Packers $13.3 beneath the salary cap

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a story from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about the Packers' cap situation. I was actually surprised that they are only in ninth place in the league in terms of available cap space. I thought they would be in the top three. Maybe Thompson is not the extreme penny-pincher that many fans believe him to be.

I was pleased to see that they have so little "dead money" on their payroll (Ahmad Carroll is the only biggie), and I noticed that virtually all of those players are Sherman's mistakes. (The only real exception is Corey Rodgers, and maybe Kevin Barry, who joined the Packers during the Sherman era but may have been resigned by Thompson.)

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=644740

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Ted has done a nice job of managing the salary cap while putting a competitive product on the field. (take that however you want to)

I think that this year will even be to early to tell how Ted has really done. I believe that the following year will be when Ted should be evaluated. His players will by then be firmly seated into the GB Packers squad.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Ted has done a nice job of managing the salary cap while putting a competitive product on the field. (take that however you want to)

I think that this year will even be to early to tell how Ted has really done. I believe that the following year will be when Ted should be evaluated. His players will by then be firmly seated into the GB Packers squad.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. I do expect to see significant improvement this year, but too many things would have to go as well as expected, or better, for them to be contenders this year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. I think this is a BIG year that will tell you if Ted Thompson as a GM is a flop or not.

-This is mostly his players(still some Sherman contracts, but nearly as many)
-All his coaching staff (Mike McCarthy? Who?!)

I'm not saying Superbowl or bust or anything, but this is a key year. Football fans can tell when a team is going to be good or not down the road. All signs point to yes, a good team, but we'll see what happens on the football field.

As far as the cap money goes, I dunno what will be done with it. Maybe some key guys get more respect money like Driver did, maybe a couple of low key FA signings(Dendy, Gado) or maybe a big name FA pickup(Woodson).

Ted has done all three of those, so...it all depends on what is available and how the team looks. I trust management to make the right moves.

GB is gonna be nice this year, baby!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a little disappointing that we're only in 9th place going into the salary cap competition this year, but there's still a few weeks before the regular season starts for us to improve our standing.

I also agree that it's too early to judge the performance of Ted as a GM. It'll probably take another 6-7 years before we can truly appreciate the job he has done.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a little disappointing that we're only in 9th place going into the salary cap competition this year, but there's still a few weeks before the regular season starts for us to improve our standing.

I also agree that it's too early to judge the performance of Ted as a GM. It'll probably take another 6-7 years before we can truly appreciate the job he has done.

So what you're saying is...nothing. If that's all you have to contribute, let me suggest the following web site:

www.firetedthompson.com

It looks like they're badly in need of contributors.

Reaction score
Lare, you're sarcasm makes me laugh, but I can understand (to a certain extent) where you are coming from.

I think Ted has to get improved results this year, especially against the top tier teams in the NFL. We're 2-12 against playoff bounds teams under Ted, and any way you cut it, that isn't impressive. Ted maintains that he is trying to win now, well that should mean the Packers are able to at least compete with the top teams for 60 minutes.

With that said, I still think Ted needs another year to build a year-in year-out contender, so I'm willing to give him that time, albeit a bit reluctantly since I want the Packers to win now.

But anything less than competing for a full 60 minutes against top tier teams would mean there is a serious problem with the players and/or coaches... both of whom Ted is responsible for. If the results are similar to last years games against the Bears (home opener), Eagles, Jets, etc. Ted needs to be held accountable, and suffer the appropriate consequences for not doing his job.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well aadp, it's obvious that others don't appreciate my wry sense of humor as much as you. I guess I just don't take this all as seriously as some people do.

But I do agree with you and trom that this is a make or break year for Ted Thompson. I have said on many occasions that there's things he's done quite well as GM for the Packers thus far (salary cap management, choosing Mike McCarthy as HC, improved team depth) but at some point he has to put a competitive team on the football field. That is what this game is all about.

And I wasn't being sarcastic when I said it'll be 6-7 years before we can truly judge TTs performance IMO. It'll take a few years before some of the players he's drafting now reach their full potential. Although most of Sherman's players are gone, this team still has a significant influence (several starters) on it from Ron Wolf's tenure which speaks well of his decisions on acquiring them.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well aadp, it's obvious that others don't appreciate my wry sense of humor as much as you. I guess I just don't take this all as seriously as some people do.

I truly think that is the problem people have with you. sarcasm doesn't translate well over a message board, and people read what you write and think that all you do all day long is brood over your next Thompson smear. I like your posts because they're funny and they make me think about Ted's contributions to the organization. I generally like where we're going but your posts force me to examine parts of the team that i normally wouldn't. Don't get bent because people get up in arms when you post your thoughts... But i really didn't need to write that because i know you don't.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was nearly stoned by the rabble-rousers for making this suggestion before free agency: why didn't TT "franchise" Ahman Green?

I suspect this: Ted thought he could hire a rookie cheaper than that and they would be "ok" with Morency.

Well, Morency is hurt(as are a few wannabe's) and now the high draft pick is going to get the stuffins beat out of him.

If Green was franchised, Ted still could have drafted Jackson, made him the third-down back, featured Green relieved by Morency. Not a bad setup.

When the year was up, Green could go(he would have gotten about 7 million this season so he wouldn't have been poor) he would have gotten free agency, and the Packers would have had an experienced pair of backs to build on.

Now that we have $13 mill of cap space, what good is it with talent elsewhere?

To the rabble-rousers: my bruises have healed and do you still think I'm crazy?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although you raise some pretty good points net, I don't know if I'd agree with franchising Green. But that's only because I think we could have acquired a younger back with far more future upside for the same or less money.

Hopefully everything works out this year, but I have a nagging feeling that we're one more RB knee injury away from having to spend two or three times as much money to address a position than we could have a couple of months ago. And this isn't an easy scheme to bring a RB into and expect them to be effective early on.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a nagging feeling that we're one more RB knee injury away from having to spend two or three times as much money to address a position than we could have a couple of months ago.

C'mon Lare, are you new?

TT wouldn't do that. If Jackson and Mo went down with an injury, He wouldn't spend 3x as much money on another RB....he'd spend $250 on some no name guy we've ever heard of.

Lets at least be consistent here.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
[
C'mon Lare, are you new?

TT wouldn't do that. If Jackson and Mo went down with an injury, He wouldn't spend 3x as much money on another RB....he'd spend $250 on some no name guy we've ever heard of.

Glad to see you joined the club, his track record is completely clear, only waiver wire transactions from here til the end of the year. Unless someone offers him a deal he cannot refuse.

I expect Wynn to be put on the Practice Squad and will start a game or two this year. That or it will be an undrafted free agent that was cut from another team. Ya know... he struck gold with Gado once... Ted will go fishing again :thumbsup:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there's a club?

all you have to do is see what TT has done the last couple of years to know how he works.

Saying "He will go crazy during FA this year!" is a silly statement, because nothing he has done would point to that happening.

Saying "he will draft a lot of players" isn't so silly, because he has a track record of doing that.

TT doesn't go crazy with midseason transactions, so why would he this year? Especially when he and his staff are happy with their crew?

Pack93z

Reaction score
In this article he has a quote...

"Quite frankly, every team goes at it differently," general manager Ted Thompson said Wednesday. "If you think you've got a shot to do something, maybe you become like the Yankees and say, 'OK, fine. We'll go for it.' I'm not knocking the Yankees, but they can throw some money at it and fix it."

To me it sums it up for old Ted, he doesn't view us as having a real shot, so he isn't going to break the bank trying.

Now I am not saying he isn't trying to win or "WIN NOW" but he, by his own words, has deemed us as not having a real chance. We have alot of young and good players, but they will need some seasoning as well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
[
C'mon Lare, are you new?

Glad to see you joined the club, his track record is completely clear, only waiver wire transactions from here til the end of the year. Unless someone offers him a deal he cannot refuse.

I expect Wynn to be put on the Practice Squad and will start a game or two this year. That or it will be an undrafted free agent that was cut from another team. Ya know... he struck gold with Gado once... Ted will go fishing again :thumbsup:

I have to ask.

What team has gone out and spend big money or made a big a trade since July? I really can't think of anyone that has gone out and found a player on the streets who is a big name player or got one from another team. Most of the guys are already in camp and most teams don't want to make a deal until it's time to cut down the roster to 53. Ted missed his chance in free agency to land a big time back. Travis Henry should've been brought in faster in my opinion. If the Packer offensive line excels it won't matter whos back there anyways. That's the make or break until on this team right now. :twocents:

Pack93z

Reaction score
I have to ask.

What team has gone out and spend big money or made a big a trade since July? I really can't think of anyone that has gone out and found a player on the streets who is a big name player or got one from another team. Most of the guys are already in camp and most teams don't want to make a deal until it's time to cut down the roster to 53. Ted missed his chance in free agency to land a big time back. Travis Henry should've been brought in faster in my opinion. If the Packer offensive line excels it won't matter whos back there anyways. That's the make or break until on this team right now. :twocents:

I agree that in season trades are rare, but I think Ted mindset showed a little here. I just read the comment again today, and I re-read it again in context. It explains why he soft peddled some of the moves in the offseason. He is building a good young team, hopefully they will gel and we will take another step forward.

PS Ted... 13 millions is not chump change to get something done.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon Lare, are you new?

I don't think so trom, not this year. I think TT knows he's in the final stages of his career here if he doesn't produce some results soon. So while the $250 special may have worked other years, I'm guessing he'd pull off a move on a Michael Turner or someone comparable if push came to shove.

If not, this may be the last GM job he ever has. I doubt if there's many owners out there that would stand by while their GM failed to solidify a position as important as RB.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love what Thompson has done...I'm not one of these fans who wants the team built around Favre to win this year...because we're not in position to do that. Ted picks and chooses his big paychecks...and his two biggest investments have been Aaron Kampman and Charles Woodson...ok...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
C'mon Lare, are you new?

I don't think so trom, not this year. I think TT knows he's in the final stages of his career here if he doesn't produce some results soon. So while the $250 special may have worked other years, I'm guessing he'd pull off a move on a Michael Turner or someone comparable if push came to shove.

If not, this may be the last GM job he ever has. I doubt if there's many owners out there that would stand by while their GM failed to solidify a position as important as RB.

Well, I think you're wrong. And by that I mean Ted Thompson's bosses don't see it that way (as far as I know, do you know different?)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
tromadz said:
C'mon Lare, are you new?

Well, I think you're wrong. And by that I mean Ted Thompson's bosses don't see it that way (as far as I know, do you know different?)

I think it depends who the head guy is in Green Bay next season. That guy may want his own guy here depending the Pack's success in 07.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to deny the team is starting to look loaded and full of talent (minus the marquand manuels)

The questionable head coach hiring ended up 8-8, which beat a lot of peoples expectations

gee golly maybe he knows what hes doing with the money.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to deny the team is starting to look loaded and full of talent (minus the marquand manuels)

The questionable head coach hiring ended up 8-8, which beat a lot of peoples expectations

gee golly maybe he knows what hes doing with the money.

Can't say as I agree on the team being loaded and full of talent. IMO, there's major questions in some positions (RB, TE, SS) and a lack of consistency in others (SLB, FS, OL, FB, WR).

I think MM has been a pleasant surprise and it's obvious someone at GB Central knows how to manage the salary cap.

But in reality none of this means anything if they can't win games. If not, many people will be wishing someone had done things differently.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ted's comment about go out an get something done was about trading or acquiring a FA. Not about the Packers chances for a SB.

Latest posts