Studs and Duds Packers vs Browns pre wk 1

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off just IMO of what I saw tonight. You can't help but just to feel excited for Joe I think he played well. Not bad coming out of d 3. Anyways he is a raw prospect I expect him to make the practice squad. Biggest thing I think was that he didn't throw any picks I bet big mike is happy about that. M Williams is just a camp arm but nonetheless good for him
Was hoping to see more of Kenny Clark.
Bradford looked like he was hitting pretty hard wrapping up them tackles he sucked his first preseason before getting injured.. Demitri Goodson is taking up a roster spot didn't like his performance. But big Justin made some nice plays tonight he just doesn't drop the ball.. But nothing after the catch... If he can block he is #3 and I think the punting competition is heating up lets see if mortell can hold the ball for Crosby if he can they may have something in him.. Anyways just my opinion tonight few other guys looked good too burks Brice it's hard to see with just 1 game but nice to see a win anyways go pack

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where the hell was Davante AAdam?Did he even get a target. Seemed like Callahan looked for Perillo and Abby most the time. Ive trashed Carl Bradford since being drafted '14. But I must admit he looked like a totally different ball player. Would like to see how he performs vs Oakland. One big play that stood out was when Terrell Pryor beat Randall deep down the sideline. Randall was flat outran and gave up big completion. Cant have that happen week 1 vs Allen Robinson who is much much better than Pryor. Another stand out play was Fackrell beating the LT outside for monster sack. Looking good thus far Pack

D

Deleted member 6794

But big Justin made some nice plays tonight he just doesn't drop the ball.. But nothing after the catch... If he can block he is #3

Perillo was a pleasant surprise yesterday. While he offers next to nothing after the catch he offers a reliable target to move the chains. Currently he's the clear front-runner to grab the third spot on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

Where the hell was Davante AAdam?Did he even get a target.

I think Adams only played one series and wasn't targeted at all. It was pretty obvious Callahan was primarily looking to attack the Browns defense over the middle looking for the team's tight ends.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Adams only played one series and wasn't targeted at all. It was pretty obvious Callahan was primarily looking to attack the Browns defense over the middle looking for the team's tight ends.
It was definitely a night for tight ends!
Perillo made the most of it for sure.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perillo made some tough catches for a big buy, 2 in particular. Hands like that will secure a spot on the team. Backman also had a couple nice catches. Seems more dynamic, but Perillo made more plays overall. It's an interesting battle going on.

I thought Callahan was very good considering where he came from and starting last night. Just think back to what our preseason games always looked like after Rodgers was done a few years ago. With Graham Harrell and those other guys, that was so awful to watch. This kid, though not perfect, played well. I'm happy for him. I thought he showed mostly good decisions. a little hesitant at time, but that's expected. Overall played like he belonged and could drive the ball when he needed to.

I didn't really watch Bradford on a play by play, but he did make 2 that really stood out when he drove on the pass catcher and delivered quite a pop. That was exciting to see. Hopefully he gains some confidence and we can see his ability this year. It's make or break time for him as everyone knows.

Abbrederis had some catches, 1 I thought was good for a 1st down, but none of the rest really stood out. Pretty ho hum in the punt returns too, until that last one and it got everyone, players included, out of their seats. It was fun to see. But besides that i thought nothing really stood out. He didn't hurt his chances at all, that's not what I'm saying, but outside of that punt, not a lot jumps out last night. At least for me.

It was nice to see Cook get in and make some plays. Nothing outstanding, but he caught everything thrown at him and he was just activated.

Didn't get to see Martinez much. Made a nice blitz or 2, but bounced off an attempted tackle and that didn't look good.

I suppose this is supposed to be studs and duds

Duds, Goodson for sure.

D

Deleted member 6794

Abbrederis had some catches, 1 I thought was good for a 1st down, but none of the rest really stood out. Pretty ho hum in the punt returns too, until that last one and it got everyone, players included, out of their seats. It was fun to see. But besides that i thought nothing really stood out. He didn't hurt his chances at all, that's not what I'm saying, but outside of that punt, not a lot jumps out last night. At least for me.

Abbrederis caught both catchable balls thrown his way for first downs, breaking a tackle on one to move the chains. He didn't do anything special but was solid playing in an offense centered around the running game and passes over the middle to tight ends.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent game for the Pack, for the first game of the season, I was very pleased with how sharp they looked. When you consider they played two rookie FA QBs who were quite raw and they looked good, well, Im excited for the season.

Although the Browns will be a marginal team this season, we were short some important starters. I think our talent level is the deepest it has ever been in my lifetime. I expect several of our rookies to be big contributers much earlier than I expected.

It's going to be a great season!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Callahan targeted the WR's/TE's he was used to throwing to the most in practices and camps etc. Its usually how that works.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe Callahan targeted the WR's/TE's he was used to throwing to the most in practices and camps etc. Its usually how that works.

Callahan connected with Cook, who practiced for the first time on Tuesday, on his first three completions. So I don't think that factored into where the rookie quarterback was going with the ball.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Where the hell was Davante AAdam?Did he even get a target. Seemed like Callahan looked for Perillo and Abby most the time. Ive trashed Carl Bradford since being drafted '14. But I must admit he looked like a totally different ball player. Would like to see how he performs vs Oakland. One big play that stood out was when Terrell Pryor beat Randall deep down the sideline. Randall was flat outran and gave up big completion. Cant have that happen week 1 vs Allen Robinson who is much much better than Pryor. Another stand out play was Fackrell beating the LT outside for monster sack. Looking good thus far Pack
Well, something to consider is that Pryor has long speed that few players in the league can approach. The only player on our team that Pryor relates to is Janis. Allen Robinson is likely a much more polished receiver than Pryor but doesn't remotely possess that long speed ability.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, something to consider is that Pryor has long speed that few players in the league can approach. The only player on our team that Pryor relates to is Janis. Allen Robinson is likely a much more polished receiver than Pryor but doesn't remotely possess that long speed ability.

Nevertheless Randall defended that deep throw terribly.

OP
OP
Snoops

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perillo was a pleasant surprise yesterday. While he offers next to nothing after the catch he offers a reliable target to move the chains. Currently he's the clear front-runner to grab the third spot on the roster.
Yeah I agree with that he made some great snags backman made a couple catches too it will be intresting to say the least.. What about Henry I didn't see him play I don't think everyone is talking about him

OP
OP
Snoops

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another player I wanna see more of is Trevor Davis be nice to see him take a deep pass from Rodgers on a bomb! Overall mr Capt. What's ur take on the game who are u most excited to see going forward?

D

Deleted member 6794

What's ur take on the game who are u most excited to see going forward?

I think it's way too early to get excited about a player after the first preseason game but I was impressed with Jason Spriggs, who hopefully turns into a decent tackle.

OP
OP
Snoops

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he is a big man he did good in pass protection highly means bahktiari will be to expensive in free agency and they will feel comfortable letting him go

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah he is a big man he did good in pass protection highly means bahktiari will be to expensive in free agency and they will feel comfortable letting him go

Spriggs being able to adequately replace Bakhtiari in 2017 would save the Packers a lot of money.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another player I wanna see more of is Trevor Davis be nice to see him take a deep pass from Rodgers on a bomb! Overall mr Capt. What's ur take on the game who are u most excited to see going forward?
Trevor Davis made some nice grabs and showed he has strength in his hands. Im most excited to see more of Kyler Fackrell who had a gorgeous sack last night. Also Carl Bradford who finally steppes up and made some plays. Jason Spriggs did a nice job from what i could tell. He is definitely our Tackle of the future.

H

HardRightEdge

As Rodgers observed in the sideline interview, Callahan has that "gamer" quality, a term I used in past years to describe Flynn. What's a gamer? In my book he's a guy who does whatever it takes, improvises when he has to, and grinds it out. His field vision looks pretty good in picking up those open TEs. He's pretty nifty sliding around inside and out of the pocket. He avoided being picked, which is a big plus.

On the other hand, it's questionable whether he has NFL arm strength. I was a little disappointed to see the same thing in this game that was in the college tape: when he has to zip the ball 20+ yards from where he's standing he goes to the windup. That 1/10 or 2/10 of a second in release time can make all the difference in hitting a tight window downfield or avoiding a rusher getting a hand on the ball especially since he's a short guy. "Quick release" and "arm strength" are not abstract concepts.

Williams? Clearly the better athlete. Better arm strength, outstanding runner...just as in the college tape. But as Gannon observed, his footwork is a bit of a mess. He often throws back foot rather than driving the ball with weight transfer forward. If he can fix that, the arm strength gets better. One thing I'd be concerned about is that exchange with A. Rodgers on the sidelines. They were commiserating over Rodgers notepad, Rodgers pointed to something and said something, and Williams reaction was arms out, palms up in what looked like a gesture of protest. Rodgers just kept looking at the notepad and said nothing more...then cutaway. It would be funny if Williams said, "But you're Aaron Rodgers; that's advanced degree stuff and I'm just a freshman." Not so funny if he finds this pro style stuff frustrating.

If you put the best qualities of these two players together you get something that looks like...wait for it....Brett Hundley.

I don't know how much I'll be commenting further on these guys. I don't think anybody would want to see either of them on the field for a regular season game this year. Perhaps not ever, but that remains to be seen.

H

HardRightEdge

Carl Nassib, a high 3rd. round pick out of what used to be called Linebacker U., looks like he's going to be a pretty good football player. Oh, wait, this is the Packer forum. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts