WR1....what does that HAVE to mean or what MIGHT it mean for 2022?

Reaction score
it's samori, but yes, i would love to see that. sadly, he hasn't had many (any?) mentions in the ota coverage that i've seen.
Ok.
I do recall some tape of Rodgers working on Samori. I also remember Rodgers naming Toure in an interview, which at the time gave me the impression there was either some history with those 2 or he just likes the kid? Just going off memories. I watch lots of video clips and interviews with various players, so please don’t ask me to find those links. ;)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me too.
By Yards:
Doubs
Lazard
Watson
Rodgers
Watkins
Those guys on the roster not listed sum total
Cobb

By receptions:
Lazard
Rodgers
Watkins
Doubs
Watson
Cobb
The other guys
So you like Romeo as the long threat? He's fast, he runs good routes, and I bet he leads the team in YAC. They may have stumbled in a winner. When was he drafted? 4th round?

D

Deleted member 6794

If that's our wide receiver group for this season, we're not going anywhere.

I don't expect the Packers to make any moves at the position before the start of the season. They might bring in a veteran if they struggle during the season though.

Oh I agree with you. He's just a last chance option late in the season. I'd rather not have him on the team or in the locker room. Very talented guy, but a head case.

OBJ proved that he can stay focused in the right situation with the Rams last year.

I agree that him having had surgery for a torn ACL in late February makes it close to impossible for him to get on the field until late in the season.

That would make it extremely difficult for him to have an impact with a new team this year.

By Yards:
Doubs
Lazard
Watson
Rodgers
Watkins
Those guys on the roster not listed sum total
Cobb

Doubs as the leading receiver in yards is an interesting guess. We might need to monitor how that prediction ends up working out ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Doubs as the leading receiver in yards is an interesting guess. We might need to monitor how that prediction ends up working out
I expect the first four I listed to all be in the 6-800 yard range anyway. If Watkins stays healthy he can join them. Except for comfort level, I think Cobb is a wasted roster spot this season. He's just taking snaps but will have a vital grab or three to justify it. Much like Driver was here one season past his sell by date.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the first four I listed to all be in the 6-800 yard range anyway. If Watkins stays healthy he can join them. Except for comfort level, I think Cobb is a wasted roster spot this season. He's just taking snaps but will have a vital grab or three to justify it. Much like Driver was here one season past his sell by date.
I agree about Cobb. I know he's best buddies with Rodgers, but if that prevents adding someone, somewhere who can help the team more, it might be time to say bye to Cobb.

I really like the guy. In his prime he was a key part of the GB offense. And even this year, with the rookies, he plays an invaluable "big brother" role. So maybe one more season.

Above all, I hope he proves me wrong and has a kick *** season.

Reaction score
I agree about Cobb. I know he's best buddies with Rodgers, but if that prevents adding someone, somewhere who can help the team more, it might be time to say bye to Cobb.

I really like the guy. In his prime he was a key part of the GB offense. And even this year, with the rookies, he plays an invaluable "big brother" role. So maybe one more season.

Above all, I hope he proves me wrong and has a kick *** season.
This year it’s a good thing Cobb was here. He took a leadership role with the Rookies on behalf of Rodgers. Obviously there’s also a big connection with him an Amari.
I do Still think his veteran experience could pay off if someone injures. In that 500-750 yards 5-6 TD range wouldn’t surprise me.

I agree though they need to phase him out this year. Great Packer though I’m glad he could have an opportunity to finish his career here.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year it’s a good thing Cobb was here. He took a leadership role with the Rookies on behalf of Rodgers. Obviously there’s also a big connection with him an Amari.
I do Still think his veteran experience could pay off if someone injures. In that 500-750 yards 5-6 TD range wouldn’t surprise me.

I agree though they need to phase him out this year.
Yeah it's really hard to know what to do with Cobb. MLF and Gluten will figure it out. I'd be delighted if he had 500-750 yards and 5-6 TDs! That's ambitious but Cobb is the kind of guy that will try his best to step up. It would be great if Amari Rodgers turned into a solid slot receiver.

Reaction score
Yeah it's really hard to know what to do with Cobb. MLF and Gluten will figure it out. I'd be delighted if he had 500-750 yards and 5-6 TDs! That's ambitious but Cobb is the kind of guy that will try his best to step up. It would be great if Amari Rodgers turned into a solid slot receiver.
That’s the thing. The jury is still out deliberating, but this should be the transition year where Amari elevates his game, while Cobb descends. As I mentioned Cobb could still be effective, especially if someone goes down. Yet it’s time to test these newer guys as they are our future now.

It’s such a unique year. As a young WR it’s a rare opportunity to play for any team with no bonafide #1 WR. There’s about 9-10 passes per game in line for distribution for whoever wants them just from the void left by Adams. Add to that a premium QB tossing the ball. For the most part it’s a wide open position battle. Even Watkins probably only has a couple years left and he’s out. Same with Cobb, he’s wrapping up.

Whichever young player wants it the most? Our young receivers basically have the keys to a Maserati for the taking.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s the thing. The jury is still out deliberating, but this should be the transition year where Amari elevates his game, while Cobb descends. As I mentioned Cobb could still be effective, especially if someone goes down. Yet it’s time to test these newer guys as they are our future now.

It’s such a unique year. As a young WR it’s a rare opportunity to play for any team with no bonafide #1 WR. There’s about 9-10 passes per game in line for distribution for whoever wants them just from the void left by Adams. Add to that a premium QB tossing the ball. For the most part it’s a wide open position battle. Even Watkins probably only has a couple years left and he’s out. Same with Cobb, he’s wrapping up.

Whichever young player wants it the most? Our young receivers basically have the keys to a Maserati for the taking.
Good point. Whichever rookie WR performs the best will be the one who works hardest - and that means learning the playbook, learning what Rodgers wants and expects, and relentlessly practices, practices, practices - and spends the most time in the weight room, the film room, and with the coaches.

We're spoiled by Rodgers and Adams because both of them work so hard. I think a lot of people are expecting Watson to win the rookie battle. My money is on Doubs. Actually I'd be happy if they were both at the top.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree it's possible no receiver finishes the season with more than 800 yards. I'm just surprised you chose Doubs to lead the team in that category.

In addition I hope Cobb will do better than you expect him to.

Reaction score
I agree it's possible no receiver finishes the season with more than 800 yards. I'm just surprised you chose Doubs to lead the team in that category.

I agree. I could more see Doubs pulling out ahead in year 2-3. Obviously no one knows, but expecting a Rookie to beat out all 3 veterans? Lazard, Cobb and Sammy?

Listen if it happens I’d be elated. I do think Doubs could develop into a solid #2 option inside a couple years though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I could more see Doubs pulling out ahead in year 2-3. Obviously no one knows, but expecting a Rookie to beat out all 3 veterans? Lazard, Cobb and Sammy?

Listen if it happens I’d be elated. I do think Doubs could develop into a solid #2 option inside a couple years though.
That only happens if MASSIVE injury bug hits them

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's hard to predict with Cobb. For what he's expected to do - slot receiver and convert third downs - I think he's still got it. 33 oe 34 isn't that old....... When he's hot, he's hot. When he's not, he's injured. I think this will be his last year in GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard to predict with Cobb. For what he's expected to do - slot receiver and convert third downs - I think he's still got it. 33 oe 34 isn't that old....... When he's hot, he's hot. When he's not, he's injured. I think this will be his last year in GB.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Cobb to put up huge numbers but hopefully he will still provide a reliable target for Rodgers when protection breaks down or in the red zone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Cobb to put up huge numbers but hopefully he will still provide a reliable target for Rodgers when protection breaks down or in the red zone.
Agreed. And in his career, Cobb has done that a lot (been a reliable target for Rodgers). The chemistry he has with Rodgers is solid. If he stays healthy, he'll play an important role this year. And his experience will be good for the new guys. I'd be ecstatic if he put up 500 yards and 3 to 5 TDs this year. I expect he'll convert a good number of 3rd downs as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Cobb will retire after this year. He had a great start in GB and the NFL. Injury seemed to be his nemesis. Good guy, maybe just time to call at a career.

But we'll see about this year. things are pretty wide open for the WRs with Adams and MVS gone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just joking...kind of, with the another WR thread crack.

While I am not real excited by our WRs as a group I do think there is good reason tobe somewhat excited by some of the individuals. The main reason IMO to temper excitement is the lack of consistent production. Be it injuries (Cobb & Watkins) rookies (Watson & Doubs) these guys have to be consistent. In that respect Lazard may be the most exciting simply because he is young but experienced and he had been improving.

Still,. I love what a healthy Watkins and Cobb could bring. I love what potential, especially for the future, that Watson and Doubs have and as a bonus I think we have the best backfield in the league and they can both catch the ball.

I said it before, I think the wild card here is Aaron Rodgers. If even a half a dozen of our pass catchers can either step up or stay up I think he can light it up again. I certainly hope they can. I'll even say I think they can (my optimism showing through) but I won't go so far as to say they will.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see another 4,000 plus yard passing season. More important, I'd like to see 35 to 40 passing TDs. Both are doable. If the D can live up to its billing, the offense will be on the field a lot more. With no real superstars amongst the WRs/TEs, keep the passes shorter, the runs longer, control TOP, and we'll all be happy.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we see another 4,000 plus yard passing season. More important, I'd like to see 35 to 40 passing TDs. Both are doable. If the D can live up to its billing, the offense will be on the field a lot more. With no real superstars amongst the WRs/TEs, keep the passes shorter, the runs longer, control TOP, and we'll all be happy.
I agree. Theres another aspect that an opportunistic or stingy Defense can provide. That’s our O taking more 4th down and short tries once you cross the 50 (but on the edge of FG) or going for it on 4th n Goal from <3 yards to go.

Obviously it depends on the opponent and the flow of the game (who’s winning in the trenches etc.) This is where having a 247lb RB who runs a 4.5 is key.

Also, even if you get stopped at the 1 yard line. It changes the plays our opponent can run. Suddenly we have a DL and LB group that can keep teams at 2 and 9 or 3rd and 6 type distance. Often getting them punting from inside the the 20 and starting near midfield again.

That was why I was so surprised in the 2020 Tampa game. We had 1st and Goal from the 8 and Dillon was averaging 6 per. You’ve got 4 tries if you just get inside the 2-3 yard line and worse case you leave them on your 1 yard line. That’s essentially 3 tries to get 5-6 yards and you can mix it with pass and run. We sometimes underutilize our RB’s imo

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts