Packers at Texans (Sun, 10/25 - 1pm)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The last time the Packers and Texans squared off was 12/4/2016 at Lambeau. Tyler Ervin was out for that game as well, only that time he was a Texan. Packers won the game 21-13, so lets home Ervin is our "good luck charm."

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far J Williams picking up the slack here

Studs so far:

Rodgers, J Williams, Adams, M Taylor and the TEs

And... Even though it is the Texans, hat tip Pettine and the D today

Duds: MVS and ESB

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is completing a lot of passes .... but his accuracy has not been all that great.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually if I understand your numbers correctly it seems that home teams benefit from not having crowds in stadiums this season, scoring an additional average of 0.8 points compared to visiting clubs.
Strange as it seems, that is the case through Week 6. We'll have to see if it regresses toward or beyond the mean.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of those games where despite the opponent, it was just important to get a W because every single one matters.

Right now though... it's going to be a battle to stay ahead of TB and CHI. Bad news too is TB's schedule upcoming looks pretty favorable other than a handful of games.

H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers is completing a lot of passes .... but his accuracy has not been all that great.
65.8% completion percentage so far, his best since 2013.

In the offseason, there were some pundits in these pages who called for taking more chances and throwing fewer balls away even if it resulted in a few more INTs. That's not a good idea as last week illustrated. It's an especially bad idea with a defense that doesn't produce many turnovers of their own as is the case this year. Rodgers will continue to put the ball where the defender cannot get it, whether in the field of play or throwing it away, as he has done for lo these many years. You'd think people would be used to that by now but I guess not.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
65.8% completion percentage so far, his best since 2013.

In the offseason, there were some pundits in these pages who called for taking more chances and throwing fewer balls away even if it resulted in a few more INTs. That's not a good idea as last week illustrated. It's an especially bad idea with a defense that doesn't produce many turnovers of their own as is the case this year. Rodgers will continue to put the ball where the defender cannot get it, whether in the field of play or throwing it away, as he has done for lo these many years. You'd think people would be used to that by now but I guess not.
Ok.. thanks for quoting me and then using a statistic that proves nothing about my quote except to confirm what I originally said. As far as your assertion that all those passes that were not highly accurate were “actually just placed where the defender couldn’t get to them”... I call ********. several of them were just plain inaccurate. Adams caught several of them anyway.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Ok.. thanks for quoting me and then using a statistic that proves nothing about my quote except to confirm what I originally said. As far as your assertion that all those passes that were not highly accurate were “actually just placed where the defender couldn’t get to them”... I call ********. several of them were just plain inaccurate. Adams caught several of them anyway.
No thanks required. Consider yourself a random victim.

Get out much, by the way? Watch any other quarterback in a 34 throw game. There will be several off target passes with very rare exception games. Mahomes won a Super Bowl while throwing several really bad ones. I don't know what you expect, perfection? Or is it just an axe of some kind that needs grainding?

Yes, Adams did make a couple of tough catches. The ball was put where the defender couldn't get to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No thanks required. Consider yourself a random victim.

Get out much, by the way? Watch any other quarterback in a 34 throw game. There will be several off target passes with very rare exception games. Mahomes won a Super Bowl while throwing several really bad ones. I don't know what you expect, perfection? Or is it just an axe of some kind that needs grainding?

Yes, Adams did make a couple of tough catches. The ball was put where the defender couldn't get to it.
shout box is full of criticism of Def when a guy missed an easy tackle or Pettine screw up a call.

So why isnt it okay for a poster to express their opinion that rodgers was off on few throws?

I said it my self...it isnt a knock, it was a fact.. Tell me (a yes or no)

Were there any throws to Adams that were behind him?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
dominant performance even with being in such sad shape injury wise.
The entire injury situation is becoming very annoying. I don’t expect an injury free season but it seems we are usually in the wrong half or third in terms of starter games lost to injuries.
Yes, I know last year was very good for us in this regard. Definitely seemed to be an outlier though. The practice injuries are especially annoying.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
shout box is full of criticism of Def when a guy missed an easy tackle or Pettine screw up a call.

So why isnt it okay for a poster to express their opinion that rodgers was off on few throws?

I said it my self...it isnt a knock, it was a fact.. Tell me (a yes or no)

Were there any throws to Adams that were behind him?
Shoutbox is almost comical. Gets very quiet on good long drives by the offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shoutbox is almost comical. Gets very quiet on good long drives by the offense.
or 3 and outs by the defense. Missed tackle or 10 play TD drive or the even better the 30 yard per play TD drives and you see all sorts of people you've never seen in her before and don't come back around unless it happens again either LOL

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't cite the knee jerk shoutbox as an authority, a source of balanced perspective, or as the picture of decorum. Taking a long view, not the most recent 10 second snippit, I think we can say the Packers on balance have not had a good tackling defense going back pretty deep into the Capers years, but that's another topic.
Exactly. That was my opinion. Why it OK to call it ********?
I said it my self...it isnt a knock, it was a fact.. Tell me (a yes or no). Were there any throws to Adams that were behind him?
Yes. I'll be reviewing the tape in detail and I'll let you know how many. If perfection is the enemy of the good, would Rodgers' performance qualify as good? Tell me, a yes or no?

I suppose there is anxiety in thinking this team will struggle to beat good defenses, particularly those with pass rushes the O-Line can't handle, requiring Rodgers perfection. That anxiety may be justified. There's a long way to go.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't cite the knee jerk shoutbox as an authority, a source of balanced perspective, or as the picture of decorum. Taking a long view, I think we can say the Packers have not been a good tackling defense going back to Capers.

Exactly. That was my opinion. Why it OK for my opinion to be called ********?

I'll be reviewing the tape. I'll let you know how many. If perfection is the enemy of the good, would Rodgers' performance qualify as good? Tell me, a yes or no?

I suppose there is anxiety in thinking this team will struggle to beat good defenses, as the evidence suggests, requiring Rodgers perfection.
Rodgers played great.

He had few throws off the mark..

And thats okay to say he was off on 2 or 3 throws

H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers played great.

He had few throws off the mark..

And thats okay to say he was off on 2 or 3 throws
Right, maybe. I'll break it down as I said providing I'm not suspended after this post. And it should be OK to point out to somebody who only wants to focus on the two or three that it's a narrow perspective not warranting a bullsh*t call. So, go call out the other guy, why doncha?

Maybe I should call you out for bullsh*t in focusing only on my comments while letting the other guy slide? I suppose I should be used to it by now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a guy points out that rodgers did complete a lot of passes yesterday, but he wasn't terribly accurate. I think most people that watched that game yesterday would say that was a pretty fair assessment.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, his main problem right now is that he is not leading the receiver very well. This is bad because it affect run after catch and also because MVS and EQS don't seem to be able to catch balls a little behind them. But it is an accuracy problem and I don't understand it. It is very basic. And important. It is like ARod wants to just throw to a general area. They are not tough throws.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, his main problem right now is that he is not leading the receiver very well. This is bad because it affect run after catch and also because MVS and EQS don't seem to be able to catch balls a little behind them. But it is an accuracy problem and I don't understand it. It is very basic. And important. It is like ARod wants to just throw to a general area. They are not tough throws.

If you expect every pass to be perfectly thrown into the receivers hands, you have set your expectations too high. Every receiver has a catch radius and as long as Rodgers can get the ball into that general area, the ball should be caught. Just happens to be that the Packers have one WR with a very large catch radius and everyone else not named Adams, seem to have a very small one.

Also, what may appear to be a poorly thrown ball, could also be a poorly run route, just saying. I'm not saying that Rodgers is perfect, he isn't, but where the ball should have been thrown and where the receiver was when it arrived, isn't always what it may appear to be.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you expect every pass to be perfectly thrown into the receivers hands, you have set your expectations too high. Every receiver has a catch radius and as long as Rodgers can get the ball into that general area, the ball should be caught. Just happens to be that the Packers have one WR with a very large catch radius and everyone else not named Adams, seem to have a very small one.

Also, what may appear to be a poorly thrown ball, could also be a poorly run route, just saying. I'm not saying that Rodgers is perfect, he isn't, but where the ball should have been thrown and where the receiver was when it arrived, isn't always what it may appear to be.
Totally disagree with everything you think about this. He is throwing behind receivers too much. At least in this last game. Watch where Mahomes and Brady put the ball. ARod should be doing the same. Focus.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Totally disagree with everything you think about this. He is throwing behind receivers too much. At least in this last game. Watch where Mahomes and Brady put the ball. ARod should be doing the same. Focus.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

I have watched Mahomes miss WR's or did the WR's not run the expected route? Same with Brady throughout his career. How many passes has MVS dropped this year? EQ? Shepherd?

"Throwing behind receivers too much", what do you base that off of? Like I said, Rodgers isn't perfect and he will have a few bad throws, but to say "watch where Mahomes and Brady put the ball" as some kind of evidence to Rodgers is different? I'm sticking to my first statement, Rodgers has one WR with a very large catch radius, but with his other receivers, he better thread it right in that perfect small window and hope they still are able to catch it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just noticed while a was watching that Rodgers was not leading receivers well while they are running horizontally. That is simply a backyard play. When a receiver is running right to left or vice versa, you lead them. A good pass leads them properly. Not complicated. I am only referring to those kind of passes. Not long passes. Maybe I was not too clear on that part.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts