Packers 2022-2023 Season Review: What was The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

D

Deleted member 6794

A lot of "if this happens" to do that, as well as probably shoving a lot of cap out into the future. Reloading and "going all in" is a process that eventually will put the Packers in Cap Hell Bankruptcy.

It will take the Packers at least one season, possibly two, to straighten their cap situation at one point anyway. If they believe they have another shot at a Lombardi with Rodgers it doesn't make a whole lot of a difference waiting another year or two for it to happen.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will take the Packers at least one season, possibly two, to straighten their cap situation at one point anyway. If they believe they have another shot at a Lombardi with Rodgers it doesn't make a whole lot of a difference waiting another year or two for it to happen.
I would love to get some high draft picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here is the problem with operating that way, for too long. The team continues to be handcuffed each season by high salaries and old cap hits, that are now coming due. I think last season and possibly this season will be examples of how this negatively effects the team. The only way the Packers can resign top players, as well as top free agents, would be to sign them to a back-loaded contract. Which they have been doing for several years now. Pretty soon you have so much back loaded money, players have to be cut or their deals reworked to once again stay under the cap. Much like people who play the credit card game, paying off one with another, eventually, you are screwed.

While it would have been nice to furnish Rodgers with more receiving weapons last season, all he got was a discounted Sammy Watkins and some rookies. Watkins stunk and 2 rookies had up and down seasons. Can they improve that with a high end Vet FA this season or roll with the same and hope for the best? Do they have the money to sign those improvements, while resigning their core free agents?

Rodgers talked about having to jump off the carousel at some point, I think the also applies to the Packers as well when it comes to Rodgers. You can't keep going all in each season and when you don't win that SB, it stings even more.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kind of my feeling. I said it before that it was going to be difficult to put together a team in 2022/23 that was as talented/deep as the team we had in 2021/22. (And I think it's fair to say ultimately it wasn't)

And by the same measure I think it will be difficult to put together a team for 2023/24 that's as talented/deep as the one we had in 2022/23. And it seems like no matter how far you try and kick things down the road eventually you're going to find yourself being "squeezed" more and more. With less talent you have to hope for more things to go "right" for you to have success and IMO as core players get older and older the likelihood of that happening gets lower and lower.

Ultimately I guess it's more or less just the same old talk about our "window". I think you could make the case that our Super Bowl window with Rodgers probably peaked between 2019-21 and has been closing since then. And I don't know that there's really anything at this point to be done to "open" that window back up further again.

Reaction score
I had no problem with this team not making the playoffs. There is no way we were going to do much even if we did get in and now we'll have a higher pick than the teams that played this past weekend.
I agree there. We were more a pretender than a Contender and we couldn’t even get that right! Let’s just use the Giants as a template. Had we gotten knocked out there we’re picking our more usual #25th area.
So I pose a question. If we traded back and forth for additional draft resources (assuming our top couple of player choices are gone at #15) and we gyrate around the board, what do we gain finishing up in that Jaguars to Denver area (24-28 overall) what did we gain with an early season exit?? I think the gained draft equity very arguable it would be better than a direct transfer as teams pay a premium to jump up the board. I think it’s reasonable to garner an extra mid 2nd rounder (top #50) OR an extra 2024 Day 1 selection if desired.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The only way the Packers can resign top players, as well as top free agents, would be to sign them to a back-loaded contract. Which they have been doing for several years now. Pretty soon you have so much back loaded money, players have to be cut or their deals reworked to once again stay under the cap.

Every team in the league back-loads contracts to sign players to multi-year deals. As I have mentioned before, the team can create enough cap space to go all-in for another season. If they believe Rodgers is still able to turn them into a legit contender that's the way I want them to operate as I prefer to take care of the cap once they don't feature an elite QB anymore. No matter when that's gonna happen it will take one or two years anyway.

That's kind of my feeling. I said it before that it was going to be difficult to put together a team in 2022/23 that was as talented/deep as the team we had in 2021/22. (And I think it's fair to say ultimately it wasn't)

And by the same measure I think it will be difficult to put together a team for 2023/24 that's as talented/deep as the one we had in 2022/23.

If the Rodgers stays healthy, the young receivers develop as anticipated and the defense performs up to potential there's no doubt in my mind the Packers could be much improved next season.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Rodgers stays healthy, the young receivers develop as anticipated and the defense performs up to potential there's no doubt in my mind the Packers could be much improved next season.
I hear that, but to be fair heading into the 22/23 season my thoughts were more or less "If Rodgers stays healthy and has a good year, our young WRs pan out, and our defense plays up to their level we should have a really solid season" and well...we saw how that played out.

Certainly not an impossibility but at the moment my outlook is far from optimistic with regards to us "running it back" next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hear that, but to be fair heading into the 22/23 season my thoughts were more or less "If Rodgers stays healthy and has a good year, our young WRs pan out, and our defense plays up to their level we should have a really solid season" and well...we saw how that played out.

Certainly not an impossibility but at the moment my outlook is far from optimistic with regards to us "running it back" next year.

Actually I'm most concerned about the Packers keeping Barry around as defensive coordinator. In my opinion that makes it unrealistic for the defense to perform up to potential. I believe the offense could be fine if they add some pieces this offseason though.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I'm most concerned about the Packers keeping Barry around as defensive coordinator. In my opinion that makes it unrealistic for the defense to perform up to potential. I believe the offense could be fine if they add some pieces this offseason though.
I hear that, mostly with you there.

I guess what I just find a little bit troubling is that thus far we've more or less heard all three of Gute, LaFleur, and Rodgers say that they wouldn't want to see any big changes made - LaFleur doesn't envision any big coaching changes (however he worded it), Rodgers doesn't want the roster torn up and to some extent wants his guys back, Gute doesn't want to blow it all up and wants to bring Rodgers back and such...And that's all understandable to some degree but it gets to a point where it feels like everyone doesn't want to change much but is still expecting different results. I know it's overplayed to the point of being trite/cliche, but you know what they say the definition of insanity is...

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess what I just find a little bit troubling is that thus far we've more or less heard all three of Gute, LaFleur, and Rodgers say that they wouldn't want to see any big changes made - LaFleur doesn't envision any big coaching changes (however he worded it), Rodgers doesn't want the roster torn up and to some extent wants his guys back, Gute doesn't want to blow it all up and wants to bring Rodgers back and such...And that's all understandable to some degree but it gets to a point where it feels like everyone doesn't want to change much but is still expecting different results. I know it's overplayed to the point of being trite/cliche, but you know what they say the definition of insanity is...

As I have mentioned before I don't like that it seems the Packers will hold on to Barry as I would definitely prefer a different defensive coordinator to run that unit.

Other than that I don't believe major changes need to be made to turn the team into a legit contender though. While they have to add some talent on the offensive side of the ball that could be done in free agency and/or the draft in my opinion.

I'm well aware that there aren't any guarantees for it to work and the Packers could end up missing the playoffs again in 2023 without making major changes as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This article talks about the bad and the ugly that a 2022 season, where Gute and Ball pushed even more money out into the future, is coming back to haunt the Packers. I know a lot of Packer fans just want to keep pushing all in, while Rodgers is a Packer, but a 9-8 season and less cap money to spend in 2023, should be a warning sign to those fans.

Reaction score
The only thing we’ve been successful at with an “All-In” approach is SPENDING

Unfortunately the players we selected in the draft didn’t reflect that approach. We spent a #28 overall draft pick and sat him on the bench and I take issue with that. Select a player at #28 that’s more game ready and can contribute early on. That’s my definition of “All-In”.
This is more “Business as Usual” when you draft Day 1 selections and they take a seat on the bench. This has been our Modus Operandi now for 3 years and let’s quit pretending we’re all in. We’re NOT!

That and really there’s no excuse. If we try to defend it and say there was no College player left in the NFL draft that could’ve helped at #28?? Then “ALL-IN” would’ve been using that and a future 2nd rounder etc.. to move up substantially and get one

Don’t anyone give me this “All-In” verbiage. We’re anything but All-In imo. Show me 1 major selection where we went ALL IN on a player in the draft. Don’t even mention Watson that was SAVE FACE move because we got caught sleeping on the job. Trade away two 2nd rounders for what you should’ve already had. All In is asking out the hottest girl in school to go to the dance. Not waiting for the last choice while everyone else gets there’s. Then begging the 1 girl left in the neighboring HS bleachers (our own Division Rival!) day of the dance and over complimenting her in hopes you won’t go it alone. You want all in? Hi trade a Future Day 1 and get your guy that’s a known game changer. You’re going to tank at some point anyway! Go all in already and ask her out and go down swinging and on fire and pulling people into the pool with you before you drown.

Trade a Future Day 1 plus our #47 and a comp pick and go Maher at #16-17 overall. Plus get another Offensive stud at #15 overall

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget to tell us ahead of the draft this year just who is NFL ready and who isn't. IMO it just isn't that easy. Well not for me anyway. I guess you on the other hand have the inside scoop. Hopefully Gute reads your picks and off the Pack go to win another SB.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously you can’t say for certain who’s going to immediately be “NFL ready” or not but I don’t think it’s a stretch to suggest that Gute has a bit of a tendency to draft “projects” either.

Seems to me that if given the choice between a higher “value” player (albeit one who might take longer to hit his ceiling) and a lower value pick (who is already closer to their ceiling / closer to an immediate contributor) Gute will generally err on the side of long-term value even if it means a player who takes a while to start contributing.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing of course but if you’re trying to go all-in to win the Super Bowl in a given year that’s probably not the most efficient move either - in that case perhaps you take a worse “value” who can contribute more right away, or, you know, you take a page from the Rams book and don’t even bother with that draft pick and instead trade it to get a proven impact player straight up. More than one way to skin a cat.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't forget to tell us ahead of the draft this year just who is NFL ready and who isn't. IMO it just isn't that easy. Well not for me anyway. I guess you on the other hand have the inside scoop. Hopefully Gute reads your picks and off the Pack go to win another SB.
Honestly, sometimes it seems difficult to tell what current players are good values to resign, sign as Free Agents or trade for as well. Too often it seems like teams overpay for vets, thinking that the player is going to play at the same level or even better for seasons to come.

While it sucks when a 3rd round pick doesn't work out, it sucks even more when you tie up a decent percentage of the cap and possibly draft choices (trade), into a guy that ends up not being what you thought.

Building a good roster is mostly skill but also a small part luck. Then you add in injuries and it can become a crapshoot. All the variables make the odds of winning it all pretty slim, even when you do push all your chips in. While I do think Gute has been pretty good at mixing a lot of strategies to obtain decent players, hanging on to Rodgers too long, as well as overpaying on a few new contracts, might eventually cost him his job.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I do think Gute has been pretty good at mixing a lot of strategies to obtain decent players, hanging on to Rodgers too long, as well as overpaying on a few new contracts, might eventually cost him his job.

There aren't any guarantees that going all-in works out as planned but with an aging quarterback I would have liked Gutekunst to at least give it a try.

Instead he has tried to make it work with a balanced approach neither going all-in nor starting over with a new QB he traded up to select in the first round.

Ultimately that could end up costing him the job, especially if Love doesn't develop as he hoped for.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There aren't any guarantees that going all-in works out as planned but with an aging quarterback I would have liked Gutekunst to at least give it a try.
I think you are one that agrees with me on this. When we look back on Rodgers final years in Green Bay, most are going to talk about the Super Bowls that "he" (the team) didn't win. While a dominating defense would have been great, TT and Gute both tried to build that, but somewhat failed. Blame it on bad DC's or just bad draft picks, but it never happened.

However, in my mind, the number one issue since Gute has taken over, has been the receiving room. Season after season we have watched the room slowly empty out of talent, while the front office used most if it's draft assets on the defense. The only thing that really saved the offense was Rodgers and to some extent Davante. Really, Rodgers was his own worst, unintentional enemy with this one. He was good enough to make below average receivers, that had been with the team several years, look ok.

I don't know when Rodgers is done in GB, but whether it is this season or 2030, the Packers really need to improve on their offensive passing weapons, both the TE and WR positions.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts