Packers hire Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was one of several quality candidates out there. It was a good year to fire your DC. I have to wonder if part of the reason that Capers lasted as long as he did, in addition to an institutional belief in continuity, is because the team was almost always finishing their season in the playoffs after most of the firing and hiring had taken place. It’s hard to find worthy candidates that haven’t been spoken for after the first ~2 weeks of black Monday.

Yeah but they could have gone with an interim DC for just such an occasion.

Reaction score
2014 was our last semblance of an above average Defense and look how close we came.
If we are able to get into the top 10 on Defense we will be dangerous. By the looks of it, Mike Pettine will give us a much better chance of it.
Another great signing ! GPG!!

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Translation: I'm too lazy to back up my statements, so I'll just insult your intelligence to boost my position.

I assume you're talking about their 2015 defense. Jim O'Neill was the Browns DC that year. Fun fact: when defensive coordinators become head coaches they do NOT continue to fill the defensive coordinator role. Who knew?!

Aaaand if there was any doubt, you just removed it.

I provided facts in the last message on this topic, however THIS is an example of you being too lazy to locate it. You're an absolute nobody, so I'm not doing any extra work just for you....sorry.

FUN FACT! MANY head coaches still technically "fill the role" as play callers on offense or on defense depending on their background. Jack Del Rio hired Ken Norton Jr. to be his DC in Oakland, however it was made clear that Del Rio would still implement the scheme and put together the game plans on defense every Sunday. Now I don't know if you're deliberately trying to act clueless at this point, or if you just come by it naturally because you clearly don't keep up on what goes on around the league besides what happens in Green Bay. You may as well stop while you're behind at this point my man.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just found that Bradley is staying with chargers 3yr extension. Vic sounds like he is staying with bears. This explains why we decided so fast.

Bradley yes. But Fangio sounds like he's staying with the Bears since the Packers and Chargers aren't interested in him anymore.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're an absolute nobody, so I'm not doing any extra work just for you....sorry.

And just exactly who the hell do you think you are, pray tell?

FUN FACT! MANY head coaches still technically "fill the role" as play callers on offense or on defense depending on their background.

If you don't understand the amount of work that goes into head coaching and fail to understand the fact that there simply aren't enough hours in the day to do both jobs, that's on you. Why the hell do you think coordinator positions even exist?

BTW, since you're such a self-professed expert on all things, why don't you explain in greater detail how the Packers had Fangio and Bradley for the taking? Maybe you could grace us all with a small crumb of the vast knowledge you have of the inner workings of the Packers, Chargers and Bears coaching discussions. Please present facts, because your unfounded speculations do not equate.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So obviously Fangio and Bradley were not available. Bradley extended with the Chargers and Nagy does everything Fangio and I dont blame him. If you believe it or not, not every person, that doesnt come to the Packers, is a F***- up by the front office.
Bradley rumours came sudden and I felt they were unrealistic and Fangio is not the better option compared to Pettine imo.
Pettine has a more than decent track-record when being a DC and even as a HC in Cleveland, he got a 10-22 record and that is damn impressive.
He brings a Ryan-style defense and that sounds pretty awesome. And to be honest, with AR12 running the offense, we dont need an elite defense for a possible SB-run. Look at 2014, we had a slightly above average D and we nearly made it. I think an overall top 15 defense could be a big improvement given, that we made the playoffs in all these years where Capers Defense sucked really big

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

And to be honest, with AR12 running the offense, we dont need an elite defense for a possible SB-run.

Sorry, are you serious ???.Sure we have an elite QB, but he won`t be around for ever. Of course we need a decent defense.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this because he's had a great track record with the Jets and Bills, but I'm also a little concerned because his run defenses weren't that good. He also had an elite Revis with the Jets. However, he seems to be really good at adjusting schemes to fit his players, unlike Capers. I guess we'll see, but I'm definitely excited to see where we go from here.

I read he's a big reason Revis was elite.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, are you serious ???.Sure we have an elite QB, but he won`t be around for ever. Of course we need a decent defense.

Read what I wrote: I did not say, that we can do a SB-run with a rank 20 defense. I just said, that we dont need a top 10 defense with AR12 still running the offense. Ar12 is 34, so my guess is he has at least 5 seasons left. Let us have a top 15 defense, which is not an elite rank, and we can possibly do a SB-run. Let the new DC work and develop and we can do multiple SB-runs in AR12 window left.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Translation: I'm too lazy to back up my statements, so I'll just insult your intelligence to boost my positio

I assume you're talking about their 2015 defense. Jim O'Neill was the Browns DC that year. Fun fact: when defensive coordinators become head coaches they do NOT continue to fill the defensive coordinator role. Who knew?!

So what your saying is MM doesnt run our offense because he is the head coach. Sure looks like he calls all the plays to me.

Aaaand if there was any doubt, you just removed it.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are saying MM doesnt run our defense because he is head coach. Looks like he calls the plays to me.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, we need good coaching.......but if we want a great D, our new GM will be more important than our new DC if you want the truth.
Ehh....that's debatable but I understand your point of view. It's really a combination of the two. The GM and DC should ideally be on the same wavelength and the GM should draft players that are suitable to play in the DC's system. However, the DC should also either be able to coach any players bestowed upon him to adapt to his scheme, or readjust his scheme to adapt to his players' strengths. Thompson and Capers did not "gel" at all in that regard and neither one of them held the other accountable...nor did anyone else in the organization hold them accountable for lack of performance. The good news is things can't possibly get any worse than what we've had in the past 5+ years. (Hopefully)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I admit to just guessing here and I don't have a list, but sometimes solid DC's or OC's just don't make good HC's. Actually, Capers just popped into my head on that one. He was 48–80 as a H.C. Wait, did I just call Dom a solid DC? Yikes, I need to go to bed! :eek:

Guess what I am saying, I'm not putting a lot of weight on the Brown's defense's while Pettine was the HC.
Don't feel badly about that, he was. It was just time for a change here. I wouldn't even be surprised if he comes back in a year or on some new staff and gets results again. I don't think for a second that Capers has forgotten defensive football, but for whatever reason it seemed there were regularly more coach to player breakdowns or player to player breakdowns in bad situations and they had plenty of time to fix it and didn't. I know fans don't think he knows anything, but among his football peers he's always going to be regarded as a great defensive mind.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are saying MM doesnt run our defense because he is head coach. Looks like he calls the plays to me.
He does call the plays on offense, which is what I think you meant. But there is so much more that goes into offense or defense than just calling the plays on Sunday. The coordinators are a big part of that. I don't know much about this guy. He looks slightly bad ***, so I guess that's a good start :)

I have zero opinions on the guy. Sounds like a decent hire as far as I can tell, but the main reason I'm going to be behind him for a season or 2 at least to give him a chance, is the guys at the top work hard. They usually get it right. Not always, they aren't perfect, but they aren't stupid and didn't get to where they are because of Aaron Rodgers. Life is full of 2 way streets and they had as much to do with getting #12 to where he is today as #12 has helped this team. They may have gotten this wrong, but what I do know is they have their plan, they put a lot of work into it, they know the direction they want to go and they're doing what they think they can with who they have to get there. also contrary to popular belief none of these guys got to where they are because they're stooges or somebody's kid. They got there by proving themselves and hard work.

So until we get a chance to see a defense on the field and give them a chance to learn it and grow in it, people are going to have to give me some pretty damn specific reasons why I shouldn't support a guy they hired and it needs to be a lot more than a defensive ranking for a team when there are rankings from another team on the contrary. Unless you have details from every game and a lot of situations in terms of personnel available, offenses faced and specific calls made that contributed to that ranking, it's just a meaningless stat about a team that has been terrible for a long long time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pettine has done a pretty good job as a defensive coordinator as well as one that side of the ball while being head coach therefore I'm actually fine with the Packers hiring him as DC.

While the combined record of his teams isn't impressive at 50-62 (.446) the quarterbacks he had to work with should definitely be considered:

Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Tim Tebow, EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel, Brian Hoyer, Johnny Manziel, Connor Shaw, Josh McCown and Austin Davis

I'm optimistic he will be capable of fielding a defense good enough to be successful with Rodgers throwing the ball.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine has done a pretty good job as a defensive coordinator as well as one that side of the ball while being head coach therefore I'm actually fine with the Packers hiring him as DC.

While the combined record of his teams isn't impressive at 50-62 (.446) the quarterbacks he had to work with should definitely be considered:

Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Tim Tebow, EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel, Brian Hoyer, Johnny Manziel, Connor Shaw, Josh McCown and Austin Davis

I'm optimistic he will be capable of fielding a defense good enough to be successful with Rodgers throwing the ball.
With those quarterbacks/offenses, his defense was on the field way more than the league average. Give him an above-average quarterback/offense and I think his defensive stats would be even better. Pettine might just be the hidden gem in the modern day NFL defensive coaching ranks. I'm optimistic.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So obviously Fangio and Bradley were not available.
<snip>
And to be honest, with AR12 running the offense, we dont need an elite defense for a possible SB-run.
I honestly didn't know much about Pettine since I don't pay that much attention to the AFC. But it sounds like his record is pretty impressive. The only concern I see is that he's been out of the league for a few years - maybe it will rejuvenate him. After such a dismal year, who would have thought this would be such a great offseason?

Are we really sure that the Packers would rather have Fangio? They never even interviewed him, did they? Maybe Pettine was McCarthy's first choice. Sure didn't take long for them to make the decision.

As for not needing an elite defense, I guess it's technically true. But I'd much rather have one. The Packers have never won a Super Bowl without a top ten offense. In fact, they've never won a Super Bowl without a top five offense. In fact, the Packers have never won a Super Bowl without a top three defense.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Modio yes i did mean offense. Just replying to the point made about the head coach not having anything to do with or run an offense/defense.just stating that there are HC that run a certain side of the ball and the cordinater just helps to implement his plan. Yes there is alot of work involved and that is why cordinater are so important. I think Pettine will do fine, but there are concerns.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I honestly didn't know much about Pettine since I don't pay that much attention to the AFC. But it sounds like his record is pretty impressive. The only concern I see is that he's been out of the league for a few years - maybe it will rejuvenate him. After such a dismal year, who would have thought this would be such a great offseason?

Are we really sure that the Packers would rather have Fangio? They never even interviewed him, did they? Maybe Pettine was McCarthy's first choice. Sure didn't take long for them to make the decision.

As for not needing an elite defense, I guess it's technically true. But I'd much rather have one. The Packers have never won a Super Bowl without a top ten offense. In fact, they've never won a Super Bowl without a top five offense. In fact, the Packers have never won a Super Bowl without a top three defense.

I don't know what he was doing in 2016, but last year he was working as a defensive consultant with the Seahawks.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And to be honest, with AR12 running the offense, we dont need an elite defense for a possible SB-run. Look at 2014, we had a slightly above average D and we nearly made it. I think an overall top 15 defense could be a big improvement given, that we made the playoffs in all these years where Capers Defense sucked really big

How did the opinion that we don't need an elite defense (slightly above average would be fine) get dumped on by basically concurring that we need a decent defense? And, have someone agree with it?

Members online

Latest posts