Week 2 Studs and Duds vs Jets

Reaction score
Hate to sound like a broken record.. Mike Daniels! Jamari Lattimore and Davone House most improved. Guion was integral in the Jets leading rusher getting 43 yards. He played with emotion and fervor and he's improving.
Of course Jordy.. Hats off to him. But it was a meager 50 yards of Davante Adams that left the biggest impression. He looks bigger live than he is.

H

HardRightEdge

If you're going to ding Rodgers for the sacks then you need to ding Nelson for the 2 drops, not to mention the drop in week 1 that resulted in an INT. Personally, I'd ding neither...it's nit picking good performances. Just saaaaaaayin'. God, I hate that expression.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with those who thought Neal had a nice game. He moved Smith off his spot several times; he contributed to the effective run D. The incredible shrinking Neal is still a half step slow to be a really good edge rusher, but he can be disruptive.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with those who thought Neal had a nice game. He moved Smith off his spot several times; he contributed to the effective run D. The incredible shrinking Neal is still a half step slow to be a really good edge rusher, but he can be disruptive.
The thing about Neal is that he's almost always right...there....just as the ball is leaving the QBs hand. He's great for pressures, not so much for sacks. It's better than what they get out of Perry most of the time and Mulumba as well, but if he could just finish better he'd really be something.

H

HardRightEdge

The thing about Neal is that he's almost always right...there....just as the ball is leaving the QBs hand. He's great for pressures, not so much for sacks. It's better than what they get out of Perry most of the time and Mulumba as well, but if he could just finish better he'd really be something.
Yeah, between Neal and Perry you have to take Neal even if Neal is a 1/2 step slow. Perry's just not a very good football player...he's got a bull rush and that's about it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, between Neal and Perry you have to take Neal even if Neal is a 1/2 step slow. Perry's just not a very good football player...he's got a bull rush and that's about it.

Neal looks more impressive and more fluid but I'm getting sick of him missing what should be routine sacks. Had another one on Sunday that would have erased 3 of the Jets points.

I think Perry would be the more productive pass rusher, When he does close on the quarterback he does it with decisiveness and violence. But perhaps the coaches think his zone drops, coverage and overall play in space are too much of an adventure. If this is the case I would agree.

H

HardRightEdge

Neal looks more impressive and more fluid but I'm getting sick of him missing what should be routine sacks. Had another one on Sunday that would erased 3 of the Jets points.

I think Perry would be the more productive pass rusher when he does close on the quarterback he does it with decisiveness and violence. But perhaps the coaches think his zone drops, coverage and overall play in space are too much of an adventure.
Perry's bad in the run game...he still doesn't seem to know what to look for...and he should by now. He still takes bad angles and he's a sucker for misdirection. I don't think they have had him cover anybody past the flats this year. I doubt he'll be around once his contract is up. Strike that...I doubt we'll offer him any more than 4th. OLB pay.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry's bad in the run game...he still doesn't seem to know what to look for...and he should by now. He still takes bad angles and he's a sucker for misdirection. I don't think they have had him cover anybody past the flats this year. I doubt he'll be around once his contract is up. Strike that...I doubt we'll offer him any more than 4th. OLB pay.

You're being a bit broad here. No OLB on the team including CM3 and Peppers sets an edge like Perry. When he's in position, that is.

H

HardRightEdge

You're being a bit broad here. No OLB on the team including CM3 and Peppers sets an edge like Perry. When he's in position, that is.
The broadness of my comments does not exceed the narrowness of Perry's skills. If he was out there setting an edge and his paycheck was blowing across to the other side of the field, he'd take the wrong angle.

It's easy to set an edge if that's all you thing you have to do...just stay on your feet and keep moving toward the sidelines. The art is in setting it when the runner is going there, and not when he isn't.

Reaction score
Nice analogy. Haha.
The broadness of my comments does not exceed the narrowness of Perry's skills. If he was out there setting an edge and his paycheck was blowing across to the other side of the field, he'd take the wrong angle.

It's easy to set an edge if that's all you thing you have to do...just stay on your feet and keep moving toward the sidelines. The art is in setting it when the runner is going there, and not when he isn't.
e

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Another one if those 1st rd gems were still waiting to blossom haha . Can't even crack the starting lineup...I'll give Daytone one more year before I put him in the bust group with, Perry, and Sherrod.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another one if those 1st rd gems were still waiting to blossom haha . Can't even crack the starting lineup...I'll give Daytone one more year before I put him in the bust group with, Perry, and Sherrod.

Yeah, getting to be too many of those. The trick is knowing when to cut bait.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

How can people call Sherrod a bust? I can't only because of his injury..He would need at least next year to be prove himself in my eyes

H

HardRightEdge

How can people call Sherrod a bust? I can't only because of his injury..He would need at least next year to be prove himself in my eyes
Sherrod still has the same problem he's always had...he doesn't use his hands and finish blocks. He rides his man to the backside of the pocket...then lets him go and gets burned on second effort. I liked this pick at the time, but he may lack sufficient nastiness.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree Sherrod's nastiness is in question as it was with Newhouse. (I really don't understand with all that is at stake how players can let not finishing blocks effect the longevity of their careers.) Also I wonder how much the injury has affected Sherrod's quickness.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And How's he going to do that? If Bulaga is healthy?? another 1st rd gem who's often injured... Anyways he's got right tackle locked up and Bak has the other tackle spot locked up. I hope haHa turns out to be good my God I can't deal with anymore first rd picks who Can't at least be impact players and stay healthy.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree Sherrod's nastiness is in question as it was with Newhouse. (I really don't understand with all that is at stake how players can let not finishing blocks effect the longevity of their careers.) Also I wonder how much the injury has affected Sherrod's quickness.
As far as quickness goes, I'm not seeing any decline in Sherrod.

I don't get it either...he rides guys around the pocket, is in position, then lets them separate. It wouldn't surprise me if opposing pass rushers start counting on it if they haven't already...why try an inside move and give up the edge when the outside move gives you a shot at 2.5 seconds even if beaten on the first effort?

What makes this particularly concerning is when he lets guys go from the backside of the pocket they come at Rodgers from the true blind side...from behind.

It just seems like a lack of focus and intensity. Maybe he needs an ADHD diagnosis and a prescription for Adderal, though the "hyperactivity" might be a hard sell. :confused:

Despite all that, he's still a step up from Newhouse.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not sure we got a good look at Sherrod's quickness before he got hurt. I think he was still at the stage of thinking too much rather than letting his athletic ability take over. If his athleticism isn't affected, he should have all the ingredients needed except finishing which of course is just a matter of "want to". Very frustrating if that's what leads to his downfall in Green Bay; but's that's what led to Newhouse's IMO. Agree about him being a step up from Newhouse.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure we got a good look at Sherrod's quickness before he got hurt. I think he was still at the stage of thinking too much rather than letting his athletic ability take over. If his athleticism isn't affected, he should have all the ingredients needed except finishing which of course is just a matter of "want to". Very frustrating if that's what leads to his downfall in Green Bay; but's that's what led to Newhouse's IMO. Agree about him being a step up from Newhouse.

A one armed man is a step up from Newhouse.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as quickness goes, I'm not seeing any decline in Sherrod.

I don't get it either...he rides guys around the pocket, is in position, then lets them separate. It wouldn't surprise me if opposing pass rushers start counting on it if they haven't already...why try an inside move and give up the edge when the outside move gives you a shot at 2.5 seconds even if beaten on the first effort?

What makes this particularly concerning is when he lets guys go from the backside of the pocket they come at Rodgers from the true blind side...from behind.

It just seems like a lack of focus and intensity. Maybe he needs an ADHD diagnosis and a prescription for Adderal, though the "hyperactivity" might be a hard sell. :confused:

Despite all that, he's still a step up from Newhouse.

One of McGinn's Personnel guys has questioned Sherrod's confidence, which certainly could explain his uneven play. He struggled mightily in Seattle and again in the first quarter and a half last Sunday. But for the last 2 quarters he was pretty solid. I seem to recall Campen talking to Sherrod on the sidelines after one of his screwups, kind of looked like a good ring coach squaring away a shaky boxer.

My takeaways, when he has been on he has looked very impressive on occasion. However, he struggles out of the gate at times and seems to compound mistakes. However, he does battle back admirably and he seems to be very responsive to in game coaching. Can't say I've seen a lot of guys struggle so much in game and then completely turn things around after talking it over with his Coach. I think a more conservative playbook towards his end of the line to the start games and then give him more responsibility after he works through the opening jitters.

Final thought, it's not helping matters that we another first year starter at Center. We can't roll as many resources or Coaches' time to Sherrod as we might like with Linsley starting at Center.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Final thought, it's not helping matters that we another first year starter at Center. We can't roll as many resources or Coaches' time to Sherrod as we might like with Linsley starting at Center.
My guess is Sherrod is getting plenty of time with coaches. As for help, if Linsley needs any it better come from Sitton because Lang will mostly be facing Suh. So the RT will be on his own - IMO the help Sherrod needs is more of the TE or RB variety anyway.

The good news at OC is it looks like either Linsley or Tretter will be the long-term answer there and the other one will be a more than adequate backup at OC and probably at OG too. Rodgers may have to adjust to not having to adjust to yet another starting OC.

Members online

Latest posts