Packers hire Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I think people really need to take a chill pill. We asked for change and we got it. Wait until we actually play some football before you jump down Pettine's throat. He's never had a good quarterback and that puts the defense at a disadvantage. Let's give the man a chance.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

How did the opinion that we don't need an elite defense (slightly above average would be fine) get dumped on by basically concurring that we need a decent defense? And, have someone agree with it?

Because people are entitled to opinions ? I read it that way and commented, I didn`t dump on anybody. Sorry if came across that way, but I don`t believe AR is the god some see him as. There will be a time we lose him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Man, I think people really need to take a chill pill. We asked for change and we got it. Wait until we actually play some football before you jump down Pettine's throat. He's never had a good quarterback and that puts the defense at a disadvantage. Let's give the man a chance.

Short of Vince Lombardi rising from his grave and taking over the Packers, I don't think you are going to satisfy certain fans with just about any hirings/firings, etc. Some people like to bit*h just to hear themselves bit*h. I had the "privilege" to sit next to a Packer fan at the Seahawks game in 2016, a game that the Packers crushed the Seahawks. The whole game I heard nothing but "F-this guy", "that guy should be fired", blah blah blah.....At the end of the game I turned to him and said "Great game huh?" His response was "Yeah, but I bet my car is blocked in and I won't get out for hours".

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He does call the plays on offense, which is what I think you meant. But there is so much more that goes into offense or defense than just calling the plays on Sunday. The coordinators are a big part of that. I don't know much about this guy. He looks slightly bad ***, so I guess that's a good start :)

I have zero opinions on the guy. Sounds like a decent hire as far as I can tell, but the main reason I'm going to be behind him for a season or 2 at least to give him a chance, is the guys at the top work hard. They usually get it right. Not always, they aren't perfect, but they aren't stupid and didn't get to where they are because of Aaron Rodgers. Life is full of 2 way streets and they had as much to do with getting #12 to where he is today as #12 has helped this team. They may have gotten this wrong, but what I do know is they have their plan, they put a lot of work into it, they know the direction they want to go and they're doing what they think they can with who they have to get there. also contrary to popular belief none of these guys got to where they are because they're stooges or somebody's kid. They got there by proving themselves and hard work.

So until we get a chance to see a defense on the field and give them a chance to learn it and grow in it, people are going to have to give me some pretty damn specific reasons why I shouldn't support a guy they hired and it needs to be a lot more than a defensive ranking for a team when there are rankings from another team on the contrary. Unless you have details from every game and a lot of situations in terms of personnel available, offenses faced and specific calls made that contributed to that ranking, it's just a meaningless stat about a team that has been terrible for a long long time.

Couldn't agree more. I know next to nothing about him but what I have read. A lot of people were worried about hiring from within....thinking more of the same on defense. So now we have someone who is outside the organization and can look at the defense objectively. See who we need and what needs to be changed.
Have a feeling that Witt, Perry and Moss are gone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I know next to nothing about him but what I have read. A lot of people were worried about hiring from within....thinking more of the same on defense. So now we have someone who is outside the organization and can look at the defense objectively. See who we need and what needs to be changed.
Have a feeling that Witt, Perry and Moss are gone.
I'm not going to pretend to know anything really. I don't know what makes these guys tick. Just look at GM possibilities. People around here loved Ron Wolf, it seems a lot can't stand Ted Thompson. They worked very closely with each other for some time. With Ron and Ted you had others that worked closely together. Reggie, Dorsey, Schneider, E. Wolf, I am Gute, Ball. People seem to like Schneider and Wolf, didn't want Ball, and it seems some aren't happy with Gute either. They're all part of the same vein. There will be some differences, but none of us have ever seen them work, so what do we know?

People around here despise Dom these days, but will clamor for Fangio. maybe it would be different, but they came from the same vein too. People say it's so different, buy why? and With Moss, he's survived some coaching changes above and around him before. Seems to be well respected. Whitt and Perry have had success with what they do in the past, it's not like they can't coach. But none of us know really why it worked before and not now. Shields, Tramon, those are big success stories. I thought Randall was done here after his benching, or close to it. It was his make or break moment and the coaches got him to respond, and well. It's difficult for me to have a strong opinion of them one way or the other. They've had success at what they do, quite a bit actually. Just not recently. I'm fine with a new staff wanting to keep them around if they think they fit with what they're trying to do. If not, i'm fine with the change too.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW. When Pettine coached the Browns former GM's (Polian,Kirwan to name a few raved about the guy as a coach and a DC) and were miffed when he was let go as a HC saying he had nothing to work with. They also said they couldn't see another coach coming in and doing better. I think he will be a great hire myself.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short of Vince Lombardi rising from his grave and taking over the Packers, I don't think you are going to satisfy certain fans with just about any hirings/firings, etc. Some people like to bit*h just to hear themselves bit*h. I had the "privilege" to sit next to a Packer fan at the Seahawks game in 2016, a game that the Packers crushed the Seahawks. The whole game I heard nothing but "F-this guy", "that guy should be fired", blah blah blah.....At the end of the game I turned to him and said "Great game huh?" His response was "Yeah, but I bet my car is blocked in and I won't get out for hours".
Doesn't have to be Vince. If it was Steve Lombardi, great grandson of Vince, they would be happy. Doesn't matter he is a gocery checker in Omaha. They recognize the name.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question: Does MM have to get 'permission' to hire his Coordinators, or is it entirely up to him?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You all don't feel bad, The Panthers just hired Norv Turner to be their Offensive coordinator. I think you guys did better.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitt has done a pretty good job with all the UDFA's ted got him. He has had to piece together a unit so many times. He has done a good job with whatever he has been given...except the point guard...but i will blame that on Ted.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year he was a defensive consultant with the Seahawks.

I like that he was getting an exposure to a defense that’s so different from what he’s run in the past. He’s already very multiple, so I think we can expect more of the same.
I do like the signing them ranks are good and proven stat record for it.. and personal with the jets wasn’t the greatest on paper.. he failed on the browns as a head coach but still had that top ten defense with them too.. also with him being around Seattle and he really gets the best out of the secondary.. I’m gonna call this now.. some way Richard Sherman will be here next season... optimistic maybe but it’s not way far fetched if he is released.. in fact if he is released he will be on this team.. just my way early prediction.. take it for what it’s worth ha

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how connected he is with the Players in Seattle, but they have a lengthy (17) list of potential FA's :D

Jimmy Graham TE 31
Luke Joeckel G 26
Eddie Lacy RB 27
Sheldon Richardson DT
Bradley McDougald SS
Luke Willson TE 27
Michael Wilhoite ILB
Deshawn Shead FS
Paul Richardson WR
Blair Walsh K 27
Marcus Smith DE
Oday Aboushi G
Byron Maxwell CB
Terence Garvin ILB
Austin Davis QB 28
Matt Tobin G 27
Dewey McDonald OLB 27
Only guy on there I like is Sheldon and he will probly be resigned or cost way to much money

Members online

Latest posts