Packers 2022-2023 Season Review: What was The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
With the season come to an end last night what was your bright spots going forward and or what was just awful.

Im going with the on the bright side of this with my thoughts. The Special Teams were a vast improvement and finally was not our Achillies heel. Once Amari Rogers got cut our return game with Nixon flourished heavily and Mason Crosby went back to return to form of being an ace FG kicker.

Christon Watson finally found his footing mid-season and that really changed this offense. Once he understands the game better and gels with Rodgers ( Or Love if Rodgers retires) he can be a quite lethal WR with his speed. Combined with Romeo Doubs we have a good one two combo for top of the WR depth chart going forward.

There are enough foundational struts here to build upon. Dispute the outcome there are many good things this squad accomplished this season and next season will be a fresh start to begin with.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to say I saw more good, but I can't.

BakhT seeming to stay healthy on his knee was nice. Watson made some strides and is going to be a force. Savage may have found a spot as slot corner for next year rather than being a wasted 8M on the bench. Was happy with our kicking game, returns and coverages for the most part. Some hiccups, but some reasons to get excited too.
lots of bad and ugly after last nights game. Seemed anything they had built upon the past 4-5 weeks was nothing but regression to all of the stuff that was doing them in all season long. Killed pretty much any growth I saw and left a bad taste.

Quay was unfocused energy making mistakes and making them fast to start the year. Started to turn a corner and was making plays with that speed and last night was unfocused energy that cost us dearly, again.

Defense played well, but couldn't stop them when they really needed to, again.

Offensively we couldn't run well and couldn't build anything off it. Dropped pass, miscommunications between pass catchers and QB in big moments and some bad throws. offensive line seemed to be coming together, but got completely dominated by a pretty mediocre defense, again.

and with so much to play for, they played one of their worst games, again.

I hope they learned a lot of lessons or something this year but I don't see a springboard for growth this offseason. I see lots of question marks and lots of holes. It's not all doom and gloom, but our trajectory isn't exactly pointing up.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Our stars from 20 and 21 didn't play like stars consistently. Hopefully next year we'll see a few guys emerge as stars and some of the past stars will regain their consistency. We'll be fine if that happens.

D

Deleted member 6794

Christon Watson finally found his footing mid-season and that really changed this offense. Once he understands the game better and gels with Rodgers ( Or Love if Rodgers retires) he can be a quite lethal WR with his speed. Combined with Romeo Doubs we have a good one two combo for top of the WR depth chart going forward.

I'm not convinced Watson and Doubs will develop into a #1 and #2 receiver combo good enough to win a Super Bowl at some point down the road. The Packers might need to add another piece to the receiving corps for that to happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I guess this is as good a spot as any for vomiting out reflections overall. The good and bad quick thoughts....lot more just won't list it all

Good

- The 2022 draft class provided a LOT of solid snaps on both sides of the ball. Does that guarantee sophomore seasons you see progress or growth? No, see Newman as a recent example...but that class provided:
- Tom who saw 489 snaps (which is roughly half a year's worth), graded out (PFF) as our third best OL (Bakh and Jenkins better)
- Two WRs who saw over 500 snaps (Lazard for reference saw 863) who combined for 1,036 yards / 10 TDs and each at 62% catch percentage.
- A starting ILB in Quay, that if he matures past an adolescent I think will be an EXCELLENT starter for GB for years to come. He started clicking last half dozen games or so a lot.
- Kingsley Enagbare illustrated to the world why I VERY early on last year felt he was a fringe 1st rounder (I came off this for the record) but still, dude came up big when Gary went down.
- Wyatt like Quay needs to mature, but oh the flashes he showed down the stretch confirm he can be something solid.
- Carpenter/Toure both contributed some snaps throughout the year
- The growth of second year guys
- McDuffie appears to be a decent to possibly above average depth type guy to bring in and cover injuries
- Slaton is starting to find his groove along the front. Quietly this man progressed a ton this season. His snap counts progressed, his production increased...
- Bakh proved when healthy he is still a top 3 or 5 LT in the NFL
- VERY limited play, Love showed promise
- Nixon brought a return game to GB we haven't seen in years

Bad

-MLF/Rodgers combo both regressed
-Defense was terribly underachieving till bye week break
-WR room rarely ever healthy
-Sammy Watkins experiment failed
-Dillon started first half of year sluggish and I still swear he had some kind of health issue nagging him.
-Joe Barry was the most worthless DC in the league nearly for two thirds of the season
-Team mental discipline seemed at its worst in recent memory
-Tonyan simply not same threat many of hoped for (many of us suspected he wasn't anyways)
-Second year guy issues:
- Stokes injury halted progression chance
- SJC is still not breaking into even being active most games...
- Newman lost his starting role and rightfully so...
- Amari/Hill/Cole Van Lanen all gone now...

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Watson and Doubs will develop into a #1 and #2 receiver combo good enough to win a Super Bowl at some point down the road. The Packers might need to add another piece to the receiving corps for that to happen.
Michael Mayer.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would be a great option! If he is there at 15..nab him and don't look back! If not grab the best ol available.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon was a nice surprise. O'Donnell was pretty consistent punting and holding. Coco didnt **** up too badly.Rudy Ford made some nice plays.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Good:

Christian Watson, Kisean Nixon, and getting revenge on Vikings

The Bad:

Joe Barry, Sammy Watkins, Gutenkust, MLF's constant waffling, and Unprofessionalism

The Ugly:

The plateau of Aaron Rodgers and the closing of the championship window

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Good:

The Bad:

Joe Barry, Sammy Watkins, Gutenkust, MLF's constant waffling, and Unprofessionalism

The Ugly:

I concur. I'd add Mark Murphy to the bad. What does he do for $$? The Cap should also be there for The Ugly. Thanks to Gute, Murphy, we're severly challenged for at least a couple years.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to say I saw more good, but I can't.

BakhT seeming to stay healthy on his knee was nice. Watson made some strides and is going to be a force. Savage may have found a spot as slot corner for next year rather than being a wasted 8M on the bench. Was happy with our kicking game, returns and coverages for the most part. Some hiccups, but some reasons to get excited too.
lots of bad and ugly after last nights game. Seemed anything they had built upon the past 4-5 weeks was nothing but regression to all of the stuff that was doing them in all season long. Killed pretty much any growth I saw and left a bad taste.

Quay was unfocused energy making mistakes and making them fast to start the year. Started to turn a corner and was making plays with that speed and last night was unfocused energy that cost us dearly, again.

Defense played well, but couldn't stop them when they really needed to, again.

Offensively we couldn't run well and couldn't build anything off it. Dropped pass, miscommunications between pass catchers and QB in big moments and some bad throws. offensive line seemed to be coming together, but got completely dominated by a pretty mediocre defense, again.

and with so much to play for, they played one of their worst games, again.

I hope they learned a lot of lessons or something this year but I don't see a springboard for growth this offseason. I see lots of question marks and lots of holes. It's not all doom and gloom, but our trajectory isn't exactly pointing up.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the coaching was just not good enough. A veteran team can get buy in many aspects with experienced players in leadership roles. A Ray Lewis, a Brian Uhrlacher, a Charles Woodson, a Brady, or a Peyton Manning could have made a difference not just because THEY make plays but they teach and inspire OTHER players to perform.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

Other than signing Rodgers to that extension why else do you list Gute under "Bad"? I am one that does NOT crucify him for that move because Gute (and most others) didn't know Rodgers would decline like he did last offseason.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than signing Rodgers to that extension why else do you list Gute under "Bad"? I am one that does NOT crucify him for that move because Gute (and most others) didn't know Rodgers would decline like he did last offseason.

He shouldn't have traded all that draft capital to select Love without having a plan that was clear and direct.

He along with MLF seem to be reactive as opposed to proactive with the roster.

I have no opinon on the Rodgers extension. He had all the leverage and he used it as he should. That move was necessary.

I am not one to crucify anyone for their decisions, but we're all entitled to our opinions.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He shouldn't have traded all that draft capital to select Love without having a plan that was clear and direct.

He along with MLF seem to be reactive as opposed to proactive with the roster.

I have no opinon on the Rodgers extension. He had all the leverage and he used it as he should. That move was necessary.

I am not one to crucify anyone for their decisions, but we're all entitled to our opinions.
so you know there wasn’t a plan?
what if there was a plan that Rodgers was going to be gone after 2022? But something happened

to say there wasn’t a plan implies you know there wasnt a plan. So how do you know?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so you know there wasn’t a plan?
what if there was a plan that Rodgers was going to be gone after 2022? But something happened

to say there wasn’t a plan implies you know there wasnt a plan. So how do you know?

So the Packer's grand plan was to have an albatross contract extension?

A 1st round pick that required multiple picks to acquire sitting the bench essentially for four years without significant game action?

Wow....nice plan...

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Add Amari to the bad even though we finally let him go. Hurt us for a good part of the season.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll still be waiting to see how it made ANY sense to give Rodgers that deal, and I said it last spring, in fact I said it before the 2021 season. Maybe there’s some magic way Green Bay moves on from His Arrogance, but I don’t see it. Another year of pouty underachievement. Soooooo ready to move on, but I think we’ll get one more year of his eye rolling finger pointing victimhood.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing how badly SF is whooping the Hawks has me almost relieved we didn't beat the Lions. D2 team at best this year. Please, cut him loose and let's move on.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

A 1st round pick that required multiple picks to acquire sitting the bench essentially for four years without significant game action?

Wow....nice plan...
Your the one that claimed no plan.. I simply said there might have been a plan and what they thought..I think they had the plan he would be gone after 2022 .
this has been re hashed for years.

But he had a re birth and played mvp level, that hurt their plan

if you can’t understand that then I can’t help you

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your the one that claimed no plan.. I simply said there might have been a plan and what they thought..I think they had the plan he would be gone after 2022 .
this has been re hashed for years.

But he had a re birth and played mvp level, that hurt their plan

if you can’t understand that then I can’t help you
What you are more or less describing here is having a plan but lacking the conviction to see it through.

And at the end of the day… having a plan but not having the courage to stick to it is effectively just as good (if not worse, tbh) than not having a plan in the first place.

I don’t think the problem is that Gute didn’t have a plan, it’s that he had a plan and then as soon as things got tricky he didn’t have the stones to stick to it. I’d have a lot more respect/confidence in him as a leader if he simply chose to firmly plant his flag and either commit to going all-in on Love for the future or all-in on Rodgers for the present. As it stands he’s refused to commit all-in to either and is trying to satisfy both outcomes which has not worked out thus far.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow....nice plan...
TT didn't use picks to move up to take Rodgers (we got lucky that he fell to us) but Rodgers sat behind a HOF QB for a couple of years too. Had Favre not "retired" after the 2007 season I believe he would have been our starter in 2008.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What you are more or less describing here is having a plan but lacking the conviction to see it through.

And at the end of the day… having a plan but not having the courage to stick to it is effectively just as good (if not worse, tbh) than not having a plan in the first place.

I don’t think the problem is that Gute didn’t have a plan, it’s that he had a plan and then as soon as things got tricky he didn’t have the stones to stick to it. I’d have a lot more respect/confidence in him as a leader if he simply chose to firmly plant his flag and either commit to going all-in on Love for the future or all-in on Rodgers for the present. As it stands he’s refused to commit all-in to either and is trying to satisfy both outcomes which has not worked out thus far.
It would have been suicide to dump Rodgers after 2021 . When Love was drafted they were betting on him declining as he has been since 2019.

B4 anyone dissects that notion. He was declining in HIS normal performance.

Then he did something no one saw coming and that was be mvp 2 years in a row

Not sure why it is so hard to to grasp for some .

But I believe that was the plan

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just can't envision an NFL GM trading away his reigning MVP. It has never happened in league history. You don't think giving Rodgers that kind of an extension isn't going all-in (it would have been nice to have a better stable of WRs for AR to throw to for sure)? It is clear last spring management didn't feel Love was quite ready to take over but is showing enough promise to keep developing him. I have no problem with these decisions that were made with the circumstances of the moment. We have the luxury of 20/20 hindsight.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT didn't use picks to move up to take Rodgers (we got lucky that he fell to us) but Rodgers sat behind a HOF QB for a couple of years too. Had Favre not "retired" after the 2007 season I believe he would have been our starter in 2008.

Ok?...

I don't understand your point.

While the QB successions share similarities, my focus is Rodgers to Love.

Members online

Latest posts