Packers 2022-2023 Season Review: What was The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What you are more or less describing here is having a plan but lacking the conviction to see it through.

And at the end of the day… having a plan but not having the courage to stick to it is effectively just as good (if not worse, tbh) than not having a plan in the first place.

I don’t think the problem is that Gute didn’t have a plan, it’s that he had a plan and then as soon as things got tricky he didn’t have the stones to stick to it. I’d have a lot more respect/confidence in him as a leader if he simply chose to firmly plant his flag and either commit to going all-in on Love for the future or all-in on Rodgers for the present. As it stands he’s refused to commit all-in to either and is trying to satisfy both outcomes which has not worked out thus far.

I concur.

I was under the impression that a multi billion dollar industry (NFL) with 32 billion dollar companies would have better plans to allocating money.

The lack of conviction is the part I distrust the most.

As GM, stick to the results of your decisions and correct any errors that can hinder your job.

I wasn't certain Love was the heir apparent and I'm not certain now.

Too much draft capital and waste of cap space has been sitting for four seasons.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your the one that claimed no plan.. I simply said there might have been a plan and what they thought..I think they had the plan he would be gone after 2022 .
this has been re hashed for years.

But he had a re birth and played mvp level, that hurt their plan

if you can’t understand that then I can’t help you

Interesting how you complain about rehashing the very topic...that you're rehashing.

Help me with what?

We have opposing views and we're debating.

Plus, Rodgers' rebirth?

It was a rejuvenation. New HC. New system. A new challenge for AR12.

Rodger's play after the Love draft didn't hurt Gute's plan, it invalidated it.

So with Rodgers adjusting his game and thriving, Love is a lame duck QB with no leverage (minimal PT) and nobody that will back his claim to the throne.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was pretty obvious at the time Gutekunst traded up to select Love the way that move works out would end up being the one his tenure will mostly be remembered for.

Three years in it still seems it was a terrible idea in the first place.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I just can't envision an NFL GM trading away his reigning MVP. It has never happened in league history.
Pug, I could be mistaken, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere where John Hadl was the reigning MVP when the Rams bent Dan Devine over the ironing board and had their way with him. They did everything but plant their flag in his butt crack.

One thing is for sure, in my world anyway -- the 9'ers....WOW, talk about the dead coming to life in the 2nd half. For most of my life, the 9'ers were my second favorite team. In the early 70's as a boy, I needed a team to root for after the Packers would be buried and I latched onto the 9'ers (John Brodie/Gene Washington, et al) because I thought their colors were cool. Pretty much carried over into young adulthood until Harbaugh and now, Shanahan (any Shanahan).

That 2nd half a** kicking leveled on the Seagulls WOULD have been us. The Gulls and/or Lions had no more business than the Packers being in a playoff game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting how you complain about rehashing the very topic...that you're rehashing.

Help me with what?

We have opposing views and we're debating.

Plus, Rodgers' rebirth?

It was a rejuvenation. New HC. New system. A new challenge for AR12.

Rodger's play after the Love draft didn't hurt Gute's plan, it invalidated it.

So with Rodgers adjusting his game and thriving, Love is a lame duck QB with no leverage (minimal PT) and nobody that will back his claim to the throne.
Not complaining??? I stated my opinion, he couldn’t dump Rodgers, that would been a worse pr circus than Brett. So now they are stuck

You wanted him to still dump him. And that is okay

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not complaining??? I stated my opinion, he couldn’t dump Rodgers, that would been a worse pr circus than Brett. So now they are stuck

You wanted him to still dump him. And that is okay

False!!!

I have never wanted Green Bay to "dump" Rodgers nor (yes nor) suggested or stated such.

I don't even fault the front office for selecting a QB for the future.

Although, I don't think of Love as a franchise QB or even the potential of being one.

My issue and only issue is the draft capital used to acquire the picks to draft Love.

I think he was overvalued.

Another QB could've and should've been drafted later and those Day 1 picks could've acquired immediate contributors.

However, it was also motivation for AR12 to remind the world.

A motivational tool for your best player, but an expensive one.

Reaction score
I believe the coaching was just not good enough. A veteran team can get buy in many aspects with experienced players in leadership roles. A Ray Lewis, a Brian Uhrlacher, a Charles Woodson, a Brady, or a Peyton Manning could have made a difference not just because THEY make plays but they teach and inspire OTHER players to perform.
I totally agree.
A head coach besides himself, needs talent in his assistant coaching staff also.
Like any CEO, HC, GM, their only as good as the personal under them.

Didn't coach McCarthy fire most of his coaching staff after the first year as HC?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It took 3 years of grooming until Rodgers became the QB we had all these years so I'm thinking it is taking all this time for Love too.

That's wishful thinking and naive if the expectation is catching lightning in a bottle twice.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's wishful thinking and naive if the expectation is catching lightning in a bottle twice.
I don't expect Love to be the second coming of Rodgers. How many times do we see QBs taken high in the first round crash and burn as rookies? Playing behind 12 could do a world of good for Love. I'm hoping he will be a solid starter for us in the future.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree.
A head coach besides himself, needs talent in his assistant coaching staff also.
Like any CEO, HC, GM, their only as good as the personal under them.

Didn't coach McCarthy fire most of his coaching staff after the first year as HC?
I went to the Packers' website and searched for assistants during MM's first couple of years and I didn't see a mass firing after his first year as HC in 2006.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not hindsight here. I was all in to trade Rodgers BEFORE the 2021 season and in fact predicted a hollow”impressive” regular season record followed by a(nother) Rodgers el-foldo in the playoffs. What has me shaking my head is Green Bay commiting cap suicide - but that’s where we are. Another “playoff” loss (to the Lions no less) and his post loss presser throwing shade on the play calling.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to the Packers' website and searched for assistants during MM's first couple of years and I didn't see a mass firing after his first year as HC in 2006.
There were obviously changes from Sherman to MM. For some reason the team drastically improved from 2006 to 2007 although it came about short in MM's second year.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than signing Rodgers to that extension why else do you list Gute under "Bad"? I am one that does NOT crucify him for that move because Gute (and most others) didn't know Rodgers would decline like he did last offseason.
Poor Gute. When he thought AR might be declining he drafts Love. When he is proven wrong he gives him a huge contract and he then declines. Before the AR guys jump on me, I still believe he is a top QB and realize he did not have much to work with at WR or TE and he hurt his thumb but IMO there is no doubt he has started to decline.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pug, I could be mistaken, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere where John Hadl was the reigning MVP when the Rams bent Dan Devine over the ironing board and had their way with him. They did everything but plant their flag in his butt crack.

One thing is for sure, in my world anyway -- the 9'ers....WOW, talk about the dead coming to life in the 2nd half. For most of my life, the 9'ers were my second favorite team. In the early 70's as a boy, I needed a team to root for after the Packers would be buried and I latched onto the 9'ers (John Brodie/Gene Washington, et al) because I thought their colors were cool. Pretty much carried over into young adulthood until Harbaugh and now, Shanahan (any Shanahan).

That 2nd half a** kicking leveled on the Seagulls WOULD have been us. The Gulls and/or Lions had no more business than the Packers being in a playoff game.
So you are upset with Lynch for wasting all that draft capital on Trey Lance?

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst thing is they had 2 pro bowl olinemen return to the lineup..yet still stunk when it mattered most. The younger olinemen they drafted are weak!! They need bigger guys at c,rg,rt!

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poor Gute. When he thought AR might be declining he drafts Love. When he is proven wrong he gives him a huge contract and he then declines. Before the AR guys jump on me, I still believe he is a top QB and realize he did not have much to work with at WR or TE and he hurt his thumb but IMO there is no doubt he has started to decline.

There is a noticeable slight decline.

I think its physical decline.

All those hits year after year.

I can imagine it takes a toll.

At that age it starts to take a while longer to bounce back from aches and pains.

All the more reason to improve the O-Line no matter what happens this offseason.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not at all. I'm an old fart now and don't much care about stuff like that. HOWEVER, I'd like the Giants to put a red hot poker up the collective Viking fan bases' keester, ya know?
Their season only lasted a week longer than ours. Not all too surprising though. Plenty of offensive weapons but no defense to speak of.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Their season only lasted a week longer than ours. Not all too surprising though.
They reminded me of the Pack's 2011 team ... all the good fortune in the world ... non-existent defense.

Yet, their fan base puffed up with each come from behind win against sub-par teams.

So... ya know, that damned horn goes into storage until next year. I'm not even going to rub it in on those fine folk who really dug away on me last week.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching Hockenson over this season with both the Lions and Vikings we really DO need help at TE.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, McCarthy fired offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinksi after his first season as the team's head coach and replaced him with Philbin but that's it.

The collarbone injuries too. I would think arthritis would start creeping in.

Rodgers won two consecutive MVP awards after breaking his collarbones. Therefore I don't consider that to be an issue.

Staff online

Latest posts