Packer Draft Needs and 1st Round

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yep. But had JJ played at WISC anything like he has since his second season in the NFL, he would have gone #1. The tape on him was good, but not amazing. Texans took him there based on athleticism as much as on field production and it paid off huge.

Now I would bet a lot that TJ is not as good as JJ at the next level. Mostly because older brother genuinely has a case to be in the discussion for best defensive player of all time. So that's about as high as the bar gets.

But I do believe that, barring injuries derailing him, TJ is one of the safer prospects that could be available to the Packers and with a crazy high ceiling.

People tend to look at the athletic profile types as the risky guys and the big production players as the safer picks, but I tend to think it's reversed when it comes to edge prospects. Traits like Watt's just don't bust very often. And when they do it's often got a lot to do with not being able to hold weight or not being invested in the game. Those aren't going to be his problems.

I think Watt needs to bulk up a tad and projects better as a 4-3 end then a 3-4 OLB. I think that would be the ideal situation for him. Kind of like a Jarred Allen type. Not the best for Packers.

So for me Watt is a tad bit of reach here and then a potential scheme fit issue. Dont need to take such obvious risks here. Pass.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
All I know is ........I don't want to hear this after the first round about our selection:

"We really like this kids attitude, athleticism and potential. Although he didn't play a lot of this position/scheme in college, we think that we can make a nice "fill in position/scheme" out of him."

Stop thinking you can turn a guy into something he may not be TT and get a player who fits the position and the scheme that the Packers are using! Save those kinds of picks for the 6th, 7th and UDFA's!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
All I know is ........I don't want to hear this after the first round about our selection:

"We really like this kids attitude, athleticism and potential. Although he didn't play a lot of this position/scheme in college, we think that we can make a nice "fill in position/scheme" out of him."

Stop thinking you can turn a guy into something he may not be TT and get a player who fits the position and the scheme that the Packers are using! Save those kinds of picks for the 6th, 7th and UDFA's!

That's why they need to draft Charles Harris. "Plug and Play" and good bye Clay.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I could seriously see us ending up with Fabian Moreau. When you look at all these UCLA players TT has drafted (Clark,Jones,Franklin) with high picks it makes sense.

Plus Moreau is said to be a good locker room guy at UCLA like Franklin was. It all kind of makes sense.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Mixon will probably be dangling there at 29 and some scouts consider him the best player in the whole draft so no need to trade up to get him.

I wouldn't mind if they traded up to get Lattimore or Ruben Foster is he starts dropping a bit.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why they need to draft Charles Harris. "Plug and Play" and good bye Clay.

Charles Harris might be a good pass rusher but his 3-cone was terrible @ 7.47 seconds. That's kind of scary if you're asking the guy to move in space. I mean, he placed in the 14th percentile in the 3-cone and his 20-yard shuttle was also pretty bad, placing him in the 47th percentile. His broad jump (a pretty good indicator of explosion) was awful, in the 19th percentile of this draft class. Are those things the only elements to look at? No, but they are bad enough that I would certainly be scared of using a first round pick on the guy.

I would rather see the Packers go after a guys like Marlon Humphrey, Melifonwu, Taco Charlton (c'mon, who doesn't want a guy named Taco?) or Tre'Davious White.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Charles Harris might be a good pass rusher but his 3-cone was terrible @ 7.47 seconds. That's kind of scary if you're asking the guy to move in space. I mean, he placed in the 14th percentile in the 3-cone and his 20-yard shuttle was also pretty bad, placing him in the 47th percentile. His broad jump (a pretty good indicator of explosion) was awful, in the 19th percentile of this draft class. Are those things the only elements to look at? No, but they are bad enough that I would certainly be scared of using a first round pick on the guy.

I would rather see the Packers go after a guys like Marlon Humphrey, Melifonwu, Taco Charlton (c'mon, who doesn't want a guy named Taco?) or Tre'Davious White.

The only guy I want off that list is White in 1st round.

Harris didn't feel well at the combine. Go check out his pro day numbers. "night and day"

I understand the purpose of the combine but its not the "bible of athleticism" and certainly not the only measure when evaluating talent. These guys have 15-50 games on tape yet people run to the combine for answers. Cracks me up.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the purpose of the combine but its not the "bible of athleticism" and certainly not the only measure when evaluating talent. These guys have 15-50 games on tape yet people run to the combine for answers. Cracks me up.

We need a bit of both. A NFL appearance is a different animal compared to college football, both in player quality and physical/mental expectations. Physical fitness is the based while game tapes are to check for salient characteristics, like reaction time, decision making, intelligence, ability to think and make plays etc. You can't always build a play around the player (unless it's an elite player or a QB) so we need players who has characteristics to function in a variety of situations and obvious speed/strength drawbacks will have a big impact.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We need a bit of both. A NFL appearance is a different animal compared to college football, both in player quality and physical/mental expectations. Physical fitness is the based while game tapes are to check for salient characteristics, like reaction time, decision making, intelligence, ability to think and make plays etc. You can't always build a play around the player (unless it's an elite player or a QB) so we need players who has characteristics to function in a variety of situations and obvious speed/strength drawbacks will have a big impact.

Well he was specifically calling out Harris's not so good combine numbers so I pointed to his pro day. Funny how a different day can have such different results.

I agree mostly with your take and while great combine numbers are nice there is something also to be said for production. Guys that go into the combine with so so production and light it up in some work outs scare the heck out of me. I do like TT's approach when drafting production and it's landed a lot of good players especially on offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I could seriously see us ending up with Fabian Moreau. When you look at all these UCLA players TT has drafted (Clark,Jones,Franklin) with high picks it makes sense.

Plus Moreau is said to be a good locker room guy at UCLA like Franklin was. It all kind of makes sense.

I'm worried about Moreau's torn pectoral muscle though as he possibly won't be ready for the start of the season.

What about trading up? Anyone who can make an rookie impact and worth the cost?

Marshon Lattimore is most likely the only cornerback available who would immediately make an impact as well as address the Packers most glaring weakness. The price to trade up for him is way too steep though as it would cost the Packers this and next year's first round pick as well as a second and third rounder.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually glad the media is doing this for once. I wish they'd do it for everyone. People are declared guilty in the court of public opinion over these things on just an allegation. At least wait until charges are brought forward and there has been deemed enough evidence to move forward.

I know it's probably just because it's a football player and he may have a big name, and the rest of us wouldn't be afforded any leeway in these matters, but they should.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm actually glad the media is doing this for once. I wish they'd do it for everyone. People are declared guilty in the court of public opinion over these things on just an allegation. At least wait until charges are brought forward and there has been deemed enough evidence to move forward.

I know it's probably just because it's a football player and he may have a big name, and the rest of us wouldn't be afforded any leeway in these matters, but they should.

Innocent until proven guilty, that is unless you invoke the Alford Plea or any other legal shenanigans. I agree with you though, that an allegation isn't proof of anything and the media needs to stop being so eager to make headlines, but they won't, nor will the internet.

The contrary to that is the old way of things getting "swept under the rug" and nobody knows anything about what actually happened or maybe that anything happened at all. I would prefer things as they are now, over that way, when people could buy their way out of things or know the right people, but both have their downsides, too much.....or too little information.

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Well that won't hurt TV ratings Thursday night. Lol.
Sheez does there really need to be more drama interjected?
The drama won't wait until Thursday, I already saw something on Twitter that the guy in question is..... Gareon Conley.
http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/25/nfl-prospect-gareon-conley-accused-of-****-denies-allegations/

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Figured it was an Ohio State guy. We got Delvin Cook with suspected gang affiliation. Guys can't pass UA's when they know there getting tested. Conley now accused of ****.

Mixon starting to look like a choir boy. :cool:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conley was a guy I've had interest in, but recent mocks have him shooting way up, as far as #5. A guy I'm checking out, and feel could/should be available up until mid2nd round, is Cordrea Tankersly,CB, Clemson. What thoughts on him?
I also feel that without a trade up, we'll end up with the 4th or 5th best guys at the positions we're looking at.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Whether it happened or didn't happen, this could be hard for Conley to get from underneath it in 2 days time.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Conley was a guy I've had interest in, but recent mocks have him shooting way up, as far as #5. A guy I'm checking out, and feel could/should be available up until mid2nd round, is Cordrea Tankersly,CB, Clemson. What thoughts on him?
I also feel that without a trade up, we'll end up with the 4th or 5th best guys at the positions we're looking at.

Love Tankersley but fits a system more like the SeaHawks ideally and I expect Seattle to take him in 2nd ahead of us. He is a much faster Gunter.

I would take him in a heartbeat but not at 29.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Innocent until proven guilty, that is unless you invoke the Alford Plea or any other legal shenanigans. I agree with you though, that an allegation isn't proof of anything and the media needs to stop being so eager to make headlines, but they won't, nor will the internet.

The contrary to that is the old way of things getting "swept under the rug" and nobody knows anything about what actually happened or maybe that anything happened at all. I would prefer things as they are now, over that way, when people could buy their way out of things or know the right people, but both have their downsides, too much.....or too little information.
There s a difference between sweeping under a rug and waiting to report facts once an investigation occurs. I admit that line is blurry, but the rush to report on allegations at times is crazy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Whether it happened or didn't happen, this could be hard for Conley to get from underneath it in 2 days time.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

He is an idiot and don't want him anymore whether he is innocent or not. Days before the draft and is out messing around and taking risks.

"10 cent head"

Members online

Latest posts