Packers hire Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Mr Clean jokes in 3. 2. 1.

Those were all used up on Capers until he got his rug!

I'm straight, but I kind of like the look that Pettine brings! :coffee:

He's got that look of "Don't F%&K with me man".

Hope he believes in being on the field during the game.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Don't like it....Pettine has a history of causing issues everywhere he's been. This is the ONE mistake that we've made this offseason. I will be shocked if this actually works out. You had Vic Fangio and Gus Bradley for the taking (both of whom BLOW Pettine out of the water in scheming and defensive knowledge) and we settle for this.

This has Mike McCarthy written all over it. But you know what, that's fine....because if this blows up in his face and Pettine is garbage (which wouldn't surprise me), they'll both be walking out the door hand in hand. I loved the BG hire, I LOVED the Philbin hire, but this one stinks to high hell.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What I’m curious about is whether the Packers had their choice of the candidates and wanted Pettine, or if they got word that the others were choosing to stay put and thus “settled” for him. I like the hire either way, but it’s a curiosity.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Don't like it....Pettine has a history of causing issues everywhere he's been. This is the ONE mistake that we've made this offseason. I will be shocked if this actually works out. You had Vic Fangio and Gus Bradley for the taking (both of whom BLOW Pettine out of the water in scheming and defensive knowledge) and we settle for this.

This has Mike McCarthy written all over it. But you know what, that's fine....because if this blows up in his face and Pettine is garbage (which wouldn't surprise me), they'll both be walking out the door hand in hand. I loved the BG hire, I LOVED the Philbin hire, but this one stinks to high hell.

Can you elaborate on Pettine’s issues and how you would determine that Bradley/Fangio blow him out of the water?

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive been trying to figure out why they wouldnt at least bring in the other two for interviews. Haven't found anything saying the others are staying put. I agree this has MM written all over it. Deciding after one external interview??? Pettine hasnt coached in 2 years why the hurry, only other interview was the Skins last year. Im crossing my fingers on this one.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on Pettine’s issues and how you would determine that Bradley/Fangio blow him out of the water?

If you cant see how Fangio is head and shoulders above Pettine, I can't help you. Rex Ryan ran the defense that Pettine got credit for. His defense in Cleveland was almost last in the league and NOBODY has even touched this guy in almost 3 years......for a reason!.....This is a fail hire with McCarthy's signature on it.

Hell I would have taken a chance with Perry instead of throwing away money to Pettine

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just found that Bradley is staying with chargers 3yr extension. Vic sounds like he is staying with bears. This explains why we decided so fast.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you cant see how Fangio is head and shoulders above Pettine, I can't help you. Rex Ryan ran the defense that Pettine got credit for. His defense in Cleveland was almost last in the league and NOBODY has even touched this guy in almost 3 years......for a reason!.....This is a fail hire with McCarthy's signature on it.

Hell I would have taken a chance with Perry instead of throwing away money to Pettine

Thank you for letting me know you belong on ignore.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this because he's had a great track record with the Jets and Bills, but I'm also a little concerned because his run defenses weren't that good. He also had an elite Revis with the Jets. However, he seems to be really good at adjusting schemes to fit his players, unlike Capers. I guess we'll see, but I'm definitely excited to see where we go from here.

I'm curious to see who he'll bring in as his assistant coaches.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just found that Bradley is staying with chargers 3yr extension. Vic sounds like he is staying with bears. This explains why we decided so fast.

Fangio may decide to stay with the Bears, because the other teams are filling the position with other guys. We probably will never know who MM really wanted, may have been Pettine all along or maybe Pettine was just the best one he could get to take the job?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The boys on D better be ready. He will not run the country club on defense that they are used to. If there is one thing this defense has not been its an attack style defense.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fangio may decide to stay with the Bears, because the other teams are filling the position with other guys. We probably will never know who MM really wanted, may have been Pettine all along or maybe Pettine was just the best one he could get to take the job?

I suspect the Packers got word the Bears were going to do whatever they needed to do to keep Fangio. He was already one of the highest paid DC's in the league and they are probably going to raise his pay even more to keep some stability. And with the new HC being an offense guy, they probably told Fangio he can do whatever he wants.

Personally, I'm fine with Pettine. He's got a decent track record and he's most certainly an improvement over what has become Dom Capers.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One way or the other its all coming out at about the same time so there must have been some writing on the wall. Im not going to say he is a bad choice, just dont know enough about him, but there are some red flags. Like coaching under Ryan as head coach. And i know he was the Browns head coach but every year, except his first year, his def got worse. Just have to say it sounds alot like Capers. One or two good years then slowly down hill

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My only guess is you are a jonny football fan and blame pettine for ruining his career because other than that Pettine has been a great dc. He hasn't been doing nothing the last three years and even recently interviewed for the Redskins DC job but got hired by gb. He is well respected.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One way or the other its all coming out at about the same time so there must have been some writing on the wall. Im not going to say he is a bad choice, just dont know enough about him, but there are some red flags. Like coaching under Ryan as head coach. And i know he was the Browns head coach but every year, except his first year, his def got worse. Just have to say it sounds alot like Capers. One or two good years then slowly down hill

While I admit to just guessing here and I don't have a list, but sometimes solid DC's or OC's just don't make good HC's. Actually, Capers just popped into my head on that one. He was 48–80 as a H.C. Wait, did I just call Dom a solid DC? Yikes, I need to go to bed! :eek:

Guess what I am saying, I'm not putting a lot of weight on the Brown's defense's while Pettine was the HC.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I admit to just guessing here and I don't have a list, but sometimes solid DC's or OC's just don't make good HC's. Actually, Capers just popped into my head on that one. He was 48–80 as a H.C. Wait, did I just call Dom a solid DC? Yikes, I need to go to bed! :eek:

Guess what I am saying, I'm not putting a lot of weight on the Brown's defense's while Pettine was the HC.
I agree but you know he had his hand in it being a def head coach. Just hope oir def can stay consistent

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't like it....Pettine has a history of causing issues everywhere he's been. This is the ONE mistake that we've made this offseason. I will be shocked if this actually works out. You had Vic Fangio and Gus Bradley for the taking...

And this, folks, is a textbook example of a completely baseless assumption.

GBBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly, but should the Packers fire MM due to the poor job Capers had been doing?
Thats definitely up for debate, he should not have let him stay that long. But i think his hands were tied with being in the playoffs every year. Im just saying there is a little pattern with Pettine def slowly sliding.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you cant see how Fangio is head and shoulders above Pettine, I can't help you.

Translation: I'm too lazy to back up my statements, so I'll just insult your intelligence to boost my position.

Rex Ryan ran the defense that Pettine got credit for. His defense in Cleveland was almost last in the league...

I assume you're talking about their 2015 defense. Jim O'Neill was the Browns DC that year. Fun fact: when defensive coordinators become head coaches they do NOT continue to fill the defensive coordinator role. Who knew?!

Aaaand if there was any doubt, you just removed it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or maybe Pettine just had an outstanding interview and demonstrated his knowledge and philosophy very articulately and effectively.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are people really using his time with the Browns against him? It'd be like using McDaniels time with the Broncos against him if he became our offensive coordinator