal. Have to rid ourselves of the Capers' stank completely.

Certainly has a good track record. Excited to see how the new defensive leadership will do with our talent.

Welcome DC Pettine!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Cant wait till people start *****ing and moaning if he has a bad game. The question is will his Fire thread be as long as Capers?

I like the hire he has continued success.

I am surprised Dom Capers hasnt had anyone hire him yet.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine won 10 games over two seasons with the Clowns. Thats ten times as many wins as his successor! 1000% better. He has a lot of experience as a dc with superb results. We'll see but I think he is a very good pick.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Absolutely love this hire. Totally out of left field. Every team he's been associated with as an assistant has been defensive oriented. From Billick's Ravens, to Harbaugh's Ravens, to the Jets, to the Bills, to being involved with the Seahawks.

This is a guy that will immediately command the respect of the defense. He will instill a hard nosed identity right away.

Considering Fangio and Bradley were off the table (reportedly staying with their respective teams), this is a home run hire.

Starting to get excited.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He was one of several quality candidates out there. It was a good year to fire your DC. I have to wonder if part of the reason that Capers lasted as long as he did, in addition to an institutional belief in continuity, is because the team was almost always finishing their season in the playoffs after most of the firing and hiring had taken place. It’s hard to find worthy candidates that haven’t been spoken for after the first ~2 weeks of black Monday.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
His last year with the Browns, the scoring defense was abysmal at 29th, but he had them at 9th his first year, which is quite impressive given the team he was working with.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Last year he was a defensive consultant with the Seahawks.

Not sure how connected he is with the Players in Seattle, but they have a lengthy (17) list of potential FA's :D

Jimmy Graham TE 31
Luke Joeckel G 26
Eddie Lacy RB 27
Sheldon Richardson DT
Bradley McDougald SS
Luke Willson TE 27
Michael Wilhoite ILB
Deshawn Shead FS
Paul Richardson WR
Blair Walsh K 27
Marcus Smith DE
Oday Aboushi G
Byron Maxwell CB
Terence Garvin ILB
Austin Davis QB 28
Matt Tobin G 27
Dewey McDonald OLB 27

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not sure how connected he is with the Players in Seattle, but they have a lengthy (17) list of potential FA's :D

Jimmy Graham TE 31
Luke Joeckel G 26
Eddie Lacy RB 27
Sheldon Richardson DT
Bradley McDougald SS
Luke Willson TE 27
Michael Wilhoite ILB
Deshawn Shead FS
Paul Richardson WR
Blair Walsh K 27
Marcus Smith DE
Oday Aboushi G
Byron Maxwell CB
Terence Garvin ILB
Austin Davis QB 28
Matt Tobin G 27
Dewey McDonald OLB 27

There’s a lot of trash on the list though.

Members online

Latest posts