Packer studs and duds - Bears edition

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Studs:
  • James Campen: He got a line ready that featured Lane Taylor and Justin McCray at the OT spots, and they weren't a huge liability. I only recall one moment (the McPhee sack) that looked like a total breakdown. It was a very impressive showing from the coaches and the OL depth on a short week.
  • Rodgers & Co.: Rodgers was brilliant at times behind what, the above point not withstanding, was at times pretty spotty protection. His receivers had great games. Adams should have caught two touchdowns if not for a phantom holding call on McCray-- that botched call might have cost Adams a chunk of the season.
  • Matthews: CMIII has been much closer to his old self so far this season. He's consistently created pressure. When the Packers have their full compliment of guys back in the front seven, I think their pass rush could get pretty nasty.

Duds:
  • That dirty piece of garbage who wanted to play for the Packers once upon a time (lolwedontneedyouhavefunonthebears).
  • Injuries: Many fans have the perception that GB deals with more injuries than most teams. In recent seasons, that has not actually been true but it sure is the case right now.
  • Randall/Rollins: Neither of these guys are worth putting on the field right now if it can be avoided. They were actually better off using four safeties and two corners. As time goes by, it becomes more clear to me that half (at least) of Randall's problem is that he doesn't have the mental toughness for the game.

Good (but not studly):
  • Aaron Jones: Jones was a sparq freak prospect and I think that juice in his running showed itself with his cutting back and bouncing off of contact. I'm not going to try and make more of it than what it was, but I thought he looked competent in his first action and flashed some upside. This game vindicated the use of so many picks on running backs. There was capable depth when needed.
  • Josh Hawkins: I was wondering when he would get his shot. I am drawing exactly zero conclusions about him over a game against the Bears' receivers, but I do think the early returns were fairly positive. Per PFF, he allowed three catches on six targets for a total of 30 yards with one PBU. Just watching him myself, I was glad to see that he wasn't allowing any YAC. Hopefully he will get more time to show what he can do moving forward. The talent is certainly there with him.
  • Brooks: I was (am) critical of TT for not doing a better job in the offseason of bolstering the OLB depth, but he lucked out when the Niners cut Brooks. He's not a world beater, but he's not a liability either. To have a veteran like him who can still be a threat on the edge is huge.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The run defense was also studly. I think the stat I heard was that the Bears were getting on average to the 2.4 yard line against the Steelers before first contact. They couldn't get anything like that going against a Mike Daniels-less Packer front.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Studs:
  • James Campen: He got a line ready that featured Lane Taylor and Justin McCray at the OT spots, and they weren't a huge liability. I only recall one moment (the McPhee sack) that looked like a total breakdown. It was a very impressive showing from the coaches and the OL depth on a short week.
  • Rodgers & Co.: Rodgers was brilliant at times behind what, the above point not withstanding, was at times pretty spotty protection. His receivers had great games. Adams should have caught two touchdowns if not for a phantom holding call on McCray-- that botched call might have cost Adams a chunk of the season.
  • Matthews: CMIII has been much closer to his old self so far this season. He's consistently created pressure. When the Packers have their full compliment of guys back in the front seven, I think their pass rush could get pretty nasty.

Duds:
  • That dirty piece of garbage who wanted to play for the Packers once upon a time (lolwedontneedyouhavefunonthebears).
  • Injuries: Many fans have the perception that GB deals with more injuries than most teams. In recent seasons, that has not actually been true but it sure is the case right now.
  • Randall/Rollins: Neither of these guys are worth putting on the field right now if it can be avoided. They were actually better off using four safeties and two corners. As time goes by, it becomes more clear to me that half (at least) of Randall's problem is that he doesn't have the mental toughness for the game.

Good (but not studly):
  • Aaron Jones: Jones was a sparq freak prospect and I think that juice in his running showed itself with his cutting back and bouncing off of contact. I'm not going to try and make more of it than what it was, but I thought he looked competent in his first action and flashed some upside. This game vindicated the use of so many picks on running backs. There was capable depth when needed.
  • Josh Hawkins: I was wondering when he would get his shot. I am drawing exactly zero conclusions about him over a game against the Bears' receivers, but I do think the early returns were fairly positive. Per PFF, he allowed three catches on six targets for a total of 30 yards with one PBU. Just watching him myself, I was glad to see that he wasn't allowing any YAC. Hopefully he will get more time to show what he can do moving forward. The talent is certainly there with him.
  • Brooks: I was (am) critical of TT for not doing a better job in the offseason of bolstering the OLB depth, but he lucked out when the Niners cut Brooks. He's not a world beater, but he's not a liability either. To have a veteran like him who can still be a threat on the edge is huge.
The defense has a chance to be pretty good if they keep Randall and Rollins off the field as much as possible.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Team confirmed he had no injury.
I didn't see it, but if he walked off the field before the game was over he needs to be inactivated/suspended. Not sure if I'm quiet to cut territory, but I just took a huge step in that direction.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Does Randall think he's OBJ or something? He ain't good enough to get away with that ****. Hope the team makes an example of him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just a few observations...

On Matthews' strip sack, Lowry walked Massie right back into Glennon's lap.

On Clinton-Dix's interception, Clark got some nice push and pressure the passing lane.

Matthews and Lowry were bearing down on Glennon on the Brice interception.

Wright's touchdown pass was just awful technique from Randall. It's like he had already decided that Wright was going to release inside so he took a bad step that way and was completely flat footed when Wright broke out. From what I read out of Ryan Wood's article this morning, it was as much his reaction to the play as it was the play itself that got him benched.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I didn't see it, but if he walked off the field before the game was over he needs to be inactivated/suspended. Not sure if I'm quiet to cut territory, but I just took a huge step in that direction.

You'd think this would be the end for him. If the reports of him pouting and then leaving are true, then he just doesn't have the balls for this game. If they can get House back with this 10 day layoff, then bring up Donatello Brown and let's move forward without Randall.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does Randall think he's OBJ or something? He ain't good enough to get away with that ****. Hope the team makes an example of him.
I think that was their message by benching him. He has the ability, whatever people think about him, he's been playing better and mostly pretty well this year. But then he gets lazy with the call, takes a play off. Whatever the reason for his inconsistencies it needs to stop because he ruined a largely good night by giving up an easy TD. And you don't walk off the field. That's garbage

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think that was their message by benching him. He has the ability, whatever people think about him, he's been playing better and mostly pretty well this year. But then he gets lazy with the call, takes a play off. Whatever the reason for his inconsistencies it needs to stop because he ruined a largely good night by giving up an easy TD. And you don't walk off the field. That's garbage

Exactly. So if their punishment for his reaction was a benching, then what comes of him leaving?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. So if their punishment for his reaction was a benching, then what comes of him leaving?
I would think deactivating/team suspension at the very least. Probably wishful thinking on my part hoping he gets it mentally because I hate seeing wasted talent, but if he can't be counted on or held accountable, he's not worth much to us.

An outright release would t surprise me either. But he's here. A season as a nothing might be enough to humble him though I doubt it

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So as best as I can tell, Randall got benched, sat down with the inactives, and then left? So that's going well.

I wasn't able to watch the whole game but I did see the play when Randall was beat and after the play he was throwing up his hands. He was talking but it didn't look like to anyone. Seemed like he was already coming up with excuses as to why he messed up the play.

I also missed the hit on Davante so I can't comment, but hopefully he is fine....heard that he was arguing with the doctors at the hospital that he wanted to be discharged so that he could go back to Lambeau. :laugh:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Studs
Tony Romo. I said he was good and just needed more experience, but I'm reversing gears. He is fun and verbally excited by the game. Great insight I have never heard before. He is unique and becoming more polished will tone down his natural excitement.
I absolutely agree with this. He is unpolished, of course, but I am really impressed with his insight-- he is calling plays before they happen, he points things out real time, and he clearly has passion for the game. In short, he is interesting to listen to. He's got a future in broadcasting for sure.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope he never gets polished. He loves the game, you can tell, and he announces it like someone excited about the game and happens to know all the ins and out's as well.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
i hope he never gets polished. He loves the game, you can tell, and he announces it like someone excited about the game and happens to know all the ins and out's as well.

What I was meaning was how to speak clearer, reduce the "ums" and "ahs"-- the stuff that comes with being able to speak clearly in front of people. Takes practice and training.

Other than that, I agree with you entirely. Leave the boring play-by-play talk to the Joe Bucks of the world.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Romo obviously has great knowledge of his craft. I have really enjoyed the last 2 games, hearing him talk X's and O's and not trying to sound smart in doing it, nor overdue it. Just giving fans good insight into what is actually happening on the field. Prefer that over some fluff piece or commentary about the same thing over and over. AR is a great QB, but only so many times a game do I need to hear commentators gush about him like they were talking to someone that has never heard of the guy. Guessing, that gets even more annoying to the fans of opposing teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion Justin Vogel deserves to be mentioned as a stud as well. While he's still a bit inconsistent he definitely has to ability to alter field position in the Packers' favor.

I think that was their message by benching him. He has the ability, whatever people think about him, he's been playing better and mostly pretty well this year. But then he gets lazy with the call, takes a play off.

Randall hasn't performed on a decent level this season by any means. Maybe you should re-watch the Falcons game to evaluate his play.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Hawk played with speed and aggression but sometime his positioning could have been better. I remember one fade to the corner of the end zone where he just looked awkward going up for the ball and wasn't even able to adjust to it but evidently still got in the way just enough.

To me he looks like one of those guys who could fine tune his technique but he manages to make up for it with heart and raw talent, kinda like Sam Shields during his first year in the league.

H

HardRightEdge

My game ball goes to the O-Line. That was a heck of a performance for a patchwork of guys without much of a resume.

In particular, Lane Taylor! Who would have thought.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing he got an extension before he filled in for a tackle or he might have gotten paid at a different position :)

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I actually saw Ahmad Brooks make a couple of splash plays. Would love to see that guy and Dial step up and add some depth. I do think we found our best packers player replacement for Cutler in Glennon. Hope they stick with him.

It is amazing to me to be 3-1 with no tackles, Jordy and Cobb missing games and Daniels out.

Lets get some rest, get healthy and on to Dem Cowboys!

D

Deleted member 6794

I do think we found our best packers player replacement for Cutler in Glennon. Hope they stick with him.

I fully expect the Bears having turned to Trubisky by the time the teams meet again in week 10 at Chicago.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right with everything you're saying, but what's even more egregious to me is leading with the helmet directing into Davante's helmet, and then to your point he was already wrapped up and was going no where.

Just an absolute disgusting play by Trevathan. There should be absolutely no place in today's NFL for hits like that.
Hell, there never was a place for it. They used to call that spearing. I can't understand for the life of my why that lump of putrid excrement wasn't ejected. The play was essentially over and he clearly did it on purpose. I hope someone takes his ******** head off soon.

Members online

Latest posts